The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-24-2007, 04:28 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Morphine View Post
I wasn't aware their marriage was questionable. Being an American, I'm not familiar with the way marriage and re-marriage in the royal family is dealt with. That being said, I do agree with you. They're married, I haven't heard anything about there being issues with it, so it is how it is.
Napoleon and Josephine come to mind. When the pope arrived to crown them, he said that they are not married in the eyes of the church because they had only a registry wedding. Thus, a priest performed a secret church wedding and that was that. Guess Charles and Camilla will find a priest in case they need one.

'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 11-03-2007, 03:13 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by VuMom View Post
I don't know if this belongs or if it's allowed, remove if it's not. Do you guys think if there was no Diana in Charles life (Or for that matter, someone like her. I.e. pushed into his life), would he have married Camilla earlier?
Prince Charles couldn't marry Camilla, because Camilla was sleeping around and was not a virgin. She lost her virginity at an early age. If there was no Diana, there would have been someone else. He wasn't short of women falling at his feet, and him having his way with them. Afterall, he is a Scorpio!!!

Old 11-03-2007, 05:01 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genia View Post
Afterall, he is a Scorpio!!!
And you are a reader of bad tabloid strories, i guess!
Old 11-03-2007, 01:36 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Prince Charles couldn't marry Camilla, because Camilla was sleeping around and was not a virgin. She lost her virginity at an early age.
I´m sorry but, who told you that. "Sleeping around" can be seen as an embarrassement. Only a few people know for sure about her sexual life. One should be careful about it.
Old 11-03-2007, 05:48 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Prince Charles couldn't marry Camilla, because Camilla was sleeping around and was not a virgin. She lost her virginity at an early age. If there was no Diana, there would have been someone else. He wasn't short of women falling at his feet, and him having his way with them. Afterall, he is a Scorpio!!!
"Sleeping around" is a very strong word, you know. The only 2 men we are sure Camilla had relationships with, are her husbands.
She must have chosen her partners well, if they are so loyal to her after all these years, I'm sure some of the tabloids would pay quite a nice price for a laundry story about the Duchess.

By the way, I'm a Scorpio too, so that particular comment about the Prince of Wales didn't go too well with me.
Queen Elizabeth: "I cannot lead you into battle, I do not give you laws or administer justice but I can do something else, I can give you my heart and my devotion to these old islands and to all the peoples of our brotherhood of nations." God, Save The Queen!
Old 11-03-2007, 06:37 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Excuse me I'am a scorpio.
Old 11-03-2007, 06:51 PM
Imperial Majesty

Lucky old you...
Old 11-03-2007, 06:56 PM
Heir Presumptive

Let's not forget the time was 1972 in the which probobly still qualifies as the swinging 60's. Let's not say sleeping around, but perhaps sexually experienced. I am quoting here from 'The Windsor Knot' by Chistopher Wilson " So very different from the fledgling Camilla Shand, whose charm for the opposite sex was a rumbustious earthiness, rather than a goddess's aloofness. She was not related to the dukes of England, nor to any foreign royal houses - two areas where Charles might expect to find a future bride. She was not the possessor of a personal fortune. In addition she was known to have enjoyed a lively love affair with an army officer called Andrew Parker-Bowles, at 32 eight years her senior, which those that knew the couple predicted that it would end in marriage.' Also, there was very little time between the infamous ' My great grand mother and your great great grand mother were lovers so how about it? 'and her actually taking him back to her flat for 'desert'. I think that alone would have struck her from the list of possible princess brides. Well, we cant go back in time and luckily for C and C they were able to marry eventually.
Old 11-03-2007, 07:01 PM
Heir Presumptive

Well she is his second wife now, so those restrictions preventing her from marrying Charles seems so ancient now.

Quote:
Lucky old you...
Old 11-03-2007, 07:08 PM
Commoner

The marriage

I once saw a biography of her in which one of her former schoolmates said that although she wasn't very pretty she was able to get any boy she wanted. She had a lot of appeal even then. I happen to admire the way she has comported herself through everything. She has behaved with discretion and dignity and for the first time in my recollection Prince Charles looks happy, relaxed and at peace.
Old 11-04-2007, 03:44 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilibet80 View Post
I once saw a biography of her in which one of her former schoolmates said that although she wasn't very pretty she was able to get any boy she wanted. She had a lot of appeal even then. I happen to admire the way she has comported herself through everything. She has behaved with discretion and dignity and for the first time in my recollection Prince Charles looks happy, relaxed and at peace.
If these allegations of "sleeping around" are true, she certainly knew how to behave with the utmost discretion. If she hadn't I think those of the "burn her at the stake" mindset would have printed every gory little detail in foot high headlines to underline her "shame"! Funny, I must have missed those papers and TV stories. As for the endless kiss and tell ex partners, hmmm wonder where the bodies are buried?
Old 11-04-2007, 12:39 PM
Aristocracy

Christopher Wilson isn't necessarily to be believed. I once caught him out telling a bare-faced lie in an article in the Daily Mail. He claimed that Prince Charles and Camilla had had secret meetings and sexual relationships at Camilla's grandmother's house close to a naval base in Petersfield where Charles was based, after Camilla was married & given birth to her son Tom in December 1975. But Prince Charles was only ever based at Petersfield once in his entire naval career, in the Spring-Summer of 1972. In fact it was probably when they first met. When I wrote to the editor of the Daily Mail to point this out I got a very shirty letter back from Christopher Wilson and have ever since distrusted anything he claims about the couple. IMO the only person who can be trusted is Jonathan Dimbleby because he's the only one to have seen much of the Prince's correspondence and diaries.
Old 11-04-2007, 01:49 PM
Majesty

Only Duchess of Cornwall knows for sure how many men she had. She was clever enough to keep her relationships discreet, which has proven expedient in the long-term.
Old 11-04-2007, 04:01 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_bina View Post
She was clever enough to keep her relationships discreet,
If in fact she had any! As I haven't seen a rush to tell all to any media, I rather think that all her relationships are in other people's minds!
Old 11-04-2007, 06:12 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_bina View Post
She was clever enough to keep her relationships discreet, which has proven expedient in the long-term.
How does one do that, I wonder? What has "cleverness" to do with it? Okay, you could be "clever" in finding discreet partners, but you never know...

I guess we're here in on one of the "errors about a generation not ours" - for Dowager-types like Lady Fermoy or Queen Mum a young woman who actually engaged in banter and a bit of innuendo like "my and your ancestor - how about us?" could well be considered to be on the "loose" or even "fast" side while she was only "racy". But marriage material due to the dignity and earnestness she applied when it came to the serious decisions of her life...
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 11-04-2007, 06:27 PM

I think it'd also be too Barbara Cartland to assume that those white brides who married Princes were actually entitled to don the garb. From what I know of country house weekends, a girl doesn't keep her virtue for very long. Nor does a man for that matter. English stately homes have housed the most outrageous depravity for centuries so I'd assume most people brought up in that atmosphere would have had many 'discreet relationships'.
Old 11-04-2007, 08:57 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan View Post
I think it'd also be too Barbara Cartland to assume that those white brides who married Princes were actually entitled to don the garb. From what I know of country house weekends, a girl doesn't keep her virtue for very long. Nor does a man for that matter. English stately homes have housed the most outrageous depravity for centuries so I'd assume most people brought up in that atmosphere would have had many 'discreet relationships'.
As usually, your post is very insightful. I dare to presume that the above applies to a fair number of stately houses throughout the world.
Old 11-04-2007, 09:50 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
If in fact she had any! As I haven't seen a rush to tell all to any media, I rather think that all her relationships are in other people's minds!
Or that she's a very good judge of character and knows how to pick discreet friends. She does seem to have the ability to inspire loyalty.
Old 11-05-2007, 01:59 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
Or that she's a very good judge of character and knows how to pick discreet friends. She does seem to have the ability to inspire loyalty.
In either case it is certainly to her credit as she is now a member of the Royal Family. Very sad that others before her did not have the same strength of character or high enough IQ to choose companions that would not kiss and tell. I would suppose water seeks it's own level thought.
Old 11-05-2007, 07:11 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
Wow, any notion that "morality" as an "old fashioned" ideal is shot to pieces by Wallace Simpson (twice and divorced and ?X an adulterer) who was never ever going to be suitable to be married to the Prince of Wales, and Camilla who for much less reason, has been vilified to the extreme. And this in the noughties (2000's)?

Wallace was never discreet or apologetic, and yet some expect the Duchess of Cornwall to grovel and accept crumbs and endless humiliation for no real reason other than some moralists have declared that that is all she deserves. (And they haven't even got a twisted riding teacher or the Butler's published memoirs to support their assertions). Nuts! Go figure!

The Duchess of Cornwall seems only to engender warmth and admiration in the lives of those she touches. Not a Rat in the bunch to date!

Tags
camilla, duchess of cornwall, marriage, prince charles, prince of wales