The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-14-2012, 07:47 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilda Thomas
When all is said and done, I do hope that Queen Elizabeth and Camilla are placing bouquet of roses on Wallis Simpson's tomb.
Wallis was in a different time. I see no reason for Camilla and especially not The Queen to lay bouquets on that grave.

Old 08-14-2012, 08:39 PM
Nobility

They did that "Princess Consort" thing to quiet the hens when Camilla was marginally popular. Certainly not her lowest, but far from where she is today. The Queen is a strong believer in Polls. I think Charles has learned that this is a valuable tool from his mother. "Batten Down the Hatches when you are unpopular, and ride the wave when you are popular. ". That is how you survive for over a thousand years with 40 monarchs. Flowers to Wallis? Really people? Really?

Old 08-14-2012, 08:45 PM
Heir Presumptive

But it is hypocrisy. Camilla and Wallis are no different. And, when Margaret wanted to marry Armstrong-Jones, she gave up what might have been happiness for her, I say might have, because no one can be certain, because it would cause her sister a problem. Same problem. Margaret and Wallis were many years apart. Charles would not negotiate. So, petulance won out. The Queen, either had standards or not. Her mother persecuted Wallis. So, sorry. You can't explain away the hyypocrisy. Now, I can understand each case and I have no trouble with any of the marriages, including Charles. He loves Camilla. To his credit he fought.
Old 08-14-2012, 08:52 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNTESS
But it is hypocrisy. Camilla and Wallis are no different. And, when Margaret wanted to marry Armstrong-Jones, she gave up what might have been happiness for her, I say might have, because no one can be certain, because it would cause her sister a problem. Same problem. Margaret and Wallis were many years apart. Charles would not negotiate. So, petulance won out. The Queen, either had standards or not. Her mother persecuted Wallis. So, sorry. You can't explain away the hyypocrisy. Now, I can understand each case and I have no trouble with any of the marriages, including Charles. He loves Camilla. To his credit he fought.
How are Wallis and Camilla the same?. Walllis had been divorced twice had a shady background to put it mildly had ties to the Nazis and Was seeing guy while she was saying the prince. I really don't know what Wallis has to do with this thread
Old 08-14-2012, 09:02 PM
Nobility

I can certainly understand why Wallis is being brought up, but I think we have to remember that these are vastly different times we're living in with regard to opinion on these sorts of things.

As for the present situation, certainly the royal family has undergone a lot of change in the past couple of decades, and they've had to adapt a lot. At the same time, though, I think the monarchy needs to retain a certain level of tradition to survive. I think keeping the tradition of a king's wife being named queen (regardless of whether she's divorced or unpopular or whatever) is a good one to uphold. That's an overly simplistic interpretation of my views, but it's what they boil down to.
Old 08-14-2012, 09:09 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Royale View Post
I don't at all have an issue with your opinion, I just don't believe it rational to be stereotyped for mine because it's the skapegoat of choice.

Needless to say, I come at it from a different view point and not one that harbours any ill prejudice towards the Duchess.
Perhaps you have explained in the past, but I would like to know why. Personally, I think Camilla has been treated unfairly in the press, but I wonder if she shouldn't be known as "Queen" for the same reason that Philip is not "King."

Now that the rules of succession have changed, wouldn't it make sense to also rethink the role of the monarch's spouse. If a Queen's husband shouldn't be King, I don't know why the King's wife should be treated differently.
Old 08-14-2012, 09:13 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabella View Post
I can certainly understand why Wallis is being brought up, but I think we have to remember that these are vastly different times we're living in with regard to opinion on these sorts of things.
Exactly. In 1936 divorced people were not even allowed at Court, now we have a situation where three of the current monarch's children are divorced as well as her sister. Divorce in the general population is much more common.

To deny Camilla her title because she is divorced and remarried (and that's the only genuine reason why it would happen) is not only insulting to her but tells all divorcees that they are second class people.

Thank you also to those of you who answered my question about the legislation in other realms.

But we seem to have wandered off topic again, sorry moderators.
Old 08-14-2012, 09:15 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by US Royal Watcher View Post
Perhaps you have explained in the past, but I would like to know why. Personally, I think Camilla has been treated unfairly in the press, but I wonder if she shouldn't be known as "Queen" for the same reason that Philip is not "King."

Now that the rules of succession have changed, wouldn't it make sense to also rethink the role of the monarch's spouse. If a Queen's husband shouldn't be King, I don't know why the King's wife should be treated differently.
Oh, imagine the screams of horror from the Daily Mail if their beloved Kate were to be denied the title of Queen.
Old 08-14-2012, 09:22 PM

I absolutely agree! Becoming the Queen consort is NOT a popularity contest. It is on the condition of marrying a King. It does not matter whether the public likes her or not. Prince Charles loves her, married her and she should become Queen Camilla when the time comes.
Old 08-14-2012, 09:26 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemisia View Post
Australia had similar path, although it declared war on Germany immediately after Britain, on 3 September 1936. It was, however, completely the decision of the Australian Government who was not bound by Britain's declaration of war. Australian Government explained their decision by the fact the country's interests were too closely linked to those of Britain and that Britain's potential defeat could have harsh consequences for Australia (most notably, threat from Japan was mentioned). Unlike Canada, where the decision to enter the war was somewhat controversial, the majority of Australians strongly supported their government's position.
Menzies did not 'declare war' at all. His statement was 'as a consequence we are at war' a very different thing.

In 1942 the new PM even backdated the declaration of war to 1939 when he had the Parliament ratify the Westminster Agreement.

Curtin's action was to retroactively declare war but Menzies didn't declare war because Britain had done so on our behalf.
Old 08-14-2012, 09:30 PM

The reasons behind a sitting Queen deciding NOT to have her husband be King are rooted in power. If he becomes King, she automatically (as Queen) becomes his subject which is insane since she became Queen through royal blood and her husband (ie - Prince Phillip would become King by nothing more than being married to her). The problem would end up being the power he would have over her.
Old 08-14-2012, 09:33 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:

I have indeed explained my position in the past and at length so you are more than welcome to research my posts on the matter.

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 08-14-2012, 09:45 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Tina View Post
The reasons behind a sitting Queen deciding NOT to have her husband be King are rooted in power. If he becomes King, she automatically (as Queen) becomes his subject which is insane since she became Queen through royal blood and her husband (ie - Prince Phillip would become King by nothing more than being married to her). The problem would end up being the power he would have over her.
Very good point especially after having seen the wonderful 50's flick Young Bess about Queen Elizabeth I worth seeing!
Old 08-15-2012, 03:44 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Wallis was in a different time. I see no reason for Camilla and especially not The Queen to lay bouquets on that grave.
As Wallis is buried at Frogmore (IIRC?), I believe her grave will be properly tended by HM's staff. That should be enough, really.
Old 08-15-2012, 06:50 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Exactly my point. Now that a first born female may ascend the throne essentially means that the titles "king" and "queen" are equal. The idea that a woman automatically becomes submissive and is subjugated to her husband is old-fashioned and should be abolished.
Old 08-15-2012, 06:51 AM
Gentry

Quote:
I'm glad to see this issue addressed. As a young idealist I might have thought the same thing: why shouldn't the consort of a queen become king? In the 21st Century, especially if we are ready for girls to become monarch before their brothers, why not? But the two situations are drastically different. History has proven that women monarchs are at least as effective as men, but when a King and Queen in name, in a Judeo-Christian household, share rule, no matter whose birth takes precedence, the people have genuine reason for concern. In micro-kingdoms all over the world, battles rage every day about whether men or women are supposed to take charge of the home. In the larger world, biology rules, as does the King, just as he still does in the marketplace. Britain is wise.
Old 08-15-2012, 07:10 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Exactly my point. Now that a first born female may ascend the throne essentially means that the titles "king" and "queen" are equal. The idea that a woman automatically becomes submissive and is subjugated to her husband is old-fashioned and should be abolished.
Equal? Not a chance, in the bodies we have now. Have you seen a "traditional" wedding lately? There's plenty of need to shoot for the stars. But men still rule the world, and as a rule, this one should stand.
Old 08-15-2012, 07:25 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by US Royal Watcher
Actually I think that when you have a reigning queen, like in GB and in other European countries. The queen is actually king And queen. At least that is the situation in my country, the Netherlands.
Old 08-15-2012, 07:44 AM
Heir Apparent

A king or Queen regnant are as equals. Their sex matters not in the slightest.

They are the sovereign Lord and Lady's of their respective Kingdoms.

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 08-15-2012, 09:10 AM
Administrator

Let's get back on topic...this thread is suddenly all over the place.

Any and all posts that have nothing do with Charles and Camilla's marriage from April 2005 on will be deleted without notice.

Tags
camilla, duchess of cornwall, marriage, prince charles, prince of wales