The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-16-2011, 07:58 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Its been stated several places that Charles really does value his alone time As much as I do love my husband, I would really love to be able to have more alone time. Being retired and together all the time is wonderful but I do miss my quiet times alone.
Yes I do think Charles has always been a bit of an introverted "loner" and quite happy to "do his own thing", which many romantic suitors would not usually understand. I think over the past 30 years Camilla has played her role as a mistress very well by giving Charles what he needed and also when he needed it. I for one treasure the time with my husband. A night out with the lads is still acceptable but I am not sure if I could deal with too many "extended" absences. I suppose a case of each to his own.

Old 08-16-2011, 01:37 PM
Nobility

If everyone around PoW is doing everything to cater to HIS needs, I just wonder what he gives back? This is not ment as a criticism, but just wondering. I just seems to me that to be married into the BRF, you have to give up on your own personality in order to "fit" in. I couldn't do it

Old 08-16-2011, 06:17 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by olebabs View Post
If everyone around PoW is doing everything to cater to HIS needs, I just wonder what he gives back? This is not ment as a criticism, but just wondering. I just seems to me that to be married into the BRF, you have to give up on your own personality in order to "fit" in. I couldn't do it
I don't think this situation has anything really to do with Charles being PoW or the BRF per se. Its more a case of two people who married later in life and are somewhat "set in their ways" in regards to certain things. Charles has always been known to be fastidious about things with everything in its place and not a thing out of place... he's like that even down to the shine of his shoes. Camilla on the other hand always had a more relaxed lifestyle with dogs running the house and kid's fingerprints on the walls I'd imagine. Going back to Ray Mill for a while gives Camilla breathing room to just be herself as it gives Charles his alone time to paint or read and breathe. I think its wonderful they can do this.
Old 08-16-2011, 06:38 PM
Courtier

Everyone needs their own time to be themselves. When my husband and I retired 16 years ago I worried about being together too much. He had worked a swing shift for 34 years and I worked a steady day job. That meant some weeks we barely saw each other. To go from that to being together all the time was scary. We solved it and we have our own den's so we can each do our thing, and be together when we want. It may not work for everyone, but it does for us.
Old 09-02-2011, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
Some people hope the marriage is in trouble.

Some people believe the marriage is in trouble.

Personally I see a couple who are very comfortable together and also enjoy time with others besides their partner - like many normal couples actually.

I don't think there is any trouble in that marriage.

I agree. People make things up where they want to see some action. This is the strongest couple in the Royal World. As big of a fan of Diana as I feel I am, this is a happy ending. Time to move on.
Old 09-02-2011, 01:49 AM
Heir Presumptive

As a loner, I applaud both Charles and Camilla for not needing to be on top of each other every day of their lives. Time a part is a good thing for some people and it seems CnC are some of those people. As for what Charles gives to Camilla, it is sad that when it comes to both her and Kate that people do not talk about what their husbands give to them in relation to love, support, happiness etc. It seems that most of the time the "male --> female" aspect is ignored or shallow, like all the men are good for or provide to their wives is a title and money.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 09-02-2011, 04:31 AM
Courtier

I think William and Kate are very much a young couple in love and wanting to be together for the "right" reasons. In the case of Charles and Camilla, the problem is that when you marry the mistress you have had for the past 20 odd years, very little changes after the marriage. I think this is why Charles and Camilla are rumoured to still lead largely separate lives. This is the way it has always been. It suited both paries, so why should it change? Obviously Camilla's long wait has paid off and she has gained titles and wealth, which I am sure no one would say no to. However, basically all the marriage ring has done is allow Camilla to be seated at the same table as HM the Queen at functions of state.
Old 09-02-2011, 08:55 AM
Majesty

Well, that puts things in perspective. Camilla, an intrepid social climber, married the heir to the throne of England, not, as we naive romantics imagined, for the "right" reason, and certainly not because she loved him because well, hell, they don't actually live as a normal husband and wife because he's an anal compulsive neat freak and she is basically still just the mistress with perks!

Oh no, her reasons were much more prosaic. She just wanted to sit at the same table as his mother!

Yeah, right.

Of all the insulting, mean and hurtful things said about Charles and Camilla, that is just plain nasty, and dressing it up with nice words doesn't change a or disguise the contempt with which you obviously seem to hold both them and their marriage.
Old 09-02-2011, 09:14 AM
Royal Highness

Hear, Hear!
Old 09-02-2011, 09:15 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisiesforever View Post
I think William and Kate are very much a young couple in love and wanting to be together for the "right" reasons. In the case of Charles and Camilla, the problem is that when you marry the mistress you have had for the past 20 odd years, very little changes after the marriage. I think this is why Charles and Camilla are rumoured to still lead largely separate lives. This is the way it has always been. It suited both paries, so why should it change? Obviously Camilla's long wait has paid off and she has gained titles and wealth, which I am sure no one would say no to. However, basically all the marriage ring has done is allow Camilla to be seated at the same table as HM the Queen at functions of state.

Camilla gave up a lot of her private life and had to start working at the age when most women are retiring and yet she did it. She has had to visit countries where she hasn't been comfortable such as the Middle East. she has had to become very conscious of how she appears in public - no more slipping down to the corner store in her comfy clothes. She has had to endure being the most hated step-mother since Cinderella's.

Would you take on all that, and more, simply for a title and the right to sit with a particular woman at dinner? I don't know anyone who would.

Charles and Camilla behave like a married couple who have been together for years - not just the six since their wedding but for most of their adult lives. They are first and foremost friends. However they don't spend all their times on top of each other. For Camilla she wants to spend some time with her own children and grandchildren - understandable but Charles isn't as comfortable in that environment - they aren't his grandchildren. They don't smother each other but allow each other their own space - not something that many people understand but something that is common in many successful marriages. It is actually healthy to spend some time apart - it gives you things to talk about and makes the time together all the more precious.

For Charles and Camilla a lot change when they married - they committed themselves to each other and for Camilla that meant committing herself to the service of the nation for the rest of her life (some will argue that she doesn't do much but her most important service is surely making the heir to the throne happy for the first time since the late 70s) and a nation where she knew quite a few people despised her and some even hated her but still she did it - for a title and a few dinners - hardly - for love.
Old 09-02-2011, 10:16 AM
Nobility

Unceasing Camilla-Bashing

I am sick, sick of the continuing attempts by a segment of our forum to demonize Camilla. She's no saint, but she's no devil, either. She's a good mom, grandmom, and, most revealing: she has great relationships with her stepsons. If she were as evil as is sometimes suggested, they would hate her.

I will always remember a photo from Windsor after the reception following Charles and Camilla's wedding which showed William and Harry being totally mischievous, having personally decorated the "getaway" car, and throwing rose petals and laughing as C & C drove away. That picture spoke a thousand words.
Old 09-02-2011, 11:26 AM
Commoner

for some reason many people just cannot accept Charles and Camilla are simply happy together. every relationship has its ups and down, but some would like to believe this one has no ups

how do we even know all those articles about the "leading separate lives" are true? because some mysterious "friends of the couple" apparently said so? yeah, right. C and C are very lucky to have extremely discreet friends who would not speak about their private problems (if they had any) to the media, ever. sometimes I wonder if these so-called journalist just make up their articles completely, with absolutely no source, just because they have nothing to write about

C and C probably spend some time apart, yes, but what is wrong with that? it doesn't mean they don't love each other (because they obviously do) or that they are going to divorce. it is hard to get married in late 50's, when both of them have their own families

a little off-topic and might have been discussed before, but at the W and K wedding, when everyone was leaving the balcony, I think Charles was holding Eliza's hand leading her out. so cute
Old 09-02-2011, 11:28 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susanna Wynne View Post
I am sick, sick of the continuing attempts by a segment of our forum to demonize Camilla. She's no saint, but she's no devil, either. She's a good mom, grandmom, and, most revealing: she has great relationships with her stepsons. If she were as evil as is sometimes suggested, they would hate her.

I will always remember a photo from Windsor after the reception following Charles and Camilla's wedding which showed William and Harry being totally mischievous, having personally decorated the "getaway" car, and throwing rose petals and laughing as C & C drove away. That picture spoke a thousand words.
Couldn't agree with you most!
Old 09-02-2011, 02:02 PM
Majesty

Quote:

Well said! I don't think it's fair to have this much animosity towards someone that we have never met (and most likely won't meet either). What happened didn't involve the entire, world, but because of all the publicity it received, it certainly felt like everything was everyone's business. In reality, it's not like that. Camila makes Charles happy, so therefore, the rest of the public can just relax and go on about their daily lives. I highly doubt that Camila is disliked by Charles' children, because if that were the case, her granddaughter would not have been involved in William's wedding.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 09-02-2011, 11:03 PM
Heir Presumptive

I agree with Bertie and Susanna, especially this insane idea that Camilla schemed for 30+ years to become the Princess of Wales Muhahahaha! The woman has been through just as much h--- as Diana and Charles.
Old 09-03-2011, 12:43 AM
Serene Highness

I have found the ignore feature helpful when it comes to hiding repetitive opinion that demonizes anyone. That's not why I'm here. I want to learn. I don't want to moralize (although I will deconstruct fashion; I won't do the same thing to a person's marriage or their character).

And, if you've said it once, it's been said, you're not going to win others over by saying it a bunch of times.
Old 09-03-2011, 01:04 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:

It's amazing how people can read the exact same material and come away with completely different impressions! I find this forum to be, by far the most pro-Camilla and anti-Diana of all the major Royal forums.

I will never deny that I am more sympathetic to Diana's point of view, but Diana is dead and beyond being hurt now. Camilla can not change the past and I don't think her life was easy during the "three in this marriage" period, either. Like everyone, Camilla has made mistakes, and like everyone, she deserves the chance to move past them without having them waved in her face every day.

I don't know if anyone outside of William, Harry (and maybe Kate can truly say what Camilla's relationship is with Charles and Diana's sons. I learned a huge lesson when "Diana, Her True Story" and Dimbleby's "The Prince Of Wales" were published: Both showed the general public does not usually know what is going on in private royal lives unless the royals themselves choose to lift the curtain. Perhaps Camilla has a wonderful relationship with William and Harry or maybe they treat her with respect and friendliness out of love for their father. We will never know as I doubt those two young men are ever going to indulge in repeats of their parents' confessionals, in print or on television.

I think we will have to wait for William to be king before we see how much lasting influence Diana had on him and how much her ideas will influence his reign.

But to get back to the topic of your post, Camilla should not be demonised by Diana's admirers. Had the Princess lived, I'm sure she would have been long past any animosity towards Camilla; after all, she became great friends with Raine Spencer, a lady she detested for far longer than she did Camilla. The Princess could indeed forgive and no one does anything constructive "for" Diana by slamming Camilla. I don't think Camilla helps her cause sometimes but I'll leave that for another post as I don't want to obfuscate the point I'm trying to make.
Old 09-03-2011, 05:48 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
I find this forum to be, by far the most pro-Camilla and anti-Diana of all the major Royal forums.
Mmmm i would say you can find here more OBJECTIVE points of view than other forums...
Old 09-03-2011, 06:54 AM
Heir Presumptive

I wouldn't say this forum is anti-Diana; but it does seem to be more open towards Camilla and willing to believe the good rather than always believing the bad.
Old 09-04-2011, 09:43 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
Mmmm i would say you can find here more OBJECTIVE points of view than other forums...
I will respectfully disagree; there is much more tolerance for pro-Camilla posts whereas similar pro-Diana posts are many times deleted. Personally, I don't think there needs to be a competition between the dead Princess and an alive Camilla; under the circumstances, it can hardly be fair to either side.

I do very much believe that Camilla has brought much happiness to - and has very much settled - the Prince of Wales, and I am glad for both of them. Only good can come from his happiness and I'm sure he will be a better king because of the security of being in a happy and secure marriage with Camilla. That said, it is not necessary to put Diana down in order to raise up Camilla's reputation. I think the more relaxed and content PoW that we all can see does that for Camilla far more effectively than any dissection of the past could ever accomplish. In fact, I strongly believe that if Camilla's boosters were as generous to Diana's memory as they are to Camilla's and Charles' mistakes, then much of the rancour that is left would disappear and Camilla would benefit.

Tags
camilla, duchess of cornwall, marriage, prince charles, prince of wales