The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 12:04 AM
Courtier

Well, after the recent events (yes, since the wedding!) and Charles finally admitting that "Queen" Camilla is in the cards, I have to say this about my opinion having changed:

1. Toward Camilla Parker-Bowles, I find myself moving to a "neutral" position. I'll never warm to someone who so gleefully engaged in cuckolding her own husband, but she seems to be a somewhat working Royal except when the weather doesn't suit her;

2. Charles has gone down in my estimation. His endless pouting is tiresome and now that he finally admits that he lied all along the way about Camilla's titles, role and future status, his behaviour just makes me loathe him - moving from considering him just silly and pendatic to an active seeker of ridicule. He's always been a polished dissembler but he makes fools of each and every one of his supporters, and by the timing of his latest "oh, but Camiller is queen material even after I promised she wouldn't be" smacks of an insecure man who views the engagement of his son to be solely an opportunity to advance his own agenda.

Since their wedding, they have shown their true-er colors. Hers are at least tolerable: yes, she shirks as many duties as possible but why shouldn't she if she can get away with it? And he's a practiced liar who has crossed the faint line from vaguely amusing to borderline sociopathic in his smooth practiced "assurances."

They truly deserve each other . Yes, I know , it's true love and all that - but sometimes, like in this case, true love is just recognizing a kindred spirit.

Old 11-22-2010, 03:34 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotAPretender
...especially theirs which was multiple and repeated...
I would have thought that Diana's multiple adulteries with a variety of partners would fall into the same category.
However, we won't be re-engaging the War or the Wales or the C-C-D triangle in this thread thanks.

Old 11-22-2010, 07:51 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotAPretender View Post
His endless pouting is tiresome and now that he finally admits that he lied all along the way about Camilla's titles, role and future status, his behaviour just makes me loathe him - moving from considering him just silly and pendatic to an active seeker of ridicule. He's always been a polished dissembler but he makes fools of each and every one of his supporters, and by the timing of his latest "oh, but Camiller is queen material even after I promised she wouldn't be" smacks of an insecure man who views the engagement of his son to be solely an opportunity to advance his own agenda.
I am not sure how you got to the conclusion that Charls lied. All the announcement at the time of their engagement said was that it was intended that she would take the title of PConsort. The constitutional position was clarified in Parliament that she would be PoW and in time, Queen.

As to whether you love him or loathe him is entirely a personal position, and from the point of view of the monarchy, the BRF, and the British public, completely inconsequential.
Old 11-22-2010, 07:55 AM
Administrator

Personally I have always had the belief that it was the "intention" that Camilla would be Queen. I mean, like it or not, she is his wife. If he is going to be King than she is going to be Queen.

I also have the feeling that (no proof just my opinion) that Charles said whatever was necessary to quell any issues about Camilla being Queen when the engagement was announced. They should have just grabbed the bull by the horns and said (in a nice way of course).Diana is dead Life is for the living...Camilla will be Princess of Wales and by his accession, Queen Consort to a King Charles. In the words of the late Duke of Windsor...the whole bag of tricks!

And that would have been the end of it. Some grumbling by the Diana fans but they would have gotten over it (well really they wouldn't have gotten over it but what can you do about it) and we wouldnt' be talking about this five years later.

Old 11-22-2010, 08:43 AM
Courtier

Totally agree. People that have a problem with Camilla are going to have it no matter what title she goes by, so they need to end all this and come out and say she will be Queen - which everyone has really know since they got married.
Old 11-22-2010, 09:06 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
I also have the feeling that (no proof just my opinion) that Charles said whatever was necessary to quell any issues about Camilla being Queen when the engagement was announced. They should have just grabbed the bull by the horns and said (in a nice way of course).Diana is dead Life is for the living...Camilla will be Princess of Wales and by his accession, Queen Consort to a King Charles. In the words of the late Duke of Windsor...the whole bag of tricks!
Completely agree. Charles did what he had to do to serve himself, including putting forth outright lies and dissembling.
Old 11-22-2010, 09:07 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
As to whether you love him or loathe him is entirely a personal position...
And our opinions of Charles and Camiller is the very point of this thread. I would have thought you might have noticed that in the title of it.
Old 11-22-2010, 10:44 AM
Administrator

Actually the thread title is asking "how has your opinion changed since the wedding?"
If your opinion hasn't changed, I'd say there's little to contribute to this particular discussion.
Old 11-22-2010, 12:45 PM
Courtier

Opinions continue to shift as new events occur or new information comes to light - one would think, at least. "Opinion," of course, being the operative word in this or any title.
Old 11-22-2010, 12:50 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Opinions continue to shift as new events occur or new information comes to light - one would think, at least. "Opinion," of course, being the operative word in this or any title.
Quite right, as do intentions!
Old 11-22-2010, 02:08 PM
Commoner

Off topic a bit but I am really feeling for PC and Camilla right now.
Unfortunate timing for the engagement. The Dateline interview was overshadowed by the engagement and the answer to one small question has opened up an entire can of worms.

I also feel Prince William should have a family photocall with Camilla to show unity, unless PW really doesn't care about the public turmoil or his father (which I sincerely doubt).
Old 11-22-2010, 02:28 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by berengere View Post
Off topic a bit but I am really feeling for PC and Camilla right now.
Unfortunate timing for the engagement. The Dateline interview was overshadowed by the engagement and the answer to one small question has opened up an entire can of worms.

I also feel Prince William should have a family photocall with Camilla to show unity, unless PW really doesn't care about the public turmoil or his father (which I sincerely doubt).
EEEEK!!! Can you explain the unfortunate timing of the engagement and what was the small question that has unleashed the worms. (I pretty much hole up with a book each weekend.) If you could bring me up to date, I'd be grateful. Thx.
Old 11-22-2010, 04:06 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
EEEEK!!! Can you explain the unfortunate timing of the engagement and what was the small question that has unleashed the worms. (I pretty much hole up with a book each weekend.) If you could bring me up to date, I'd be grateful. Thx.

IMO, the engagement overshadowed the dateline special of Prince Charles, aired internationally and titled something like 'the man who will be king'. So the producers added a lot of william kate, and charles diana wedding footage in the beginning.

Then PW gives her Diana's ring, which I personally find touching, but between the rearing memory of Diana of the shy lamb being led to sacrifice and controversy of Charles noncomittal response to the Dateline question of whether Camilla could be Queen .... IMO unleashed a lot of forgotten emotion and 'partisan' feelings...unecessarily in my view.
Old 11-22-2010, 06:27 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Completely agree. Charles did what he had to do to serve himself, including putting forth outright lies and dissembling.

What lies?

The word at the time was 'intention' and that hasn't changed.

I have had many intentions that have changed over the years. Five years ago I intended to retire at 55 - did I lie? No - but will I be retiring at 55 no - circumstances have changed.

That is the same thing here. If circumstances allow the intention will change but if the circumstances are the same as they were in 2005 then she will follow the intention and be known as Princess Consort.

That her husband would like her to be crowned Queen Consort by his side is not the same as saying she will be - a personal preference isn't the same as the official line that will exist in 10 - or 20 years time when he comes to the throne.
Old 11-22-2010, 06:38 PM
Courtier

My opinion has changed tremendously since the wedding! Before the wedding I
saw Prince Charles as a really insecure, selfish man, almost evil really after the whole Diana thing, , and Camilla as a mean person as well and I couldn't believe they were getting married. But my opinion was based purely on lack of knowlegde on both of them. I've read a lot about Charles since, and learnt about the great things he does and his charities, and seen interviews - of course there are numerous blunders (like the photocall with Will&Harry before hos wedding, in Switzerland etc.) but all in all he seems like a good person.

I also have a very positive opinion on Camilla now.
Old 11-22-2010, 08:31 PM
Heir Apparent

My feelings still haven't changed since the wedding, and not even with the news that Camilla will be Queen.
I still feel she's a great asset to Charles and they will do well.
Old 11-22-2010, 08:44 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Well I did not expect that much of a reply from one little statement.
I have always liked Camilla, mainly because she seems more like the royal wife. She loves the country, she loves horses, she loves polo all the royal events if you like. She looks stunning wearing a tiara, she suits engagements whether rain or shine.

Charles is a wonderful man, and I always thought that when he was married to Diana, he lost his place. He is the heir to the throne, and his wife should not over shadow him. Again Camilla doesn't do that, she knows her place. He will be a wonderful King, with a wonderful wife by his side.
Although, I now like and respect Camilla. We cannot blame Diana for the fact that the world became besotted with her, I as a young teenager was one of those...just entranced. Diana set out to be the dutiful wife and Princess of Wales. Charles should have had the maturity to accept it and not get jealous.

The point is mute because they were overall unmatched in terms of temperment etc. But if later Diana manipulated and used her press appeal to her advantage, I think it was because she was scorned and had been humiliated publically and privately for so long.

Nonetheless, in my view, this is all water under the bridge and I am happy for Charles, that he has support and companionship and lasting love...something Diana never found in a partner.

It is the past and I really don't mind if Camilla is Queen Consort. I also think she will excel. Prince Charles' as a man of substance and much integrity, apart from the 1st marriage. He has been a dutiful and devoted heir and has done so gracefully knowing full well that bar unforseen disaster, his reign might well be a very short one.

I am in their corner!

Very interesting posts and opinions everyone!
Old 11-22-2010, 09:14 PM
Administrator

Please note that all posts regarding the relationship between Prince Charles, Prince William and the Queen have been moved to Relationships between members of the British Royal Family .

Zonk
British Forums Moderator

Old 11-22-2010, 11:01 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
I am not sure how you got to the conclusion that Charls lied. All the announcement at the time of their engagement said was that it was intended that she would take the title of PConsort. The constitutional position was clarified in Parliament that she would be PoW and in time, Queen.

The term that accurately fits is disingenuous, which means pretended innocence, lack of candor, falseness, insincere. 'It is intended' as opposed to this is what she will be called because otherwise we would not have been able to marry and now that we have I can change my position to suit my desires. Charles all over, IMO.
Old 11-22-2010, 11:13 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
Personally I have always had the belief that it was the "intention" that Camilla would be Queen. I mean, like it or not, she is his wife. If he is going to be King than she is going to be Queen.

This is what I think too--Charles always intended Camilla to become Queen. He should have just said so at the time.

I think this is reflective of Charles' personality in general. He doesn't like conflict so tries to keep the peace outwardly, but also intends to carry on doing exactly what he wants to do. Which inevitably results in conflict, anyway.

Tags
camilla, duchess of cornwall, prince charles, prince of wales, relationships, royal duties