Charles & Camilla: How has your opinion changed since the wedding?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ysbel

Heir Apparent , TRF Author
City
New York
Country
United States
Thanks princejohnny for starting the original thread.

For this go around, we're taking a slightly different approach which is more inline with the original question that princejohnny asked of members.

It has been a little over a year since the Charles and Camilla got married. During that time, we've been able to actually see Charles and Camilla together rather than just hearing about them. What is your opinion now on them, mainly Camilla, now that you've got to see them together?

Basing on what you have seen on Camilla why do you like her and why do you dislike her. Has Charles become more appealing or not?

Let's keep the discussion to our opinions based on what we've seen of Charles and Camilla since the marriage.

If we havent heard about Camilla in the past, with all the info related to her relationship with PC during his marriage. I think most of all would be able to agree that Camilla looks the perfect wife for PC, she does very well her part as consort, she is there for him and not for creating her own world. He is trying his best to clean his image and probably they are doing the best they can. I just dont know if they will succeed in having the approval of the british people.

I liked them both as a couple before the marriage and still have the same opinion. No-one knew what reactions would be like after the marriage but i am pleased at how well they both are settling into married life. Certainly Camilla is playing her role as the supportive wife and step-mother perfectly and there is no doubt that Charles is far happier now that they are married, it was especially noticable how at ease he is during interviews now than how uncomfortable he was during the Diana years. Another thing that i am pleased about is how the press for the most part are leaving both Charles and Camilla alone, Camilla has none of the mania with the newspapers that Diana had which is completely refreshing for both us and them.

On their wedding day I fell in love with them. Before I liked them but, was not very interested in them. But the deeply and obviosusly love they share just overwhelmed me. The whole wedding day I stared on my tv...:) And then I was fascinated who easy is Camilla with her new role, for me she does everything perfect. And this after longlife "unemployment". What happened with Charles right away after his wedding I couldn´t believe. He was a new man: just happy, beaming, proudly watch "his darling wife"...I enjoy to watch them. I am "following" most of their events and I´m astonished how much they work. And it´s useful work, never thought before. And of course I´m a great fan of their romance...;)

I didn't like Camilla particularly before the marriage and I do dislike her her past actions.

However, I do think that since the marriage there is little you can fault her on. She's done an excellent job so far and more importantly hasn't made a single faux pas.
Moreover, she hasn't sought the limeilight for herself (like other CP's) but has done an excellent job of supporting her husband, which imo, is her primary duty.

Based on Camilla's appearances since her marriage I think there is little to criticise.

hornsen said:
On their wedding day I fell in love with them. Before I liked them but, was not very interested in them. But the deeply and obviosusly love they share just overwhelmed me. The whole wedding day I stared on my tv...:) And then I was fascinated who easy is Camilla with her new role, for me she does everything perfect. And this after longlife "unemployment". What happened with Charles right away after his wedding I couldn´t believe. He was a new man: just happy, beaming, proudly watch "his darling wife"...I enjoy to watch them. I am "following" most of their events and I´m astonished how much they work. And it´s useful work, never thought before. And of course I´m a great fan of their romance...;)

That is precisely what I wanted to write, but since you have already done that, I won't repeat, I will just quote you.
On the day of the wedding, when I still found it hard to belive what was happenning, I saw them, so happy with each other, and I was happy too.
Since the marriage, they have done excellent job. Camilla is a perfect Princess of Wales, she has been reallt great all this time.
Charles has changed, and I can't be happier for that change. He is happy and smiles and jokes, and continue to do his great job.

My opinion hasn't changed since the wedding - I liked them before the wedding (but then I never thought that Charles should have married Diana as they just didn't seem to be right to me).

I like the fact that the Charles we see today is the one I remember from my teenage years - a happy, smiling man who connects with people. I blame/thank Camilla for giving us back that side of Charles that I remember and I wish them all the best for the future. They will make a great king and queen and I hope that they will reign over Australia when the time comes (republicans keep out!!!)

I am exiciting to hear the news of their engagment and became more and more looking forward to their wedding. On the wedding day I am so enjoyable to see delighted and smilling Prince Charles and Camilla. I feel happy for them. Prince Charles needs a wife like Camilla who can devote herself to support him and encourage him and have no interests in seeking limelight. I am happy that the press seems to understand how to be netural about them after their wedding. Love live Charles and Camilla and wish you every happiness.

I think of all the royals this is the one true love story of them all! I wish Charles and Camilla all the happiness in the world. They certainly waited long enough to enjoy it.

I've just deleted a bunch of posts that have derailed yet another thread into a rehash of the Charles-Camilla-Diana debacle and whose fault it was etc etc etc ad nauseam. Those of you who've been around for a while will know that this sort of thing only leads to increasingly acrimonious arguments, with nothing new being said and people talking past each other as they become entrenched in defending their champion from all real and imagined allegations.

Please review the first post of this thread, where ysbel stated very clearly what the thread was for and what it wasn't for. Further posts attempting to start up the discussion about who caused the breakup of Charles's first marriage will be deleted.

Elspeth

British Royals moderator

Last edited:
Sorry Elspeth, guilty as charged!

I always liked Camilla. We have all now had a chance to see that she is a down to earth and fun person who has a real ability to make you laugh and feel comfortable. From all the photo's at the various photo agencies, we can see she clearly gets on well with Charles' family and the Duke of Edinburgh, Princess Anne and Camilla can be seen sharing a joke on many occasions.
The whole family seems to be getting along since the wedding and for that, I think we can thank Camilla.
How has my opinion changed since the wedding - I never doubted that Camilla and Charles would make a formidible team but, even I hadn't realised just what a natural royal Camilla is.

I like the couple before their marriage and now. A lot has happent but they seem verry happy together and the boys of charles are doing verry wel....

Let them be happy now...

My views regarding Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall have not changed much. The past exerts a significant influence on my opinion about this royal couple. They look happy and satisfied. Their every step looks like a PR campaign: calculated and well-staged.
At the same time, I do understand that Prince of Wales needs a wife. His sons have accepted their father's decision. So let them be happy.

I too thought that Charles and Camilla were great together. Even so, I drastically underestimated what an amazing effect Camilla would have on the entire RF. It'is almost like she has given Charles permission to be himself and to be happy! :)

The effect this has had on Charles and his immediate family is remarkable. Charles is showing his people the man we all thought he could become when he was young and idealistic. He is relaxed, self-assured and no longer seems to over-think every little comment that he makes. I think she gives him confidence to know that after all this time he is unlikely to make any drastic gaffs. That being so, enjoy. ;)

I thought that Charles and Camilla would be a lot happier, personally, after they were married, but Camilla's calm self assurance seems to encourage everyone around her to be themselves, be a more laid back, relax and share a little more of themselves with us. :cool:

We all got more than we bargained for, and it's exciting to see and to know that maybe Charles and the RF are not quite as predictable as we imagined they were. That being so, it means we have a lot to look forward to, and, that we have Camilla to thank for that! :D :D

(Is it my imagination, or does Her Majesty look a little more relaxed and happy with life in general?) :) ;) :cool: :D

I think memebers from Shand Family are able to bring happiness to themselves and to those who are around them. I think Major Shand and his wife brought up their children with happiness,security,confidence and warmth.They are great parents to have three wonderful children. I am happy that Charles and Camilla got married and Camilla brings happiness and contentment to Prince Charles. Once Charles is happy, and everyone will be happier and more relaxed.

MARG said:
I too thought that Charles and Camilla were great together...
Signing after that!
As for Her Majesty, looking more relaxed and happy with life, I agree with that too. I am not sure iit's beause of Camilla, maybe the birthday celebrations, the clear message how much her subjects love her, etc. had their effect too. But I think Her majesty was largely preoccupied how will Camilla be received by the public, and seeing how well she fulfills her duty and how her popularity goes up day by day, she is more relaxed now and knowes that Monarchy is in the safe hands. Besides, as a mother, I am sure, she is happy for Charles, because I don't remember ever seing Charles as happy and relaxed as he was during this past year.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with Marg and Avalon. Camilla has provided the important link between Elizabeth II and Charles III and it's quite amazing to see. Camilla's style isn't stiff and formal like that of the Queen and it isn't outrageous and overplayed with a lack of formality either, it's just the right balance and I think that's important. The day after the wedding, a headline was "The Saviour of the Monarchy" with reference to Camilla. I think that just might be right.

They are obviously very happy together and I wish them the very best. She was the missing link in his life from all these years now we understand what he was pining for. I am not happy with the way it was achieved and it has somewhat dampened my former staunch loyalty to British Royalty but what can I say? The past is the past.

Last edited:
As a Brit living over 45 years in USA I have always followed the Royal Family, I never really thought that much about Camillia. Since their marriage I am won over. I think she is doing a superb job, looks wonderful and certainly made Charles happy also the boys appear to have adjusted very well. I say well done. If he wants her to be Queen great I do not see why not.

My opinion of the Duchess has expanded. I can appreciate the job she is doing now and can not fault her on the way she represents the commonwealth. I think the marriage was good for both of them and past opinions aside they are a wonderful royal team.

That's all

I've never been a big fan of the couple (or Charles in general). I agree they did do there dirty laundry in the past, and I think will probably always be haunted by it.
As far as a couple they are alright. As far as future King and Queen? it's w/e I'm not from the UK so it's not like they are representing my country.
The wedding between these two did shock me a bit, usually the *** doesn't become the housewife..or in this case the mistress doesn't become the wife. :eek:
Charles and Camilla see happy, and I wish no ill will towards the couple :)

What was that awful old mantra the new-age self-improvement gurus used to spout?

"Every day, in every way, I'm getting better and better!"

That just about sums it up. Only, in this case it's not awful ..... its Great!!!!!

From news reports and especially photos, that is what we are seeing. Just when we think we've seen it all, it gets even better! :) :)

Oh bliss! Let's just keep that honeymoon going on forever. :D :p :D

(And consign the "yellow press" to the gutter where they belong)

JOY! said:
As far as future King and Queen? it's w/e I'm not from the UK so it's not like they are representing my country.
The wedding between these two did shock me a bit, usually the *** doesn't become the housewife.

I can only imagine the word you *** out is an insult, otherwise it wouldn't have been needed. :rolleyes: Whatever makes you feel happy.

They do represent my country and they do it beautifully.

Last edited:
JOY! said:
I've never been a big fan of the couple (or Charles in general). I agree they did do there dirty laundry in the past, and I think will probably always be haunted by it.
As far as a couple they are alright. As far as future King and Queen? it's w/e I'm not from the UK so it's not like they are representing my country.
The wedding between these two did shock me a bit, usually the *** doesn't become the housewife..or in this case the mistress doesn't become the wife. :eek:
Charles and Camilla see happy, and I wish no ill will towards the couple :)
Long live Her Majesty Queen Elisabeth II. May she reign for many years to come:)

Not sure if this is the appropriate place to address this...but here goes. I agree that Camilla is doing a good job in her new "public" role. But I wonder if Diana was still alive would all of the good feelings, happy family, etc., be noticed or even exist? With Beatrice's 18th b-day celebrations, I find myself considering William and Harry's graduations from military training, marriages, other significant events and if Diana's presence/absence would be a factor. Could Charles, Camilla, and Diana put all other things aside and, for the sake of the princes, each be a presence in their lives while maintaining at least a civil existence with one another? Any thoughts-especially from British forum members?

Mapper

Hereditary Mapmaker said:
Not sure if this is the appropriate place to address this...but here goes. I agree that Camilla is doing a good job in her new "public" role. But I wonder if Diana was still alive would all of the good feelings, happy family, etc., be noticed or even exist? With Beatrice's 18th b-day celebrations, I find myself considering William and Harry's graduations from military training, marriages, other significant events and if Diana's presence/absence would be a factor. Could Charles, Camilla, and Diana put all other things aside and, for the sake of the princes, each be a presence in their lives while maintaining at least a civil existence with one another? Any thoughts-especially from British forum members?

Mapper

I can't answer for the whole of the UK but, if Diana was still alive, Charles and Camilla would have been married sooner and there would have been less for the Diana fans to go on about, IMO. She too would have aged and with the loss of youth, (her mother was considered pretty and look how badly she aged), the fans would have gone on to something else. I don't believe that Diana would ever have tolerated the affection William and Harry show for Camilla and she would have been fuming at her exclusion from 'official' events.

naida said:
Long live Her Majesty Queen Elisabeth II. May she reign for many years to come:)

How has your opinion changed, you forgot to say. :confused:

Before their engagement they did not interest me much, I was very, very suprised by the engagement, in a good way because I never thought they would marry. Since then I like Camilla very much, she carries herself in a warm and friendly way, I was especially impressed with her on their trip to Egypt and Saud Arabia. She usually dresses for her position without beeing flashy or "look at MEEEEE"and most importantly she obiously makes Charles very happy and relaxed.

If there were something I would like to see her take a little more initativ in her solo duties, ofcourse it is a fine balance as her main task seems to be to act in support of the Prince of Wales but I think as the futere Queen its also important for her to establish a more independant role. I would also be happy if they would do an interview together so we could know a little more about her directly, which does not come out in the press trough "friends" "sources" and "enemies"

Initally, while Charles and Diana were together I saw Camilla as a nuisance. I always wondered how the royal couple would have lived life without her interference (Charles obviously loved her more or he wouldn't have carried on with her for so long - and she did nothing to discourage it even whilst he was married, thus it was interference).

That being said and things being how they are, I am pleasantly pleased with her performance and happy they are *finally* together sans the intrigue and scandal. They are obviously genuinely in love or they would never have lasted as long ... cheers!

Skydragon said:
How has your opinion changed, you forgot to say. :confused:
Changed:confused: Where:confused: I still don't like Camilla and idea of her as my queen:mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom