The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-04-2011, 05:54 AM
Heir Apparent

A very interesting post, Osipi.

I studied theology, and there aren't just three loves, but four.

The English writer C. S. Lewis came up with Storge (affection), Philia (friendship), Eros (romantic love) and Agapè (unconditional love.

The Four Loves - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-04-2011, 10:57 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliza View Post
They also needed to secure the forgiveness of the PERSON they wronged the most: Diana. Since she was not alive, it seems some sort of gesture to the head of the Spencer Family or some direct comment made by both Charles AND Camilla about the pain they caused her and their repentance about that might have caused more people to look favourably upon their uniting in a civil service as well as the blessing that was performed to "get around" the C of E's views on remarrying while a spouse is still living, as in the case of the then Mrs. Parker-Bowles.
After what Earl Spencer said at Diana's funeral service, you could forget about Charles ever saying something like that in public, no matter what he privately thinks. One can only take so much!

As for Camilla's marriage to APB, AFAIK she married him in a church ceremony conducted in the Roman Catholic Ritus. So I think the Anglican church accepted her Civil Divorce as they didn't accept her Roman Catholic Chruch Wedding as binding. At least that's how the Catholics deal with Civil or Protestant Church Weddings - they don't really exist for them.

So I think the whole spectacle of a Civil Wedding plus Church Service of Prayer was just for the Church members who recalled Charles' first marriage ceremony and that he was a divorce, not a widower even though his first wife was dead.

Old 06-05-2011, 03:32 PM
Commoner

I was very happy when Charles and Camilla married. I am a huge Camilla fan, always have been. I just love her to death. I think this couple were made for each other and have given each other a great deal of happiness. I wish them nothing but the very best, a long and very happy life together. I do hope that Camilla becomes Queen when Charles ascends to the throne, I honestly think she will.
Old 06-06-2011, 11:04 PM
Aristocracy

I agree with you that Camilla will become "Queen Consort" but I think it is a real shame and that it shows reward to those who pursued affairs outside of the bonds of matrimony, especially when young children were involved. That is just my opinion, and I acknowledge that I am rather "old-fashioned" in my outlook for my age. However, any dance with "Princess Consort" is as ridiculous as the current "Duchess of Cornwall" tightrope walk. Camilla IS the Princess of Wales and if Charles succeeds the Queen in the normal course of events - she WILL be Queen Consort. Reality is reality; and some "Diana fans" need to get over wrongs that can never be righted, on either side - Charles' or Diana's. Diana's early death prevented the natural healing that time would have provided for all along with SJP's successful public relations campaign on behalf of Camilla's standing with the British People. The success of that PR campaign will always have the flaw that Diana's death isolated her in a moment in time; young, beautiful, and modern. Would Diana's next steps in life have allowed her to remain on the pedestal she occupied? I rather doubt it. The typically hypocritical tabloids that went into hysterics upon her death had just finished haranguing her for practically the entire month of August over her relationship with Dodi Fayed. I think it's safe to speculate that more of that type of media coverage was on its way, and Diana knew it well, too.
When all is said and done, though - I must say, "Long to reign over us" has extra meaning for me now, every time I hear God Save The Queen played!
Old 06-07-2011, 04:40 PM
Commoner

I also heard that Diana had hoped Charles and Camilla would make it together. I think she accepted their relationship in a dignified manner that most could not. I do agree if Charles had stayed with Camilla from the time they began seeing each other Diana could still be alive and may have had a different, happier life. Diana and Charles were not in love and should not have married.
Old 06-07-2011, 08:11 PM
Aristocracy

Diana was most definitely in love with Prince Charles when they wed. Neither the Prince nor Diana herself ever said anything otherwise. All one needs to do is watch their initial engagement interview again.

I think Charles never let go of his feelings for Camilla and Camilla was all too happy to play Mrs. Keppel 2.0. But it's all said and done now and I agree with you that Diana would wish them well in their relationship, now. She was always "for" what would make her boys the happiest whenever possible and I believe she would have acted in a dignified manner as you suggest when they decided to wed.

Even I have to admit that Charles is a much happier man with Camilla, although that does not make me approve of the road that was taken to achieve this result. The end never justifies the means when it involves breaking up families with young children. It would have been nice for them to ALL back off until the boys were grown and Camilla's children, too. I give APB the most credit of ALL the players in this drama; he has behaved impeccably throughout, IMHO.
Old 06-07-2011, 09:50 PM
Heir Presumptive

Well said Aliza.
Old 06-07-2011, 10:11 PM
Commoner

DELETED BY AUTHOR

My apologies for going off topic, I should have known better.
Old 06-07-2011, 11:57 PM
Nobility

Try "whatever in love means". "In love" has many different meanings, not every person interprets the phrase the same.
Old 06-08-2011, 12:13 AM
Administrator

Let's get back on topic.

This thread is about the marriage of Charles and Camilla NOT Charles and Diana.

Additional off topic posts will be deleted without notice.

Old 06-08-2011, 05:31 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliza View Post
I give APB the most credit of ALL the players in this drama; he has behaved impeccably throughout, IMHO.
If cheating repeatedly on your fiancee and then wife throughout your marriage is behaving impeccably then Andrew Parker Bowles did. However I don't agree!
APB had a long term relationship with Rosemary Pitman whom he married just after his divorce from Camilla was finalised. He was no 'wronged man' as he had various affairs during his married life with Camilla, it says a lot that they are both on such friendly terms. One of the justifications often given for Diana cheating was 'well her husband cheated so that drove her to it. Even if the man in question was married" The same can be applied to Camilla, her husband cheated and so she was driven into the arms of another man even if he was married. (Not much difference between the 2 woman at all!)

Neither monarchs nor consorts are American politicians, their private lives don't bar them from their jobs. Edward VII had muliple affairs, Edward VIII had relationships with married women. King Albert of Belgium had affairs and fathered an illegitimate child. Queen Paola had affairs. King Juan Carlos had a long term mistress, even the 'happily married' King Carl Gustav cheated. Prince Bernhard fathered 2 illegitimate daughters and had countless affairs and yet he was still the Prince Consort to his wife.

What's important now that Charles and Camilla have found happiness in their 'mature years' and time moves on.
Old 06-13-2011, 05:59 PM
Heir Presumptive

Well politicians private lives didn't because public business until Bill Clinton. Because our past presidents have been cheaters and womanizers just like the English.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 06-14-2011, 01:16 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte1 View Post
If cheating repeatedly on your fiancee and then wife throughout your marriage is behaving impeccably then Andrew Parker Bowles did. However I don't agree!...
I was referring to APB's public behaviour, not his private affairs, although I do understand that I should have made that distinction when I made the original post.
Old 06-14-2011, 06:09 PM
Nobility

I just sincerly hope they will last, because I don't think he or she could survive another scandal.

It would be interesting to hear from Camilla herself though about the whole thing.
Old 06-14-2011, 08:49 PM
Heir Presumptive

Really? I think Charles is the ultimate survivor. There could be a tsunami in England and you would find Charles at the top of London bridge wearing the crown jewels afterward.
Old 06-14-2011, 09:20 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter View Post
Really? I think Charles is the ultimate survivor. There could be a tsunami in England and you would find Charles at the top of London bridge wearing the crown jewels afterward.
That provided a very interesting mental image.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 06-14-2011, 09:30 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by olebabs View Post
I just sincerly hope they will last, because I don't think he or she could survive another scandal.

It would be interesting to hear from Camilla herself though about the whole thing.

That is something that we won't hear as she believes very strongly that you don't wash the dirty linen in public.
Old 06-15-2011, 04:51 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
That is something that we won't hear as she believes very strongly that you don't wash the dirty linen in public.
In that respect she reminds me so much of QEQM. As Duchess of York, she supported her Bertie no matter what his problems or shortcomings were and they remained an united front together through thick and thin. Since the marriage of Charles and Camilla, she's doing in public for Charles and people are starting to see that and respect her for it.

She is also smart enough to know that their personal intimacies through the years is just that.. personal and no one else's business. She may write her memoirs in years to come but I'll bet my last doughnut that it would be done with taste and discretion. Its who she is.
Old 06-16-2011, 04:49 AM
Heir Presumptive

I don't know if she will ever write a book, both her and her ex husband seem to prefer to leave private things private. One of the reasons Cam was so vilified is because we didn't hear her side of the story; but if she went through the early 90s, the book, and "the tapes" and didn't talk; I don't think she ever will.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 06-16-2011, 08:30 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
I don't know if she will ever write a book, both her and her ex husband seem to prefer to leave private things private. One of the reasons Cam was so vilified is because we didn't hear her side of the story; but if she went through the early 90s, the book, and "the tapes" and didn't talk; I don't think she ever will.
I have the feeling that we won't learn more than what has already be told via the Dimbleby-book. Surely Charles will want to leave his diaries for future generations (he is a historian after all) but I don't think they will be available till some years if not decades after his death. I'm not sure Camilla is writing a diary as well and if so, I don't think she will make them public even after her death but have them probably added to the Royal archives.

Perhaps they will in due time (long into their own reign as king and Queen) allow people close to them to write about them just like the queen during these last years has allowed trusted authors or her family to publish books including private material but in case of Camilla and Charles I doubt even then much will be included that sheds some light on the D-C-C-triangle.

Tags
camilla, duchess of cornwall, marriage, prince charles, prince of wales