The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-04-2012, 06:10 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
I would argue that he is fully familiar with this phase having been a father and an uncle as well as a much older sibling to very young children .
Plus it is known that he used to hang around Camilla and Andrew Parker Bowles' home a lot when Camilla's children were small. I seem to recall it was mentioned in one of the Diana biographies that he came over from Highgrove to sit in C.'s kitchen with her and her kids when he had struggled with Diana. So he surely knows this side of her as well. And the way he behaved around Little Eliza at the wedding showed to me that he is used to hold and amuse this little lady. It is know that he always wanted a daughter - I wouldn't wonder if he loves Camilla's kids, especially Laura, very much and takes delight in her/their grandchildren.

Old 01-04-2012, 07:45 AM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kataryn View Post
I wouldn't wonder if he loves Camilla's kids, especially Laura, very much and takes delight in her/their grandchildren.
I would imagine he is quite at ease with both Tom and Laura from knowing them all of their lives. He is also Tom Parker-Bowles godfather.

Old 01-04-2012, 08:54 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
I would argue that he is fully familiar with this phase having been a father and an uncle as well as a much older sibling to very young children - he is after all 16 years older than Edward so would have experienced that phase within his own family before he was 20 and then again when Anne's, his and Andrew's children were at that phase and now Edward's children. He probably has less contact with Edward's than he did with the others, simply because of the age gap between his own children and Edward's but he has certainly experienced that destructive phase throughout his life since he was in his mid-teens.
When my siblings children were young I adored the way the whirled through tbe house, happy, excited, grubby and usually with an equally grubby four footed friend in tow. However, when those same nieces and nephews arrive with their offspring I find myself not nearly so sanguine.

My house is that filled with adults and the advent of short people means a quick whip around to remove my beloved breakables (or what's left after the quake) and child-proofing the living areas so the kids come to no harm. Making sure the ensuites are secure as make-up makes excellent mud pies and is really great for fingerpainting the walls! My sisters know every stick of furniture in my house and take care that the really small children learn the word "gently" when they include my Chihuahua in their fun. Basically they chase him and if they ever catch him I think the may squeeze him like a tube of toothpaste if "gentle" doesn't take root.

But this is my house and I am not used to having kids having the run of the place and to be honest, I doubt Charles is either. I think he is starting to get into the "Poppa" zone with his stepchildren but it takes time and its been twenty three years since therr has been a toddlers making themselves at home in his home.
Old 01-04-2012, 03:21 PM
Majesty

My aunt and uncle had their son four years ago, when both were in their late thirties. They're lucky to be living in the apartment that is right underneath my grandparents, so whenever they need to run errands or go out for the evening, they have babysitters right on hand. Now, my grandparents are in their mid-seventies, and even though they love children, and I remember when they used to run around and play with me, are not that young or energetic anymore. So, when my four-year-old cousin comes to stay with them, it's very hard for all parties involved. He wants to run around and let out some energy, but my grandfather would like some peace and quiet while he's surfing the net, and my grandmother doesn't have the stamina to run after the little boy (though she wishes she could). I think when people get older, they want more serene atmosphere, and when young children are involved, that's just not possible. I think Charles would be a great (step) grandpa when it comes to sitting down and reading a book, or maybe drawing/coloring, but I can see him being a little overwhelmed when there's a horde of little ones running around playing tag, and asking him to join in (and he probably is thinking that if they run any closer to that little coffee table with an antique vase on it, there will be trouble, because that vase came from Queen Victoria and cannot be replaced [yes, I'm just being facetious, but I won't put that thought past His Highness ]).

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 01-14-2012, 07:01 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
Seeing as how your not Prince Charles, it doesn't matter if you see what he likes about the "Parker Bowles woman". He likes her, he loves her, he married her THE END!
It matters to me, because when I don't understand something, it bothers me. Has he ever praised Camilla for her beauty? Her dress sense? If he has publicly praised her for anything, please show me. (Since I can't think of any right now) Why have they never done any interviews together? Why hasn't Camilla done ANY interviews at all?
Old 01-14-2012, 07:12 PM
Heir Apparent

Maybe because they are smart and understand that you should never discuss your private life. They are not Hollywood celebrities after all. Maybe he had enough of his first wife talking to the media and reporters about their life , and now they just want to settle back and enjoy their life privately. The public is not entitled to know everything about every public persons private life.
Old 01-14-2012, 07:40 PM
Heir Apparent

And time apart spent apart may very well strengthen their relationship as it does with other marriages. They're also not obligated to give public interviews. Charles may very well tell his wife personal and complimentary things behind closed doors, but that doesn't mean he has to proclaim them in public for us to hear.
Old 01-14-2012, 07:41 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
Maybe because they are smart and understand that you should never discuss your private life. They are not Hollywood celebrities after all. Maybe he had enough of his first wife talking to the media and reporters about their life , and now they just want to settle back and enjoy their life privately. The public is not entitled to know everything about every public persons private life.
Who knows, maybe I might actually change my mind about Camilla if she did do an interview! Prince Charles has done many interviews by himself (and a few with Diana).
Old 01-14-2012, 08:04 PM
Administrator

Please note that since Diana has nothing to do with this thread (i.e. Charles and Camilla: The Marriage 2005 and on), all off topic (and argumentative) posts have been deleted.

If you have any questions, please contact any of the British moderators via Private Message.

Zonk
British Forums Moderator

Old 01-14-2012, 08:17 PM
Majesty

Charles has, on many occasions, referred to 'his darling wife' so that is clear that he is telling the world what he thinks of Camilla.

Camilla has never given an interview and I doubt if she ever will. Charles, other than on specific issues, has only given the one and was, rightly condemned for that interview.

The British royals try hard to keep their private lives exactly that - with the exception of the early 90s.

Since this thread is about the years since 2005 we haven't had interviews since the engagement that year because of the way the interviews turned out in earlier years.
Old 01-14-2012, 08:40 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baroness of Books View Post
And time apart spent apart may very well strengthen their relationship as it does with other marriages. They're also not obligated to give public interviews. Charles may very well tell his wife personal and complimentary things behind closed doors, but that doesn't mean he has to proclaim them in public for us to hear.
If I don't hear it, then it doesn't happen, as far I know. If they don't want to give interviews, then I will think whatever about them I want. If it's incorrect, they can do an interview and correct my misconceptions. If they don't want to do that, oh well.
Old 01-14-2012, 08:45 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dianas Ghost View Post
Who knows, maybe I might actually change my mind about Camilla if she did do an interview!
Somehow I doubt that changing your mind is a primary consideration of TRH.
Old 01-14-2012, 08:49 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
If I don't hear it, then it doesn't happen, as far I know. If they don't want to give interviews, then I will think whatever about them I want. If it's incorrect, they can do an interview and correct my misconceptions. If they don't want to do that, oh well.
I somehow doubt it's of prime importance to the Duke and Duchess to grant interviews to correct whatever notions and misconceptions people may have about them.
Old 01-14-2012, 08:55 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Then there must be a lot that doesn't happen if you have to hear something to believe it.

Watching Charles and Camilla together they seem to have a loving, supportive and touching marriage. They seem very comfortable together.
Old 01-18-2012, 08:19 PM
Heir Presumptive

Let's please not give into the people who want to detour this thread with the negative. Charles and Camilla should live for themselves and their family, not for people they don't know and who will never be happy with them. The way they carry themselves gives me much respect for them.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 01-18-2012, 08:54 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
Let's please not give into the people who want to detour this thread with the negative. Charles and Camilla should live for themselves and their family, not for people they don't know and who will never be happy with them. The way they carry themselves gives me much respect for them.

I am with you - they are happy together and that is what should matter. When we see them they are smiling and laughing together more than anything else.
Old 01-18-2012, 09:27 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
I wonder you were even born as if, as you obviously couldn't hear your parents, then it didn't happen. And if you think that statement is rude and vulgar you are right.

It is also rude and vulgar to demand Prince Charles and/or Camilla go on TV and bare their souls and the intimate details of their private lives for your private edification just to correct your misconceptions. My you give a new meaning to the term "It's all about me".

Whoever do you think you are to demand such a thing? You are indeed free to think what you like but there is only so much pouting we can take before it becomes annoying. You will never get your demands so please let that be enough
Old 01-19-2012, 12:32 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliza View Post
I will respectfully disagree; there is much more tolerance for pro-Camilla posts whereas similar pro-Diana posts are many times deleted. Personally, I don't think there needs to be a competition between the dead Princess and an alive Camilla; under the circumstances, it can hardly be fair to either side.

I do very much believe that Camilla has brought much happiness to - and has very much settled - the Prince of Wales, and I am glad for both of them. Only good can come from his happiness and I'm sure he will be a better king because of the security of being in a happy and secure marriage with Camilla. That said, it is not necessary to put Diana down in order to raise up Camilla's reputation. I think the more relaxed and content PoW that we all can see does that for Camilla far more effectively than any dissection of the past could ever accomplish. In fact, I strongly believe that if Camilla's boosters were as generous to Diana's memory as they are to Camilla's and Charles' mistakes, then much of the rancour that is left would disappear and Camilla would benefit.
I have to say that while I may not agree with every single aspect of your opinion, you do make some excellent points. I enjoy this forum so much because even the "rabid" appearing fans of the late Diana do not go to the almost insane lengths I have seen elsewhere. (There are some truly scary people out there on the subject.) At least here, people are polite and willing to courteously listen to another's opinion whether they agree or not.

I admit to being a diehard Diana fan and, while not entirely thrilled at the prospect of Camilla by comparison, I have been won over by Camilla's grace and her efforts to do the "right thing" for the man she's married to even when she seems to be somewhat uncomfortable in the limelight. I find that I enjoy seeing pictures and videos of CnC together. They interact so beautifully that it is a joy to watch them. To partially quote a piece of my youth, may they live long and prosper.
Old 01-19-2012, 10:39 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
I wonder you were even born as if, as you obviously couldn't hear your parents, then it didn't happen. And if you think that statement is rude and vulgar you are right.

I is also rude and vulgar to demand Prince Charles and/or Camilla go on TV and bare their souls and the intimate details of their private lives for your private edification just to correct your misconceptions. My you give a new meaning to the term "It's all about me".

Whoever do you think you are to demand such a thing? You are indeed free to think what you like but there is only so much pouting we can take before it becomes annoying. You will never get your demands so please let that be enough
I am quite sure that there is a rule on this forum about not insulting other posters. Calling some one "rude and vulgar" and 'annoying' certainly falls into that category. Others are entitled to opinions different from your own. What right do you have to tell others to stop posting their opinions? As for 'There's only so much we can take', you do not speak for everyone on the forum.
Old 01-19-2012, 11:25 AM
Heir Presumptive

I think Camilla is wise to avoid interviews.
Why give the press the opportunity to pillory her?
The press never seem to like shades of gray; it's all saint/sinner with them.

But I think most rational people comprehend that there was fault on all sides, and that what matters is the way people conduct themselves now apres la deluge!

Camilla has been behaving with great dignity and has left the press with little that is negative to report, and I respect her for that.

Tags
camilla, duchess of cornwall, marriage, prince charles, prince of wales