The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-16-2012, 08:59 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindy

I am someone who can't stand Camilla. I think she is unattractive, rough around the edges, and lazy. I don't think she has done much with her role and she seems to keep her royal engagements to a minimum. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and that is mine.... lol
And that's fine, but you should also be aware that you're woefully misinformed. She was lovely as a young woman, and now looks like a normal woman in her sixties. She's the patron of many organizations and works hard to support Prince Charles. She's also from a well to do family and her background is in no way rough. She also seems to get on well with almost everyone that knows her personally.

Everyone's entitled to their opinions, that doesn't mean all opinions are equally accurate.

Old 08-16-2012, 09:09 PM
Majesty

You're absolutely correct. I also wanted to add that what some see as 'rough around the edges' others see as 'down to earth'. She's very friendly and makes others feel at ease.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 08-17-2012, 01:33 AM
Majesty

Just as a matter of interest - how many engagements do you think she does a year? Without looking it up - take a guess.
Old 08-17-2012, 03:28 AM
Heir Presumptive

Alright! Camilla ain't winning no beauty pageants! She's aged hard, there is more to her than her face and figure.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 08-17-2012, 09:37 AM
Heir Presumptive

Perhaps, but how many women in their sixties do win beauty pageants?

I think Camilla looks very attractive for her age, and I like that she hasn't gone the celebrity route of cosmetic surgery and lipo.
Old 08-17-2012, 10:03 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie
Just as a matter of interest - how many engagements do you think she does a year? Without looking it up - take a guess.
Perhaps 150-200?

Am I close or way off here?
Old 08-17-2012, 10:24 AM

Maybe I'm old fashioned but, since when did someone's appearance determine their ability to carry out a public role?
Old 08-17-2012, 11:20 AM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHHermione View Post
Perhaps 150-200?
Am I close or way off here?
As far as I know, even in the first year after marriage Camilla performed over 200 public engagements. I believe the number has been above 300 per year since then. For instance, Camilla has already made about 230 public engagements this year (according to Iluvbertie's excellent list, which I think is fairly accurate) - and there are still four months to go. Also, September to December tend to be the busiest for royals, although perhaps not this year, what with Diamond Jubilee and Olympics.
Old 08-17-2012, 11:38 AM
Heir Presumptive

So she's working even harder than I thought, and certainly no one should call her lazy.
Old 08-17-2012, 03:07 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHHermione View Post
So she's working even harder than I thought, and certainly no one should call her lazy.
She is working hard, but it's not just about the number of engagements.
As wife of the Prince of Wales, Camilla's role is to support her husband, the Queen and the royal family rather than overshadow them and i think her engagements reflect that.

I know this has been commented on before, but the strength or character it must have taken to start performing public duties in her mid-fifties without knowing how she would be received must have been enormous. She has carried out her engagements with diligence, warmth and humour. She always appears to be well informed about the people and the organisations she meets and genuinely pleased to be there.

IMHO that is far more important than whether she has aged well or not.
Old 08-17-2012, 03:10 PM
Nobility

.. I like Camillas way to age better than the poor Swedish Queen with her 'Joker'-Grin by now - her facelifts where blotched indeed. Silvia was so very lovely - but a husband with a rowing eye lets some women take bad decisions how to cope, I guess..

One can see, that Camilla is loved and happy - that is more attractiv to me, than a fake youthfull face. I can only wish every woman to be that happy in marriage, like she seems to be.
Old 08-17-2012, 03:26 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel
Perhaps, but how many women in their sixties do win beauty pageants?

I think Camilla looks very attractive for her age, and I like that she hasn't gone the celebrity route of cosmetic surgery and lipo.
Camilla wasn't a beauty in her 40 or her 50s. She was pretty when she was very young but age hit her hard. And btw I think Meryl Streep and Helen Mirren can give some young chicks a run for their money.
And why is there a need to try and insult Silvia just to make Camila look better?! There really is no need for that.
The only reason I brought up Camilla not being beautiful is in response to the poster who said they didn't like her because she is rough around the edges. Yes she is no beauty and hasn't been one for decades, but there is more to her than looks. That is all I was saying, no need to defend her or insult other royals.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 08-17-2012, 03:53 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictoriaB View Post
...I know this has been commented on before, but the strength or character it must have taken to start performing public duties in her mid-fifties without knowing how she would be received must have been enormous. She has carried out her engagements with diligence, warmth and humour. She always appears to be well informed about the people and the organisations she meets and genuinely pleased to be there.

IMHO that is far more important than whether she has aged well or not.
Well said . I think it does take a strong person to be able to do what Camila is doing regardless of age, and I think she has done a beautiful job. You'd never guess that she has only been doing public engagements for seven years. I think Camila is a strong person to begin with, because no everyone can handle media attention, let alone negative media attention that was thrown at her earlier in her life. I also think that being in a happy and loving marriage boosted Camila's self-confidence, and that definitely shows. She is comfortable in her skin, knowing that the man she loves returns the sentiments and is proud of what she does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nice Nofret View Post
...One can see, that Camilla is loved and happy - that is more attractiv to me, than a fake youthfull face. I can only wish every woman to be that happy in marriage, like she seems to be.
Bravo ! Camila's happiness and self-confidence, as well as the knowledge that she's loved by her husband make her far more attractive to me than a woman who may be called 'beautiful' due to her physical attributes alone. Camila's actions and attitude speak a lot louder than a glamourous appearance (and I think she's a very elegant woman, who can pull off 'big' jewelry like no one else ).

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 09-13-2012, 11:03 AM
Gentry

I was thinking about the fact the other day that it will have been quite a while since the monarch (or the heir) selected a non-royal consort.

Albert (later George VI) chose a bride who was not part of a royal family (Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon, later Queen Elizabeth and subsequently the Queen Mother), but that was a bit different, as he was not heir to the throne and would have had no suspicion at the time of his wedding that he would one day be monarch.

Unless I am mistaken (and there's a decent case that I am mistaken), apart from that case, you would need to go back to the time of James II for a royal consort who was not born to a royal family, which is as much as to say that Elizabeth Bowes-Lyons is the only British royal consort not to have been born to a royal family, and if all goes as expected, the Duchess of Cornwall will be the second.
Old 09-13-2012, 03:13 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daz_Voz View Post
Unless I am mistaken (and there's a decent case that I am mistaken), apart from that case, you would need to go back to the time of James II for a royal consort who was not born to a royal family, which is as much as to say that Elizabeth Bowes-Lyons is the only British royal consort not to have been born to a royal family, and if all goes as expected, the Duchess of Cornwall will be the second.
Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon is indeed the only British consort, male or female, not t have come from a royal house.

James II never had a commoner consort though: his first wife, Anne Hyde, was indeed a commoner but she died long before his accession to the Throne. And in any case, James II and VII was King of England and Scotland, not Great Britain or the United Kingdom.

Th last non-royal consort of the Monarch was Lord Guildford Dudley, husband of Lady Jane Grey. Of course, Jane's brief reign is highly disputed.
The last undisputed non-royal consort of the Monarch was Catherine Parr, the sixth and final wife of Henry VIII. Of Henry's six wives only two, Catherine of Aragon and Anne of Cleves, were of royal origin.

Several English Kings opted to marry non-royal ladies, among them Anne Neville and Elizabeth Woodville,
Old 10-15-2012, 12:04 PM
Heir Presumptive

For lack of a better place to put this - the Marriage Certificate of Charles/Camilla's wedding came up in another forum. It's interesting to compare The Duchess' signature then and now.

2005: http://latestonkateandwilliam.com/wp...52_634x286.jpg

2010: http://dianasjewels.net/C_Bracelets/...69_camilla.jpg

There's a lot of exuberance in the latter signature.
Old 10-16-2012, 03:59 AM
Heir Apparent

You are right. Camilla's signature on her wedding certificate shows a woman who signs documents (as most ordinary people do) neatly and legibly and I am sure it looked the same on her cheque book.

Now days Camilla gets to sign her name as an open public record or, as in the example, on documents such as thank you cards and letters. Now she has had time to become Camilla Duchess of Cornwall rather than just Camilla and exuberant certainly describes it.

I am not surprised by her signature as it seems to reflect her wonderfully uninhibited laughter and generally happy and uncomplicated approach to her life.

The more I see of her the more I really like her.
Old 10-16-2012, 07:52 AM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
The more I see of her the more I really like her.
It is the same here with me. Actually I think over the past couple of years and watching Camilla in action with and without Charles, she seems to me to exhibit a lot of traits that HM has.

Both her and Charles have also become very much more relaxed in their roles and its rare to see them photographed without a laugh or a smile on their faces.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:54 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
It is the same here with me. Actually I think over the past couple of years and watching Camilla in action with and without Charles, she seems to me to exhibit a lot of traits that HM has.
Really? I cant think of two people more diametrically opposed in pretty much every aspect of their life and the way they have conducted it than QEII and C.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:43 PM
Majesty

I too think she has a lot of the attributes of The Queen when on royal duties - she greets people, engages with them quickly, and makes them feel special without going all out. She comes across as a total natural at this, even though she came to it late in life. She could probably teach Kate a thing or two as Kate comes across as forced every time she appears with people - like she doesn't belong and knows it.

I see a lot of The Queen in Camilla - which may be part of the attraction for Charles.

Tags
camilla, duchess of cornwall, marriage, prince charles, prince of wales