The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-14-2011, 04:33 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Accepted her in the sense that she can go out on a public occasion and people don't shout abuse at her. Well I don't think they do
I personally think, people have seen what she has done for Charles and how she represents the country in an elegant and graceful manner, and they like it.
The issue of her being named Queen is a different matter, for me it's a question that has been "brushed under the carpet" time and time again because politicians aren't ready to handle the backlash if they put their name down on one side or the other.
They should say now or in the next year or so, Yes or No to the "Queen question" then the people have time to adjust just like they have now. This is how I see it.

Old 05-14-2011, 04:33 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Big difference between the moral situation in 1936 than that of the situation in 2005. Loose morals how so?
You seem to have a very narrow minded opinion of marriage and love IMO. Should Charles have stayed with Diana to keep his morals intact? Or should he never have fallend in love with another woman? Is there a problem with love? You cannot help who you love. Charles and Camilla did the decent thing by admitting their love to the world and marrying for the whole nation to see. Looks like most of the nation have accepted Camilla, seems like you haven't.
We have to remember too that over the years prior to their admitted affair (after the marriage had broken down between Charles and Diana and the same with Camilla and APB), Camilla and Charles shared a deep friendship that endured through the decades. It was a friendship strong enough to be just that... an intimate close friendship.. where I do think both Camilla and Charles remained faithful to their respective spouses. When things go bad, who do you turn to? Your best friends. It was only after they both realized that their respective marriages weren't as they should be that they realized that they were IN love with each other

There have been many times its been quoted as Diana saying "there were three of us in the marriage". I can see where Camilla even just being a close friend and confidant at that point to Diana would seem as a threat to her. But that's back then.

One reason I do think that Charles and Camilla have such a good relationship with each other now is because of all the years they have spent together and building and cementing a relationship in a lot of ways. From casual dating to close friends as couples (Charles, Camilla and Andrew mostly), to confiding in each other the woes of their relationships and finally to finding love with each other. To me there isn't anything "loose" about either one of them. Also, I believe that if things had been different and Diana could have accepted the fact that Camilla was a friend and Camilla's marriage to APB was a strong one, we'd still be seeing Camilla and Charles as great friends. It just didn't happen that way. They're together now and very well suited to each other and most importantly, happy.

Old 05-14-2011, 08:33 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Also, I believe that if things had been different and Diana could have accepted the fact that Camilla was a friend and Camilla's marriage to APB was a strong one, we'd still be seeing Camilla and Charles as great friends. It just didn't happen that way. They're together now and very well suited to each other and most importantly, happy.

I don't think that Diana and Charles' marriage would have lasted at all but I do think that if Diana could have understood that men can have friends who are women without there being anything more to it then their marriage might have taken a different turn.

Diana was convinced from before she walked down the aisle to say 'I will' that Charles loved someone else and that became a self-fulfilling prophecy whereby she drove him from her with her paranoia about a friend who had been his friend for a decade when Charles and Diana married.
Old 05-14-2011, 09:30 PM
Royal Highness

Ha! I'm not the biggest Diana fan but in fairness her paranoia was absolutly correct- he loved Camilla as the present marriage between the 2 shows. There marriage may have legally lasted had she done as other women and turned a blind eye but that shouldn't have been required of her ....She was perfect in the marriage and had her issue but she wasn't wrong about her husband loving another woman
Old 05-14-2011, 09:44 PM
Administrator

Let's not rehash the Diana/Charles/Camilla triangle.

How has your opinion changed since the wedding?

Old 05-15-2011, 07:28 AM

I have always felt that the public have been very critical of Camilla and I really do sypmathise with her to a certain degree about it. I have often seen very derogatory comments about Camilla on YouTube and I feel such disgust and empathy for the poor woman. It is so sad that she has always been villfied in public as the woman who broke the royal marriage. In my opinion, they were always in love right from 1970 when they first met, it is such a tragedy that Charles was not allowed to marry her because of whatever Christian denomination she was or because of her sexual history, sadly, it was this fact that led to so much grief for everyone in Charles' family and also everyone in Camilla's family. Spare a thought for Andrew Parker Bowles who bore just as much grief as Diana. I felt that it was only right that Charles married Camilla after so long, it would be unfitting for them not to celebrate their incessant love for one another through marriage. With the permission of the moderators I would just like to make one very brief reference to the late princess and say that I can say with conviction that after so long even she would be very pleased to see that her ex-husband and father of her two children is now truly happy with life. For it was in her character to seek happiness from seeing others happy.
Old 05-15-2011, 09:51 PM
Heir Presumptive

As years go by I am either, "liking" Camilla or having respect for her. Charles and Camilla have loved each other for 4 decades and I do believe she is like a Wallis Simpson or Elizabeth Bowes Lyon type who makes her man stronger and supports them in a way few others could. It's easy to say they should have gotten married back in the 70s; I myself have even said it, but there are 4 children who would not have existed if Charles and Camilla married back then.
Old 05-16-2011, 01:18 AM
Heir Apparent

Life happens and for me, all things do happen for a reason. To talk about Charles and Camilla now and how our opinions have changed or whatever, its near impossible to leave out the effects and whatnot of previous marriages. Zonk, I'm sorry but to get a full opinion of why and how opinions change, we have to include the full scope of the relationship from the 70s until now. Oh I get it now.. has your opinion changed since the wedding.. OOOPS. Perhaps another thread where the long term relationship could be discussed?
Old 05-16-2011, 01:37 AM
Majesty

I agree with you though because what a person's opinion was at the time of the wedding would have been coloured by their opinion of the events leading up to the wedding and thus their opinion of the breakdown of the Charles and Diana marriage. Thus to explain why their opinion has changed, for many people, would also mean explaining what formed their attitude in 2005.
Old 05-16-2011, 01:57 AM
Heir Apparent

rOk.. I came here for hats.. yes hats. Ascot back in 2006. And.. to be really really honest, it was for how outrageous they look. (Bea's hat at the wedding has topped it all) My opinion has changed in a lot of ways since I joined. YOU have taught me a lot. I got to hear things from folks that were not tabloid fodder. Only information I did have prior to coming here was I worked as a cashier and in "down" time would read the rags. I read through the threads about Diana and found out she was human. I read about Camilla and her in the past and the person she is now. I read about Charles and found out he's just not a big set of ears waiting to be King one day.

Yes my opinion changed and it wasn't with the wedding.. it was with knowledge of who these people are. To be honest.. its because these three people were involved so much with each other.. it is a very important part of of why we're even discussing them.

To be honest. if Charles had married anyone else, he would still be great friends with Camilla. That was um... non-negotiable.
Old 05-16-2011, 07:10 AM
Administrator

From an earlier moderator post:

The purpose of this thread isn't to rehash the particulars of the Charles/Camilla/Diana triange or why Charles and Diana didn't work.

Its purpose is to talk about Charles and Camilla and whether or not your opinion of them has changed. Yes, we know the background of their relationship...that goes without saying. So there is NO need to rehash if Charles cheated on Diana first, or vice versa or any of that.

That certainly has to do with how you viewed them (either negatively or positively) in the past, but since their wedding....has your perception changed?

If it hasn't that is fine (as long as we don't do the blame game) but if it has, please share your reasons why.

Zonk
British Forums Moderator

Old 05-16-2011, 08:38 AM
Heir Apparent

Gotcha and point taken.

and there ends the discussion.
Old 05-16-2011, 03:54 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
O

Yes my opinion changed and it wasn't with the wedding.. it was with knowledge of who these people are.
That's a better way to put it. I didn't watch the wedding and I was pissed that it was happening. I do recall clips (though I don't know how I came across them) of Charles helping Camilla find her place in a hymn or prayer book. I think that is when I started seeing them as people and not charactures of villains.
Old 05-26-2011, 11:23 AM
Serene Highness

In 2005 I remember seeing bits of the wedding and feeling absolutely repulsed by the idea. But now I can re-watch it and feel nothing at all. A good thing, I guess :P

The Duchess seemed very emotional at some moments and also very proud. (who wouldn't w/ that cute Eliza as a bridesmaid?!)
There's not much of a difference between a stadium full of cheering fans and an angry crowd screaming abuse at you. They're both just making a lot of noise. How you take it is up to you. Convince yourself they're cheering for you. You do that, and someday, they will - Sue S.
Old 05-26-2011, 11:24 AM
Commoner

I find as an American, this Camilla woman totally creepy. In my opinion, she had a big hand in the collapse of Princess Diana's marriage. I personally believe the woman is totally ruthless. For years, it was common knowledge that the Queen loathed this woman and refused to be in the same room with her. I believe the Queen refuses to step down and let her son ascend the throne because she holds a grudge against her son. Yes, she loves him but believes he is a huge disappointment. I saw a program about Princess Diana's jewels and was stunned to hear that Camilla was wearing a piece of jewelry that Charles had given to Diana. And don't tell me that this woman did not know that that piece of jewelry was given to Diana by her husband as a very personal gift. I am sorry to say that I find her behavior over the last 30 years unacceptable and shows what a selfish woman she is.

I saw a program about Princess Diana's jewels and was stunned to hear that Camilla was wearing a piece of jewelry that Charles had given to Diana. And don't tell me that this woman did not know that that piece of jewelry was given to Diana by her husband as a very personal gift. She also made changes to this piece of jewelry adding her own touches (adding a drop emerald). This was not Royal jewelry.
Old 05-26-2011, 11:52 AM
Administrator

Your totally entitled to your opinion but there a few facts that need to be taken into consideration.

First, it is not common knowledge that the Queen loathed Camilla. Certainly she was not excited about the attention that the couple received when their relationship began but you can't chalk that up to loathing Camilla. Protocol and maintaining the prestige of the monarchy are important with the Queen. If the Queen didn't care for Camilla, than Camilla wouldn't have been at the funeral of the Queen Mother, the memorial service or the Queen's Golden Jubliee celebrations.

Second, the Queen is not going to step down because she takes her commitment as monarch seriously and its a lifetime commitment. And that has nothing to do with Camilla or the belief that Charles shouldn't be King.

Third, Camilla is not wearing Diana's jewelry. She is wearing jewelry that traditionally belong to the Princesses of Wales, of which she is. Sorry, like it or not that is her title. She is wearing jewels that are associated with previous Princesses of Wales (like Mary) and future (like Catherine). Diana's personal jewelry remains with her sons, William and Harry.

Now, I am a fan of Diana's, but you can't change the fact (you dont' have to like it) that Camilla's is Charles's wife, and thus should be treated accordingly. I admit that I wasn't a happy bird that April morning in 2005, but Camilla has done nothing wrong since she has become a member of the British Royal Family. She makes Charles happy. That's it. Those are the facts.

Old 05-26-2011, 12:31 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post

I admit that I wasn't a happy bird that April morning in 2005, but Camilla has done nothing wrong since she has become a member of the British Royal Family. She makes Charles happy. That's it. Those are the facts.
I always liked Camilla - actually from the kind and loving as well as a bit naughty and funny way she reacted with Charles on the infamous phone call which showed her private side while she had always remained dignified in public throughout the whole CDC-mess.

What shows me that she has really "landed" as part of the RF is the way she was greeted by HM and the DoE on arriving to the Royal wedding whch was very warm and family-like and the fact that William, who loves his late mother and his wife, took Catherine to stay at Clarence House and allowed Camilla to take part in their life. He wouldn't encourage this mother-daughter-in-law scenario (liek them going out for lunch alone, letting Catherine accept the gift of a bit of pampering before the wedding organized by Camilla) if he wasn't feeling that this is the right thing to do and how to live as a family. And if he and Harry are okay with Camilla, others should be able to be so, too.
Old 05-26-2011, 01:08 PM
Aristocracy

I would say that my opinion of them has improved slightly.. very slightly.
Old 05-26-2011, 02:01 PM
Heir Apparent

Like so many, I felt a slight sense of impropriety when the wedding arrived (it wasn't a proper wedding, just a Service of Blessing).

As the years went by, one gets the feeling that it's simply easier to just accept the status quo.

Also, there have been so many royal weddings and divorces that one is quite used to it. I'm far more interested in the younger generation, with Wills and Kate at the top of my list.
Old 05-26-2011, 02:16 PM
Heir Presumptive

My opinion over the years has changed. I like both of them but I respect Camilla a lot more than I do for Charles. IMO she is doing a good job for what I can tell; and has worked hard to improve her image.
The family has obviously moved on but some people find the need to constantly rehash the war of the waleses on these forums. As I said a few weeks ago, watching the wedding, I was so happy to see finally a united family. I think Diana would be happy to see her sons and ex-husband happy and enjoying life with people they love.

Tags
camilla, duchess of cornwall, prince charles, prince of wales, relationships, royal duties