Charles and Camilla: The Marriage (2005 and on)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So true. As long as Charles and Camilla are happy with their living arrangements, who is anyone to gainsay them?

Last edited:
I once heard an American socialite say that the very things that the press took her to task for were the things that made her husband happy with her. Seems to me that if the couple in question are happy with each other, do they really need to justify it to anyone not actually involved? (Although, I must confess to a certain vicarious enjoyment in arguing the matter with other people who are also not directly involved. :::laughs:::)

I'm glad that out of all the mess, Charles and Camilla have found happiness and they seem to share it with the people they love. I can't find a place in my heart to see anything wrong with that.

I never took into consideration that Camilla's kids and grandkids would want to visit her without the fuss of going to the house of the Prince of Wales.

:previous: Charles, William and Harry know the history and "value" of each stick of furniture, and the provenance of every knick-knack. Can you not imagine Tom, Laura and their spouses having a collective heart attack every time their beloved toddlers eyed a shiny object.

Visiting "Mum/Grandma" would be a nightmare! At their own place they probably have their own keys, and can act like a normal, rough and tumble, family. Tom and Laura know that there were already dents and marks on the antiques.

I once saw a Documentary where either Andrew or Edward talked about using a pedal car in a fabulously decorated long, wide and airy type of hall. Looking back he was a little shamefaced about the damage he had caused in all innocence by just being a child!

It makes Camilla's annual, very short, after Christmas visit to her own home not only entirely understandable, but commendable, in fact.

Charles has yet to deal with the "Grandchildren" problem although it was lovely to see that he is obviously no stranger to his "Steps", as illustrated in their annual Christmas Card. Whether he is ready to face kids in their "Destructercon" phase is, as yet, unknown.

I also/heard read somewhere in line with this same scenario that Charles wasn't able to put up with the noisy, chaotic atmosphere of Camilla's grandchildren coming to visit. He prefers his peace and quiet and order, so in this case her separate establishment is ideal for having the family over while he enjoys the tranquillity at Highgrove. In this case, everyone is happy and has the best of both worlds.

Last edited:
If I were in the position of Camila's children, I would be terrified of bringing the little ones to Highgrove/Clarence House. It would be like visiting a museum, and I'd constantly worry that in a bout of energy and boredom, my kids would break something or make a mess. I think the arrangement works for all parties involved; Camila gets to spend time her her grandkids without the worry of making too much racket, and Charles gets his few days' worth of quiet and a clean house to boot.

:previous: Actually, I was thinking how rare it is for Charles to have any time absolutely on his own. His entire life is diarised to the last moment, as is Camilla's now. How wonderful for him to have time to quietly think, relax, contemplate and plan. And for Camilla to have time to get a heavy one-shot dose of her family without strangers calling time.

Mmm, perfect!

Thinking about the hard life Charles has had with never being alone and hardly being spontaneous, plus his job/life tethers him closely to his parents and siblings despite th fact that he is in his 60's. It's understandable that he would want a place for solitude. I'm almost a hermit myself so I'm a little jealous.

Whether he is ready to face kids in their "Destructercon" phase is, as yet, unknown.

I would argue that he is fully familiar with this phase having been a father and an uncle as well as a much older sibling to very young children - he is afterall 16 years older than Edward so would have experienced that phase within his own family before he was 20 and then again when Anne's, his and Andrew's children were at that phase and now Edward's children. He probably has less contact with Edward's than he did with the others, simply because of the age gap between his own children and Edward's but he has certainly experienced that destructive phase throughout his life since he was in his mid-teens.

I would argue that he is fully familiar with this phase having been a father and an uncle as well as a much older sibling to very young children .

Plus it is known that he used to hang around Camilla and Andrew Parker Bowles' home a lot when Camilla's children were small. I seem to recall it was mentioned in one of the Diana biographies that he came over from Highgrove to sit in C.'s kitchen with her and her kids when he had struggled with Diana. So he surely knows this side of her as well. And the way he behaved around Little Eliza at the wedding showed to me that he is used to hold and amuse this little lady. It is know that he always wanted a daughter - I wouldn't wonder if he loves Camilla's kids, especially Laura, very much and takes delight in her/their grandchildren.

I wouldn't wonder if he loves Camilla's kids, especially Laura, very much and takes delight in her/their grandchildren.

I would imagine he is quite at ease with both Tom and Laura from knowing them all of their lives. He is also Tom Parker-Bowles godfather.

I would argue that he is fully familiar with this phase having been a father and an uncle as well as a much older sibling to very young children - he is after all 16 years older than Edward so would have experienced that phase within his own family before he was 20 and then again when Anne's, his and Andrew's children were at that phase and now Edward's children. He probably has less contact with Edward's than he did with the others, simply because of the age gap between his own children and Edward's but he has certainly experienced that destructive phase throughout his life since he was in his mid-teens.
When my siblings children were young I adored the way the whirled through tbe house, happy, excited, grubby and usually with an equally grubby four footed friend in tow. However, when those same nieces and nephews arrive with their offspring I find myself not nearly so sanguine.

My house is that filled with adults and the advent of short people means a quick whip around to remove my beloved breakables (or what's left after the quake) and child-proofing the living areas so the kids come to no harm. Making sure the ensuites are secure as make-up makes excellent mud pies and is really great for fingerpainting the walls! My sisters know every stick of furniture in my house and take care that the really small children learn the word "gently" when they include my Chihuahua in their fun. Basically they chase him and if they ever catch him I think the may squeeze him like a tube of toothpaste if "gentle" doesn't take root.

But this is my house and I am not used to having kids having the run of the place and to be honest, I doubt Charles is either. I think he is starting to get into the "Poppa" zone with his stepchildren but it takes time and its been twenty three years since therr has been a toddlers making themselves at home in his home.

My aunt and uncle had their son four years ago, when both were in their late thirties. They're lucky to be living in the apartment that is right underneath my grandparents, so whenever they need to run errands or go out for the evening, they have babysitters right on hand. Now, my grandparents are in their mid-seventies, and even though they love children, and I remember when they used to run around and play with me, are not that young or energetic anymore. So, when my four-year-old cousin comes to stay with them, it's very hard for all parties involved. He wants to run around and let out some energy, but my grandfather would like some peace and quiet while he's surfing the net, and my grandmother doesn't have the stamina to run after the little boy (though she wishes she could). I think when people get older, they want more serene atmosphere, and when young children are involved, that's just not possible. I think Charles would be a great (step) grandpa when it comes to sitting down and reading a book, or maybe drawing/coloring, but I can see him being a little overwhelmed when there's a horde of little ones running around playing tag, and asking him to join in (and he probably is thinking that if they run any closer to that little coffee table with an antique vase on it, there will be trouble, because that vase came from Queen Victoria and cannot be replaced [yes, I'm just being facetious, but I won't put that thought past His Highness :D]).

Seeing as how your not Prince Charles, it doesn't matter if you see what he likes about the "Parker Bowles woman". He likes her, he loves her, he married her THE END!

It matters to me, because when I don't understand something, it bothers me. Has he ever praised Camilla for her beauty? Her dress sense? If he has publicly praised her for anything, please show me. (Since I can't think of any right now) Why have they never done any interviews together? Why hasn't Camilla done ANY interviews at all?

Maybe because they are smart and understand that you should never discuss your private life. They are not Hollywood celebrities after all. Maybe he had enough of his first wife talking to the media and reporters about their life , and now they just want to settle back and enjoy their life privately. The public is not entitled to know everything about every public persons private life.

Last edited:
And time apart spent apart may very well strengthen their relationship as it does with other marriages. They're also not obligated to give public interviews. Charles may very well tell his wife personal and complimentary things behind closed doors, but that doesn't mean he has to proclaim them in public for us to hear.

Last edited:
Maybe because they are smart and understand that you should never discuss your private life. They are not Hollywood celebrities after all. Maybe he had enough of his first wife talking to the media and reporters about their life , and now they just want to settle back and enjoy their life privately. The public is not entitled to know everything about every public persons private life.

Who knows, maybe I might actually change my mind about Camilla if she did do an interview! Prince Charles has done many interviews by himself (and a few with Diana).

Please note that since Diana has nothing to do with this thread (i.e. Charles and Camilla: The Marriage 2005 and on), all off topic (and argumentative) posts have been deleted.

If you have any questions, please contact any of the British moderators via Private Message.

Zonk
British Forums Moderator

Charles has, on many occasions, referred to 'his darling wife' so that is clear that he is telling the world what he thinks of Camilla.

Camilla has never given an interview and I doubt if she ever will. Charles, other than on specific issues, has only given the one and was, rightly condemned for that interview.

The British royals try hard to keep their private lives exactly that - with the exception of the early 90s.

Since this thread is about the years since 2005 we haven't had interviews since the engagement that year because of the way the interviews turned out in earlier years.

And time apart spent apart may very well strengthen their relationship as it does with other marriages. They're also not obligated to give public interviews. Charles may very well tell his wife personal and complimentary things behind closed doors, but that doesn't mean he has to proclaim them in public for us to hear.

If I don't hear it, then it doesn't happen, as far I know. If they don't want to give interviews, then I will think whatever about them I want. If it's incorrect, they can do an interview and correct my misconceptions. If they don't want to do that, oh well.

If I don't hear it, then it doesn't happen, as far I know. If they don't want to give interviews, then I will think whatever about them I want. If it's incorrect, they can do an interview and correct my misconceptions. If they don't want to do that, oh well.

I somehow doubt it's of prime importance to the Duke and Duchess to grant interviews to correct whatever notions and misconceptions people may have about them.

Then there must be a lot that doesn't happen if you have to hear something to believe it.

Watching Charles and Camilla together they seem to have a loving, supportive and touching marriage. They seem very comfortable together.

Let's please not give into the people who want to detour this thread with the negative. Charles and Camilla should live for themselves and their family, not for people they don't know and who will never be happy with them. The way they carry themselves gives me much respect for them.

Let's please not give into the people who want to detour this thread with the negative. Charles and Camilla should live for themselves and their family, not for people they don't know and who will never be happy with them. The way they carry themselves gives me much respect for them.

I am with you - they are happy together and that is what should matter. When we see them they are smiling and laughing together more than anything else.

I wonder you were even born as if, as you obviously couldn't hear your parents, then it didn't happen. And if you think that statement is rude and vulgar you are right.

It is also rude and vulgar to demand Prince Charles and/or Camilla go on TV and bare their souls and the intimate details of their private lives for your private edification just to correct your misconceptions. My you give a new meaning to the term "It's all about me".

Whoever do you think you are to demand such a thing? You are indeed free to think what you like but there is only so much pouting we can take before it becomes annoying. You will never get your demands so please let that be enough

Last edited:
I will respectfully disagree; there is much more tolerance for pro-Camilla posts whereas similar pro-Diana posts are many times deleted. Personally, I don't think there needs to be a competition between the dead Princess and an alive Camilla; under the circumstances, it can hardly be fair to either side.

I do very much believe that Camilla has brought much happiness to - and has very much settled - the Prince of Wales, and I am glad for both of them. Only good can come from his happiness and I'm sure he will be a better king because of the security of being in a happy and secure marriage with Camilla. That said, it is not necessary to put Diana down in order to raise up Camilla's reputation. I think the more relaxed and content PoW that we all can see does that for Camilla far more effectively than any dissection of the past could ever accomplish. In fact, I strongly believe that if Camilla's boosters were as generous to Diana's memory as they are to Camilla's and Charles' mistakes, then much of the rancour that is left would disappear and Camilla would benefit.:flowers:

I have to say that while I may not agree with every single aspect of your opinion, you do make some excellent points. I enjoy this forum so much because even the "rabid" appearing fans of the late Diana do not go to the almost insane lengths I have seen elsewhere. (There are some truly scary people out there on the subject.) At least here, people are polite and willing to courteously listen to another's opinion whether they agree or not.

I admit to being a diehard Diana fan and, while not entirely thrilled at the prospect of Camilla by comparison, I have been won over by Camilla's grace and her efforts to do the "right thing" for the man she's married to even when she seems to be somewhat uncomfortable in the limelight. I find that I enjoy seeing pictures and videos of CnC together. They interact so beautifully that it is a joy to watch them. To partially quote a piece of my youth, may they live long and prosper.

I wonder you were even born as if, as you obviously couldn't hear your parents, then it didn't happen. And if you think that statement is rude and vulgar you are right.

I is also rude and vulgar to demand Prince Charles and/or Camilla go on TV and bare their souls and the intimate details of their private lives for your private edification just to correct your misconceptions. My you give a new meaning to the term "It's all about me".

Whoever do you think you are to demand such a thing? You are indeed free to think what you like but there is only so much pouting we can take before it becomes annoying. You will never get your demands so please let that be enough
I am quite sure that there is a rule on this forum about not insulting other posters. Calling some one "rude and vulgar" and 'annoying' certainly falls into that category. Others are entitled to opinions different from your own. What right do you have to tell others to stop posting their opinions? As for 'There's only so much we can take', you do not speak for everyone on the forum.

I think Camilla is wise to avoid interviews.
Why give the press the opportunity to pillory her?
The press never seem to like shades of gray; it's all saint/sinner with them.

But I think most rational people comprehend that there was fault on all sides, and that what matters is the way people conduct themselves now apres la deluge!

Camilla has been behaving with great dignity and has left the press with little that is negative to report, and I respect her for that.

Back
Top Bottom