Charles and Camilla: The Marriage (2005 and on)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't believe Diana would have ever cheated if Charles had loved her and remained faithful to her.

We won't ever know, but the fact that she herself conducted an affair with a married man whose wife felt betrayed shows me that she didn't think that highly of marriage and faithfulness. It`'s strange but I think the affairs with Charles and married women pre-wedding happened because it was for him a safe opportunity, for the women it was part of their society live. If your marriage cooled down and yoh had given your husband an heir, you could do as you liked if you were discreet and the man was not married himself or he and his wife followed the same codex. I'm not aware that Charles had affairs after his marriage, except for Camilla, whose marriage was already on the point where APB had his own affairs, so was in a way "free" to have an affair. While Charles only started with Camilla when his marriage was really broken down. And both stayed faithful to each other ever since.

Camilla was considered unsuitable in part because of all the lovers she had back then. Everything I have read talks about that as being a big reason she was never considered. Also Camilla was in love with Andrew Parker Bowles and really wanted to marry him, she herself never thought she would be in for a real chance to be Charles's wife. As for the diagnosing of Diana I didn't realise these writers had done the years at university involved to actually diagnose someone with a mental illness.
If you had actually read what Dimbleby said - it was that he had done a lot of research and that she 'appeared' to fit the profile - not that she had that disorder but that she fitted the profile to a layman who had done a lot of research - like a lot of people we can research diseases etc and say 'that sounds just like xxxx'.

I also seem to remember Charles and Camilla telling people Diana was mad and there was no affair!

Most people will do this - when married to other people - it is normal.

Once it was in the public domain they didn't deny it but embraced the situation.

I do think history is going to be rewritten in a way that portrays Camilla and Charles as these two sad lovers etc.

They were

But in the early days he wasn't just with Camilla he was with Kanga and a few other married women. Camilla simply outlasted them all at one point she was out in the cold and Kanga was very much in with Charles.

He had a number of lovers pre-marriage but after the marriage only one as a lover - the others were friends.

In the end they have gotten together but they created one heck of a mess and caused a great deal of pain not just to Diana but to William and Harry as well.

Let's not forget the hurt Diana caused her sons and her husband - it wasn't all one way.

I don't believe Diana would have ever cheated if Charles had loved her and remained faithful to her.

Charles couldn't love her because she made him miserable. He was faced with two choices - have some love in his life and let his wife do the same thing or be totally miserable (but that would have made Diana happy according to many people).

I do believe Camilla has worked hard to get accepted into the RF and she likes being behind the scenes but she will have to step things up when Charles becomes King. It will be interesting to see what things are bought up again when the time comes.

What do you mean by 'step things up'? She is often out and about - sometimes with Charles of course but also on her own. She is doing about 200-300 engagements a years - much the same as some of the other royals.

Last edited:
He had a number of lovers pre-marriage but after the marriage only one as a lover - the others were friends.

This put it simply and eloquently. I'm of the opinion that after the marriage, Charles and the Parker-Bowles were part of the Highgrove set until per his wife's request, they were excluded as many people were at that time. I also strongly believe that Camilla and Charles did not renew their friendship which eventually turned into an affair until the Wales' marriage was way beyond repair.

Over the years Camilla has been a source of comfort and strength for Charles and through the years, the close intimacy of friendship gradually forged a deep relationship that any couple would be blessed to find in a marriage.

Let's get back on topic...the actual marriage of Charles and Camilla.

Not Charles and Diana's marriage. Not Charles and Camilla's affair. Not Diana's affairs with other men.

The Marriage.

Marriage of CnC, they seem to fit with each other perfectly and Charles appears to have so much more happiness and balance in his life. Also appears to have more confidence in who he is. I do wonder who brought up the topic of marriage first and if Camilla was set to just be his mistress for the rest of her life. Or if they both wanted to make it legal.

Marriage of CnC, they seem to fit with each other perfectly and Charles appears to have so much more happiness and balance in his life. Also appears to have more confidence in who he is. I do wonder who brought up the topic of marriage first and if Camilla was set to just be his mistress for the rest of her life. Or if they both wanted to make it legal.

It was the Queen who wanted Charles and Camilla to marry to normalise their relationship. It couldn't remain the way it was with Camilla as Charles's companion. The Queen wanted the 2 of them to marry while she was still young enough and fit enough for them to have a number of years to establish themselves as a working royal couple. And that's what has happened (wise Queen!) the situation with Charles and Camilla unmarried could not have stayed that way. It was a festering open wound type of situation.

It was the Queen who wanted Charles and Camilla to marry to normalise their relationship. It couldn't remain the way it was with Camilla as Charles's companion. The Queen wanted the 2 of them to marry while she was still young enough and fit enough for them to have a number of years to establish themselves as a working royal couple. And that's what has happened (wise Queen!) the situation with Charles and Camilla unmarried could not have stayed that way. It was a festering open wound type of situation.

What brought it to a head was the Van Cutsem wedding (I think that was the wedding) where Charles and the Queen were both invited, along with Camilla but because the Queen was invited Charles and Camilla weren't going to be allowed to sit together.

Well, since he didn't name a single credible "source" for all this wittering, I have to wonder where he got his information. Fact, Camilla is at her own home, so what? Perhaps the isolated Castle of Mey is her idea of hell. Who knows? Certainly not Adam Helliker. Could it be she merely wants to spend time with the noisy, messy, sticky-fingered grandchildren and Ray Mill is perfect for such a treat?

As for all the catty and downright bitchy snipes about Charles? Camilla (and her friends) have managed to keep their mouths shut all these years and suddenly they all develop a case of terminal run-at-the-mouth to a sleazy jouno? I don't think so.

As for Adam Helliker? He's just your garden variety journalist with the same moral reporting ethics as many former NOTW employees. He just doesn't have their budget to ensure his rhetoric rings true!

Camilla usually spends some time at RayMill each year about this time and again over part of the Christmas break - to be with her own children and grandchildren.

This is a non-story as it has been happening since they were first married.

Most married couples I know actually enjoy spending some time apart - it makes them appreciate their partner more when they are together and this is also far from unusual when one or both partners have children from previous relationships.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think this article ia very truthful. 3 days ago there was an article about Camill greeting charity hikers and the mother of a deceased soldier at Balmoral. And Prince Charles and Camilla are going to a race in Perth this week. Unless she is secretly Samantha from Bewitched I don't think she can be two places at the same time.

Last edited by a moderator:
As this thread isn't about Diana, please note that non relevant posts have been edited/deleted in order to ensure that the thread remains on topic.

Zonk
British Forums Moderator

I don't think this article ia very truthful. 3 days ago there was an article about Camill greeting charity hikers and the
mother of a deceased soldier at Balmoral. And Prince Charles and Camilla are going to a race in Perth this week. Unless she is secretly Samantha from Bewitched I don't think she can be two places at the same time.

I think actually both are possible - that she had a week with her own family but has now joined Charles in Scotland.

It has been about two and a half weeks since Zara's wedding. If Charles went straight to Birkhall and Camilla went to Raymill after the wedding she would have been able to have her week apart from Charles and still have been in Scotland for over a week.

Guess bad news sells more papers.
I think actually both are possible - that she had a week with her own family but has now joined Charles in Scotland.

It has been about two and a half weeks since Zara's wedding. If Charles went straight to Birkhall and Camilla went to Raymill after the wedding she would have been able to have her week apart from Charles and still have been in Scotland for over a week.

It is a poorly written article to say the least. It is written as if they are not togrther now when that is not the case. Also these quotes from friends of Camilla are old-I have read them before in other 'separate lives' articles.
The same thing happened at Christmas -Daily Mail headline- Camilla only spends 1 day with Charles. It was a non-story. She was splitting her time between the BRF and her kids/grandkids.
It seems no matter how happy and content they seem the press seem determined to find Trouble. I guess negative stories sell more papers.

yeah, I don't think there is anything weird about spending time apart - especially after years together. also, most the articles about the crisis in their marriage or whatever are pretty much made-up with no credible source

I'm not saying they never fight, because I'm sure they do, but so does everyone else

When you make someone your mistress (as Charles did with Camilla) and you are used to seeing them ONLY when you choose, I think it is very difficult to adjust to a life of being together all the time and living like a permanently married couple. It has been rumoured for a while now that Charles and Camilla do spend a lot of time apart. Then again, their relationship has always existed on that type of foundation.

Last edited:
Is anyone saying that "The Marriage" is in trouble ?

Some people hope the marriage is in trouble.

Some people believe the marriage is in trouble.

Personally I see a couple who are very comfortable together and also enjoy time with others besides their partner - like many normal couples actually.

I don't think there is any trouble in that marriage.

When you make someone your mistress (as Charles did with Camilla) and you are used to seeing them ONLY when you choose, I think it is very difficult to adjust to a life of being together all the time and living like a permanently married couple. It has been rumoured for a while now that Charles and Camilla do spend a lot of time apart. Then again, their relationship has always existed on that type of foundation.

Along with being his wife now, Camilla has also been a friend, companion, confidante, and lover among other things. This is a couple that have known each other for 30+ years and are well beyond the "stars in their eyes" couple. Its been stated several places that Charles really does value his alone time and Camilla loves to get down and dirty with the grandkids and family and just ramble around her own space. I really kind of envy their situation where they can be themselves as individuals and yet be so happy together. As much as I do love my husband, I would really love to be able to have more alone time. Being retired and together all the time is wonderful but I do miss my quiet times alone. :D

Yawn ! Same rubbish seen every year since 2005, the next "marriage on the rocks" stuff will be on Christmas. It's like the turkey it's traditional.
As Iluvbertie said some people (always the same, oh surprising) just hope, very hard, to see some troubles in this couple. I find very very sad to wait for any sign of unhappyness (and enjoying it) just to feed some kind of old revenge.
Thankfully the Wales are stronger than ever :

Prince Charles The Prince Of Wales And Camilla Duchess Of Cornwall

Last edited:
Its been stated several places that Charles really does value his alone time As much as I do love my husband, I would really love to be able to have more alone time. Being retired and together all the time is wonderful but I do miss my quiet times alone.

Yes I do think Charles has always been a bit of an introverted "loner" and quite happy to "do his own thing", which many romantic suitors would not usually understand. I think over the past 30 years Camilla has played her role as a mistress very well by giving Charles what he needed and also when he needed it. I for one treasure the time with my husband. A night out with the lads is still acceptable but I am not sure if I could deal with too many "extended" absences. I suppose a case of each to his own.

Last edited:
If everyone around PoW is doing everything to cater to HIS needs, I just wonder what he gives back? This is not ment as a criticism, but just wondering. I just seems to me that to be married into the BRF, you have to give up on your own personality in order to "fit" in. I couldn't do it

If everyone around PoW is doing everything to cater to HIS needs, I just wonder what he gives back? This is not ment as a criticism, but just wondering. I just seems to me that to be married into the BRF, you have to give up on your own personality in order to "fit" in. I couldn't do it

I don't think this situation has anything really to do with Charles being PoW or the BRF per se. Its more a case of two people who married later in life and are somewhat "set in their ways" in regards to certain things. Charles has always been known to be fastidious about things with everything in its place and not a thing out of place... he's like that even down to the shine of his shoes. Camilla on the other hand always had a more relaxed lifestyle with dogs running the house and kid's fingerprints on the walls I'd imagine. Going back to Ray Mill for a while gives Camilla breathing room to just be herself as it gives Charles his alone time to paint or read and breathe. I think its wonderful they can do this.

Everyone needs their own time to be themselves. When my husband and I retired 16 years ago I worried about being together too much. He had worked a swing shift for 34 years and I worked a steady day job. That meant some weeks we barely saw each other. To go from that to being together all the time was scary. We solved it and we have our own den's so we can each do our thing, and be together when we want. It may not work for everyone, but it does for us.

Some people hope the marriage is in trouble.

Some people believe the marriage is in trouble.

Personally I see a couple who are very comfortable together and also enjoy time with others besides their partner - like many normal couples actually.

I don't think there is any trouble in that marriage.

I agree. People make things up where they want to see some action. This is the strongest couple in the Royal World. As big of a fan of Diana as I feel I am, this is a happy ending. Time to move on.

As a loner, I applaud both Charles and Camilla for not needing to be on top of each other every day of their lives. Time a part is a good thing for some people and it seems CnC are some of those people. As for what Charles gives to Camilla, it is sad that when it comes to both her and Kate that people do not talk about what their husbands give to them in relation to love, support, happiness etc. It seems that most of the time the "male --> female" aspect is ignored or shallow, like all the men are good for or provide to their wives is a title and money.

Last edited:
I think William and Kate are very much a young couple in love and wanting to be together for the "right" reasons. In the case of Charles and Camilla, the problem is that when you marry the mistress you have had for the past 20 odd years, very little changes after the marriage. I think this is why Charles and Camilla are rumoured to still lead largely separate lives. This is the way it has always been. It suited both paries, so why should it change? Obviously Camilla's long wait has paid off and she has gained titles and wealth, which I am sure no one would say no to. However, basically all the marriage ring has done is allow Camilla to be seated at the same table as HM the Queen at functions of state.

Last edited:
:previous: Well, that puts things in perspective. Camilla, an intrepid social climber, married the heir to the throne of England, not, as we naive romantics imagined, for the "right" reason, and certainly not because she loved him because well, hell, they don't actually live as a normal husband and wife because he's an anal compulsive neat freak and she is basically still just the mistress with perks!

Oh no, her reasons were much more prosaic. She just wanted to sit at the same table as his mother!

Yeah, right.

Of all the insulting, mean and hurtful things said about Charles and Camilla, that is just plain nasty, and dressing it up with nice words doesn't change a or disguise the contempt with which you obviously seem to hold both them and their marriage.

Last edited:
I think William and Kate are very much a young couple in love and wanting to be together for the "right" reasons. In the case of Charles and Camilla, the problem is that when you marry the mistress you have had for the past 20 odd years, very little changes after the marriage. I think this is why Charles and Camilla are rumoured to still lead largely separate lives. This is the way it has always been. It suited both paries, so why should it change? Obviously Camilla's long wait has paid off and she has gained titles and wealth, which I am sure no one would say no to. However, basically all the marriage ring has done is allow Camilla to be seated at the same table as HM the Queen at functions of state.

Camilla gave up a lot of her private life and had to start working at the age when most women are retiring and yet she did it. She has had to visit countries where she hasn't been comfortable such as the Middle East. she has had to become very conscious of how she appears in public - no more slipping down to the corner store in her comfy clothes. She has had to endure being the most hated step-mother since Cinderella's.

Would you take on all that, and more, simply for a title and the right to sit with a particular woman at dinner? I don't know anyone who would.

Charles and Camilla behave like a married couple who have been together for years - not just the six since their wedding but for most of their adult lives. They are first and foremost friends. However they don't spend all their times on top of each other. For Camilla she wants to spend some time with her own children and grandchildren - understandable but Charles isn't as comfortable in that environment - they aren't his grandchildren. They don't smother each other but allow each other their own space - not something that many people understand but something that is common in many successful marriages. It is actually healthy to spend some time apart - it gives you things to talk about and makes the time together all the more precious.

For Charles and Camilla a lot change when they married - they committed themselves to each other and for Camilla that meant committing herself to the service of the nation for the rest of her life (some will argue that she doesn't do much but her most important service is surely making the heir to the throne happy for the first time since the late 70s) and a nation where she knew quite a few people despised her and some even hated her but still she did it - for a title and a few dinners - hardly - for love.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom