Quote:
Originally Posted by Polly View Post
From my university books and studies, specifically:

The Oxford History of England -

Vol. 10 - The Later Stuarts 1660-14, by Sir George Clark
Vol. 11 - The Whig Supremacy. 1714 - 1760 by Basil Williams
Vol. 12 - The Reign of George III 1760 - 1815 by J Steven Watson
Vol. 13 - The Age of Reform. 1815 - 1870

and sundry other pertinent publications.
Thanks for the references. I'll have to order some and dig in.

Old 09-05-2007, 12:51 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasiraghiTrio View Post
This is very interesting. I previously thought the porphyria gene was from Queen Victoria. I don't think she actually had the disease, but could have carried the gene from the Hanover line. One of her children suffered from it, right? The gene must have carried down through Edward VII, George V, and actually afflicted Prince Henry of Gloucester. I think Prince William of Gloucester also suffered from it.
There are historical studies which seem to prove that porphyria was a disease several of the Stuart kings of Scotlands and their relatives suffered from - eg James V., the father of Mary queen of Scots.

'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 09-05-2007, 10:12 PM
Courtier

I hadn't heard that before, Jo, and find it very interesting. Do you have references to those studies? I tried to track something down on the web, but to no avail.
Old 09-05-2007, 11:05 PM
Courtier

OK, Jo, I found a reference to James VI and I, who, apparently, may have had the disease.

From the net: "James was the product of a consanguineous union, i.e. he was descended from Margaret Tudor through both his father and his mother, so it is likely that Margaret had the porphyria gene. It is now thought that George III, a sixth-generation descendant of James, also had porphyria."

Thanks for that, Jo. I learn something new every day!

Interesting to note (to me, at least) that James, although sometimes very melancholy and sick and sorry for himself, was never actually thought to be mad as was George III.
Old 09-06-2007, 12:01 AM
Imperial Majesty

Polly, a couple of books which trace the history of porphyria in the royal family back to the Stuarts are McAlpine & Hunter's "George III and the Mad Business" (Pantheon, 1970) and Rohl, Warren, & Hunt's "Purple Secret: Genes, Madness, and the Royal Houses of Europe" (Bantam, 1998).
Old 09-07-2007, 01:56 AM
Courtier

Thank you, Elspeth.

I'll track them down. The second title looks most intriguing to me.

From a C21 perspective, it's a pity, n'est ce pas, that so little was known about genetic inheritance and pre-disposition, in the past? How much anguish, suffering, and indeed, revolution, might have been avoided?
Old 09-07-2007, 02:03 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhontella View Post
Thanks for the references. I'll have to order some and dig in.
Far be it from me to discourage you, Zhontella, but they're all fairly weighty, historical tomes. Perhaps they are not entirely suitable to those who do not have a professional interest in the various periods outlined, so it may well be better to check them out at your local library, and/or avail yourself of the inter-library loan facilities first. After checking them out, you can then decide whether or not to purchase. Twenty years ago, they were not cheap, sad to say.
Old 09-07-2007, 01:29 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Far be it from me to discourage you, Zhontella, but they're all fairly weighty, historical tomes. Perhaps they are not entirely suitable to those who do not have a professional interest in the various periods outlined, so it may well be better to check them out at your local library, and/or avail yourself of the inter-library loan facilities first. After checking them out, you can then decide whether or not to purchase. Twenty years ago, they were not cheap, sad to say.
I found these books on Abebooks for only a few dollars. A lot will happen to the price of a book in 20 years.

My interest in royals has always been more for the personal, psychological history -- rather than any politics or formal fanfare. So your descriptions are exactly the kind of info I've been searching.
Old 09-08-2007, 01:55 AM
Courtier

Good for you, Zhontella! Such enterprise is commendable, in my opinion.

The Oxford Histories are, however, more concerned with bald history and constitutional matters than gossip, though, of course, there are many qualifications, along the lines which I suggested, throughout.

If you find them too dry, PM me and I'll try to nominate more specific titles along the lines of your interests. I have a lot of books, all of which informed my very strong opinions, attitudes and fancies.
Old 09-08-2007, 02:03 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Thank you, Elspeth.

I'll track them down. The second title looks most intriguing to me.

From a C21 perspective, it's a pity, n'est ce pas, that so little was known about genetic inheritance and pre-disposition, in the past? How much anguish, suffering, and indeed, revolution, might have been avoided?
Funny you should mention that, because I've often wondered how many major wars in the ancient world were caused because the kings involved had toothache or something.

It's sort of interesting that there seems to have been insanity in the royal line before Mary Stuart (I'm thinking of Henry VI in particular, but some of the others didn't seem to be too stable). Presumably Mary inherited the porphyria gene from somewhere (assuming she really did have it), but I suppose the medical records further back in history are too sketchy for modern researchers to really know what was causing the symptoms.
Old 09-08-2007, 02:35 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
Funny you should mention that, because I've often wondered how many major wars in the ancient world were caused because the kings involved had toothache or something.

Do you know, Elspeth, that I think that one of the most profound comments I've read on this Board, or anywhere, for that matter, and I read a lot of history.

It's not funny at all: I'm convinced that it's a genuine contender for serious investigation and reflection, though I wouldn't restrict it to an examination of the ancient world, alone.
Old 09-09-2007, 06:01 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo of Palatine View Post
So where is the "historical sense" that the Spencers were ever superior to that august ancestry?
Of course they weren't!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polly
the censorious, striving, middle-classes of England, who've only ever struggled to emulate the ingrained influence of the aristocracy which it, so sadly, futilely envies.

Envy is a very negative emotion, but it doesn't start and end with the middle classes. Viscounts are envious of Earls, Earls of Marquesses, Marquesses of Dukes, they were all envious of the power of the monarch of course and all fought among themselves to be one of the powers behind the throne.

The Spencer's lineage is only traceable back to 1330, with the family tree starting with plain old William, the title of Earl Spencer being created in 1765 (If you look at their family tree, you will see many careful marriages to daughters for advancement purposes). Many aristocratic families can trace their titles back a further 120- 330 years and some of the Scots beyond that.

All aristocratic families, tried to stay close to the throne, (some like the Spencer's even changed allegiance to pursue that goal). Most tried to advance themselves through the system, becoming Baron - Viscount - Earl - Marquess - Duke, as always, loyal servants were rewarded, those that fell from favour lost everything.

Most people have witnessed some of the back stabbing that goes on within a company, climbing the social ladder was no different 500-700 years ago, than it is today, although the stabbing tended to be real. Women were commodities, to be used to advance the family and that has not changed, Diana's father, IMO, planted the seed from an early age, that Diana at last could achieve what had eluded the Spencer's for so long. So their lineage may have been prestigious, but they were still scheming to achieve the ultimate goal and marry into the ('inferior') royal family.
Old 09-09-2007, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
Diana's father, IMO, planted the seed from an early age, that Diana at last could achieve what had eluded the Spencer's for so long. So their lineage may have been prestigious, but they were still scheming to achieve the ultimate goal and marry into the ('inferior') royal family.
One might argue that the hopes were pinned on Sarah first, then Diana.
Or maybe it was Diana, Sarah, Diana again; if the Earl merely hoped for a Diana, Duchess of York until Sarah managed to be a girlfriend of the Prince of Wales. Who knew that Jane would best them all, by bagging and keeping arguably one of the most prominent royal courtiers in the land? But thank goodness Lady Sarah A-J or Lady Helen Windsor didn't marry Charles Spencer.
Old 09-09-2007, 03:18 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasiraghiTrio View Post
One might argue that the hopes were pinned on Sarah first, then Diana.
Or maybe it was Diana, Sarah, Diana again; if the Earl merely hoped for a Diana, Duchess of York until Sarah managed to be a girlfriend of the Prince of Wales. Who knew that Jane would best them all, by bagging and keeping arguably one of the most prominent royal courtiers in the land?
I think any one of them would do, but he had more of a chance marrying Diana into the BRF because Frances wasn't about to keep his ambitions in check! I think Sarah and Jane were well grounded and perhaps, having had their mother about for longer, less guilible.
Quote:
But thank goodness Lady Sarah A-J or Lady Helen Windsor didn't marry Charles Spencer.
Oh CasiraghiTrio, shame on you, what a terrible thought!
Old 09-09-2007, 09:35 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
So their lineage may have been prestigious, but they were still scheming to achieve the ultimate goal and marry into the ('inferior') royal family.
Was that the ultimate goal? Short sighted I think! They have achieved far more. Spencer blood will one day reign....albeit mixed with a dash of that pesky Windsor blood, of course.
Old 09-10-2007, 05:07 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post
Was that the ultimate goal? Short sighted I think! They have achieved far more. Spencer blood will one day reign....albeit mixed with a dash of that pesky Windsor blood, of course.
Ha Ha, you are right, they exceeded even their wildest dreams!
Old 09-12-2007, 10:37 PM
Commoner

"I don't think anyone else matters to Charles except Charles"

Charles only thinks about Charles. Lying Camilla is desperatly needed, to tell him only things he wants to heir, such as to reasure him on a daily basis that his close-set-eyes do not mean insincerity. Characteristically, that trait means you cannot be trusted. Many thiefs have eyes like that.

Also, does anyone in their right mind sincerily believe what the boys are forced to say about Camilla? My heart goes out to them......... how sad.
Old 09-13-2007, 12:28 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoLo View Post
such as to reasure him on a daily basis that his close-set-eyes do not mean insincerity. Characteristically, that trait means you cannot be trusted. Many thiefs have eyes like that.

Also, does anyone in their right mind sincerily believe what the boys are forced to say about Camilla? My heart goes out to them......... how sad.
Right... Eyes determine personality.

Yes.

Perhaps he stole Christmas as well.
Old 09-13-2007, 03:47 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbenson View Post
Right... Eyes determine personality.

Yes.

Perhaps he stole Christmas as well.
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 09-13-2007, 04:04 AM
Commoner

i dont think things would have turn out much different, because Camilla wouldn't wait for charles and she fell in love with someone else and married him while charles was in the Navy. Charles would still have had to marry someone if it wasn't diana and the out come would be similar either way. Camilla wanted both men (if she didnt she would never of married Andrew) and would have been happy going back and forth between them like she had already and if the affair didnt go public she still would be going between both men, i dont however and never have believe Charles was Camilla love of her life, otherwise she would have waited for charles instead of marrying someone as soon as charles left the country.

Tags
camilla, duchess of cornwall, marriage, prince charles, prince of wales