The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-07-2007, 03:23 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhon11234 View Post
Well that is the only thing she has bested the Princess of Wales at.
Really? Well she has continued to act like a lady and make prudent decisions for her life and social companions, so she is still alive, Diana is not. She will at the very least be the wife of a King, should Charles out live his mother and most likely he will, if not Queen and that grows more likely with each passing day. So it seems she has Diana's husband, titles and with all reports that I have read even Diana's sons are quite fond of her. Seems to me like she got everything that was really important.

Old 10-07-2007, 03:25 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Well if there was a contest between who was more childish and self-absorbed, Charles and Diana during their marriage would have tied each other very easily.

Both of them wanted the other to revolve their life around them and I'm not so impressed with the argument that somehow Diana's childishness and self-absorption was more excusable than Charles'.

Camilla differs from both Diana and Charles in that she is less self-absorbed and Charles seems to have had luck with Camilla that Diana was not able to find with her lovers. Diana's lovers were all as childish and self-absorbed as she was. But that was relatively evident from the beginning so that part of my opinion of Camilla hasn't changed.

I wish they had showed more backbone and continued on with the plan of Camilla's attending Diana's memorial service but overall that is the only change of opinion I have of Camilla over the years.

"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 10-07-2007, 03:25 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondBrg View Post
Well there is one fact that is irrefutable. The Duchess of Cornwall was able to do one thing that Diana could never do, that is win the heart and soul of the Prince of Wales. Camilla most assuredly bested Diana in that regard.
Yes and of course the hearts of the people who did not like his first wife at all!
Old 10-07-2007, 03:35 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Really? Well she has continued to act like a lady and make prudent decisions for her life and social companions, so she is still alive, Diana is not. She will at the very least be the wife of a King, should Charles out live his mother and most likely he will, if not Queen and that grows more likely with each passing day. So it seems she has Diana's husband, titles and with all reports that I have read even Diana's sons are quite fond of her. Seems to me like she got everything that was really important.
Yes she may have Diana's old titles and worthless husband and so what wills and harry are fond of her but they love their mother more. And Camilla will never have the fame, adoration,beauty, and magnetism towards the people like Diana did.
Old 10-07-2007, 03:43 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Oh dear, I hope we're not starting a battle of my princess is better than your princess. That is so boring and fights over who is the better princess can get quite nasty.

If I want violent action, I'll stick to mixed martial arts.
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 10-07-2007, 03:45 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhon11234 View Post
Yes she may have Diana's old titles and worthless husband and so what wills and harry are fond of her but they love their mother more. And Camilla will never have the fame, adoration,beauty, and magnetism towards the people like Diana did.
And what you just described is precisely what was wrong with Diana and what caused so much consternation and havoc within her marriage to the Prince of Wales, she wanted to be a movie star, not a member of the Royal Family and Queen to a reigning King. Had she not married the Prince of Wales, who would have ever paid the poor little thing any attention? To be perfectly honest, she was slender, yes, but in my personal opinion, far from beautiful. She was blonde and blue eyed which are both desirable traits, but her face was common. About the best thing she portrayed was a person well equipped to engender pity and sympathy, which she used repeatedly in her war with the Royal Family.

Perhaps Camilla actually wants to be a part of Prince Charles's life and not just use him as a stepping stone to her own glory?
Old 10-07-2007, 03:48 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel View Post
Oh dear, I hope we're not starting a battle of my princess is better than your princess. That is so boring and fights over who is the better princess can get quite nasty.

I cross posted with you, I am sorry. I will move on to another subject. I just tired of the Duchess of Cornwall being used as a "whipping boy" by some.
Old 10-07-2007, 03:49 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel View Post

They each had their own good and bad points, as we all know. I'll send you a bottle of Arnica to deal with your bruises though!
Old 10-07-2007, 03:52 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
And what you just described is precisely what was wrong with Diana and what caused so much consternation and havoc within her marriage to the Prince of Wales, she wanted to be a movie star, not a member of the Royal Family and Queen to a reigning King. Had she not married the Prince of Wales, who would have ever paid the poor little thing any attention? To be perfectly honest, she was slender, yes, but in my personal opinion, far from beautiful. She was blonde and blue eyed which are both desirable traits, but her face was common. About the best thing she portrayed was a person well equipped to engender pity and sympathy, which she used repeatedly in her war with the Royal Family.

Perhaps Camilla actually wants to be a part of Prince Charles's life and not just use him as a stepping stone to her own glory?
Really she wanted to be a moviestar I would think she would have been in a movie before her death. And she didn't run after fame it ran after her.

And what destryoed their marriage incapability and mistrust. My apologies once again ysabel.
Old 10-07-2007, 04:06 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

OK now that we have that out of our system, let's move on.

No more princess battles or else these forums with have to come equipped with plates of armour.

ysbel
British forum moderator
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 01-04-2008, 05:54 PM
Serene Highness

I think it is a matter of having moved on. Yes, the people loved Diana and she was their queen of hearts (to most people always will be), but she is not around anymore and doesn't 'stir the news' as such. Charles is obviously much happier now that he is married to Camilla and I think it shows. I believe that she gives him the backbone to properly carry out his tasks and equally that he is her sharing partner for the interests that she has.
In my eyes they are a very fitting couple and I believe that everyone, royal or not, should be able to live out their happily ever after when the right person for that is obviously around.
Call me naive, I prefer to name it romantic
Old 01-04-2008, 06:34 PM
Heir Presumptive

My opinion has really not changed. I still see Charles and Camilla as self-absorbed, but happy with each other. I, think, that they were meant for each other, unfortunately, they destroyed others in their love. Too, bad. Camilla looked like an unmade bed, until the wedding and makeover. There is nothing wrong with that. That is her due. She has little bearing, slumped over, making the jewels they bedeck her with, look like they are dragging her down. She is, most probably, a decent enough person. She is noted for her humor. All good qualities. I really have nothing against either one of them, but, the disstaff side, always has to throw rocks to raise these two up. So, there must be some discomfort there. Actually, you know who is dead, and they are alive and doing what they want. Nothing shall change that.
Old 01-04-2008, 07:01 PM
Imperial Majesty

Here we go again, I get that feeling, etc, etc, etc....
Old 01-05-2008, 06:42 PM
Aristocracy

They make each other happy. Everyone deserves to be with someone you love. I do believe there is more than "1" person out there for everyone.
Charles and Diana were both incredibly immature and spiteful to each other during there marriage. I am sure it happen in all marriages that are breaking up. They had the misfortune of being in the public eye.
It seems as though, towards the end of Charles' life, he and Diana were on friendly terms and got along quite well.
I do think, that had Diana lived, Charles and Camilla still would have married eventually. The monarchy realizes it needs to evolve and it is (albeit, still rather slowly )
At the end of her life, I do think Diana had respect for Charles and he for her.
If Charles and Camilla make each other happy, and it appears they do, than great.
Old 01-05-2008, 07:06 PM
Aristocracy

I like Camilla ,O.K. she seems to make Charles happy.
Old 01-05-2008, 08:34 PM

There are two articles in the January 2008 Majesty about the Uganda and Turkey visits. Strangely enough, both articles are written by a "Di-express" correspondent, one Richard Palmer. The one about Uganda expresses a lot of criticism about the Prince's regard for the Commonwealth in general. The one about Turkey is slightly less critical of him, but what is most interesting to me about this one are the pictures. I don't know if it was Palmer's intent to use loving pictures of the couple for his article, probably not, but that was the result. The pictures here show very strongly the genuine, mature love between Charles and Camilla. These are the kind of pictures that increase my liking of them as a couple, day by day. You can see the tenderness, the security, and the assurance and comfort between them. They display their love for each other in subtle ways, with a glance, a look in their eyes as if saying to each other in their silent way, "I know what you are thinking, and oh what fun this is because we can communicate this way and no one but us knows."
Old 01-05-2008, 09:30 PM
Heir Presumptive

It is touching that they love each other and care for each other. It is a very important thing and to not recognize that is silly. They have a great love. That is wonderful. What amazes me is those that are very critical of Diana, will say "here we go again", if anything uncomplimentary are said about the "Golden Couple". The sword cuts both ways.
Old 01-05-2008, 11:54 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNTESS View Post
My opinion has really not changed. I still see Charles and Camilla as self-absorbed, but happy with each other. I, think, that they were meant for each other, unfortunately, they destroyed others in their love. Too, bad. Camilla looked like an unmade bed, until the wedding and makeover. There is nothing wrong with that. That is her due. She has little bearing, slumped over, making the jewels they bedeck her with, look like they are dragging her down. She is, most probably, a decent enough person. She is noted for her humor. All good qualities. I really have nothing against either one of them, but, the disstaff side, always has to throw rocks to raise these two up. So, there must be some discomfort there. Actually, you know who is dead, and they are alive and doing what they want. Nothing shall change that.
Regarding the Duchess of Cornwall's jewels dragging her down, I most respectfully refer you to this website, which has wonderful photos of wear wearing most of the pieces we have seen:
Cornwall

I have to say that as much as I love her in the tiaras, my favorite pieces she wears are the emerald brooches and the emerald drop earrings--magnificant!
Also, I don't think it is really fair to say that Charles and Camilla "destroyed others in their love"--that seems to be a bit harsh; remember, remember, Diana did not exactly make it a happy home, either. Also, after their separation and divorce, Charles and Diana appeared to be on good enough terms--so in the end, Diana's choices destroyed her life.

Regarding my opinion of Camilla--I've always liked her for multiple reasons, but for me, it comes down to this. Diana was glamourous and exciting--magnetic and she was smart to use it to her advantage to cultivate a well crafted public personna--and many people only remember that public personna--not who she was a total person. Camilla has always been Camilla--in all honesty, I think we can all agree on that. There is not pretention about her--what you see is what you get. She doesn't court public opinion or the papers--she is the same person day in and day out--constant as the night. Also, she sees her role as being supportive to Charles, whereas Diana wanted to outshine Charles. There is an comfortable ease between the two of them that I admire greatly!

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 01-06-2008, 08:40 AM
Aristocracy

I think Camilla is perfect for Charles; she is from a good family, had a good education, they share the same hobbies, she can walk a step behind his husband if it's necessary, she can represent glamorously the Royal House; what else does she needs?
Of course she's made mistakes in her private life-who hasn't?

I am interested in the Royal Families not because their private lives and "dirty little secrets" but their Royal life.
It would be magnificent if they had an immaculate private life, too...but I guess it is too much to ask for....
Old 01-06-2008, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcbcode99 View Post
Regarding my opinion of Camilla--I've always liked her for multiple reasons, but for me, it comes down to this. Diana was glamourous and exciting--magnetic and she was smart to use it to her advantage to cultivate a well crafted public personna--and many people only remember that public personna--not who she was a total person. Camilla has always been Camilla--in all honesty, I think we can all agree on that. There is not pretention about her--what you see is what you get. She doesn't court public opinion or the papers--she is the same person day in and day out--constant as the night. Also, she sees her role as being supportive to Charles, whereas Diana wanted to outshine Charles. There is an comfortable ease between the two of them that I admire greatly!
This is beautiful, Janet. I think you have put into words how a lot of people feel about Camilla. I know that I feel this way, although I couldn't put it into these words before.

Closed Thread

Tags
camilla, duchess of cornwall, prince charles, prince of wales, relationships, royal duties