The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-14-2015, 08:41 PM
Courtier

Ladongas - I suspect by 'they' he was referencing the press, back then the press was trying to marry him off to every eligible woman he was near much as these days they do with Harry. Just a couple of weeks ago the world went mad when it thought Harry was dating Emma what's her name the much loved actress, Harry could easily quip in the future they tried to marry him off to her.

Old 03-14-2015, 08:46 PM
Royal Highness

Plus Tricia was a very beautiful girl and seen as the princess of America. She attented the POW's investiture, creating more dreams from the press about a possible transatlantic love match.
They did look cute together, it was hard to resist :

http://www.noblesseetroyautes.com/wp...nt-posters.jpg

Old 03-14-2015, 11:25 PM
Imperial Majesty

I just watched the program this evening. It was cute and Charles said very nice things about Camilla, William and Harry, but I really didn't find the interview special. I think it would be nice for Charles and Camilla to sit down for an interview. Although the excuse is that Camilla would like the attention to focus on Charles, I think the real reason for Camilla not sitting down for an interview, she, Charles and palace officials would rather not have unwanted questions asked.

The whole thing was nice, but I think Charles has given much better interviews in the past. In this program, I got the impression he really didn't want to say much about anything.

A.W. TOZER
Old 03-15-2015, 12:19 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
Plus Tricia was a very beautiful girl and seen as the princess of America. She attented the POW's investiture, creating more dreams from the press about a possible transatlantic love match.
They did look cute together, it was hard to resist :

http://www.noblesseetroyautes.com/wp...nt-posters.jpg
She was a lovely girl, but according to Traphes Bryant's memoir of working at the WH "Dog Days at the White House" the POW was less than impressed with Miss Nixon as a person. He found her pretentious and cold. There was certainly no chemistry between them at all.

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice" MLK Jr 1929-1968
Old 03-15-2015, 03:15 AM
Majesty

Is there a weblink to the interview? I could not find it on the CNN website. Many thanks
Old 03-15-2015, 04:26 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
Males wearing those sort of pants seems very much an English upper middle class thing! It should be an interesting interview.
It is more casual wear for gentlemen with a hot potato in the mouth, not necessarily restricted to Britain. You can see these pants on the Continent as well. Eeeerrrrmmmm... I have red trousers as well....

Old 03-15-2015, 08:26 AM
Heir Apparent

I watched the interview and it wasn't anything special. We basically learned that Camilla is a nice person, Charles is proud of William and Harry and he adores having Prince George around.
Old 03-15-2015, 08:34 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
I watched the interview and it wasn't anything special. We basically learned that Camilla is a nice person, Charles is proud of William and Harry and he adores having Prince George around.
Well it's more than welcome judging by some headlines lately ...
Old 03-15-2015, 09:25 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
She was a lovely girl, but according to Traphes Bryant's memoir of working at the WH "Dog Days at the White House" the POW was less than impressed with Miss Nixon as a person. He found her pretentious and cold. There was certainly no chemistry between them at all.

Yes, I read somewhere that Charles much preferred her sister, Julie Nixon Eisenhower.
He once said the visit was trying, with Nixon always maneuvering to leave him alone with Tricia.
Old 03-15-2015, 09:49 AM
Majesty

No matter which Nixon lady, anyone of them was "unsuitable" as a bride for the Prince of Wales. We talk about 40 years ago. Back then there was still a "demand" for a lady "with a good descendance", which was the daughter of the Earl Spencer and of the Hon. Frances Roche of the Barons Fermoy.

Now, in 2015, and with the flood of commoners in the Royal Houses, Miss Nixon would probably not have been a problem.
Old 03-15-2015, 09:57 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
No matter which Nixon lady, anyone of them was "unsuitable" as a bride for the Prince of Wales. We talk about 40 years ago. Back then there was still a "demand" for a lady "with a good descendance", which was the daughter of the Earl Spencer and of the Hon. Frances Roche of the Barons Fermoy.

Now, in 2015, and with the flood of commoners in the Royal Houses, Miss Nixon would probably not have been a problem.
Well by 1972 Mountbatten tried to place one of his granddaughters. Diana was not part of the equation yet.
The Nixon match was more or less a pure invention from the Press, like a possible romance with Marie-Astrid of Luxembourg.
Old 03-15-2015, 10:04 AM
Serene Highness

Any alliance with a Nixon family member would have been disastrous... given the criminal behaviour of the father...
Old 03-15-2015, 10:20 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Well by 1972 Mountbatten tried to place one of his granddaughters. Diana was not part of the equation yet.
The Nixon match was more or less a pure invention from the Press, like a possible romance with Marie-Astrid of Luxembourg.
Well, Lady Joanna and Lady Amanda, daughters of Lord John Knatchbull, 7th Baron Brabourne and of Lady Patricia Mountbatten, 2nd Countess Mountbatten of Burma were -of course- excellent "candidates" for the Prince of Wales.

Edwina and India Hicks were daughters of a "commoner" but of course were very much linked with royalty and aristocracy and probably also no problem to marry the Prince of Wales.

It was not so strange that the Earl Mountbatten tried some old-fashioned marriage-policy in his family.

Old 03-15-2015, 12:08 PM
Majesty

Quote:
I was just a kid, but I remember the Marie-Astrid rumors very well. For a while, it seemed that almost every other day some newscaster was making a breathless prediction that an announcement from Buckingham Palace about the engagement of Charles and Marie-Astrid was "imminent".

She was a very pretty young princess back in the day. But knowing what I know now about the profoundly Catholic, conservative Belgian and Luxembourgish Royal families, the idea of a Charles/Marie-Astrid pairing was absurd.

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice" MLK Jr 1929-1968
Old 03-15-2015, 01:17 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
I agree, Rudolph. There wasn't really anything special about the interview. Charles said very nice things about his family, but I got the felling he really wasn't into talking about much of anything. He's given better interviews in the past.

A.W. TOZER
Old 03-15-2015, 01:40 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
Yes, I read somewhere that Charles much preferred her sister, Julie Nixon Eisenhower.

He once said the visit was trying, with Nixon always maneuvering to leave him alone with Tricia.
If true, and if he said so must be so, can you imagine how Tricia was taking it all? A pushy father and a (possibly) uncomfortable (offended?) guest to deal with, ouch!
Old 03-15-2015, 02:19 PM
Imperial Majesty

If I was attracted to the young lady, I know I wouldn't mind the interference from other parties.

A.W. TOZER
Old 03-15-2015, 04:01 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
So he preferred Julie- she was already married at the time! Guess Charles always liked the unattainable ones.

A brief off-topic comment: back in the day, when the girls were young, Julie was always thought to resemble her dad, and Tricia looked like mom. Now, strangely enough, Julie looks like Pat, and Tricia looks like her father.

Abraham Lincoln
Old 03-15-2015, 04:43 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
I was just a kid, but I remember the Marie-Astrid rumors very well. For a while, it seemed that almost every other day some newscaster was making a breathless prediction that an announcement from Buckingham Palace about the engagement of Charles and Marie-Astrid was "imminent".

She was a very pretty young princess back in the day. But knowing what I know now about the profoundly Catholic, conservative Belgian and Luxembourgish Royal families, the idea of a Charles/Marie-Astrid pairing was absurd.
On itself the waters between the Anglican Church and the Roman-Catholic Church were not that deep back then. Now the Church of England has so changed since 40 years ago, still the form of the liturgy, the rites and the Order of Service are not that different from the Roman-Catholic practices. The more liberal teachings, the ordination of ladies as priests and bishops, yes... but that was not the case 4 decades ago.

The Duke of Edinburgh & Princess Marie-Astrid of Luxembourg

Princess Marie-Astrid of Luxembourg in the times of the rumors (click on the picture to enlarge)

Princess Marie-Astrid of Luxembourg on her wedding day (click on the picture to enlarge)

Old 03-15-2015, 04:53 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

The interview was nice, but a little boring. I did like hearing him speak about his family though. I also enjoyed seeing the footage of him and Camilla out walking.

The one thing I noticed that I hadn't before, is that Charles mumbles when speaking. I was finding it a little difficult to understand him.

Tags
camilla, duchess of cornwall, marriage, prince charles, prince of wales