The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-02-2011, 03:35 PM
Majesty

She got a settlement from Charles? You mean a financial settlement? I know that he gave her jewelry over the years, but the suggestion here is that he gave her a large sum of money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotAPretender View Post
While her divorce settlement from Andrew was in keeping with Andrew's position as a miliary man of moderate means, Camilla was at that time the recipient of a settlement from Charles that made her independent for the first and only time in her life.

Old 10-02-2011, 03:46 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyger View Post
When a man lusts and loves, too, its the woman who holds the power position.

Any 'tune' Camilla must 'dance' to is more likely to do with the role she agreed to take on as the Duchess of Cornwall and The Princess of Wales and eventual Queen Consort - it has to do with the constraints of 'the firm' and nothing to do with Charles being a dictator - I suspect Camilla would walk if the marriage were not to her liking, regardless of the past - which says to me its going along fine. I doubt Camilla would have married Charles if she didn't love him and he her and they both had not talked it out at great length, possibly even with the Queen.

Given how Camilla is, its quite possible she could have remarried someone other than Charles (she seems to be very attractive to men even at her age) - and been less encumbered with Royal trappings and duties. Unlike Charles' first wife, I don't think - given what I have heard about Camilla - that she viewed marriage to Charles as 'the brass ring' - which is precisely why she was so suitable for him. She married for him not for his position or money.
I totally agree with that. The idea of Camilla dancing to Charles tunes seems totally out of her character to me. Imho she loves him and the lifestyle she lives now is a burden she carries because of this love. I've never seen any evidence that Camilla aspired a public role or excessive wealth. On her own, she would fare well, living a ather modest, but still rather opulent lifestyle on the countryside with her own big family, her exhusband financially caring for her. (Again imho) the fact that Charles spend alot of money to give her a splendid lifestyle in the years before the marriage has much more to do with his liking than with hers.

Old 10-02-2011, 04:42 PM
Imperial Majesty

So true.

Camilla was very happy in the background being a helper and supporter and would have been very happy to remain in that role. She accepted the invite to become a public figure out of love for Charles and for no other reason.
Old 10-04-2011, 06:13 PM
Heir Apparent

Bertie, at last we agree on something.
However, you said it much better than I!
Old 10-04-2011, 08:22 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyger View Post

But then, what about the 'presentation at court' that the Queen discontinued in the late 50's? The phrase says 'at court' - so where was the court? Where the Queen happens to be? Why did she do that BTW - stop the presentations?
There was a very interesting exhibit at Kensington Palace that delved into this.
Originally these presentations were rather limited and fairly modest: an older woman who was a former debutante presented a young woman to the Queen ( the girl was supposed to be a relative or a goddaughter).

However, the presentations became so popular that some of these chaperones were accepting money to sponsor young women who were not in any way connected with the sponsor. There were long lines to be presented, and eventually rather large sums of money changed hands. It smacked of bribery and was causing criticism.

The Queen did not discontinue the presentations because they were no longer popular, but because they became excessively so.
She substituted the less-formal garden parties instead.

Sorry for the digression.
Old 10-05-2011, 09:35 AM
Administrator in Memoriam

Quote:
Camilla certainly bettered her financial situation by marrying Charles
It's somewhat self-evident that marrying into wealth will make a person better off financially.
Perhaps you could give an example of a spouse of a British heir/heiress to the throne who didn't "better their financial situation" by such marriage.
Old 10-07-2011, 12:13 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
It's somewhat self-evident that marrying into wealth will make a person better off financially.
Perhaps you could give an example of a spouse of a British heir/heiress to the throne who didn't "better their financial situation" by such marriage.
Wouldn't that be off-topic? I know you and the other mods spent many an hour mopping up here.
Old 10-07-2011, 12:37 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Wouldn't that be off-topic? I know you and the other mods spent many an hour mopping up here.
No. Not off-topic. The thread is about the marriage - someone suggested that in marrying Charles, Camilla was improving her financial status - possibly suggesting that that would be a reason why Camilla would marry Charles - for money, an improved financial status.

The poster is simply saying that 'improving one's financial status' is a given if one marries into the royal family - so why would it be an 'issue' for comment regarding Camilla - making her motives suspect and venal - when for every other spouse who has married into the royal family its about being in love and idealistic and all of that.
Old 10-07-2011, 01:42 AM
Heir Presumptive

Kate's financial situation was bettered when she married William, Sophie's situation bettered when she married Edward, heck Philip's financial situation improved when he married Elizabeth. Just because there is some financial gain doesn't necessarily mean that was the only reason for the marriage.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 10-07-2011, 04:28 AM
Aristocracy

Maybe not the only reason. But it is a nice added bonus and could tip the scales depending on the person
Old 10-07-2011, 10:47 AM
Administrator

Please note that posts questioning/stating the motives of the wives of Charles have been deleted as speculative.

Please note that I said wives...that means that once again Diana was brought into the equation.

Old 10-07-2011, 01:04 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
This is very well put.

The current state of their marriage is - status quo - in certain respects. Charles has always held the power situation in this relationship; most affairs are more about power and less about sex, yet marriages tend to find a power equilibrium. Even after their marriage, Camilla holds the current wealth, power and position due solely by the grace of Charles. She must dance to Charles' tune, probably more so than during the very brief time that she was single, after Andrew divorced her.

While her divorce settlement from Andrew was in keeping with Andrew's position as a miliary man of moderate means, Camilla was at that time the recipient of a settlement from Charles that made her independent for the first and only time in her life.

Camilla certainly bettered her financial situation by marrying Charles, and the financial situation of her children. (It's wildly disingenous to suggest that Camilla was blind to the monetary advantages of such a match.) But I think that even she knows that it's an unequal equation. An unequal marriage, right down to the titles.

It's a bargain that needs to be kept, however, in this case; the bargains that were broken to get here demand it to be so.
Camilla inherited 500,000 pounds (today equal to $12,000,000 U.S.) from the Cubitt family when she turned 18.

In 1986 when Sonia her grandmother died she inherited another 500,000 (equal today to $2,500,000 U.S.)
Old 10-07-2011, 06:42 PM
Majesty

IOW Camilla was already wealthy, particularly if her money was wisely invested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Camilla View Post
Camilla inherited 500,000 pounds (today equal to $12,000,000 U.S.) from the Cubitt family when she turned 18.

In 1986 when Sonia her grandmother died she inherited another 500,000 (equal today to $2,500,000 U.S.)
Old 10-07-2011, 09:55 PM
Heir Presumptive

How was Camilla already wealthy? JW because I have not been able to find a lot of info on Camilla's personal life especially prior to her becoming involved with Charles. I do believe that she has never had a job or a career, and that is how she was raised. Does her wealth come from her family, her husband, or both?
Old 10-07-2011, 10:33 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
How was Camilla already wealthy? JW because I have not been able to find a lot of info on Camilla's personal life especially prior to her becoming involved with Charles. I do believe that she has never had a job or a career, and that is how she was raised. Does her wealth come from her family, her husband, or both?
In Post #742 Queen Camilla said:
Quote:

That is why it is fair to say that she was wealthy in her own right. She needed to be in order to truly mix with Charles and the polo set in the 1970s.
Old 10-07-2011, 10:38 PM
Heir Presumptive

Who is the Cubitt family? And I just assumed, perhaps wrongly, that any money Camilla inherited when she was 18 (the 60s) would have been gone by the time she married Charles if not before. But I guess I am just used to hearing of celebs who squander 300 million dollars.
Old 10-07-2011, 10:40 PM
Administrator

Didn't Camilla lose a large share of her money during the 90's when the market crashed, or when Barings went under? I think that is what happened if.

Old 10-07-2011, 11:13 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
Who is the Cubitt family? And I just assumed, perhaps wrongly, that any money Camilla inherited when she was 18 (the 60s) would have been gone by the time she married Charles if not before. But I guess I am just used to hearing of celebs who squander 300 million dollars.

The Cubitt's were her mother's family. This is about her great-great-great-grandfather who basically started the family business. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Cubitt He was responsible for the east front of BP and worked at Osbourne House amongst other buildings.
Quote:
His son by his wife Mary Anne Warner, George, who was created Baron Ashcombe in 1892, was the great-great-grandfather of Camilla Parker Bowles.
I can't find anything to confirm that Camilla lost everything in the Barings collapse but it is possible of course.
Old 10-07-2011, 11:25 PM
Administrator

I don't believe she lost all of her fortune, just some of it in the Baring collapse. Of course, I am looking for the sources.

Either way it makes no difference now IMO. She is the wife of Charles and what his is her and vice versa.

Old 10-08-2011, 01:41 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
She got a settlement from Charles? You mean a financial settlement? I know that he gave her jewelry over the years, but the suggestion here is that he gave her a large sum of money.

Quote:
Mermaid queried the suggestion that Charles paid her a large sum of money, and you have not seen fit to provide any source or reference other than you said it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Camilla View Post

Queen Camilla has provided information, which is verified on several different websites that Camilla was a wealthy woman in her own right by the age of 18, a woman of independent means, and received a further large bequest, which rather squashes your statement that Camilla's only income was her (by your estimation) modest divorce settlement.

In point of fact, you know as little of Camilla's personal wealth as you do about that of her husband and their married life, not to mention her divorce settlement.

But none of the above answers the question of where you got the idea that Charles paid her a large sum of money, giving her her first and only, real independence.

Would you care to respond?

Tags
camilla, duchess of cornwall, marriage, prince charles, prince of wales