The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 05:33 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_bina View Post
I would not define this whole thing as an Asian face-saving, but rather a European-style marriage of convenience, where spouses lead lives of their own, including extra marital affairs.
It is impossible to label marriages as 'European-style marriages'. We have no idea what, if any arrangement the Parker Bowles entered in to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo of Palatine View Post
Charles stayed with Camilla even though due to her illness she probably wasn't acting as his "mistress" all the time. I bet any woman wishes secretly for a husband like that!
I wish your friend a happy diagnosis and a speedy recovery.

Some of us are incredibly lucky, just like Camilla.

Old 01-06-2009, 05:37 PM
Heir Apparent

... as well as it is impossible to define the "organization to avoid unpleasant situations for all concerned" (Jo of Palatine) as the Asian face-saving.

Old 01-06-2009, 07:35 PM
Nobility

I hope your friend continues to improve. In my experience, we (women) often worry about loss of sexuality etc. after a hysterectomy. There are real physical changes to deal with but most husbands are happy to have a healthy Alive spouse. Husbands don't say keep the cancer so we can keep having sex. It is the same way when a man gets prostate cancer. When you love someone you work with their physical limitations. I think the POW is a normal husband in that sense.
Old 01-06-2009, 10:19 PM
Heir Apparent

I have had uterine cancer (15 year survivor this last december) and have had a hysterectomy and I can tell you, it's BLISS! Nothing has changed but I feel much better, no bloating, no time of the month, no mood swings, etc. I can't guarentee the same results for everybody, but I sure enjoy it.
Jo, your friend should be fine.
I think Camilla is doing quite well with hers too!
Old 01-07-2009, 03:46 AM
Heir Apparent

Thank you all for your good wishes.

I posted it here because I'm still fuming a bit about the fact that Charles and Camilla were called "opportunists" when in fact Camilla was in her circumstances surely no "opportunity" (as in "bargain-buy") for Charles. Yes, HM and HM's government spared him the choice between the throne and his love but still it wasn't easy for them and still isn't easy. There are things not even the reference for a Royal and the Windsor fortune can counterbalance.
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 01-07-2009, 09:31 AM
Administrator

As this thread has recently meandered all over the place I've moved some of the material to more appropriate homes:

The discussion of 'what happened on the train' has been moved to the Questions About Sources thread where the same topic was discussed a short time ago;
The discussion about the "Queen of Hearts" has been moved to the Diana's Legacy thread.

Warren
British Forums moderator
Old 01-11-2009, 04:03 PM
Commoner

In the beginning I didn't like Camillia and as time went on I still don't like her, but I have grown to accept her.
Old 01-24-2009, 12:41 PM

It's funny how she's become accepted amongst people now. As if Diana didn't exist. But hey, Camilla is okay in her own way too. I was impressed when she sent my son's school a set of Duchy of Cornwall table mats to auction at the school fete. So yes, she's becoming part of the furniture in Britain.
Old 01-24-2009, 01:27 PM

I don't think it's a case of forgetting Diana, she's commemorated when appropriate and surely that's alot more healthy than what we had? It's moving on, living in the present and not the past.
Old 01-24-2009, 05:10 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by malovian View Post
It's funny how she's become accepted amongst people now. As if Diana didn't exist. But hey, Camilla is okay in her own way too. I was impressed when she sent my son's school a set of Duchy of Cornwall table mats to auction at the school fete. So yes, she's becoming part of the furniture in Britain.

Why is it funny?

She is the wife of the Prince of Wales and so is part of public life, just like Diana was. Diana will always be remembered as she is the mother of William and Harry but Camilla is now being acknowledged for the position she now holds - that of the wife of the future king. Due to her relationship to a future king she needs to be accepted and acknowledged just as much, if not more so as she is alive, as Diana - the mother of a future king.
Old 01-24-2009, 05:29 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan View Post
I don't think it's a case of forgetting Diana, she's commemorated when appropriate and surely that's alot more healthy than what we had? It's moving on, living in the present and not the past.
I agree its high time Camilla is known and remembered as his second wife than the former mistress. Let the past be in the past...
Old 01-28-2009, 03:23 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhon11234 View Post
I agree its high time Camilla is known and remembered as his second wife than the former mistress. Let the past be in the past...
I agree. She might not be what Diana was, but in the end don't the british people want their Royal Family to be happy?
Old 01-30-2009, 10:21 PM
Commoner

I have always liked Camilla, and I've grown to like and admire her even more over time. I like her much better than Diana, who I thought was untrustworthy and a real diva. Charles seems much happier with a stable, mature wife who loves and respects him and isn't trying to steal the headlines for herself. He should have married Camiila way back when, and then he would have been a much happier man.
Old 01-31-2009, 12:25 AM
Heir Presumptive

A real diva, well thats news to me...

Quote:
but in the end don't the british people want their Royal Family to be happy?
I think the ones who support the monarchy would like the royal family to be happy. Imo its better to have a king and head of the church to have a wife rather than a girlfriend in the background.
Old 01-31-2009, 07:07 AM
Nobility

.The more I have learned about Camilla the more I like her. She and P. Charles are a good fit. But I don't think we should put down Diana to build up Camilla. Diana and P. Charles were not a good match even for a ?'arranged'? marriage. But IMO early on they were 'in love' or at least deep like. They just didn't have the makings of a long lasting marriage.
Old 02-02-2009, 05:25 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

My opinion is still the same as it was when they married.
She is a hugely fantastic influence on Prince Charles, it helps that they have known it each other for a long time. They both know what makes each other "tick" so to speak.

x
Old 03-25-2009, 06:08 PM
Commoner

I think Camilla is great, she's good for Charles, does what needs to be done and and doesn't overdo it. They look so comfortable together it makes me smile.
Old 03-25-2009, 08:43 PM
Heir Apparent

And when (God forbid!) HM passes and and they are crowned, nobody will give a crap as they'll be drooling over the pagentry.
Well, I know at least I will . . .
Old 03-26-2009, 05:34 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russophile View Post
And when (God forbid!) HM passes
I'm afraid death is the only certainty in life.
Old 03-27-2009, 09:18 AM
Heir Apparent

So, back to the topic at hand. Has my opinion of Charles and Camilla changed since the marriage. Yes. They keep getting better and better. We are seeing a whole new heir as Camilla draws out the very best in him and enables him to shine.

Camilla is to Charles what the Queen's Mother was to Albert. They make a dynamic duo and are a credit to the BRF.

Tags
camilla, duchess of cornwall, prince charles, prince of wales, relationships, royal duties