The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-08-2011, 12:24 PM
Administrator

You know I am wondering if the tale of Charles setting up monies (i.e. a trust fund or something) for Camilla prior to their marriage is a load of bunk. I can't find ANY information to support that statement. I also remember at one time it was suggested that Charles set up trust funds for Tom and Laura as well, and I found articles where Tom supposedly refuted that claim.

So maybe its the same thing.

Old 10-08-2011, 03:51 PM
Courtier

I read briefly a bunch of pages back that Camilla had other options to marry within their circle, I think to make the point that her marriage to Charles wasn't as advantageous as one might think.

Now that's the sort of thing that intrigues me, genuinely new information (rather than the retreads.) I really had no idea that she was being courted elsewhere. I had always thought that her concurrent/sequential relationships with her husband and Charles were the summation of her romantic life after her rambunctious period between coming out and marriage to Andrew.

However, if it's true that she had alternatives to Charles, that would be a rather deft juggling of more than one marriage minded suitor within the concurrent/sequential mix of Charles and Andrew PB. Rather strategic! Who were these suitors courting her that provided that alternative? Again, this is new information to me and that's rare.

I'll go back and see if I can find it....

Old 10-08-2011, 03:55 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
Didn't Camilla lose a large share of her money during the 90's when the market crashed, or when Barings went under? I think that is what happened if.
Barings, or Lloyds of London crash? I seem to be remembering the number of titled and non-titled aristos who lost a considerable packet when Lloyds went whump. After all, who could ever imagine that Lloyds -the stalwart house which exemplified Empire - could ever wobble?
Old 10-08-2011, 05:34 PM
Administrator

The Duchess of Kent, Prince and Princess Michael and Angus Ogilvy were among those Lloyds 'Names' who it was claimed suffered financially when the company called on the syndicates to pay up to cover the huge insurance losses.
ref: Truth About Lloyds

As to Camilla...
"...PRINCE Charles's close friend Camilla Parker Bowles is facing losses thought to top £30,000 as a Name" at insurance Giants Lloyd's of London
ref: Truth About Lloyds

and

"Her lifestyle survived largely unscathed when she was one of the “names” (investors) in Lloyds of London who lost money in a scandal that engulfed many Lloyds insurance underwriters in the 1980s."
ref: Camilla, duchess of Cornwall
Old 11-12-2011, 05:54 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotAPretender View Post
I read briefly a bunch of pages back that Camilla had other options to marry within their circle, I think to make the point that her marriage to Charles wasn't as advantageous as one might think.
Quote:
Now that's the sort of thing that intrigues me, genuinely new information (rather than the retreads.) I really had no idea that she was being courted elsewhere. I had always thought that her concurrent/sequential relationships with her husband and Charles were the summation of her romantic life after her rambunctious period between coming out and marriage to Andrew.
Rambunctious? Care to elucidate?

Quote:
However, if it's true that she had alternatives to Charles, that would be a rather deft juggling of more than one marriage minded suitor within the concurrent/sequential mix of Charles and Andrew PB. Rather strategic! Who were these suitors courting her that provided that alternative? Again, this is new information to me and that's rare.

I'll go back and see if I can find it....
Deft juggling? We're still waiting for carification.
Old 11-13-2011, 04:01 AM
Commoner

I would just like to say that I deeply admire HRH the Prince of Wales and HRH the Duchess of Cornwall. They are a lovely couple and I believe they will be a good halfway step between the more traditional reign of HM the Queen and what is expected to be the more "modern" reign (eventually) of HRH the Duke of Cambridge.
Recently, I saw a video of the Prince and Duchess in Tanzania. There were local musicians and dancers who were trying to coax both of them to dance. Bless their hearts, they both made an effort. They may not have been as fluid and graceful at the native dances as the locals were but I don't think that too many other people who go to foreign countries as representatives make that kind of effort. I thoroughly enjoyed watching the clip and will always speak well of them both.
Old 12-30-2011, 11:04 PM
Commoner

I love Prince Charles, always have and always will. I collect Charles books, magazines, I even have a doll of him! I visit his website daily. But I will never in my life get what he sees in that Parker Bowles woman. Is he really as "happy" with her as people claim? Why do they do so many engagements separately? Why do they live in separate houses?
Old 12-30-2011, 11:47 PM
Majesty

Royals always do separate engagements - the Queen and Philip do lots of separate engagements, as do Edward and Sophie.

It allows the family to cover more engagements and allows more people to see a royal.

They don't live in separate houses. Camilla having had a life before marrying Charles also has a separate family and she likes to have a home where she can spend time with them. Charles likes to also have his time alone to do his own things. As a result she has Raymill house where she spends some time but most of the time they are together either at Highgrove or at CH. Like many couples they have some separate interests and so sometimes they are apart to enjoy those interests.

If, as you claim you have always like Charles, then you will have seen just how happy and relaxed he is now since his marriage to Camilla. She soothes him, she loves him for himself, she coddles him - which he loves.

I remember the happy smiling Charles of the 1970s and then the miserable unhappy man of the 80s. What we have back now is the happy Charles from the 70s and that is down to Camilla.

What he sees in her is her warmth, her fun, her kindness.

She isn't the 'Parker Bowles' woman. She is HRH The Duchess of Cornwall - the love of Charles' life - the woman he should have married in the early 70s when he was talked out of it by Mountbatten and others.
Old 12-30-2011, 11:50 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dianas Ghost View Post
I love Prince Charles, always have and always will. I collect Charles books, magazines, I even have a doll of him! I visit his website daily. But I will never in my life get what he sees in that Parker Bowles woman. Is he really as "happy" with her as people claim? Why do they do so many engagements separately? Why do they live in separate houses?
Separate engagements are not indications of any troubles in the marriage. It just means that they support different patronages. Also, it's not always possible to attend your spouse's engagements if you have one on the same day and at the same time. As for living in separate houses, that's just a matter of personal space. Not all married couples want to be together 24/7/365. I remember reading that Charles like his space, so Camilla gives him that by going and visiting her children, or what have you. I think the ability to be apart from one's spouse is a sign of a healthy relationship, where both partners are not co-dependant on one another and are able to function and have their own individual interests.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 12-30-2011, 11:59 PM
Heir Presumptive

Seeing as how your not Prince Charles, it doesn't matter if you see what he likes about the "Parker Bowles woman". He likes her, he loves her, he married her THE END!
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 12-31-2011, 01:20 AM
Aristocracy

How would anyone know if she soothed him or coddles him. Sounds like something from a fairy tale. And I know that I don't know that she doesn't. He is a 60 something man doubt he needs soothing
Old 12-31-2011, 01:40 AM
Serene Highness

What surprises me always is how women themselves play into the belief that 'beauty' (always subjective - but glossy magazine 'beauty' in this instance) is necessary to achieve love. Talk about buying into the fantasy of the most empty of rationales for a loving relationship.

That a man given a 'choice' between a Victoria's Secret runway model and a regular sort of normal looking woman - would choose the runway model - asks one to believe that Charles (or any man) is not capable of mature distinctions and is completely at the mercy of very superficial considerations.

Love is not about the outside but the inside. The outside may start the ball rolling - but there has to be substance on the inside. There are some who stimulate attraction - but it takes something more to stimulate love, beyond just attraction. That's been my experience - and having that experience - it all makes perfect sense to me.
Old 12-31-2011, 02:11 AM
Aristocracy

I agree with what you say but don't know what this has to do with any of the above posts. Maybe it's just your random thoughts if so sorry
Old 12-31-2011, 02:42 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady74 View Post
How would anyone know if she soothed him or coddles him. Sounds like something from a fairy tale. And I know that I don't know that she doesn't. He is a 60 something man doubt he needs soothing
I think we pretty much ALL bought into the fairy tale when he became engaged to Diana so why would him having another chance at a true fairy tale ending seem peculiar? I think that since we are all on the outside (as it were), we simply have to go on what is said (by those who do or don't know them), what we observe in public personally or through media, and, to be perfectly honest, the rumour mill.

I do have to say that he seems to be once again a happy person and since that appears to be due to Camilla's influence, all I can say is... Bravo for her! I wish them both all the happiness they can find.

(By the way... my husband is English also and only a year older than Charles. My observation is that age doesn't particularly negate a person's periodic need to be soothed and even coddled now and then. Whether that's simply luck of the draw, English men of a certain age, or something else entirely, I can't say. Just the way it happens in my experience so I don't find the idea odd at all.)
Old 12-31-2011, 02:55 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dianas Ghost View Post
They've loved each other for many, many years and they seem to really get each other as people and respect each other as equals. I admire that. I've always been a fan of both Charles and the late Princess of Wales, and I understood that while they were both very admirable people, they didn't have a functional partnership. I think he has a functional and happy partnership with the Duchess of Cornwall and I think they work together very well as a team.

I wish that everyone could let bygones be bygones and understand that theirs was a very human courtship- not the stuff of fairy tales, but the stuff of real life. And I hope that they're treated with respect when they eventually become King and Queen.
Old 12-31-2011, 03:15 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
I agree with what you say but don't know what this has to do with any of the above posts. Maybe it's just your random thoughts if so sorry
I may have scrambled the content of several threads I've been reading tonight - but someone on this thread did say 'But I will never in my life get what he sees in that Parker Bowles woman.' Given that I have often heard the argument that Charles' first wife was young and pretty - so with that 'choice' how could he 'like', 'love', Camilla - I was addressing what I felt was an age-old embedded argument 'against' Charles loving Camilla.
Old 12-31-2011, 03:20 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyger

I may have scrambled the content of several threads I've been reading tonight - but someone on this thread did say 'But I will never in my life get what he sees in that Parker Bowles woman.' Given that I have often heard the argument that Charles' first wife was young and pretty - so with that 'choice' how could he 'like', 'love', Camilla - I was addressing what I felt was an age-old embedded argument 'against' Charles loving Camilla.
I don't think " don't know what he sees in her " means how she looks. It is a common saying where I live and can mean a range of things
Old 12-31-2011, 03:37 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
I don't think " don't know what he sees in her " means how she looks. It is a common saying where I live and can mean a range of things
See, and I agree with Tyger that in the context of the Charles/Camilla relationship, it usually is meant to compare the looks of the Duchess of Cornwall to the looks of the late Princess of Wales. I've observed that as well, and I feel the same way about that comparison. Diana was objectively more physically beautiful, but it's clear that the Duchess and Charles have an equal partnership and that they love and respect each other as people.

That's actually something I've always found endearing about Charles- that he defied certain shallow expectations about what men like and was attracted to someone because of their inner qualities.
Old 12-31-2011, 03:52 AM
Serene Highness

Yes, I agree that Charles earned points by following his heart.
Old 12-31-2011, 04:01 AM
Heir Apparent

Where I come from "I don't know what he sees in her" would mean anything except youth and beauty! It is more depth, humanity, personal qualities like wit, humour, compassion, intellect, etc.

If you don't "see" it then you are saying "there's not a lot going on there, or she's as deep as your average puddle.

Bottom line . . . you see an awful lot of intelligent men walk down the aisle with a vacuum packed Barbie doll, but you don't see many intelligent women walking down the aisle with a vacuum packed Ken doll!

Personally, I think Camilla's wit, humour and intellect are all pretty well documented and to be honest, whilst she is not a raving beauty she has the loveliness and maturity of a woman of her years.

They just seem to complete and compliment each other.

http://www1.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/P...y26uAXfE9l.jpg

The above photo says it all. They are both on the same page and when he reaches back for her he knows she's there.

Tags
camilla, duchess of cornwall, marriage, prince charles, prince of wales