The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-13-2006, 08:19 AM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Charles & Camilla: How has your opinion changed since the wedding?

Thanks princejohnny for starting the original thread.

For this go around, we're taking a slightly different approach which is more inline with the original question that princejohnny asked of members.

It has been a little over a year since the Charles and Camilla got married. During that time, we've been able to actually see Charles and Camilla together rather than just hearing about them. What is your opinion now on them, mainly Camilla, now that you've got to see them together?

Basing on what you have seen on Camilla why do you like her and why do you dislike her. Has Charles become more appealing or not?

Let's keep the discussion to our opinions based on what we've seen of Charles and Camilla since the marriage.

"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 06-13-2006, 08:30 AM
Courtier

If we havent heard about Camilla in the past, with all the info related to her relationship with PC during his marriage. I think most of all would be able to agree that Camilla looks the perfect wife for PC, she does very well her part as consort, she is there for him and not for creating her own world. He is trying his best to clean his image and probably they are doing the best they can. I just dont know if they will succeed in having the approval of the british people.

Old 06-13-2006, 01:53 PM
Aristocracy

I liked them both as a couple before the marriage and still have the same opinion. No-one knew what reactions would be like after the marriage but i am pleased at how well they both are settling into married life. Certainly Camilla is playing her role as the supportive wife and step-mother perfectly and there is no doubt that Charles is far happier now that they are married, it was especially noticable how at ease he is during interviews now than how uncomfortable he was during the Diana years. Another thing that i am pleased about is how the press for the most part are leaving both Charles and Camilla alone, Camilla has none of the mania with the newspapers that Diana had which is completely refreshing for both us and them.
Old 06-13-2006, 02:25 PM
Courtier

On their wedding day I fell in love with them. Before I liked them but, was not very interested in them. But the deeply and obviosusly love they share just overwhelmed me. The whole wedding day I stared on my tv...:) And then I was fascinated who easy is Camilla with her new role, for me she does everything perfect. And this after longlife "unemployment". What happened with Charles right away after his wedding I couldnt believe. He was a new man: just happy, beaming, proudly watch "his darling wife"...I enjoy to watch them. I am "following" most of their events and Im astonished how much they work. And its useful work, never thought before. And of course Im a great fan of their romance...
Old 06-13-2006, 03:04 PM
Heir Apparent

I didn't like Camilla particularly before the marriage and I do dislike her her past actions.

However, I do think that since the marriage there is little you can fault her on. She's done an excellent job so far and more importantly hasn't made a single faux pas.
Moreover, she hasn't sought the limeilight for herself (like other CP's) but has done an excellent job of supporting her husband, which imo, is her primary duty.

Based on Camilla's appearances since her marriage I think there is little to criticise.
Old 06-13-2006, 03:35 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornsen
On their wedding day I fell in love with them. Before I liked them but, was not very interested in them. But the deeply and obviosusly love they share just overwhelmed me. The whole wedding day I stared on my tv...:) And then I was fascinated who easy is Camilla with her new role, for me she does everything perfect. And this after longlife "unemployment". What happened with Charles right away after his wedding I couldnt believe. He was a new man: just happy, beaming, proudly watch "his darling wife"...I enjoy to watch them. I am "following" most of their events and Im astonished how much they work. And its useful work, never thought before. And of course Im a great fan of their romance...
That is precisely what I wanted to write, but since you have already done that, I won't repeat, I will just quote you.
On the day of the wedding, when I still found it hard to belive what was happenning, I saw them, so happy with each other, and I was happy too.
Since the marriage, they have done excellent job. Camilla is a perfect Princess of Wales, she has been reallt great all this time.
Charles has changed, and I can't be happier for that change. He is happy and smiles and jokes, and continue to do his great job.
Queen Elizabeth: "I cannot lead you into battle, I do not give you laws or administer justice but I can do something else, I can give you my heart and my devotion to these old islands and to all the peoples of our brotherhood of nations." God, Save The Queen!
Old 06-13-2006, 05:24 PM
Majesty

My opinion hasn't changed since the wedding - I liked them before the wedding (but then I never thought that Charles should have married Diana as they just didn't seem to be right to me).

I like the fact that the Charles we see today is the one I remember from my teenage years - a happy, smiling man who connects with people. I blame/thank Camilla for giving us back that side of Charles that I remember and I wish them all the best for the future. They will make a great king and queen and I hope that they will reign over Australia when the time comes (republicans keep out!!!)
Old 06-14-2006, 01:48 AM
Courtier

I am exiciting to hear the news of their engagment and became more and more looking forward to their wedding. On the wedding day I am so enjoyable to see delighted and smilling Prince Charles and Camilla. I feel happy for them. Prince Charles needs a wife like Camilla who can devote herself to support him and encourage him and have no interests in seeking limelight. I am happy that the press seems to understand how to be netural about them after their wedding. Love live Charles and Camilla and wish you every happiness.
Old 06-16-2006, 11:52 AM
Nobility

I think of all the royals this is the one true love story of them all! I wish Charles and Camilla all the happiness in the world. They certainly waited long enough to enjoy it.
Old 07-04-2006, 11:32 AM
Imperial Majesty

I've just deleted a bunch of posts that have derailed yet another thread into a rehash of the Charles-Camilla-Diana debacle and whose fault it was etc etc etc ad nauseam. Those of you who've been around for a while will know that this sort of thing only leads to increasingly acrimonious arguments, with nothing new being said and people talking past each other as they become entrenched in defending their champion from all real and imagined allegations.

Please review the first post of this thread, where ysbel stated very clearly what the thread was for and what it wasn't for. Further posts attempting to start up the discussion about who caused the breakup of Charles's first marriage will be deleted.

Elspeth

British Royals moderator
Old 07-04-2006, 12:36 PM
Imperial Majesty

Sorry Elspeth, guilty as charged!

I always liked Camilla. We have all now had a chance to see that she is a down to earth and fun person who has a real ability to make you laugh and feel comfortable. From all the photo's at the various photo agencies, we can see she clearly gets on well with Charles' family and the Duke of Edinburgh, Princess Anne and Camilla can be seen sharing a joke on many occasions.
The whole family seems to be getting along since the wedding and for that, I think we can thank Camilla.
How has my opinion changed since the wedding - I never doubted that Camilla and Charles would make a formidible team but, even I hadn't realised just what a natural royal Camilla is.
Old 07-04-2006, 04:25 PM
Commoner

I like the couple before their marriage and now. A lot has happent but they seem verry happy together and the boys of charles are doing verry wel....
Old 07-06-2006, 12:05 AM
Heir Apparent

Let them be happy now...

My views regarding Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall have not changed much. The past exerts a significant influence on my opinion about this royal couple. They look happy and satisfied. Their every step looks like a PR campaign: calculated and well-staged.
At the same time, I do understand that Prince of Wales needs a wife. His sons have accepted their father's decision. So let them be happy.
Old 07-06-2006, 01:32 AM
Heir Apparent

I too thought that Charles and Camilla were great together. Even so, I drastically underestimated what an amazing effect Camilla would have on the entire RF. It'is almost like she has given Charles permission to be himself and to be happy! :)

The effect this has had on Charles and his immediate family is remarkable. Charles is showing his people the man we all thought he could become when he was young and idealistic. He is relaxed, self-assured and no longer seems to over-think every little comment that he makes. I think she gives him confidence to know that after all this time he is unlikely to make any drastic gaffs. That being so, enjoy.

I thought that Charles and Camilla would be a lot happier, personally, after they were married, but Camilla's calm self assurance seems to encourage everyone around her to be themselves, be a more laid back, relax and share a little more of themselves with us.

We all got more than we bargained for, and it's exciting to see and to know that maybe Charles and the RF are not quite as predictable as we imagined they were. That being so, it means we have a lot to look forward to, and, that we have Camilla to thank for that!

(Is it my imagination, or does Her Majesty look a little more relaxed and happy with life in general?) :)
Old 07-06-2006, 02:18 AM
Courtier

I think memebers from Shand Family are able to bring happiness to themselves and to those who are around them. I think Major Shand and his wife brought up their children with happiness,security,confidence and warmth.They are great parents to have three wonderful children. I am happy that Charles and Camilla got married and Camilla brings happiness and contentment to Prince Charles. Once Charles is happy, and everyone will be happier and more relaxed.
Old 07-06-2006, 08:40 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG
I too thought that Charles and Camilla were great together...
Signing after that!
As for Her Majesty, looking more relaxed and happy with life, I agree with that too. I am not sure iit's beause of Camilla, maybe the birthday celebrations, the clear message how much her subjects love her, etc. had their effect too. But I think Her majesty was largely preoccupied how will Camilla be received by the public, and seeing how well she fulfills her duty and how her popularity goes up day by day, she is more relaxed now and knowes that Monarchy is in the safe hands. Besides, as a mother, I am sure, she is happy for Charles, because I don't remember ever seing Charles as happy and relaxed as he was during this past year.
Queen Elizabeth: "I cannot lead you into battle, I do not give you laws or administer justice but I can do something else, I can give you my heart and my devotion to these old islands and to all the peoples of our brotherhood of nations." God, Save The Queen!
Old 07-06-2006, 11:21 AM

I agree with Marg and Avalon. Camilla has provided the important link between Elizabeth II and Charles III and it's quite amazing to see. Camilla's style isn't stiff and formal like that of the Queen and it isn't outrageous and overplayed with a lack of formality either, it's just the right balance and I think that's important. The day after the wedding, a headline was "The Saviour of the Monarchy" with reference to Camilla. I think that just might be right.
Old 07-06-2006, 11:14 PM
Nobility

They are obviously very happy together and I wish them the very best. She was the missing link in his life from all these years now we understand what he was pining for. I am not happy with the way it was achieved and it has somewhat dampened my former staunch loyalty to British Royalty but what can I say? The past is the past.
Old 07-07-2006, 03:55 PM

As a Brit living over 45 years in USA I have always followed the Royal Family, I never really thought that much about Camillia. Since their marriage I am won over. I think she is doing a superb job, looks wonderful and certainly made Charles happy also the boys appear to have adjusted very well. I say well done. If he wants her to be Queen great I do not see why not.
Old 07-08-2006, 09:43 AM
Gentry

My opinion of the Duchess has expanded. I can appreciate the job she is doing now and can not fault her on the way she represents the commonwealth. I think the marriage was good for both of them and past opinions aside they are a wonderful royal team.

That's all

Tags
camilla, duchess of cornwall, prince charles, prince of wales, relationships, royal duties