Charles & Camilla: How has your opinion changed since the wedding?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It is well known that Camilla's friends don't "talk" to the media. Also, I find it hard to fathom, no, impossible to fathom, that it is hard to know if Camilla is wearing clean knickers! Honestly, does that sound like something someone would even say? I would need a source to believe this--and one that doesn't come via the Daily Mail or other entertainment rag.
Regarding Camilla's style--I think she always looks elegant and classic--like a well tailored suit and a string of pearls. Honestly, I don't think she makes bad fashion choices. Her wedding outfits were absloutely gorgeous! I LOVED that feather headpiece, and in fact, I pretty much have liked all of her hats--they suit her. Her outfits looks wonderful on her-- I really like her in plaid--and she has some attractive shoes. I detest trendy looks (look at Bea and my point is proven)

In my opinion, Camilla dresses as an older member of the British Royal Family should dress--and her outfits as this past Ascot were GORGEOUS. I was literally drooling over those suits.I don't get the comparison to the unmade bed. In fact, I want to see some links or photos of her looking like an unmade bed--we all have our off days--but I doubt we'd see her looking horrendous at an engagement. If she's out in the country and her hair is windblown, well, that tells me she was enjoying herself.

Dear jcbcode99,
Well... you are quite eloquent defending Duchess of Cornwall. I happen to think that you will look gorgeous too, if you have an access to the best material things available (clothes, hairdressers, beauticians, etc.).
:)

Al Bina, you are right--we don't have access to what the Duchess of Cornwall has--I wish I did (not the beauticians or the hairdresser--the JEWELS baby, the JEWELS are what I would want!!!) and it brings to mind another point--these extra things the DoC has (clothes, hairdressers, beauticians, etc...) work with what they have to work with--and the Duchess is certainly not a hopeless case at all! She is a lovely woman, whether her hair was done by her private hairdresser or herself on her way out the door. But, I would like to have some help- my hair always looks better after the stylist fixes it for me. I'm lazy--wash and go!

Dear jcbcode99,
Well... you are quite eloquent defending Duchess of Cornwall. I happen to think that you will look gorgeous too, if you have an access to the best material things available (clothes, hairdressers, beauticians, etc.). :)

Every Royal has the possibilitiy to get the´best material things´ , and does every Royal woman look as generous as Camilla does?:rolleyes:
Btw, i think for a Lady who has turned 60 last year, Camilla looks extremely good and beautiful!
And much more important than every elegant dress is her charisma, she has the certain something and that makes her very special! (to me:wub:)

The "scheming" I meant was how her and Prince Charles used to conspire together to find places to conduct their affairs such as the homes of friends.

I doubt she would consider that scheming, just organizing things so they could stay private. In a world where any step might be a potential bonanza for gold-digging paparazzi, you have to organize your privacy. What Charles and Camilla did once they were in private is not our business, IMHO.

The way I see the past is that I believe Charles in his TV-interview, that He only accepted Camilla's support and her love after he had realised that there was no way his marriage with Diana could work. Just look at those guys like Donald Trump or other men with money, power and the means to pay for several wifes - these are the types of men who make their wifes into their victims. But Charles? Quiet, shy Charles who does all he can to help others? Come on, a man who is so willing to help others in need is simply not the guy who cold-blooded marries the virgin aristocrat while lounging in his mistress' warm bed...

I do like her and I think it is her eyes that won me over. There is always a kindness that shines, you can see her happiness in her eyes.

Her and Prince Charles are better suited to each other because they like country living. I think it's important to recognize both angles that they are happy in love and made it to the altar only after much scheming that deeply hurt many people in the process.

Well if you're talking about Diana, I always got the impression that Diana relished playing the role of the innocent victim and loved showing that side of herself to the public. I think its entirely possible that Camilla by being the evil other woman gave Diana the chance to play the greatest role of her career and thereby helped Diana form her legendary status as the most innocent, young, wronged, jilted young girl of the 20th century.

I really think Diana loved her status as the innocent hurt party and would have been upset if this label had been taken away from her.

Now the children definitely did suffer however, Charles and Camilla took pains to hide their relationship from their children so if the children were hurt, they must have been hurt from witnessing Diana's reaction to the affair rather than what they saw from Charles.

Well if you're talking about Diana, I always got the impression that Diana relished playing the role of the innocent victim and loved showing that side of herself to the public. I think its entirely possible that Camilla by being the evil other woman gave Diana the chance to play the greatest role of her career and thereby helped Diana form her legendary status as the most innocent, young, wronged, jilted young girl of the 20th century.

I really think Diana loved her status as the innocent hurt party and would have been upset if this label had been taken away from her.

Now the children definitely did suffer however, Charles and Camilla took pains to hide their relationship from their children so if the children were hurt, they must have been hurt from witnessing Diana's reaction to the affair rather than what they saw from Charles.

Divorce and affairs take their toll on children and for Prince William and Prince Harry to have it played out in front of the world could not have been a picnic. If that was my dad on the line talking about wanting to live in his mistresses' knickers or my mum on Panorama dishing about the state of marriage I would have crawled into a hole and died from mortification before I went back to school.

Divorce and affairs take their toll on children and for Prince William and Prince Harry to have it played out in front of the world could not have been a picnic. If that was my dad on the line talking about wanting to live in his mistresses' knickers or my mum on Panorama dishing about the state of marriage I would have crawled into a hole and died from mortification before I went back to school.
Their humiliation started before the phone calls or interviews, it started with the Morton book.

I always liked and admired the pair of them. Charles for his public work, and Camilla for her dignity. I think that they have both suffered from unforgivable press intrusion and abuse, and deserve our support and respect. Long live Charles and Camilla I say. I would welcome her as our next Queen.

Their humiliation started before the phone calls or interviews, it started with the Morton book.

It's a good point, but actually I believe the emotional toll on PW and PH must have begun long before that. I mean, their parents had been fighting for years before the Morton book. The Morton book must have been just the straw that broke the camel's back. The fire had actually been melting away at their family life for many years, and the book just accelerated the explosion.

OOOOHHHH Ysbel, that was a very dead on assessement. You really gave an insight into the whole "innocent victim" role which Diana was noted for. Reading it made me say "yes, that is exactly right"
Also, I do think that while Diana was probably an excellent mother, she was a not a good wife and constantly arguing with Charles was not good for the boys--it never is--and they were probably very conflicted growing up. I'm glad to see that they have such a wonderful relationship with their father and I'm glad they still honor their mother's memory. They seem to be growing into fine men.

It's a good point, but actually I believe the emotional toll on PW and PH must have begun long before that. I mean, their parents had been fighting for years before the Morton book. The Morton book must have been just the straw that broke the camel's back. The fire had actually been melting away at their family life for many years, and the book just accelerated the explosion.
Yes, I agree that the emotional damage was being inflicted before the Morton book, :flowers: with the 'rumours' of marriage problems in the media and then the book, it must have made their lives hell, both at school and at home. William, Harry, Laura and Tom have done well to come through all the turmoil without visible damage.

At least with Charles and Camilla, they have all been given a chance of sanity and for that, if nothing else Camilla should gain 'brownie points'. :flowers:

Staying together when both are having an affair will never be a good thing and it will provoke inevitably rows and crisis in the couple and, unfortunately, Princes William and Harry were the first spectators of these horrible scenes.

Yes, I agree that the emotional damage was being inflicted before the Morton book, :flowers: with the 'rumours' of marriage problems in the media and then the book, it must have made their lives hell, both at school and at home. William, Harry, Laura and Tom have done well to come through all the turmoil without visible damage.

At least with Charles and Camilla, they have all been given a chance of sanity and for that, if nothing else Camilla should gain 'brownie points'. :flowers:

We really don't know what goes on underneath. That all of their lives were skewed because of the turmoil that ensued was terrible. It will mark them, probably, forever. The boys loved their mother very much, they love their father, very much. The Parker-Bowles children love their mother very much. The craziness that became their lives is because of those parents. ALL of them. No one better or worse. Not one of them madre any sacrifices, including Diana to stop the pain. In that respect, I have no respect for any of them. That things are quieter now, is because Charles got his way.

That things are quieter now, is because Charles got his way.
No, it is because two mature people were allowed to legalise their union, something they should have been allowed to do 30+ years ago, or at the very least when Charles' divorce came through. :flowers:

No, it is because two mature people were allowed to legalise their union, something they should have been allowed to do 30+ years ago, or at the very least when Charles' divorce came through. :flowers:

Frankly, he should have been allowed to marry her in the first place. He could have married her when his divorce came through, he just would have had to deal with the consequences. It is an unfortunate mess, that had a happy ending, at least for Charles and Camilla.

Frankly, he should have been allowed to marry her in the first place. He could have married her when his divorce came through, he just would have had to deal with the consequences. It is an unfortunate mess, that had a happy ending, at least for Charles and Camilla.

No, he couldn't have married her in 1996/7 becaue he would have needed the permission of the Queen, & she has made it quite clear all along that she didn't want a Charles/Camilla partnership. After all Diana was her candidate for reasons of finance and snobbery. Charles could only marry once the European Convention of Human Rights had been incorporated into British law as it prohibits any legislation that prevents adult citizens of the Uk from accessing various 'human rights' inclusing the right to marry and have a family life.

No, he couldn't have married her in 1996/7 becaue he would have needed the permission of the Queen, & she has made it quite clear all along that she didn't want a Charles/Camilla partnership. After all Diana was her candidate for reasons of finance and snobbery. Charles could only marry once the European Convention of Human Rights had been incorporated into British law as it prohibits any legislation that prevents adult citizens of the Uk from accessing various 'human rights' inclusing the right to marry and have a family life.

^ But wasn't Charles far past the age where he needed The Queen's permission to marry? It's very interesting about the human rights law.

BellaFay No said:
Charles could[/B] only marry once the European Convention of Human Rights had been incorporated into British law as it prohibits any legislation that prevents adult citizens of the Uk from accessing various 'human rights' inclusing (sic) the right to marry and have a family life.

Are you quite sure about this? I believe that members of the Royal Family still have to ask the permission of the Queen before marrying. Does it matter whether this is actually law or custom? Could the Queen have prevented a marriage by law prior to the European Convention of Human Rights?

Last edited:
Are you quite sure about this? I believe that members of the Royal Family still have to ask the permission of the Queen before marrying. Does it matter whether this is actually law or custom? Could the Queen have prevented a marriage by law prior to the European Convention of Human Rights?

The Royal Marriage Act of 1772, as amended in 1956 (at the Queen's request and contrary to the advice of her Lord Chancellor who recommended its abolition), states that if a member of the Royal Family is older than 25yrs the Queen has to consult the Houses of Parliament before refusing approval for a marriage. Up to that age the Queen appears to have the right to refuse approval without any political consultation. That the Queen takes this power seriously has just been revealed by the public release of documents from the National Archives about a meeting the Queen had with her Privy Council (senior govt ministers) in 1976 in which they discussed for 30-minutes whether or not the Queen should give her approval to the 2nd marriage of her cousin the Earl of Harewood, who was 18th in line to the throne. If she took so much trouble over a cousin who was 18th in line she would definitely have wielded the power over her eldest son who was 1st in line! Furthermore, the Act states that if you marry without the Queen's approval you lose your job (i.e. you're removed from the line of succession) and any children you have are declared bastards - i.e. illegitimate.

The Royal Marriage Act of 1772, as amended in 1956 (at the Queen's request and contrary to the advice of her Lord Chancellor who recommended its abolition), states that if a member of the Royal Family is older than 25yrs the Queen has to consult the Houses of Parliament before refusing approval for a marriage. Up to that age the Queen appears to have the right to refuse approval without any political consultation. That the Queen takes this power seriously has just been revealed by the public release of documents from the National Archives about a meeting the Queen had with her Privy Council (senior govt ministers) in 1976 in which they discussed for 30-minutes whether or not the Queen should give her approval to the 2nd marriage of her cousin the Earl of Harewood, who was 18th in line to the throne. If she took so much trouble over a cousin who was 18th in line she would definitely have wielded the power over her eldest son who was 1st in line! Furthermore, the Act states that if you marry without the Queen's approval you lose your job (i.e. you're removed from the line of succession) and any children you have are declared bastards - i.e. illegitimate.

If this is the history it seems remarkable, indeed, that the monarchy allowed European Union laws to interfere with longstanding British laws on their own traditions. Do you know in what way the EU laws were "incorporated" into British law so as to affect The Royal Marriage Act? Was it simply rendered null and void, or at least the part of it which dictated that the Queen could tell an adult whom to marry? Why would the EU law not, also, protect a member of the Royal Family from marrying a Catholic without losing his place in the line of succession if it is so powerful that it overrides British law? Is there a solicitor reading the board who knows anything about this?

Just found this thread. As a newcomer, here are my thoughts. Since the wedding, Charles seems to have reverted to the happy man of earlier times. As for Camilla, although always dignified and discreet, she is now the epitome of dignity. They seem to be happy and supportive of each other. Camilla seems to be taking on the role of the Queen mother, always there, always beautifully dressed, dignified and regal. The Queen mother never blabbed or gave an interview, maintaining the mystique of Royalty. Camilla seems to be following in her footsteps. My admiration for her knows no bounds...

With all due respect ...

Every Royal has the possibilitiy to get the´best material things´ , and does every Royal woman look as generous as Camilla does?:rolleyes:
I apologise for not sharing you adoration of Duchess of Cornwall. I for one think that she looks plain typical English. Duchess of Cornwall may have fresh English countryside charm, which I have not got appreciation for. I prefer more ethereal ladies with the style, which I define as sophisticated simplicity. In my very subjective opinion, only Lady Gabriella Windsor has got this style, although she may not be defined as ethereal.
I am not sure what you mean by “look as generous as Camilla does”. I think that a fair number of royal ladies from the older generation look great.

I apologise for not sharing you adoration of Duchess of Cornwall. I for one think that she looks plain typical English. SHORTENED.
Many of the worlds top models come from England and it is slightly insulting to be generalised as 'plain typical English'. Obviously coming from different cultures, one would simply not make comparisons based on country. That would be similar to suggesting that all German ladies wear national custume and their hair in plaits, whereas they are among the most beautifully turned out women I know and not a plait in sight. :bang:

I apologise for not sharing you adoration of Duchess of Cornwall. I for one think that she looks plain typical English...

I completely agree with you on this - Camilla looks like a 'plain typical English Lady'. And I love it.
We all may have different opinions, of course, but for me the Duchess represents the 'old school' of Royals, when everything was not turned into soap opera and Hollywood-type show. :)

Last edited:
I completely agree with you on this - Camilla looks like a plain typical English Lady. And I love it.
We all may have different opinions, of course, but for me the Duchess represents the 'old school' of Royals, when everything was not turned into soap opera and Hollywood-type show. :)
Avalon, she may be seen as 'typically' English by some, but I object to allowing all English women being described as plain! :eek:

Dear Skydragon,
I have expressed my personal, thus, inherently biased opinion. I come from the country, where ladies have never earned such titles as “the most beautiful in the Central Asian region” or “one of the most beautiful in …” This privilege belongs to Russian ladies. Let them have it. Citizens of stable European democracies also like generailsing us in an insulting manner.

Avalon, she may be seen as 'typically' English by some, but I object to allowing all English women being described as plain! :eek:

I certainly didn't mean it in any offencive meaning: having great respect for English women, I used 'plain' as 'typical'. :)
The Duchess does seem to be very English, and English Ladies are anything but plain (in negative meaning).

I completely agree with you on this - Camilla looks like a 'plain typical English Lady'. And I love it.
Dear Avalon,
Thanks for accurately grasping the meaning of "plain typical English". Yes, Duchess of Cornwall may be seen as a typical representative of the English nation. :flowers::flowers::flowers: By the way, the word "plain" has got a meaning "genuine" in the Russian -English dictionary.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom