The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-06-2013, 08:39 AM
Royal Highness

I wonder if they think about it as much as we do.

Old 11-06-2013, 09:18 AM
Courtier

Quote:
I wonder if they think about it as much as we do.
Unlikely, as they are very busy people, representing HM the Queen, at home and abroad.

Old 11-13-2013, 10:22 AM
Majesty

A royal love story: Prince Charles and Camilla-
A royal love story: Prince Charles and Camilla - Telegraph

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 11-13-2013, 10:57 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
A royal love story: Prince Charles and Camilla-
A royal love story: Prince Charles and Camilla - Telegraph
Fascinating. It would appear the space given to Catherine to grow into her role originated with Camilla. There probably is some truth to this.

I take strong issue with "divergent personal agendas." I think Camilla has always wanted to be Charles' life partner and to love him in a devoted way. I think Charles has always wanted to be loved in a devoted way. Given that devotion, he seems to have learned how to be devoted in return (and even enjoy small children). This is just my opinion and I mean it without snark. Charles, like his mother, enjoys being at the fore in life events. It is his role, as he sees it.

Fascinating read though.

"They are pretty, they are shiny, and they are more fun to look at than the shame that lives inside us all". John Stewart, The Daily Show
Old 11-13-2013, 11:45 AM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS View Post
I take strong issue with "divergent personal agendas." I think Camilla has always wanted to be Charles' life partner and to love him in a devoted way. I think Charles has always wanted to be loved in a devoted way. Given that devotion, he seems to have learned how to be devoted in return (and even enjoy small children). This is just my opinion and I mean it without snark. Charles, like his mother, enjoys being at the fore in life events. It is his role, as he sees it.
This hits the nail on the head for me. Camilla, I think, never had an "agenda" when it came to her relationship with Charles. She loved/loves Charles the man and I don't feel that his titles, his wealth, his position, his importance to the world had any bearing on how she sees him and loves him. Whether she stayed quietly in the background privately or by his side as his Queen just happened to come with the territory of the man she loves.
Old 11-13-2013, 12:00 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS View Post
...I think Camilla has always wanted to be Charles' life partner...
Although I think it would have been better if Charles and Camilla had married in the 70s, I disagree that Camilla has always wanted to be Charles' life partner. I think she didn't wait for Charles to return from his assignment because she was in love with her first husband. Apparently Andrew Parker Bowles was quite a catch: good-looking, rich, intelligent, good conversationalist, athletic, and a charming personality. He even dated Princess Anne at one point.

It's a testament to Camilla that she attracted the love of two men who could have had any practically any other woman in the world. I think she is lovely, but she has never been a great beauty. Her strength is her warmth and personality.

I also take issue with article's reference to diverse agendas and hints that the marriage was difficult at first. For all intents and purposes, Charles and Camilla lived together after his divorce, so I don't think there was much adjustment to each other. They have always struck me as very comfortable with each other.

I think the article is accurate when it reports Camilla was reluctant to take on public duties, particularly alone. She has worked at it and is obviously more comfortable.
Old 11-13-2013, 12:16 PM

My answer is: ''Sure''.
Old 11-13-2013, 12:23 PM
Majesty

Well, I have no doubt that Camilla loves Charles. As for her "agenda", I think that's tricky.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 11-13-2013, 12:32 PM
Heir Apparent

In a way, I think I can identify with both Charles and Camilla and perhaps give my own take on second marriages such as theirs is. I am on my second marriage to a wonderful man that is not only my life partner but my best friend.

Like Charles, I was friends with my current mate during the time of my first marriage falling down the tubes, doing the funky chicken and curling up and dying. I know how possible it is to have a close, intimate and platonic relationship with a member of the opposite sex without it being something lurid, lewd or stuff that tabloid fodder is made out of. I was divorced for 5 years before we even thought of taking our relationship to another level. In fact, I dated and lived with another man in the interim. Neither man had any bearing in our decision to divorce or even factored into it. Sometimes the best way to show love for a spouse is to let them go to allow them to become the best possible person they can be.

The gist of it all and to make my point in this is that as AdmirerUS pointed out stating:

"Although I think it would have been better if Charles and Camilla had married in the 70s, I disagree that Camilla has always wanted to be Charles' life partner. I think she didn't wait for Charles to return from his assignment because she was in love with her first husband. Apparently Andrew Parker Bowles: was quite a catch: good-looking, rich, intelligent, good conversationalist, athletic, and a charming personality. He even dated Princess Anne at one point."

We make choices in our lifetimes and over time, some of them turn out to not to withstand the long haul and changes are made. It doesn't mean that when the choices were made that they were wrong at the time or that love wasn't there. Life is about changes and how we meet them and adapt to them and move forward.

I honestly believe that the marriage of Charles and Camilla is what is best for them at this time. Its obviously working out very very well for them.
Old 11-13-2013, 09:02 PM
Courtier

Camilla pays tribute to Prince Charles as he celebrates 65th birthday | Mail Online
Old 11-13-2013, 09:45 PM
Nobility

Quote:
A royal love story: Prince Charles and Camilla- A royal love story: Prince Charles and Camilla - Telegraph
Overall a more positive article than usually written by this author and others. I don't think the turning point in Camilla's schedule was breaking her leg. She actually was on a reduced schedule from the beginning and the the hysterectomy slowed things down even more. I think the thing about the broken leg was that the public got to see her still get up and do her job despite the injury. And she did it with a smile. Like when she rode the Scooter to the army base but still stood for the salute. Over time people and the press have warmed to her and in turn she to them. Her speeches are better and she is herself with people.
Old 11-13-2013, 10:13 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
We make choices in our lifetimes and over time, some of them turn out to not to withstand the long haul and changes are made. It doesn't mean that when the choices were made that they were wrong at the time or that love wasn't there. Life is about changes and how we meet them and adapt to them and move forward.
Well put. I totally agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sthreats View Post
Overall a more positive article than usually written by this author and others. I don't think the turning point in Camilla's schedule was breaking her leg. She actually was on a reduced schedule from the beginning and the the hysterectomy slowed things down even more. I think the thing about the broken leg was that the public got to see her still get up and do her job despite the injury. And she did it with a smile. Like when she rode the Scooter to the army base but still stood for the salute. Over time people and the press have warmed to her and in turn she to them. Her speeches are better and she is herself with people.
That sort of act leaves an impression.
Old 11-13-2013, 10:20 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post
That sort of act leaves an impression.
I still remember that time and Charles pushing Camilla into some kind of performance in a wheelchair.
Old 11-14-2013, 12:06 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakyoin View Post
My answer is: ''Sure''.
Erm, sure yes, sure no, sure maybe, sure what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sthreats View Post
I have no doubt that both her hysterectomy and broken leg changed the way a lot of people regarded her. To a lot of women there was the realisation that she is just like them, a woman who is not perfectl. Not in looks, not in health and not in life. The way she coped with her broken leg also gave us a unique look into who Camilla is. She's the lady that needed to be doing a certain job and, rather than cancel (a broken leg don't you know), she improvised adapted and overcame. Camilla on her mobility scooter is an unforgetable image and she managed a really painful situation with such grace that all we really remember is her wit and humour.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I still remember that time and Charles pushing Camilla into some kind of performance in a wheelchair.
And that showed the type of relationship that Charles and Camila have. He could have walked beside her and have some Aide or such to push the wheelchair. But he didn't, he reserved that privilege for himself.
Old 11-14-2013, 12:16 AM
Majesty

An aide did push Camilla's chair but once Charles & Camilla made it in front of the photographers and crowds, Charles took over her wheelchair.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 11-14-2013, 02:08 AM
Heir Apparent

Interesting. I have never heard that before. Could you provide a link or photo? It helps to keep things in perspective to get it right.
Old 11-14-2013, 04:10 AM
Heir Presumptive

Redirect Notice
Old 11-14-2013, 04:22 AM
Nobility

wheelchair video

Quote:
An aide did push Camilla's chair but once Charles & Camilla made it in front of the photographers and crowds, Charles took over her wheelchair.

I hope I did this correctly. Here is the footage on youtube from Calyx TV. Didn't see an aide push her and didn't seem like a stunt. I am sure that aides got her out of the car and into the chair.

Charles pushes Camilla to the Opera - YouTube
Old 11-14-2013, 04:23 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
Interesting. I have never heard that before. Could you provide a link or photo? It helps to keep things in perspective to get it right.
1:06:

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 11-14-2013, 06:24 AM
Nobility

This is really funny. I can relate. My husband's birthday was yesterday. The kids and I have this plan to go to the store and shop for him and then pick him up for dinner. He says - well you know we have a lot of bills coming up with Christmas. And I have work to do.

So instead of arguing this year I just let the kids pick out the gift and then we surprised him at work so he had to leave. We took him to IHOP for dinner which he loved.

I think its a man thing and a scorpio thing.

Tags
camilla, duchess of cornwall, marriage, prince charles, prince of wales