The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #701  
Old 09-05-2011, 12:47 AM
Mermaid1962's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: NearTheCoast, Canada
Posts: 6,004
I think you're right, Aliza. Diana had her "issues", certainly; but a person doesn't have to be harsh about Diana to support Camilla. The reverse is also true.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliza View Post
In fact, I strongly believe that if Camilla's boosters were as generous to Diana's memory as they are to Camilla's and Charles' mistakes, then much of the rancour that is left would disappear and Camilla would benefit.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #702  
Old 09-05-2011, 03:07 AM
MARG's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand
Posts: 6,049
This thread is called "The Marriage"! To say something nice about Camilla does not imply anything negative about Diana.

The Marriage deals with an event that occurred after the death of Diana PoW and does not have anything to do with her. There really is no logical reason to bring Diana into this discussion.
__________________

__________________
MARG
"Words ought to be a little wild, for they are assaults of thoughts on the unthinking." - JM Keynes
Reply With Quote
  #703  
Old 09-05-2011, 03:07 AM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: alpine village, Germany
Posts: 1,868
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliza View Post
In fact, I strongly believe that if Camilla's boosters were as generous to Diana's memory as they are to Camilla's and Charles' mistakes, then much of the rancour that is left would disappear and Camilla would benefit.
Maybe it's because Diana had so much but showed not much generosity of spirit when it came to the people closest to her while Camilla was very discreet, very undemanding.
It was a very bad situation for all of them but Camilla surely, once she was named by Diana, had the worst part .
Reply With Quote
  #704  
Old 09-05-2011, 03:53 AM
Zonk's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Somewhere in, United States
Posts: 11,330
Lets get back on topic....this thread has NOTHING to do with Diana.
__________________
.

Reply With Quote
  #705  
Old 09-20-2011, 04:51 PM
Commoner
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 25
Camilla's been working hard to make a go of it - she seems to be much more suited and comfortable in the country, living out her life and spending time with her family. But, instead of living out a quiet life, she's doing engagements and putting up with all the criticism. I've never been a huge fan of hers, but I do respect her for her efforts in the last few years.
Reply With Quote
  #706  
Old 09-28-2011, 03:27 AM
XeniaCasaraghi's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: 1729 Noneofyourbusiness Drive, United States
Posts: 2,702
I must say that surprisingly Camilla has turned out to be quite a good Princess and representative for England. I often wondered how their marriage came about and if Charles had to convince her to step out of the shadows and take on an official role; if so she has exceeded all expectations and carries herself well.
__________________
Princess Grace, April 19, 1956
Princess Margaret Rose, May 6, 1960
Crown Princess Mette-Marit, August 25, 2001
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Reply With Quote
  #707  
Old 09-28-2011, 03:15 PM
Zonk's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Somewhere in, United States
Posts: 11,330
After a MAJOR clean up that removed several posts that weren't about the marriage of Charles and Camilla ---- this thread is now reopened.

Any and all discussion regarding Diana as well as the Charles and Camilla relationship prior 2005 will be deleted without notice.

Let's remain on topic.

Warren, wbenson & Zonk
British Forums Moderators
__________________
.

Reply With Quote
  #708  
Old 09-29-2011, 03:37 PM
Warren's Avatar
Administrator in Memoriam
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 15,476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliza View Post
...there is much more tolerance for pro-Camilla posts whereas similar pro-Diana posts are many times deleted.
Before we move on, I'd like to pick up on this. Let me state for the record there is no "line" that the British Forum moderators take when it comes to so-called "pro-Camilla" or "pro-Diana" posts. The assertion that "similar pro-Diana posts are many times deleted" has no basis in fact whatsoever and I'd challenge anyone to provide evidence to the contrary. Posts are NOT removed by the moderators because they are "pro" or "anti" anything. Posts are edited or deleted due to intemperate language, deliberate incitement [we're experienced enough to pick these straight off, plus there are some members who specialise in it], repetitiveness, emptiness and irrelevancy. More usually, posts are deleted simply because they are completely off-topic and have led to a lengthy digression, more often than not into the same-old Charles-Camilla-Diana [CCD] triangle.

The British Forums is an organised structure which contains nearly 200,000 posts in over 900 threads. That's a lot of individual discussion topics. For obvious reasons, the moderators cannot allow a CCD discussion to develop wherever a member chooses to initiate it. For some members this comes as a surprise and the moderators are accused of "favouritism" and "censorship" and "bias". Sorry, there's no conspiracy, the truth is more prosaic: it's about thread content and ensuring they remain largely on topic within the overall structure. Dull eh?


This thread is titled "
Charles and Camilla: The Marriage" (I've just added "2005 and on" to make it crystal clear). It is not a thread for the discussion of who was responsible for the breakdown of the relationship and marriage between Charles and Diana and arguments about who was the guilty party. Yesterday's moderator intervention was due to exactly this. As a result, 36 posts were removed. No tally was done as to the number of "pro-Camilla" vs "pro-Diana" posts involved.

I trust this has made the situation clear and we won't be seeing any more sweeping statements about "pro-Camilla" and "pro-Diana" posts.
If anyone wishes to discuss this issue further, please do so via PM to a British Forums moderator of your choice and not in this thread.


thanks


Warren
, wbenson and Zonk
The British Forums moderating team
__________________
Seeking information? Check out the extensive Royal A-Z
Reply With Quote
  #709  
Old 09-29-2011, 03:58 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Los Angeles CA, United States
Posts: 1,082
What strikes me as interesting is that the Queen Consort - the woman, after all, the wife - will set the tone for Charles' 'Court' - however that manifests in modern day, whenever it will be for Charles. Just like it is the woman/wife/mother who sets the tone of holiday celebrations - not always, of course - but as a general tendency.

Given that Charles and Camilla are proving to be a benevolent pairing, with mutual respect and support manifesting - will there be more 'interesting' dinners at the palace? Will they have soiress and a more lively social scene around them?

This may be about the future - so what is it like now? I think I read that there are dinners at Clarence House with notable quests, that William and Harry attended/attend, contributing to their education. Does that still go on? Is that a regular weekly thing? Seasonal? Or is it considered 'below the radar' of public engagements and not publicized?
Reply With Quote
  #710  
Old 09-29-2011, 07:17 PM
MARG's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand
Posts: 6,049
Unfortunately I am guessing it will be very "under the radar", so we will miss this aspect until such time as they deign to make it "public".

However, over the years Charles has built up a wide and eclectic range of friends from all aspect of life. Add Camilla's life friends and I think it must make for great dinner parties.

I don't think they would be chatting soley about hounds and fashion!
__________________
MARG
"Words ought to be a little wild, for they are assaults of thoughts on the unthinking." - JM Keynes
Reply With Quote
  #711  
Old 09-29-2011, 08:00 PM
Lady74's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 122
Maybe under the radar because it doesn't happen. Camilla is also reported to spend a lot of away from Charles and with her grandchildren. Who knows
Reply With Quote
  #712  
Old 09-29-2011, 09:03 PM
PrincessKaimi's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Hilo, Malibu, United States
Posts: 1,328
The modern day "Court" manifests itself in political speeches, charity drives and similar activities. There's virtually no "court" as there was, for example, in the days of Henry II.

Many couples spend time apart, royal or not. Not everyone has the "be together all the time model," indeed - I think that is a main factor in whether a marriage works (both people should be on the same page; if one wants or needs more attention than the other is willing to give, big problems).

Both Camilla and Charles strike me as independent, he strikes me as a bit solitary (I'm like that too, I feel as if I can recognize a kindred spirit). Women who will tolerate lack of attention from their spouses seem to be few and far between in my world (it's the biggest complaint women have - their husbands don't pay enough attention to them, here in my world).

But Camilla seems happy with the relationship - and that's a good thing. I think it's a chief reason why Charles is able to be himself around her. Being one's own self around a spouse is extremely important to happiness. Modifying the self to be with the spouse is possible for malleable people, so malleable women, in particular, are attractive to some men - but not all men. Camilla doesn't strike me as unmalleable, by the way, she seems quite adaptable.
Reply With Quote
  #713  
Old 09-29-2011, 09:24 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Los Angeles CA, United States
Posts: 1,082
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessKaimi View Post
The modern day "Court" manifests itself in political speeches, charity drives and similar activities. There's virtually no "court" as there was, for example, in the days of Henry II.
Oh, so that's how much I know.

But it must make a difference for the extended family to have an agreeable couple 'at the helm' - wouldn't you say?

How about Balmoral in the summer/fall - and Christmas at Sandringham - are these not sort of - maybe - equivalent to a 'court'?

When was the last 'court' as I am talking about? What king or queen - what era?
Reply With Quote
  #714  
Old 09-29-2011, 09:56 PM
PrincessKaimi's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Hilo, Malibu, United States
Posts: 1,328
Tyger, I wish I knew (I'm stuck in Renaissance history). Surely there was a court then. Yes, I do believe Christmas at Sandringham counts - but doesn't probably include major religious figures like the Archbishop of Canterbury or the nation's top bards. Does it even have mummery/a play? Does it patronize the arts at all? (Oh, how I love these questions).

Yes, it does make a big difference to society at large to have an agreeable couple with a reasonable functional marriage at the helm. Public appearances are very important and people are very much influenced by symbolism, what they see with their own eyes and much more. It helps to have a "real family" somewhere in the upper echelons of government, as most of us live in families and we relate to the familiarity. That's why monarchy is so precious. But what a burden, in many ways, it must be (most families have 'rules' and we all know that it's uncomfortable to be the rulebreaker - getting divorced, etc.)
Reply With Quote
  #715  
Old 09-30-2011, 02:16 AM
XeniaCasaraghi's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: 1729 Noneofyourbusiness Drive, United States
Posts: 2,702
I dont think there is any such thing as a court in the modern world, at least not in England. You could maybe have a posse or entourage as big headed celebrities do.
I am another person who likes being alone and in isolation; if that is Charles' forte then Camilla has definitely been aware of it for a long time. I honestly don't envision that there was some kind of honeymoon period for these 2 when they got married; it was really just putting an official stamp on a decade(s) long relationship.
__________________
Princess Grace, April 19, 1956
Princess Margaret Rose, May 6, 1960
Crown Princess Mette-Marit, August 25, 2001
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Reply With Quote
  #716  
Old 09-30-2011, 04:57 AM
muriel's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: London / Guildford, United Kingdom
Posts: 6,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady74 View Post
Maybe under the radar because it doesn't happen.
By inference, are you suggesting that anything that is not published and announced with photographs probably did not happen?
Reply With Quote
  #717  
Old 09-30-2011, 07:26 AM
Lady74's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel

By inference, are you suggesting that anything that is not published and announced with photographs probably did not happen?
No I'm saying how do we know it happens. You are saying it does so how do you it does. Unless we are friends or family neither of us know what happens in their private life. Do you not agree
Reply With Quote
  #718  
Old 09-30-2011, 09:14 AM
MARG's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand
Posts: 6,049
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady74 View Post
Maybe under the radar because it doesn't happen. Camilla is also reported to spend a lot of away from Charles and with her grandchildren. Who knows
Do we have any reputable sources for the above statement and a definition of "a lot"?
__________________
MARG
"Words ought to be a little wild, for they are assaults of thoughts on the unthinking." - JM Keynes
Reply With Quote
  #719  
Old 09-30-2011, 09:30 AM
Lady74's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG
Do we have any reputable sources for the above statement and a definition of "a lot"?
As I say who knows , how long do you want to keep playing ping pong
Reply With Quote
  #720  
Old 09-30-2011, 10:14 AM
muriel's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: London / Guildford, United Kingdom
Posts: 6,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady74 View Post
Maybe under the radar because it doesn't happen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
By inference, are you suggesting that anything that is not published and announced with photographs probably did not happen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady74 View Post
You are saying it does so how do you it does.
I am not suggesting that it does happen. I merely take exception to you suggestion that if there is no public evidence, then it is quite likely that these regular soirrees do not take place.

It is well know that C&C regularly hold weekends at Sandringham, amongst other country homes, for people from the arts and literary world. Jeremy Paxman and Stephen Fry have commented about these in the past.
__________________

Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
camilla, duchess of cornwall, marriage, prince charles, prince of wales


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Popular Tags
ascot 2016 best gown best gown september 2016 best hat best outfit best outfit 2016 catherine middleton style countess of wessex coup d'etat crown prince haakon crown princess mary crown princess mary fashion crown princess mette-marit current events dom duarte duchess of cambridge e-mail fashion poll felipe vi grand duchess josephine-charlotte grand duke jean greece kate middleton king abdullah ii king carl gustaf's birthday king felipe king felipe vi king willem-alexander member introduction monarchy new zealand nobel gala norway november 2016 october 2016 opening of parliament picture of the week prince bernhard prince charles princess madeleine princess marie princess mary princess mary daytime fashion princess mary fashion princess mary hats queen letizia queen letizia casual outfits queen letizia daytime fashion queen letizia fashion queen letizia style queen mathilde queen mathildes outfits queen maxima queen maxima casual wear queen maxima daytime fashion queen maxima fashion queen maxima hats queen maxima style queen rania royal fashion september 2016 state visit state visit to denmark succession sweden the duchess of cambridge the duchess of cambridge casual wear the duchess of cambridge daytime fashion the duchess of cambridge fashion the duchess of cambridge hats


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:07 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2016
Jelsoft Enterprises