Charles and Camilla: The Marriage (2005 and on)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes, there was a great deal of rehabilitative work done in the years after Diana's death to get Camilla accepted by the public, but I do think that the van Cutsem wedding seating arrangements were a spur. Charles and Camilla became engaged in the following February after the wedding, and it seems Charles was very offended by Camilla not being able to sit with him.

It may have been a factor in Charles deciding that now he was going to go ahead and marry her but it was hardly Charles being annoyed at the Cutsem wedding and hastening off to the registry office a few weeks later. He had wanted to marry Cam for a long time...

Actually, I'm not sure that Charles would have remarried at all if Diana had lived. As mentioned, he would have had to get permission from the Queen to marry again and she may have balked at the idea.

The reason? Once Diana died, Charles was effectively a widower in the eyes of the Church of England. The Queen may have seen it that Charles still had a living wife in the eyes of the Church and as Charles would one day be the head of the Church of England, she may of withheld her consent

One might say that Camilla also had a living husband when she remarried (remember they only had a blessing after the civil wedding) but a factor than might have been that Andrew Parker Bowles was a Catholic.

Or maybe things would have gone exactly like they did. We'll never really know but I do think a remarriage for Charles would have been much more complicated had Diana lived.

Actually, I'm not sure that Charles would have remarried at all if Diana had lived. As mentioned, he would have had to get permission from the Queen to marry again and she may have balked at the idea.

The reason? Once Diana died, Charles was effectively a widower in the eyes of the Church of England. The Queen may have seen it that Charles still had a living wife in the eyes of the Church and as Charles would one day be the head of the Church of England, she may of withheld her consent

One might say that Camilla also had a living husband when she remarried (remember they only had a blessing after the civil wedding) but a factor than might have been that Andrew Parker Bowles was a Catholic.

Or maybe things would have gone exactly like they did. We'll never really know but I do think a remarriage for Charles would have been much more complicated had Diana lived.

No it wouldn't. The queen didn't like the idea but if the public were in favour of it, or at least tolerated it... of course she would eventually have to give way, because it was hardly a good idea for the future King to be with a woman whom he was just living with.
And the public were mainly cool on the idea because of Diana's being mourned. If it was 5 years after the divorce and Diana had remarried or gone through a series of boyfriends, I don't think the public would care two hoots if Charles married his steady girlfriend...

The Queen would not have quibbled about a royal funeral if Diana had been married to Charles at the time of her death. The Queen would not have allowed the SPencers to bury her at their estate had Charles been the widower.

Charles was not a widower. That was floated about some years ago and debunked. The thing is that he and Camilla would have had two ex spouses still living. If Charles had been a widower, DIana would not have lost her HRH and would have been married to Charles when she died which she wasn't. I understand the Church had relaxed its stance on divorce when Charles and Diana divorced. Charles could not have been seen in public with Camilla had he still been "married" to Diana. Diana could not have gone public dating Dodi if she had been "married" to Charles. And if there were no recognized divorce Charles would not have given DIana that large divorce settlement.

I think it would have been more complicated for Charles to remarry. It could have been that DIana would have remarried before CHarles had she lived.

Camilla and APB still went through a ceremony, a Catholic Ceremony and no matter what he was a living ex husband. LIke Diana would have been a living ex wife.

The Church never made any announcement that they did not recognize Charles' divorce from Diana. They did recognize it.

There would have been no debate about the nature of Diana's Church Funeral Service had Charles been her widower. Nor would she have been buried on the Spencer Estate.

Last edited:
No it wouldn't. The queen didn't like the idea but if the public were in favour of it, or at least tolerated it... of course she would eventually have to give way, because it was hardly a good idea for the future King to be with a woman whom he was just living with.
And the public were mainly cool on the idea because of Diana's being mourned. If it was 5 years after the divorce and Diana had remarried or gone through a series of boyfriends, I don't think the public would care two hoots if Charles married his steady girlfriend...

I agree that within five years or so of the divorce that the public would have accepted Charles and Camilla marrying. Likewise I believe that the public would have also been accepting of Diana remarrying as well.

The event that changed that possible scenario was of course Diana's tragic death at 36. It was not possible for Charles to remarry before he did (and employed Bolland to rehabilitate reputations somewhat) due to the public sympathy for his dead ex wife.

Last edited:
I agree that within five years or so of the divorce that the public would have accepted Charles and Camilla marrying. Likewise I believe that the public would have also been accepting of Diana remarrying as well.

of course there was the issue of the Queen Mother. I am not sure, thinking it over, probably he still would have waited till the QM passed away...

[...]
I think that Charles would not have rushed into marriage with Camilla but yes had Di not tragically died he would likely have married Cam sooner. The reaction to her death put his plans on hold.. and he waited for several years because of the public reaction, his own sons needing time to get over her death and also the RF needing time to get used to the idea. But had Diana been alive and been seen in other romances I think the public would have more quickly accepted Charles remarrying.

The marriage would not have happened before 2002, the year his grandmother died. Charles has always been weak willed.

:previous: Indeed, his grandmother was the original steel butterfly. She exerted as much influence over Charles as she did Elizabeth, only in her case it can be measurably seen. A hearty swag of jewellery belonging to the current monarch only returned to the Crown upon her death.

Charles, while loving her, made sure to keep certain things from her in an effort to prevent confrontation. Not everyone is made for happy sunshine. Some people live their own lives on their own terms while others defer to the greater good.

The marriage would not have happened before 2002, the year his grandmother died. Charles has always been weak willed.

I agree - Charles would never have married a divorced woman during his grandmother's lifetime.

what is weak willed about not wanting to upset his grandmohter?

The Queen Mother

wellyes Im sure she was aware of C's desire to marry Camilla but she was an old lady and problaby worried that his making a marriage to a divorcee would cause a scandal and she did not wnat it to happen. so as she was nearly 100 Charles waited....

Back
Top Bottom