The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-11-2012, 08:02 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
The Australian, New Zealand and New Guinea tour is after the British summer - well they are going to NZ in November so I assume they will do the other two countries at the same time and not make two trips down under in one year.

The Commonwealth tours are all staggered throughout the year.

I too saw no problems with these two during the Scandinavian tour but I do think that the agencies and the press don't like the idea of a happy Charles so try to find the least flattering photos at times to try to create trouble where none exists.
I meant they're doing several hefty overseas visits before you even take into consideration the really busy periods for the BRF in 2012 in the UK. I know they'll be staggered throughout the year, but that's still a heck of a lot of travelling in, what, 8 months? Harry, who's less than half Charles and Camilla's age, remarked on how utterly exhausted he was at the end of his Caribbean tour. C&C are essentially doing what he did 4 times this year.

I think the Scandinavian tour served a useful purpose of essentially introducing Camilla to the Scando RFs publicly, but I think it could've waited for a less busy year.

I predict that there'll be much ignorant public grumbling about Charles and Camilla's increased transport costs this year, even though they're travelling much more than is usually the case so travel costs are inevitably going to be higher.

Old 04-11-2012, 08:06 PM
Imperial Majesty

It is also hard with just a still photo because the agencies don't show every single still - just a selection.

When you see a video there is a lot more joy of life showing - I think.

Old 04-11-2012, 08:34 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Okay, so here are just a few that got me thinking - they are from the Danish leg of the tour and at the greeting so maybe she was flat-out tired. Maybe it was late afternoon (my nap-time). Maybe the sun was in her eyes - but she don't look happy. The Duchess is not amused. Anyway, these are just a few. There were others - but given what has been shared here I think she may have just been flat-out tired, the sun was too bright, its the 3rd country - hey, I want a nap!

http://tinyurl.com/7wjtq63

http://tinyurl.com/boh8rr8

http://tinyurl.com/7wfug7f

And then we have this, of course

http://tinyurl.com/7ksvmvf]
For the first pics it was taken during a wreath-laying ceremony for soldiers dead in Afghanistan. Maybe not the ideal place to have a good laugh.
For the last one, next shoot and she's having the time of her life :
Camilla Parker Bowles Photos - Charles and Camilla visit the Queen of Denmark - Zimbio

Anyway i presume that, like us, they have some days off. However i would not extrapolate some more or less good pictures to a new "War of the Wales 2.0", even if some people here and there would die for some trouble in paradise. Frankly there is a universe btw the pictures of these two during the tour and some photos taken 20 years ago of Charles and the previous Mrs Wales (Korea 1992 anyone ?).
Old 04-11-2012, 08:38 PM
Heir Apparent

And not just the expressions on the previous aforementioned couple at that time, but the body language also!
Old 04-11-2012, 08:42 PM
Majesty

Another thought just occurred to me. I don't see Charles and Camila as a couple that would be too demonstrative in public. Their interactions are very subtle, but they say a great deal. I think sometimes when one is exhausted and has been surrounded by people day in and day out (like during the Scandinavian tour), one may want to search for any moments that can be snatched to recharge, and have a little bit 'me' time. Perhaps cameras captured those instances . As others pointed out, still pictures are not the best indicators of anything that's going on behind the scenes, because we don't know what context the facial expression was made (if that makes sense).

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 04-12-2012, 04:59 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baroness of Books View Post
. . . . but you have to realise that when the multitude of cameras catch their expressions in a Nani-second of time on a constant basis, you won't always get the best countenance on their faces . . . . .
You have hit the nail squarely on the head.

Can someone tell me why it is that hard on the heels of some really "good" press from the Scandinavian tour, suddenly people are "seeing" cracks in the relationship. Photos taken in nano-seconds are produced as evidence of a crumbling relationship. Good heavens, she even walked ahead of him instead of glued to his side like the Wessexes do . . . etc. ad nauseum!

And, to add insult to injury, these negative little drops of poison are most often preceded with "I am a supporter, but" . . . But nothing, and we complain about the Mail Online! Who needs them when Charles and Camilla's "supporters" are announcing the demise of their relationship?

Nice one guys!
Old 04-12-2012, 06:44 AM
Heir Presumptive

The pictures where Camilla's smile doesn't quite reach her eyes are inevitable. One of the things the royals have to do is look thrilled to be doing things and meeting people that they ordinarily would have no interest in. It's one of the most important parts of the role - convincing a bunch of welders, say, that you find welding fascinating and would't want to be anywhere else, even though that's not actually the case.

You'll notice the Queen makes faces like that too, probably when her face is sore from having to smile so much:

The Queen in Canada

But, on the same day you see:

A much more genuine smile

In short, you could pick and choose photos and analyse them to death all day long.
Old 04-12-2012, 07:24 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
...Can someone tell me why it is that hard on the heels of some really "good" press from the Scandinavian tour, suddenly people are "seeing" cracks in the relationship...
People are voicing a concern. Right or wrong, I feel invested (for lack of a better word - I looked) in Charles' and Camilla's happiness as a couple. On one level, it's weird; on another, they represent something important to me. I want them to be happy; discussing it won't make any difference, but neither will discussing anything else. It's just a human thing. For some reason I'd feel better if some photographer caught them in a clandestine passionate kiss somewhere. I like the um, tape-that-shall-not-be-named; so did Gyles Brandreth. It's why I bought his book. I understand your point; detractors have been announcing their "divorce" for years, so those of us who support them should stand behind them. Sometimes, though, I wish Charles would demonstrate to both supporters and detractors that he, at least, is glad he ended up with Camilla, that he is proud of her, and happy to have her at his side. His mother did it last weekend. Obviously, they have the right to present themselves as they wish. Maybe they never give it a thought; maybe it's supposed to be more titillating this way; maybe there's nothing to present, and one day we'll get a nasty surprise. That's just my point of view.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:06 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryr0249 View Post
Sometimes, though, I wish Charles would demonstrate to both supporters and detractors that he, at least, is glad he ended up with Camilla, that he is proud of her, and happy to have her at his side.
I think he called her his "Darling Wife" during this tour....
Old 04-12-2012, 08:07 AM
Heir Apparent

I find the notion of them having to demonstrate their 'togetherness' as being really quite contrived. Surely it should come naturally and by all accounts, that's how it appears to me.

They aren't answerable for the state of their private lives to the extent that they should make public the nature of their bond. Does privacy really stand for nothing nowadays?

Perhaps I'm the only one, but to me there is the man who is Charles, and the gentleman that is the Prince of Wales. Now for all intents and purposes they are practically one in the same, many would argue, but it is only the Prince of Wales in his position as heir that interests me and I'm in no need of being privy to his personal life to an extent that is both intrusive and unnecessary.

I have a vested interest in the institution of monarchy and all it's trimmings (it's history and it's grandeur notably), and of course one has their favourites, but that's where it ends for me. As long as they conduct themselves in a manner that reflects positive social values, engage people on a personable level and make good their vowes to serve accordingly, then I couldn't ask for anything else of them.

One just wishes them well and expects they shall get on with it.

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 04-12-2012, 08:41 AM
Royal Highness

My thoughts exactly.

I'm only interested in Camilla's health due to the problems she might have to live accordingly. I can't see her eg going for a rehab or to a spa for some weeks. Or step down her work load. Just because she is Camilla and cannot give the media more chances to write her down, now that the queen gets older and older. That's sad and I don't want that to happen to her. But I need not read her medical records, mind you!
Old 04-12-2012, 08:41 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post

I too saw no problems with these two during the Scandinavian tour but I do think that the agencies and the press don't like the idea of a happy Charles so try to find the least flattering photos at times to try to create trouble where none exists.

I agree; I believe there are certain elements in the media that just can't accept that Charles is happier than he's ever been, and want him to feel remorse, or at least some regret.

I think others are more severe, and want him punished for the breakdown of his first marriage. A beaming, confident Charles is anathema for them.
Old 04-12-2012, 09:23 AM
Heir Presumptive

I don't understand this need for public individuals to 'demonstrate emotion'. It reminds me of the royal wedding last year when people were disappointed that neither William nor Kate cried, or weren't touching one another enough, or not holding hands.

The fact that Charles and Camilla don't kiss in public is that they obviously see that kind of intimacy as private. I think Charles is much like his parents, and indeed William in that way. Harry is a different kettle of fish.
Old 04-12-2012, 10:21 AM
Royal Highness

Well the strange thing is that i found them quite touchy and intimate. Don't get me wrong we're talking about Charles and he's not famous for being too extravagant about that (and the Windors in general BTW) BUT on the scale of the "british royals emotions in public" i think they crossed the line, and more that once with that !

Prince Charles and Camilla Parker Bowles Photos - The Prince Of Wales Visits Cornwall - Zimbio

Prince Charles and Camilla Parker Bowles Photos - Charles And Camilla Visit India - Day 3 - Zimbio

Camilla Parker Bowles and Prince Charles Photos - Camilla and Prince Charles Visit Tanzania - Zimbio

Camilla Parker Bowles and Prince Charles Photos - Prince Charles And Camilla, Duchess Of Cornwall Visit Morocco - Day 2 - Zimbio

Prince Charles and Camilla Parker Bowles Photos - Prince Charles And Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall Brazil Tour - Day 1 - Zimbio

And they often manage to have some "moments" despite the formality :

Prince Charles and Camilla Parker Bowles Photos - 19th Commonwealth Games - Opening Ceremony - Zimbio

Camilla Parker Bowles and Prince Charles Photos - Prince Charles Attends Drumhead Service in Edinburgh - Zimbio

Prince Charles and Camilla Parker Bowles Photos - Prince Charles And Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall Brazil Tour - Day 5 - Zimbio

Prince Charles and Camilla Parker Bowles Photos - Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall and Prince Charles visit South Africa - Day 2 - Zimbio

And my all time favorite (thanks to Getty).

http://i1250.photobucket.com/albums/...nemo/candc.jpg

Well as usual i'll not be too worried about the state of their marriage. It's an enduring love for sure...
Old 04-12-2012, 10:40 AM
Gentry

Thank you for those lovely photos, Nico. I also agree with what Iluvbertie and others said earlier about stills vs. videos. In stills, it sometimes looks like Charles is ignoring Camilla. In videos, I've noticed that he keeps "an eye" on her. When he moves on, he glances back or over; if he's close he reaches in her direction. I believe that in Africa his facial expression was noticeably relaxed and relieved the day she arrived. I also think (or imagine) that the two of them are more relaxed together when they are abroad. That said, I fully expect this Diamond Jubilee year, with all the attendant hoopla, physical stress, and psychological stuff dumped on Charles, will be taxing on both bones and brains (I'm about their age). God knows they have weathered incredible storms before, though, they will weather this one, too.
Old 04-12-2012, 12:37 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
Can someone tell me why it is that hard on the heels of some really "good" press from the Scandinavian tour, suddenly people are "seeing" cracks in the relationship...
Since this seems to be a directed post let me say that this is a discussion Board. I have an interest in Royalty that NO ONE in my RL circle has - in fact, were I to mention anything about my interest, my priorities would be questioned. It would be considered a bit of a strange past time - given my fairly gritty RL work and who I associate with on a daily basis.

If you have read the thread since I brought up the question you will see that the question is not 'sudden' for several people - and that in the discussion some really good insights have been brought forward. Nothing about this is 'poison' or non-supportive - just a discussion. I - as a supporter - was not announcing the demise of the relationship - just to be clear - I was bringing up an impression of a change recently - and wondered if all was well, healthwise, too.

In the end, some are taking the initial discussion to a dire spin that it never was. At another time I brought up the topic and had my post deleted because it was speculation. This time it wasn't deleted - and while I am grateful I can see some merit in not bringing it up because of such reactions. Some things seem best discussed via pm - but then one loses the wider input - almost makes one wish for a 'private' board where gritty stuff can be discussed without fear of reprimand. Even my comments about the Wessexes are brought up - which I particularly said was not as comparison.

P.S. I understand about nano-seconds of photos btw. What I am saying is with a background of understanding photography - and celebrity. Incidentally, some of the photos are dead-on, with the subject looking straight into the lens - not the norm. I have also wondered if the photogs were allowed too close - or closer than usual - and that could explain a lot.

When I posted I saw all the other posts since and am heartened - more measured discussion did follow. Thank you for your posts maryr0249.
Old 04-12-2012, 03:33 PM
Serene Highness

Apropos smiling or not smiling in photographs - recall how Victorians are considered so dour because they come off so serious in photographs? Well here's one for the living room picture frame on the piano.

http://tinyurl.com/7fdpbe5 (I love the second picture down - clearly mischief is afoot!)

Brought to you by "Victorians Smiling": LINK: Victorians Smiling | Retronaut

Even Queen Victoria: http://tinyurl.com/72pnc3z
Old 04-12-2012, 04:00 PM
Gentry

Thanks, Tyger - sometimes I feel a bit peculiar - other times, not so much.

The Victorians smiling are wonderful!
Old 04-12-2012, 04:44 PM
Serene Highness

Last bit I'll say on the matter, truth be said - I'm looking for any crack, crevice - anything - that gives me hope. I see daylight in that marriage and I'm on the next plane to London like a shot! Yeah, baby. We'll see who's going to be the next Queen of England. Camilla, my eye. I come on the scene and there'll be no contest.

P.S. I have come to really like Camilla - the public part I see - and I trust she is a great catch for Charles. I wish them only the best - and do not want the haters to win. I agree with your wail, Marg - I even thought my posting the question started bad stuff in the DM. I trust it didn't.
Old 04-12-2012, 04:54 PM
Majesty

The first part of your message makes me . This is not said in a mocking manner, so please don't get upset.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.

Tags
camilla, duchess of cornwall, marriage, prince charles, prince of wales