The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-12-2013, 03:17 AM
Heir Apparent

Like it or not, it is always the squeaky wheel that gets the oil and that sop was to a small but vocal anti Camilla brigade whipped into frenzy by the paparazzi.

But now in 2013, I think the paps are having to review their position as they realise they need to establish a new relationship with the future King and his wife (witness that somewhat witless but harmless piece on Camilla by Richard Kay), as their future is looking a bit bleak. Charles abhors them and both William and Harry loath and despise them.

So far at least, Camilla has responded to them with grace and wit and Catherine, while tentative, seems to be following her lead rather than those of Charles, William and Harry, so it's a no-brainer that being nice to those two ladies is their best bet for improved future relations.

Old 05-12-2013, 03:35 AM
Heir Presumptive

Though I would like to see Camilla become Queen, it is quite possible that she is strongly against the idea. Maybe she only agreed to marry Charles on condition that she not be required to take that title. I wouldn't want to see her forced into it now if she really doesn't want it, and the "intended" bit allows her to retain that option.

Old 05-12-2013, 03:47 AM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
This explanation to me is perhaps the soundest. I do remember at that time of the engagement/marriage it was reported that Camilla wasn't overly anxious to jump into the royal fishbowl. She was already middle aged and had raised her own family and most likely preferred life in the background. She had absolutely no clue how well she would mesh in being the Prince of Wales consort or how she would handle the intense scrutiny of the public and press.

Years down to the line we've come to realize just how well she has adapted to royal life at Charles' side and perhaps the idea of being Queen Consort is not such a scary thing for her anymore. She's been wonderful to the people she's met and at the State Opening of Parliament, she looked every inch the Queen Consort in waiting that she really is.
Old 05-31-2013, 08:16 AM
Serene Highness

I came across this little article from this great blog and thought it was the perfect expression of something felt by many, including me.

An Apology to Camilla — Say What?!?
Old 05-31-2013, 09:36 AM
Heir Apparent

Nice piece, Nico, and I know a lot of people have experienced that turnaround in feelings toward Camilla and would like to see her accept the title of Queen Consort when that time comes.
Old 05-31-2013, 10:07 AM
Majesty

...I think Camilla is doing a great job as a senior member of the royal family.

I realized a while back that Camilla most likely have always been a nice person. I don't think Charles would've had an affair with a very nasty and evil person. Diana went on to see Camilla that way because Camilla was having an affair with her husband and I think Diana had a every right to have those feelings towards Camilla. Those feelings were Diana's business, not mines.

I see Camilla has a very nice, funny lady and who's doing a good job as Charles's consort. She made her mistakes back in the day, it's part of royal history, it will follow her to her grave and none of us will ever forget it, but I think we all have to move on and look to the future with hope and give Camilla some due credit.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 05-31-2013, 08:12 PM
Heir Apparent

The past is the past. Right now we have a Prince of Wales who seems happy in both his public and his private life which can only be a good thing. HRH The Duchess of Cornwall has been gaining public acceptance over the 8 years of the marriage and most people have been able to move on and put the vitriol of the 90s behind them. Charles and Camilla have moved on. William and Harry seem to have accepted the facts of their life and moved on, and seem pleased that their father is a happy man. The Cof E have blessed their marriage. What more can people ask for?
Old 05-31-2013, 08:58 PM
Heir Apparent

Definitely time once again for a clean-up squad in here and for a nice relaxing coffee break!
Old 05-31-2013, 09:37 PM
Royal Highness

...we should look forward and see how good it looks now! Charles and Camilla have a solid & balanced relationship,William is happily married and expects his first child and Harry seems to be more mature now and has a good job in the army...everyone is getting on well with their life! No need to talk the past over and over....

Some people are just meant for each other :-) Charles and Camilla have a lot in common & they are so happy together. Furthermore they are a great working team,everywhere they go they are accepted with friendly welcome and the people enjoy being with them. They are doing a good job in representing their country and they are behaving properly and decent as I expect from a royal.

Thank you for that well written explanation. I am old enough to have witnessed the whole show and it was a marriage than should never have taken place. If you look back at royals in the past. Many married out of duty and had a mistress on the side. Many times more than one. Marriage was a duty and love was not considered. I am glad that era is over.

Yes, I think that it is good that nowadays everyone can chose a partner they love,or at least someone who they have a good relationship with,someone they respect and trust. It must have been a daunting prospect for the royals of the old days to be married off to a person they did not know at all! I am happy for how Charles and Camilla turned out today and I am also looking forward to Catherine´s baby and hope for a good future for the whole family!
. Helen Keller
Old 06-01-2013, 03:28 PM
Courtier

Charles and Camilla both seem very comfortable in their own skins. Prince Charles should be more stressed as he takes on additional royal duties, but he actually seems more relaxed and happy. I'm sure his marriage is a big part of it, but it may also be William's marriage and Prince Harry's growing confidence. He's got a lot to be grateful for and he seems to know it.
Old 06-01-2013, 04:44 PM
Heir Presumptive

I wonder if this thread is going to be closed. All I will say is I remember the moment when my opinion of Charles and Camilla started to change. It was when they were at the alter in 2005 and Cam was having trouble finding a correct page in a book and Charles reached over to help her find it.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 06-01-2013, 06:08 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Definitely time once again for a clean-up squad in here and for a nice relaxing coffee break!
Too true!
Posts rehashing the same-old same-old have been removed.

Warren
British Forums moderator
Old 06-02-2013, 12:59 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
I wonder if this thread is going to be closed. All I will say is I remember the moment when my opinion of Charles and Camilla started to change. It was when they were at the alter in 2005 and Cam was having trouble finding a correct page in a book and Charles reached over to help her find it.
That was a really a very sweet and tender moment.

Another such moment for me was when they were on tour in Africa and crossing a log bridge and he just put his hand out behind him for her to hold on to. It was such a telling moment and showed the way they compliment each other.
Old 06-02-2013, 03:38 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
Iam not sure If Camilla is the charles´love. Because I have read a lot of things about Charles.
Well, I can´t explain it in any other way-just look at Diana- blonde, perfect figure, perfect teeth, young,innocent and charming-why should a man leave her for Camilla if it was not for love?
Charles & Camilla went through a lot of difficulties to be together, now they can have a normal life as a married couple and I guess that is proof enough that they are "soul partners" as I like to call such people
. Helen Keller
Old 06-02-2013, 04:45 AM
Heir Apparent

I think that as we have watched Camilla and Charles together since their marriage in 2005, we have seen a few glimpses into what makes their relationship so compatible and so long lasting. It takes quite a bit more to cement a good, intimate, working relationship than the outer appearance of the human body. If that was all that was needed, I'd wager that 95% of people over the age of 60 would be single as physical attractiveness flies out the window and heads south for the most of us.

With Charles and Camilla, over the years they've built something the grew on a solid foundation of friendship. Although we've seen some glimpses of tender moments between them, I think its more common to see in their public lives how they seem to enjoy what they're doing together looking like the best friends that they are.

This picture, which they ended up using as their Christmas card in 2008, I think really expresses what I'm trying to put across.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...7/One-giggles-
Old 06-02-2013, 12:22 PM
Heir Apparent

It is all nice and sentimental. It would be a safe guess to say that the relationship between Prince Charles and his current wife is mostly built on the PR image by Mark Bolland. This is enough to keep the vulgar herd at large happy.
Old 06-02-2013, 12:42 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_bina View Post
It is all nice and sentimental. It would be a safe guess to say that the relationship between Prince Charles and his current wife is mostly built on the PR image by Mark Bolland. This is enough to keep the vulgar herd at large happy.
Well i'm perfectly aware that for you the occidental world is more or less a sordid place with dreadful people with even more dreadful manners but STILL i believe there's a genuine affection between these two and you just can't choregraph a look, a smile or a touch.

for exemple :

Prince Charles and Camilla Parker Bowles Photos - The Prince Of Wales And Duchess Of Cornwall Visit Australia - Day 2 - Zimbio

Charles And Camilla Attend Annual Mey Games - Pictures - Zimbio

Prince Charles and Camilla Parker Bowles Photos - The Prince Of Wales And Duchess Of Cornwall Visit New Zealand - Day 7 - Zimbio

Prince Charles and Camilla Parker Bowles Photos - Prince Charles, Prince of Wales and Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall Visit Borough Market - Zimbio

Prince Charles and Camilla Parker Bowles Photos - Prince Charles Visits Devon With Camilla - Zimbio

Prince Charles and Camilla Parker Bowles Photos - The Prince Of Wales And Duchess Of Cornwall Visit New Zealand - Day 5 - Zimbio

So call me naive, vulgar herd or whatever you want but there 's some serious affection, if not love, out there and not just a PR stunt.
Old 06-02-2013, 12:55 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I think that as we have watched Camilla and Charles together since their marriage in 2005, we have seen a few glimpses into what makes their relationship so compatible and so long lasting. It takes quite a bit more to cement a good, intimate, working relationship than the outer appearance of the human body. If that was all that was needed, I'd wager that 95% of people over the age of 60 would be single as physical attractiveness flies out the window and heads south for the most of us.

With Charles and Camilla, over the years they've built something the grew on a solid foundation of friendship. Although we've seen some glimpses of tender moments between them, I think its more common to see in their public lives how they seem to enjoy what they're doing together looking like the best friends that they are.
That´s very true, I could not have said it better
Unfortunately many people still believe that looks and youth is all that matters for love & succesful relationships.
That may be the reason why everyone is surprised when a pretty young woman gets left for a appearance-wise less attractive person with more experience and other qualities that are less apparent and only known to the people who know her personally.
I never thought that C&C was anything but true love,that impression and feeling only grew stronger over the years as I have watched them together. Especially after they got married nobody could doubt their love, I can not understand why anyone thinks differently but I have to accept that some ppl do not share my point of view...
. Helen Keller
Old 06-02-2013, 01:06 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
...I believe there's a genuine affection between these two and you just can't choregraph a look, a smile or a touch...
I love these pictures, thanks for sharing them.

The little moments between them when they share a look or a touch, or when you see one of them do something for the other is what makes me love this couple. I doubt the PR campaign would have happened at all if they weren't in love; Charles was never obliged to remarry, or to marry Camilla at all, and could have just as easily remained a bachelor with a mistress (or mistresses). He didn't want to do that, he wanted to be with Camilla despite whatever difficulties doing so may have presented - that to me says that this is a relationship founded on love.
Old 06-02-2013, 01:13 PM
Royal Highness

I also enjoyed the pictures a lot, sweet moments of C&C together! They are an ideal couple to me-same age,interests and sense of humour plus they are best friends and loyal to each other which is very rare to find.

Their wedding a PR-campaign?
The Prince has risked a lot, Camilla was one the most hated living persons in GB, why should anyone want them to marry for PR reasons,it just does not make any sense at all...
The ideas of some Diana-fans are absolutely ridiculous, I am sure that she would have liked Charles to be happy and she would have grown a friendly relationship with him over the years...this hate-campaign against Camilla would certainly not please her!

. Helen Keller

Tags
camilla, duchess of cornwall, marriage, prince charles, prince of wales