The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 11:43 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by agogo View Post
It seems as if most people have just accepted and moved on. It is hard to forget Diana, and as time passes, her legacy becomes sweeter. After Queen Elizabeth accepted Camilla, so did most of the public.
Oh I quite agree.

Old 11-01-2010, 10:59 PM
Aristocracy

Yeah, I love Diana too but Camilla and Charles aren't doing anything to taint her memory so I can't say much. They do seem happy and they are doing a lot of appearances.

Old 11-14-2010, 05:10 AM
Majesty

If "PC" means Princess Camilla, she isn't a Princess. She's Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall or Camilla, Princess of Wales.[/QUOTE]

She is actually neither of those as the styles you are using are those of a divorced ex-wife of a peer - ala Diana, Princess of Wales from her divorce until her death and Sarah, Duchess of York since her divorce.

She is HRH The Princess Charles, The Duchess of Cornwall, The Princess of Wales etc. with no Camilla in there.

She is of course not Princess Camilla - as you say - just as Diana was never Princess Diana.

In the BRF women not born Princesses don't become a princess with their own name but take their husband's name e.g. HRH Princess Michael of Kent rather than Princess Christine.
Old 11-14-2010, 12:47 PM

I always knew that she was never Princess Diana. She was Diana, Princess of Wales after her divorce. Who started calling her Princess Diana, anyway? Is it the American Press?

I'm glad it is Camilla, The Duchess of Cornwall and I don't hear Duchess Camilla.

I always love Diana, but I am happy for Prince Charles and The Duchess of Cornwall. You knew when something last this very long despite everything they've been through could only mean- One True Love. I'm glad they got each other now, no more hiding and denying. Wish them all the best!
Old 11-15-2010, 03:43 AM
Heir Apparent

I think that it was because she was known as "Lady Diana" for so long that it seemed natural, although misled, to call her "Princess Diana" after her marriage. She had become so known to the public that it would have seemed strange to refer to her as The Princess of Wales. I remember that, before her and Charles's marriage, Princess of Wales sounded strange to me; but of course we got used to it.

I don't think that I've ever heard Camilla referred to as "Duchess Camilla" though. Of course, she was known simply as Camilla or Camilla Parker-Bowles. She wasn't Lady Camilla.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serene Rose View Post
I always knew that she was never Princess Diana. She was Diana, Princess of Wales after her divorce. Who started calling her Princess Diana, anyway? Is it the American Press
Old 11-15-2010, 06:08 AM
Nobility

Well of course it was the media who started it.. and it was ALL the media. And what I mean by that is, there is only SO much space on a magazine cover.. so they used "Princess Diana" and everyone knew who they were talking about.

It would have become quite difficult to always use "HRH The Princess of Wales", or "The Princess of Wales" on those covers.

Once they used "Princess Diana", it caught on and everyone began using the moniker to refer to her.

They've done the same thing with other wives of heirs..

HRH The Crown Princess of Denmark is commonly called "Princess Mary"
HRH The Princess of Asturias is commonly called "Princess Letizia"
HRH Maxima, Princess of the Netherlands, is commonly called "Princess Maxima".. etc, etc.

Besides, I don't consider it a terrible breach to call the wives of heirs "Princess", since for all intents and purposes they are intended to be future Queens.. unless, of course, they divorce the heir.

After Diana's divorce, the media most simply used "Diana", but by then she was a household name. Practically everyone on the planet knew who she was, and the media could sell their newspapers or magazines on the strength of her first name alone.

If Camilla had used her official title, HRH The Princess of Wales, after her marriage to Charles, I'm sure you'd now see her being referred to as "Princess Camilla" in the press. But since she uses the title HRH The Duchess of Cornwall, she is commonly just called Camilla by the media. I have never seen her called "Duchess Camilla" either.

It's an easy transition to call someone "Princess" when that is part of their official title.. and although legally Camilla is The Princess of Wales, since she doesn't use the title, its a little more difficult and/or awkward to call her "Princess" in the media.
Old 11-15-2010, 02:40 PM
Serene Highness

But unlike the UK the other CPss are not called by her husbands name :) So it is perfectly alright to call Mary, Maxima, Letizia etc. Princess :)
Old 11-15-2010, 07:01 PM
Heir Apparent

The more I learn about the European royal families, the more I'm struck by the differences in naming styles and the different rules on inheriting them. It can all be rather confusing for someone living "across the water."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sternchen View Post
But unlike the UK the other CPss are not called by her husbands name :) So it is perfectly alright to call Mary, Maxima, Letizia etc. Princess :)
Old 11-16-2010, 10:53 AM
Heir Apparent

I'm glad they're happy but I'm not a fan. Oddly, when they were first married I liked her more. And though she hasn't put a foot wrong I'm just not impressed.
Old 11-16-2010, 12:59 PM
Administrator

The topic of the thread is "Camilla and Charles: How has your opinion changed since the wedding?"
Post offering members' own character studies of the POW and DOC without reference to this question have been and will be removed.

Warren
British Forums moderator
Old 11-19-2010, 05:31 PM
Aristocracy

Not really a surprise. It will be interesting to see how he manages this "change".
Old 11-19-2010, 06:25 PM
Commoner

I have to say that I like Camilla at this point. Clearly PC has relied on her and IMO it is all water under the bridge. Let them live in peace. I find the articles calling for Prince Charles to step aside unecessary and insulting. I also think it would only be fitting for Camilla to be Queen Consort. If she has agreed to Princess Consort so be it.

I am saddened that the press is trying to create a rivalry between Prince Charles and Prince William.

In summary, while I disliked Camilla as she was reportedly not nice to Princess Diana, this was many years ago and I think she has done a good job as the Duchess of Cornwall.

... and I also love the way this woman wears a tiara!!!!
Old 11-20-2010, 04:14 AM
Nobility

My opinion of her improved a big deal when i saw how she answered the questions about William and Kate. She looked extremly happy and was wery outgoing, unlike the father who sounded less extatic.
Old 11-20-2010, 05:39 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattep74 View Post
My opinion of her improved a big deal when i saw how she answered the questions about William and Kate. She looked extremly happy and was wery outgoing, unlike the father who sounded less extatic.
I noticed that too.

When I actually saw the clip of Prince Charles' response my first thought was how much he reminded me of Prince Phillip. His reign should be interesting to say the least!
Old 11-21-2010, 09:26 PM

I feel the same way as before I do not like them. I feel they are quite selfish .
"I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best." Marilyn Monroe
Old 11-21-2010, 09:32 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0yalty View Post
I feel the same way as before I do not like them. I feel they are quite selfish .

How so? They screwed up, but does that mean they don't deserve to be happy together now? How long should they be "punished" for their "sins"?
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 11-21-2010, 09:44 PM
Gentry

I quite agree, "let he who is without sin cast the first stone. "
My feelings for Prince Charles and the Duchess of Cornwall are only friendly and respectful. These feelings have increased since their marriage. I applaud their dignity. I am sure that the Queen regarded Diana as the daughter-in-law from hell!
Old 11-21-2010, 09:56 PM
Heir Presumptive

"I am sure that the Queen regarded Diana as the daughter-in-law from hell! "

Actually the Queen had a good relationship with the Princess up until her death.
Old 11-21-2010, 10:01 PM
Aristocracy

My feelings haven't changed at all, I always felt that they were unlucky to be young at a time when the senior RF still had rather rigid ideas about a suitable wife for the heir to the throne. Camilla did not tick all their boxes and Prince Charles would have been aware of that. Had things been a little different .... but it's all if onlys

I always admired Camilla's dignity and discretion, and as I expected, she seems to be doing a grand job now and it's nice that more and more people are getting to know her.
Old 11-21-2010, 10:05 PM
Heir Apparent

A relationship not without its troubles, but I don't believe the Queen disliked Diana as a person. I think she was at a loss and didn't really know how to help, and didn't understand her as well as what she may have liked in order to help, but I don't doubt the Queen cared for Diana at length.

Diana was undoubtedly a complex character. Very much driven by emotion whereas the Queen is quite the opposite.

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Closed Thread

Tags
camilla, duchess of cornwall, prince charles, prince of wales, relationships, royal duties