The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-25-2008, 12:41 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandon View Post
Yes, it's necessary. However how often do we witness the civil ceremony of an heir to the throne?
Then perhaps you should have stated "British Royalty". Not meaning to beat a dead horse here but having been soundly "thrashed" at various times for not completely writing out my thoughts (we are not mindreaders, after all ) I want to spare you the anguish I have dealt with thinking I inadvertantly was rude to someone or that I did not clarifiy my thoughts and some persons were offended or confused and a little bit of a back and forth, ahem, "discussion" ensued. Just an FYI, Brandon! I've really enjoyed your posts, BTW

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 11-08-2008, 09:04 PM
Courtier

Secret documents cast doubt on legality of Charles's wedding | Mail Online

Old 11-08-2008, 09:20 PM
Imperial Majesty

Boring, The Libs come out with this story time and again, especially when yet another of their candidates has lost his deposit in a local byelection. What they seem to be forgetting is that they fully support the European Human Rights bill, under whose legislation permission had to be granted, or does the legislation only apply when they want it to?
Old 11-10-2008, 10:05 AM
Heir Presumptive

Very interesting. Of course, they HAD to have a civil wedding because of the divorce issue. I quote 'Life with the Queen' page 51 "But contrary to Palace rumours at the time, Dr Williams was not approached by Prince Charles to see if a church wedding could be arranged. Charles knew that would be a non-starter and the Archbishop would be bound to refuse, so he spared him that particular embarrassment' (my bolding). So if the civil wedding was not legal, then they are not legally married? It will be interesting when that book comes out. As for the story coming out time and again...where there's smoke.....
Old 11-10-2008, 10:15 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
Boring,
Coudln´t agree more... and surely it isn´t a pure accident that this ´news´ returned again only some days before Charles´ 60th birthday...but this repeat every half year does not make it more true or more interesting or it isn´t filled with more substance this time...
Old 11-10-2008, 10:33 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by milla Ca View Post
Coudln´t agree more... and surely it isn´t a pure accident that this ´news´ returned again only some days before Charles´ 60th birthday...but this repeat every half year does not make it more true or more interesting or it isn´t filled with more substance this time...
Quite right.

So if what has been said is true: they can't marry in church, and they can't marry in a civil ceremony - so how does it matter to most of us. They were hardly expected to produce any royal bastards, were they!
Old 11-10-2008, 11:07 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter View Post
Very interesting. Of course, they HAD to have a civil wedding because of the divorce issue. I quote 'Life with the Queen' page 51 "But contrary to Palace rumours at the time, Dr Williams was not approached by Prince Charles to see if a church wedding could be arranged. Charles knew that would be a non-starter and the Archbishop would be bound to refuse, so he spared him that particular embarrassment' (my bolding). So if the civil wedding was not legal, then they are not legally married? It will be interesting when that book comes out. As for the story coming out time and again...where there's smoke.....
No, they didn't have to have a civil ceremony, where did you say you had read that, (not the Lib Dem handout surely)?

While Hoey may be an interesting read, I do have to wonder what evidence he gives to back up his statement regarding Rowan Williams likely decision on a question he wasn't asked or Charles' knowledge of Rowan Williams likely thoughts.

Once again, it seems to have been missed, you cannot have legislation in regard to everyone except XYZ, that is not legal under British or European legislation.

Where there's smoke, does that apply to all ex royals as well?
Old 11-10-2008, 11:15 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by milla Ca View Post
They probably hadn't even realised about Charles birthday!

For those to whom it might be important they marry in church (which church, which religion), (the Lib Dems perhaps), easy, a full blown ENGLISH ceremony as soon as Charles takes over, but before the coronation, a huge taxpayer funded ceremony!
Old 11-10-2008, 10:41 PM
Heir Presumptive

Where did I read it? In the book cited. On the page cited. The book you knew the author of, which I did not mention. To answer your question, Brian Hoey, according to the bio on the jacket "has been a writer, journalist and broadcaster for more than 40 years. Known as a respected and autoritative chronicler of royal events, he has interviewed several members of the Royal Family for radio and television and has had many articles on royalty published in newspapers andmagazines world wide. He is the author of numerous books on maritime and royal history. These incluse The Royal Yacht Brittania, Anne: The Princess Royal, The Queen and Her Family, Prince William, and Snowdon" This in NOt Kitty Kelly.

Elspeth, this is exactly my point. When a book has been exhaustively vetted by the publisher to avoid law suits, and a TRF member responds with 'what evidence did he give', what is the official position of this forum on what is considered to be an authentic/reliable/quotable source? Because there really isn't much point in researching the information if the response is going to be 'Was there a statement from the Palace? If not it's an urban legend'.
Old 11-11-2008, 12:31 AM

Why wouldn't they have married in church if it wasn't a problem? Especially as Charles is going to be head of the Church of England. Wasn't the civil service seen as a middle ground, so to speak?
Old 11-11-2008, 12:41 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
No, they didn't have to have a civil ceremony, where did you say you had read that, (not the Lib Dem handout surely)?
In England they probably did. They could have married in Scotland like Princess Anne, but the CofE guidelines on remarriage of divorced people do seem to frown on remarriage to someone who was instrumental in the breakup of the first marriage. Even though a lot is left to the judgement of the particular clergyman, it would look a lot like special treatment for Charles to be able to do something that most Britons wouldn't be able to do, and that wouldn't have helped his popularity in the least.

Quote:
While Hoey may be an interesting read, I do have to wonder what evidence he gives to back up his statement regarding Rowan Williams likely decision on a question he wasn't asked or Charles' knowledge of Rowan Williams likely thoughts.
Maybe someone who has a copy of the book could tell us if there are footnotes to that effect. I might have a copy somewhere but I'm not sure which pile of books to start looking in.

Quote:
Once again, it seems to have been missed, you cannot have legislation in regard to everyone except XYZ, that is not legal under British or European legislation.
I thought there was a law (which has apparently been superseded by later legislation) which specifically excluded the royal family from being able to contract a civil marriage. Apparently when the law was drafted nobody gave any thought to the possibility of a royal being an atheist and not wanting to marry in church.
Old 11-11-2008, 01:02 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Where did I read it? In the book cited. On the page cited. The book you knew the author of, which I did not mention. To answer your question, Brian Hoey, according to the bio on the jacket "has been a writer, journalist and broadcaster for more than 40 years. Known as a respected and autoritative chronicler of royal events, he has interviewed several members of the Royal Family for radio and television and has had many articles on royalty published in newspapers andmagazines world wide. He is the author of numerous books on maritime and royal history. These incluse The Royal Yacht Brittania, Anne: The Princess Royal, The Queen and Her Family, Prince William, and Snowdon" This in NOt Kitty Kelly.

Elspeth, this is exactly my point. When a book has been exhaustively vetted by the publisher to avoid law suits, and a TRF member responds with 'what evidence did he give', what is the official position of this forum on what is considered to be an authentic/reliable/quotable source? Because there really isn't much point in researching the information if the response is going to be 'Was there a statement from the Palace? If not it's an urban legend'.
I don't know that we have any really authoritative biographies of this period of the Prince's life. Brian Hoey seems to be a reputable royal biographer but I don't think he's authoritative enough that if he says one thing and other people are saying the opposite, you can necessarily say that he's right and they're wrong. In this case you can just, as you've done, point to the evidence in his book to back up your opinion, but if someone else comes up with a royal biography saying that Charles consulted Dr Williams about a church wedding, it's going to be one person's word against the other's unless Charles or Dr Williams make a statement about it.

The scenario could have been anything from Charles knowing because Dr Williams had told him without being asked to Charles knowing because he or the Queen had made discreet and indirect enquiries. The Church is fairly clear on not wanting to get involved in a situation where a man wants to marry a woman with whom he was having an affair during his previous marriage - on the other hand, the previous Archbishop is on the record as saying that Charles and Camilla should marry, so apparently Dr Carey at least thought a wedding of some sort would be possible, although he could have been thinking about a wedding in the Church of Scotland (the solution Princess Anne came up with for her second marriage).
Old 11-11-2008, 03:38 AM
Super Moderator

The Problem with the Church of England and indeed the laws of this country is that it says one thing then does something completely different. If the CoE is against remarriage by divorcees then equally it should be against the blessings of marriage by divorcees. It is legal in this this country for people to contract a civil marriage ceremony and quite simply that is what Charles and Camilla did. Unless the Act of Settlement specifically states that an heir to the throme cannot marry A) a divorcee or B) in a civil ceremony or there is sufficient law to prevent an heir from marrying under such circumstances then the tabloids should button up! I would have thought the heir to the throne could do whatever he likes - if it's good enough for the people then its good enough for him!
Old 11-11-2008, 03:56 AM
Imperial Majesty

The Act of Settlement didn't cover civil marriages because they didn't exist back then. It wasn't till the Marriage Act of 1836 that civil weddings were allowed, and the royal family was specifically excluded.

There's some information about it here, in an article written by the Lord Chancellor:

Department for Constitutional Affairs - Speeches - Parliamentary Statements

It says that the 1836 Act contains the statement that the Act ""… shall not extend to the marriage of any of the Royal Family".

According to that article, the 1836 Act was repealed by the 1949 Marriage Act and the 1953 Registration Service Act; the 1949 Act contains the wording, "Nothing in this Act shall affect any law or custom relating to the marriage of members of the Royal Family."
Old 11-11-2008, 04:20 AM
Heir Apparent

You're right Elspeth, but what Skydragon meant was that as soon as the UK accepted European Human rights laws as supreme laws, this part about the exclusion of a group of people due to their birth was void. especially as the background of the statement is religiously motivated and thus is in conflict with the right to choose your religion.

I think it is absolutely clear that Charles could have gone to the European Courts with his case if he was not allowed to marry legally in a non-religious ceremony and that he would have won and be granted permission. But that would have really opened the said "can of worms" - what about prince Michael and the others who lost their place in the succession due to marrying Catholics? What about the Act of Settlement? What about the fact that the Headship of State in Britain is governed by inheritance, so excludes the majority of people?
If parliament and government really started to deal with these topics according to the European laws, it could lead to serious consequences noone knows about beforehand. And who wants that when all they wanted in the first place was to allow a man to marry the woman he chose?
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 11-11-2008, 06:05 AM
Nobility

I have absolutely no respect for Charles what so ever, and they never should have married. He has married a mistress and they are both cheap in every way possible. I don't even see them as royal even though they are. It doesn't mater that I don't know them at all, and that I don't know the whole story behind what has happened all these years between Charles and Diana, Charles and camilla and so on. I still don't respect them, and I'm happy that they are not next in line for the throne in the country I live.

I hope Charles will step down and let William be the next king when time comes.
Old 11-11-2008, 06:08 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Where did I read it? In the book cited. On the page cited. The book you knew the author of, which I did not mention---snipped---
The advertising for books is designed to sell the author enough to make you want to buy the book, as for Hoey, I did not question his works (although you seem to have chosen to view it as such), but how he could possibly know a persons thoughts on a question that he says was never asked.
Quote:
Lets get away from the misquoted 'was there a statement from the palace, if not it's an urban legend', that you seem to state so often. Is there actually anyones post, other than yours that says that? In your post, which I was questioning, you did not make clear where you were quoting from the book or your own beliefs and that, to me is important.

Publishers, as I am sure you know, only check whether they can be prosecuted under certain laws, with the responsibility laid at the feet of the author, otherwise you are suggesting that every single non fiction book is fact and that would be rather amusing.
Old 11-11-2008, 06:15 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurentienne View Post
---snipped---It doesn't mater that I don't know them at all, and that I don't know the whole story behind what has happened all these years between Charles and Diana, Charles and camilla and so on.

Good to know that you don't rely on little things like facts or knowing them!
Old 11-11-2008, 07:15 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurentienne View Post
I have absolutely no respect for Charles what so ever, and they never should have married. He has married a mistress and they are both cheap in every way possible. I don't even see them as royal even though they are. It doesn't mater that I don't know them at all, and that I don't know the whole story behind what has happened all these years between Charles and Diana, Charles and camilla and so on. I still don't respect them, and I'm happy that they are not next in line for the throne in the country I live.

I am the exact opposite.

I respect Charles and Camilla for the loyalty and love they have shown each other in very trying times. I respect them for the way they have conducted themselves as a royal couple. I absolutely love the way Camilla has behaved as the wife of the heir to the throne - so right in every way - supportive of her husband and never trying to upstage him.

I am just so glad that he is the heir to the throne where I live.

As for his son - I will become a republican the day he becomes King.
Old 11-11-2008, 08:13 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:

That's i call a tempered comment... Thanks a lot for this lesson of forgiving and understanding

I see you're from Norway....Fortunately your own Crown Princess has a perfect and spotless background

Tags
camilla, duchess of cornwall, marriage, prince charles, prince of wales