The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-10-2010, 12:37 AM
Majesty

I think that this is the nicest photo of a young Camilla that I've seen. Can anyone make out what she appears to be carrying, besides her handbag?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAfan View Post

Old 09-10-2010, 08:56 AM
Heir Apparent

Camilla used to be really beautiful and well-groomed. In fact, she's one of the very few British royal ladies I find naturally pretty (while they were young). Another one is the Princess Royal.

Old 09-10-2010, 09:24 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
I think that this is the nicest photo of a young Camilla that I've seen. Can anyone make out what she appears to be carrying, besides her handbag?
It looks like she's got a party bag containing a barbie doll and the family silver...
Old 09-10-2010, 07:52 PM
Aristocracy

The Princess of Wales is terribly shy. Noone expected a star like Diana but a ceremonial royal family should be more visual and visible. The Princess of Wales hides her face and is too tame in dress sense - not adding to the soap opera
Old 09-10-2010, 09:33 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob2008 View Post
The Princess of Wales is terribly shy. Noone expected a star like Diana but a ceremonial royal family should be more visual and visible. The Princess of Wales hides her face and is too tame in dress sense - not adding to the soap opera

Thank goodness. We had enough of the soap opera with Diana.

Now we have a sensible royal family that doesn't seek publicity and the press for self-gratification but rather one that works at doing good things for the people and provide a bit of glamour at times.

The royals now are behaving perfectly and Camilla is the perfect consort to Charles allowing him the limelight the way she should and the way Philip does with the Queen rather than trying to overshadow him.
Old 09-10-2010, 10:08 PM
Majesty

I can see the Barbie hair and what looks like the tops of expensive perfume bottles. I'm pretty sure that it's a party favour of some kind. Maybe we could start a thread like "What's in the Queen's handbag" only call it, "What's in Camilla's party grab-bag?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacknch View Post
It looks like she's got a party bag containing a barbie doll and the family silver...
Old 09-11-2010, 01:02 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Camilla looked gorgeus! I've never used that term to describe her before.
Old 09-12-2010, 12:55 PM
Heir Presumptive

Hasn't the reports been that they are mostly living in separate houses. They both have their own estates and when people are marrying at a mature age the assumption that they should combine their lives and only have one home is perhaps not the only option. Many couples would perhaps be happier together if they did not have to spend all time in the same house.
Old 09-13-2010, 04:22 PM
Heir Apparent

There is never only one option. Why should Camilla give up her own property and other things that belong to her personally? I think she probably only uses it for a getaway. Many would like to assert that there is "trouble" in the marriage and in this day and age, it would be great fodder for the tabloids. I know many folks who grumble about not having any freedom in their marriages. My feeling is that neither of them will leave the other, no matter what!
Old 09-13-2010, 06:31 PM
Imperial Majesty

I was actually talking to some friends the other day who were talking about a couple in their early 60s who had decided to marry both having lost their partners but also both own their own homes a couple of suburbs apart. After discussions with their children they are keeping their own homes and will live in their own homes and also spend time at their new partner's homes as neither of them could envision living in a different home and neither wanted to live in the others home but neither wanted to move into a totally new home either. They are not the only couple I know who are doing that as I have a couple of other friends who did the same thing. Their marriages work and they both have their boltholes if they need them.
Old 09-13-2010, 07:08 PM
Heir Apparent

When reading my posts regarding marriage, please remember that I am an old woman who has a different outlook toward marriage. I think my lovey-dovey stage ended when I realized that friendship and companionship were more important than "love." "Love" can be so tiresome.
Old 09-14-2010, 08:38 AM
Heir Apparent

^ Friendship and companionship can be combined with love, can't they? I think Charles & Camilla, as a couple, do have the 'package', so to speak. I see nothing wrong in living separately when they want to, especially if we take under consideration their lives in the past and their status. JMO
Old 09-14-2010, 08:57 AM
Majesty

It seems Camilla loves to play mother and grandmother to her children and grandchildren.

Whilst I am sure Charles is at ease with the kids, the grandkids could be something he just can't get his head around . . . noise, chaos, mess, all the joys of new parenthood.

Perhaps he feels that that is the place for Andrew Parker-Bowles and doesn't want to crowd the issue.
Old 09-22-2010, 10:08 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
I remember seeing that photo in a special royal edition of Hello magazine last year and freaking out. I had just met Camilla a few weeks prior to that edition being released and it was the first time I actually said to my mom my God Camilla was gorgeous when she was young.
Old 10-05-2010, 11:24 PM
Royal Highness

Thanks for posting that pic of Camilla when she was young.Everyone thinks that she was beautiful.
What could be the reason that she was considered unsuitable or that made Charles procrastinate in the first round, when he should have stepped up to marry her then?
Old 10-05-2010, 11:47 PM
Majesty

From what I can understand, Camilla wasn't considered virginal enough to be a royal bride (by the standards of the day). Perhaps there was also an expectation that the Prince of Wales would marry an aristocrat. Perhaps Lord Mountbatten--who was a confidant and adviser to the young Prince Charles-- also discouraged Prince Charles marrying Camilla, because he had hopes that his grand-daughter Amanda would marry him instead. I suspect that Mountbatten would have considered Camilla more mistress material than Princess of Wales material. He wrote to Prince Charles: "In a case like yours, the man should sow his wild oats and have as many affairs as he can before settling down, but for a wife he should choose a suitable, attractive, and sweet-charactered girl before she has met anyone else she might fall for... It is disturbing for women to have experiences if they have to remain on a pedestal after marriage."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaya View Post
Thanks for posting that pic of Camilla when she was young.Everyone thinks that she was beautiful.
What could be the reason that she was considered unsuitable or that made Charles procrastinate in the first round, when he should have stepped up to marry her then?
Old 10-07-2010, 01:45 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaya View Post
.Everyone thinks that she was beautiful.
I haev never considered Camilla beautiful. I think of her as a very handsome woman (with fabulous legs, btw!) who is more of a "man's woman" in that she deals better with men and flattering men, not unlike her great-grandmother Alice Keppel.
Old 10-08-2010, 04:15 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Why Camilla was snubbed by the Queen | Mail Online

Quote:
An intriguing ­insight into the Queen’s view on ­marriage — and in particular her attitude towards Prince Charles’s relationship with the then Mrs Camilla Parker Bowles — has been revealed by Tony Blair’s closest political aide, Jonathan Powell.
In a memoir, the former diplomat reveals how the Queen did not want to ‘set a bad example’ to the Prince and his mistress, and ­therefore ‘disinvited’ Powell and his partner from a royal event because they were not married.
The revealing passage in his book, The New Machiavelli, comes when Powell, 54 — Blair’s chief of staff from 1995 until 2007 — tells of his trip with the then Prime Minister to Balmoral in ­September 2001
Old 10-08-2010, 05:27 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Is that not just yet another Labour luvvie trying to spice up their book with royal anecdotes that are unlikely to be verifiable? Jonathan Powell and his partner were hardly going to be royal models for C & C. By 2001, the wheels had been set in motion for Camilla to be seen alongside Prince Charles publicly, and she had already met the Queen at Highgrove at King Constantine's 60th birthday party.
Old 10-16-2010, 07:54 PM
Serene Highness

He's already married to a woman the COE couldn't marry him to because her first husband is still alive. (And that's keeping it simple!)

Tags
camilla, duchess of cornwall, marriage, prince charles, prince of wales