Charles and Camilla: The Marriage (2005 and on)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Or for that matter the one with The Princess Margaret? Well I know I forbade you to marry Group Captain Townsend when you were 4th in line and told you that you would have to give up your place in the succession and any money from the Civil List, but now Charles has made Camilla Non Negotiable so were going to have to give in, let him be continue to be heir to the Throne and retain the $million income from the Duchy of Cornwall...sorry I screwed up your life.

We have no real idea how the relationship between the Queen and her sister was at the end. Or if Margaret still harboured a grundge against her sister because of the strict "no" back then. Maybe Margaret had understood the reasoning and decided for herself that it wouldn't have been such a good idea. At least she was allowed to marry a rather unsuitable man later and her sister had allowed her to run wild as much as she wanted. I wish Beatrixfan would a dd a bit more input from the biographies he has read on Margaret.

As for "waiting" till Queen Mum and Margaret had passed: that happened in 2002 and still Charles and Camilla waited for 3 more years. No, IMHO - and this is as much speculation as anything else - Charles was tired of having to keep the woman he loved at the backburner, always to be afraid of gleeful, spitefully negative headlines when they were "caught" together, only because she was his mistress. As long as she was just his "girlfriend", he could not spend christmas with her, he could not take her with him on official trips, he could not have her by his side as much as they both surely wished. So IMHO the final straw was the Grosvenor-van Cutsem-wedding. Camilla had been friends with both the parents of the bride as well as as the groom but still it was not possible for her to be seated next to the man all people involved knew to be "her man" - because of the august presence of his parents. Look, this is plain ridiculous for a man and a woman of their age! So I guess Charles convinced Camilla that they should make a go for it. The important point for him IMHO was the question if she would receive a HRH and thus could share his social position with him. I don't think it mattered to any either him or her if she was "known as" "Princess of Wales" or "Duchess of Cornwall" or "Princess of Scotland" as long as she got the HRH. I doubt that for Camilla the title of Her Majesty is something she really cares about. What they both wanted was for her to be recognised as a full-fledged member of the family: by the Queen, by the family and by the public. That was what they got.

As for ever knowing the truth: Charles has been described as a man who believes in himself and his opinions, a man who wants the world to understand him and one who writes diaries which in part were already given to friends and even his biographer. I bet Charles has already started to select the parts of his diaries which shall be published once he is gone and made sure that they are not edited without his consent. At least that's what I believe. So just wait and see!

I'm sure there was discussion with the courtiers all the time, although not necessarily between The Queen and Prince Charles. But that's the way the Household and Private Secretaries run the business of the monarchy.

There was no point in Charles broaching the subject directly with his mother until after The Queen Mother's death. She made it quite clear it was not an option while her mother was still alive.
I have to disagree, :flowers: I believe that Charles and HM did discuss it. HM would then have discussed it with her senior advisers, who after the Diana affair advised her to 'let the dust settle' a little more. On the other hand knowing how much Charles loved QEQM, I do not believe he would wish to upset her by even suggesting marriage to a divorcee.

---snipped-- Charles was tired of having to keep the woman he loved at the backburner, always to be afraid of gleeful, spitefully negative headlines when they were "caught" together, only because she was his mistress. As long as she was just his "girlfriend", he could not spend christmas with her, he could not take her with him on official trips, he could not have her by his side as much as they both surely wished. So IMHO the final straw was the Grosvenor-van Cutsem-wedding. Camilla had been friends with both the parents of the bride as well as as the groom but still it was not possible for her to be seated next to the man all people involved knew to be "her man" - because of the august presence of his parents. Look, this is plain ridiculous for a man and a woman of their age! ----snipped ------ I doubt that for Camilla the title of Her Majesty is something she really cares about. What they both wanted was for her to be recognised as a full-fledged member of the family: by the Queen, by the family and by the public. That was what they got.
:flowers: Great post Jo, with a thorough and humane understanding of the situation, IMO. I don't believe Camilla was/is at all interested in titles, she has seen the misery they can bring.

Charles / Camilla marriage: Legal advice sealed until after Prince's death | Mail Online

The Government was accused of a cover-up last night after it was ruled that the legal advice that enabled Prince Charles to marry the Duchess of Cornwall must remain secret until after his death.

Doubts about the legality of the wedding have long persisted, with some constitutional experts arguing that legislation prevented the couple from taking part in a civil ceremony.

Thank you for posting the article Wbensen. When I brought this up at the time, I was shouted down by the Camilla Claque.

I think Prince Charles did not intend to marry Camilla originally and that Mountbatten may have whispered that she was Catholic and possibly not the one.Camilla too did not wait for Charles did she? So Charles wavered and in doing so lost the opportunity to be emotionally transparent when Camilla married. Years transpired and he had to marry and did so to Diana with who he could have stayed married to because John Kennedy was married to an equally if not more famous woman Jackie and they cheered "her " and not "him" and the feathers in his radar were not electrified like those of Charles every time those crowds shouted Diana. President Kennedy said I am in Paris with Jackie at an official state dinner of some type-very proud of the credibility and popualrity of his wife which was a compliment to him on his choice of spouse.
Contrarily Charles was not happy that somebody actually had more charisma than he and could attract more attention. He was insecure and he turned on Diana.When he did he returned to Camilla who was his interchageable part as far as I am concerned because now he was already married and this was adulterous.With his ego in tatters he decided that he would make Camilla the permanent lady of his life- more a way of life rather than a great love story because I do believe he would have married her originally and stepped down abdicating his position to do so if he had wanted to had there been objections.Diana learned from the master Charles how and why to go about things.Charles just loved playing one against the other until Diana evidently broke and died before our eyes.As for "divorce" it is something that commoners do and not royals who have a calling however it has happened.So anyone with a "divorce" can be equal from the decree nisi point of view- we as commonres do and they- royalty also attain these now.Although I must admit Charles and Camilla are extenuating circumstance. Whereas previously they were not supposed to have had divorce in the family even though Diana did in hers..
Then Prince Charles expects the high unction of the coronation ceremony to be bestowed on him because everything would be revised by then to become King one day with Camilla at his side.
There is something out of JFK"s book that Charles could have taken and did not . So onwards. I wish Charles and Camilla the best.

Charles and Camilla are happy together. How much more do we want from them?

I think Prince Charles did not intend to marry Camilla originally and that Mountbatten may have whispered that she was Catholic and possibly not the one.Camilla too did not wait for Charles did she?

Mountbatten wanted Charles to marry Camilla, would've been a good match.
The only think Diana had in her favour was virginity, a title and Lady Ruth Fermoy.

They are happy, this is just sturring up unecessary.

I think half of me believes the article and the other half doesn't I'm not sure though since i've heard diff things over the years.

Just curious where has it been mentioned that Mountbatten wanted Charles to marry Camilla.

Last edited:
I guess anyone is free to challenge the legality of the marriage in a Court of Law; despite the blustering, no-one has done so.
As to Mountbatten, he would have been rather pleased if Charles had married one of his granddaughters.

I'd just add that if the Justice Ministry had considered the Marriage Act of 1836 (the point of contention) to be an insurmountable obstacle, the Government could quite simply have put an amendment to the Act through Parliament. I doubt that too many people would have worked themselves into a lather at the prospect and demanded that the Marriage Act of 1836 be forever sacrosanct.

The Archbishop of Canterbury must have been sure of his ground before he conducted the official Blessing of the marriage so it's a reasonable assumption that he had satisfied himself with the legalities as well. A few quiet words with his Law Lord colleagues would have provided him with the best legal expertise in the land.

Last edited:
You're right, Warren; Lord Mountbatten wanted Charles to marry his granddaughter Amanda Knatchbull; in the years just before his death Mountbatten tried to persuade Charles (it seems that Amanda would have agreed), but Charles was reluctant. In August 1979 Mountbatten was killed, and some months later Charles finally decided to ask Amanda to marry him, but this time was Amanda refusing.

Thank you for posting the article Wbensen. When I brought this up at the time, I was shouted down by the Camilla Claque.

Where in this article is it a vindication that Charles and Camilla's marriage is not legal? All this judgement is about is that the Freedom of Information Act cannot be used to access to advice that Lord Falconner was given (either for or against) to reach just conclusion that a royal could marry in England in a registry office. This advice is sealed until after Charles's death, this to stop the arm chair experts and the media who want to beat up this 'constitutional crisis' story whenever it's a slow news cycle.

Lord Falconner looked at the advice he was given (for and against) then made his ruling, now one may not agree on his ruling, may not like it, but he ruled that Charles could marry in a registry office in England. That ruling made the marriage legal. As Warren has pointed out, no-one has taken the ruling to court to challenge it.

Regardless Charles and Camilla would have been able to have been marriage in a church in Scotland, so in the end they still would have married, just the location would have been different. Even marrying in Scotland they still would have been able to get their marriage blessed by the CoE so Charles being the future head of the CoE detail would have been covered as well!

Lord Falconner's ruling established that royals can marry in a registry office in England so Lord Nicholas Windsor married legally in a registry office before he went to The Vatican to marry religiously, an overseas marriage which wouldn't have been considered legal in the UK. That's why the registry office marriage had to happen.

This is rather ridiculous and way past its sell date.

Honestly, Charles and Camilla are married. Let's move on shall we.

And I say this as a Diana fantatic, who couldn't even stand to look at Camilla's name in the past. Diana is dead. Let her rest. Life is for the living. Charles and Camilla are happy and working for Britian. Other than the hanger ons who won't let Diana rest in peace, and feel the need to bring her up every couple of months...you never hear a whiff of scandal about Charles and Camilla that isn't made up.

I mean, is this really necessary?

I said I'm torn because half of me thinks just leave it who cares I've met her and she's really nice, the other half of me is the biased point of view I had for a good 4 years. I mean I have no problem with them(for the majority of the part) what's done is done and we shouldn't question it.But every now again my bias side creeps up. Ya that so came out wrong hopefully you guys get what I mean,

Mountbatten wanted Charles to marry Camilla, would've been a good match.
The only think Diana had in her favour was virginity, a title and Lady Ruth Fermoy.

They are happy, this is just sturring up unecessary.
The title of the thread is "Marriage" so I think you mean the thread is redundant or unnecessary due to the happiness of the couple.I think it is superfluous to involve or belittle Diana's "virginity" or describe her virtues as these three that U have mentioned alone. History is a frenzied chiseller of men and history will judge.; until then I think it best to leave alone her personal virtues or lack thereof and to stop denigrating them.Just like we acceed dignity to Camilla's virtues and her marriage.

FWIW, the Prince and the Duchess are spending a week in Wales and have engagements together almost every day.

And it just so happens that the Prince and the Duchess attended an event yesterday. Here's the proof, with pictures of them sitting together:

Prince Charles leads tribute to Services on Armed Forces Day

To be fair, Camilla did miss a high-profile event a week ago when Charles joined the President Sarkozy in a wreath-laying. At the time, it was reported that Camilla had "family obligations." Personally, I think she was just reluctant to be compared side-by-side with Carla Bruni-Sarkozy. Camilla has also had back problems and a broken ankle, so she may not be able to do a full load of engagements just yet.

This rumor of a marriage riff comes up fairly often and usually when news is slow. It come from People magazine, hardly an accurate source.

This is rather ridiculous and way past its sell date.

Honestly, Charles and Camilla are married. Let's move on shall we.

And I say this as a Diana fantatic, who couldn't even stand to look at Camilla's name in the past. Diana is dead. Let her rest. Life is for the living. Charles and Camilla are happy and working for Britian. Other than the hanger ons who won't let Diana rest in peace, and feel the need to bring her up every couple of months...you never hear a whiff of scandal about Charles and Camilla that isn't made up.

I mean, is this really necessary?

These are one of the better messages I've ever read about this issue. Even those who loved - and loves Diana - deeply, could not help the fact she is now dead and that Charles married Camilla for good. They seems happy enough together and I think they would remain this way. Yellow press is always ready to make up false news about them :bang: But who could believe these rumors? They've turned to be all faked, so I don't believe in them any more.

Vanesa.

Making the extremely large presumption that the article has a kernel of truth - it would be impossible for Charles to back out of this one, since he staked every scrap of his tattered respectability and faith on marrying her.

These are one of the better messages I've ever read about this issue. Even those who loved - and loves Diana - deeply, could not help the fact she is now dead and that Charles married Camilla for good. They seems happy enough together and I think they would remain this way. Yellow press is always ready to make up false news about them :bang: But who could believe these rumors? They've turned to be all faked, so I don't believe in them any more. Vanesa.

I do think there's some truth to the rumor that Charles and Camilla do spend time apart but not for the reason that there is anything amiss in their relationship.

We have to remember that these two have known each other for what... 40 some years now and they are long past the first blush of romance where they can't stand to be parted and hang on each others every word and play footsies under the table. Camilla and Charles are secure enough in their relationship with each other that taking time apart to pursue separate interests isn't really that big of a deal. If I recall correctly, Charles and Andrew being gone quite a bit at the beginning of the marriage is what upset Diana and Sarah immensely. Camilla loves being at her home with her grandchildren and enjoying the country life moreso maybe than the limelight and flashbulbs of state dinners and commitments that Charles attends as his duties. She understands what role Charles has to play, what his role in the future holds for both of them and I think she'll be supportive of him 100%.

A split up of them two in the near future? I really really don't think so. ;)

A split up of them two in the near future? I really really don't think so. ;)

And if there *was* such as split? I doubt we'd ever know about it, really. One would presume it would be similar to that of the Duke and Duchess of Kent.

And if there *was* such as split? I doubt we'd ever know about it, really. One would presume it would be similar to that of the Duke and Duchess of Kent.

I agree with you. Their private lives are something that will always remain just that... private.

Back
Top Bottom