The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #781  
Old 05-19-2008, 06:43 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Canada, Canada
Posts: 1,062
I think you're right that they have a happy marriage, and you can infer that from their public behaviour, but I still think people have to remember that a judgment can only go so far based on what you publicly see of people. Sometimes I think that unpleasant stories about Charles and Camilla's married life, and/or individual behaviour, are going to come out after both of them pass away (hopefully many decades from now) and the same people who said "see, Diana's public image was just a facade and totally inaccurate" are going to say "I don't believe a word of it because Charles and Camilla looked happy in public." The full story about people never comes out until their lives are over, and never even then.
__________________

  #782  
Old 05-19-2008, 07:54 PM
Skydragon's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: London and Highlands, United Kingdom
Posts: 10,945
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay286 View Post
I don't know why everyone is having so much trouble understanding this. It makes sense to me. Appearing in public is the "job" of members of the royal family. In private life, most people don't accompany their spouses on their jobs. Royal spouses are expected to.

We know a fair bit about the public lives of Charles and Camilla as "working partners" in their royal duties. We know very little about their private life at home as husband and wife. Yes, they are also husband and wife in public, but in public we only see a small aspect of their lives. If my mom and dad worked together in public, they wouldn't act identically to the way they act at home. Public behaviour is never a full and fair representation of private behaviour.
I suppose it is phrases such as 'obligated'. I am 'expected' to turn up for certain events, I am not obligated. As a wife I go to support my husband, something that most wives would do. Sorry is the wife that is not prepared to show support for her husband, IMO. That isn't to say that you cannot have independent activities and causes. Hubby would be rather out of place at some of my causes, but he supports me 1000% and frequently asks if I would like him to 'help out or attend'.
__________________

  #783  
Old 05-19-2008, 08:06 PM
jcbcode99's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Richmond Area, United States
Posts: 1,980
I also support my husband by attending functions or events that are probably not suited to my own likes and interests--but I go because it not only is expected but it is also the proper thing to do. Likewise, he attends functions and events with me because he is expected to do so as well. THat is part of the marriage committment.
__________________
Janet

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
  #784  
Old 05-19-2008, 08:29 PM
Russophile's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Portland, United States
Posts: 4,071
The NFL network is on at our house 24-7.
PITY ME!!!!!



Actually, I like it. There's a lot that Mr. Russo and I have in common and that's one of the essential factors of a good marriage. With Camilla and Charles, she has a lot of things as well that she shares with him. It's not like she lied to him about loving the outdoors and fishing and playing polo, she genuinely likes it.
  #785  
Old 05-19-2008, 08:45 PM
Moonmaiden23's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Los Angeles, United States
Posts: 6,460
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay286 View Post
I think you're right that they have a happy marriage, and you can infer that from their public behaviour, but I still think people have to remember that a judgment can only go so far based on what you publicly see of people. Sometimes I think that unpleasant stories about Charles and Camilla's married life, and/or individual behaviour, are going to come out after both of them pass away (hopefully many decades from now) and the same people who said "see, Diana's public image was just a facade and totally inaccurate" are going to say "I don't believe a word of it because Charles and Camilla looked happy in public." The full story about people never comes out until their lives are over, and never even then.

No kidding....take my own family! To outsiders we looked like the perfect family. Beautiful Mom, Dad with a prestige job, attractive bright children, lovely brick colonial house in the suburbs. My teachers were always holding me up as some marvel of successful middle class upbringing. In truth, our family was as chaotic and dysfunctional as it gets... I look at photos of us now and I shake my head in disbelief. We could have been in a TV commercial...we were so beautiful and "normal".

Another good example is JFK and Jackie Kennedy. I am not old enough to remember that Presidency but looking at photos, they appeared to be a gorgeous idealized American family. Beautiful couple with beautiful children who lived in beautiful homes and took perfect vacations and hung around glamourous people. Learning about their incredibly complex and difficult relationship(see "America's Queen" by Sarah Bradford for those of you who insist on a quoted source) was really a revelation.

The late Princess of Wales's tragedy is that she never learned how to hide her feelings and didnt seem to want to try. She was that rare type of aristocrat who let it all hang it and while that was appealing to the masses
and part of her huge appeal, it didn't go over well at all within the Royal family and her social circle...it just was not done that way.

So I am saying that the Duke and Duchess of Cornwall might in fact be quite content together...considering all the pain that was involved in finally getting them together I hope they are. But we cannot know for sure simply by how they appear in public. It's not that simple.
  #786  
Old 05-20-2008, 04:22 AM
Jo of Palatine's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Munich, Germany
Posts: 3,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaDreamin View Post
So I am saying that the Duke and Duchess of Cornwall might in fact be quite content together...considering all the pain that was involved in finally getting them together I hope they are. But we cannot know for sure simply by how they appear in public. It's not that simple.
The question is IMHO whether you believe in fairytales or not. People who live together in close relationships have all their own problems with each other. Even in marriages who appear to be "made in heaven" it happens that both are developping their personality and find that they have to accommodate new developments, opinions, wishes and behaviour that wasn't there before. How they deal with this "growing" is, viewed from the later perspective of the historian in case of prominent couples, up to interpretation.

But - for Charles and Camilla speaks the information from the Dimbleby-book about their relationship - note that Charles agreed to all the statements in Dimbleby's book before it was published, so this is how Charles sees it, too:

From page 277:

Her (Camilla's) warmth, her lack of ambition or guile, her good humour and her gentleness endeared her to the (Royal) household.The Prince had come to regard her as his best friend, in whom, more than in any other, he could totally confide. She was, as he would later explain, his "touchstone" and his "sounding board". They were not often alone together but they talked frequently and at length on the telephone, and in the process their feelings for each other grew in strength and intensity to the point where their deep freindship could properly be described as "love".

Page 293 - description of his honeymoon with Diana:

"When he was not sailing and bathing, he sat in the sun reading from a selection of books provided for him by van der Post (a philosopher-guru of the prince at that time)." From a letter he wrote on that honeymoon:
"Diana dashes about chatting up all the sailors and the cooks in the galley etc. while I remain hermit-like on the verandah-deck, sunk with pure joy into one of Laurens van der Post's books..."

And here's a pic from his recent cruise in the Carribean with Camilla, his "touchstone":

http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/200...02_468x310.jpg

Somehow I'm not afraid of what the world will find out about their marriage after their demise. If after so many years a pic like this is possible, I believe all is well with them.
__________________
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
  #787  
Old 05-20-2008, 04:29 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Canada, Canada
Posts: 1,062
That is a lot of proof that they're happy together.

I wasn't thinking that people would discover Charles and Camilla had an unhappy marriage, actually--eg. I'm not anticipating stories about fights and misery behind the scenes! I had something much more subtle in mind. I wouldn't make sweeping statements about fairytales and happy endings because back in the days of Charles and Diana people did so, and they turned out to be completely wrong. I don't feel I know that much about Charles and Camilla really, and I have two such inconsistent pictures of them (eg. Camilla calling her first husband "it" yet being very loyal to Charles) that I feel I still haven't got the big picture. So I while I have absolutely no reason to doubt that they're very happy, I don't want to make too many conclusions about this relationship.

To go back on topic about how my opinion of Camilla has changed...I saw her outfit at Peter's wedding and I remembered that a few years ago I found her very unattractive. And now I think that while Camilla isn't particularly attractive, she usually looks very nice and knows how to dress perfectly for the occasion. She actually reminds me of the Queen in that characteristic.
  #788  
Old 05-20-2008, 11:21 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 589
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo of Palatine View Post

And here's a pic from his recent cruise in the Carribean with Camilla, his "touchstone":

http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/200...02_468x310.jpg

Somehow I'm not afraid of what the world will find out about their marriage after their demise. If after so many years a pic like this is possible, I believe all is well with them.
I think the photo is not a recent one. However I have no objection about the description about their relationships with stablitiy,warmth and harmony. Yes they are and they have always given me this impression when I paid interest in their news.

I don't have much reserves about their relationships except possible clashes of personalies occasionally. It is normal because even my parents have experienced these throught their marriage. The most important thing is that Prince Charles and Camilla have their strengths of affections to find solutions for those clashes and keeping their relationships going.

I only hope that we can see Camilla more in her public events.
  #789  
Old 05-20-2008, 11:33 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Melbourne & Sydney, Australia
Posts: 3,978
Quote:
we were so beautiful...
And modest, too...

As for Camilla and Charles! It's enjoyable to look at photographs when you know, even without knowing them personally, that they are friends aswell as husband and wife. My parents have been married a long time and have, as is the case with any couple, gone through some hard times, but they stuck through it together and sorted what needed to be sorted which makes the happier times all the more satisfying.

As for spousal support. My parents have always supported one another and gone to any event or function the other is invited too. Naturally, the other is normally invited too, but my father has interests (the stock market, sport, gym work) my mother doesn't, and my mother has interests (shopping, gardening, shopping, jewellery, shopping) that my father doesn't much care for. Yet they support each other because showing you care is an unmistakable expression of your committment to them. At the end of the day, my parents would be lost without one another, and they know it.

They are definitly suited down to the grown, Camilla and Charles. Of that there could be no doubt!
__________________

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
  #790  
Old 05-22-2008, 03:01 PM
Skydragon's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: London and Highlands, United Kingdom
Posts: 10,945
There must be a new poll due out, I have just been asked my opinion on who I want to succeed (they clearly don't know how it works) and what I want Camilla to be called. I'm guessing you can't imagine my answers!
  #791  
Old 12-23-2008, 10:47 PM
bertie5252003's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 3,199
Even after all this time I still have never warmed to Camilla... it still says to me behave badly and all will be well for you moderators you can delete this if you think it too much all over again but I just wanted to have my say finally about her.
  #792  
Old 12-23-2008, 11:23 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: katonah, United States
Posts: 2,582
I agree bertie. I have on many occasions tried to point out that some people dislike Charles and/or Camilla because of their own actions. But somehow it seems to get sloughed off as 'the rabid Diana fans....', when it's not about the 1st wife at all.
  #793  
Old 12-24-2008, 05:35 AM
chaimae's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Tetouan, Morocco
Posts: 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by bertie5252003 View Post
Even after all this time I still have never warmed to Camilla... it still says to me behave badly and all will be well for you moderators you can delete this if you think it too much all over again but I just wanted to have my say finally about her.
i think you are free to say what you think it s your vue point .
me too i never like Diana .
but camilla i was and i stell a big fan of this women
  #794  
Old 12-24-2008, 08:41 AM
muriel's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: London / Guildford, United Kingdom
Posts: 6,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter View Post
I agree bertie. I have on many occasions tried to point out that some people dislike Charles and/or Camilla because of their own actions. But somehow it seems to get sloughed off as 'the rabid Diana fans....', when it's not about the 1st wife at all.
whats your point, scooter?
  #795  
Old 12-24-2008, 09:18 AM
Jo of Palatine's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Munich, Germany
Posts: 3,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter View Post
I agree bertie. I have on many occasions tried to point out that some people dislike Charles and/or Camilla because of their own actions.
But then these people probably like noone at all, because I can see few people who are "better" than those two. We are all sinners under The Lord's rules! Merry christmas to you all, for His son, the reedeemer was born on this time.
__________________
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
  #796  
Old 12-24-2008, 10:31 AM
Idriel's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: around, France
Posts: 1,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo of Palatine View Post
I can see few people who are "better" than those two.
Umm. Have a little faith in Mankind!

Merry christmas to all.
__________________

  #797  
Old 12-24-2008, 10:36 AM
Skydragon's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: London and Highlands, United Kingdom
Posts: 10,945
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter View Post
I agree bertie. I have on many occasions tried to point out that some people dislike Charles and/or Camilla because of their own actions. But somehow it seems to get sloughed off as 'the rabid Diana fans....', when it's not about the 1st wife at all.
I really fail to see what this has to do with Camillas current events! But with the full knowledge that it will be deleted from this thread I will reply to your post repeating the same old same old from you. You hold his ex wife up as lady wonderful, when in fact she committed her own 'actions' (repeatedly with numerous partners, some married, engaged or otherwise spoken for) and unless you have absolute proof, it is only your opinion that the ex wife only indulged after her husband. So if it's not about the first wife (ex wife), surely you should be on the ex wifes thread condemning her!
  #798  
Old 12-27-2008, 03:51 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: katonah, United States
Posts: 2,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
I really fail to see what this has to do with Camillas current events! But with the full knowledge that it will be deleted from this thread I will reply to your post repeating the same old same old from you. You hold his ex wife up as lady wonderful, when in fact she committed her own 'actions' (repeatedly with numerous partners, some married, engaged or otherwise spoken for) and unless you have absolute proof, it is only your opinion that the ex wife only indulged after her husband. So if it's not about the first wife (ex wife), surely you should be on the ex wifes thread condemning her!
I do not hold his first wife up as Lady Wonderful. Please cut and paste where I have done so. I simply point out that if anyone does not like Charles or camilla on the basis of their own actions we get sloughed off as Diana Loonies which you have just done right there. It's not about the first wife. Some of the things I dont like them for were before Diana came onto the scene, even though we did not learn about them until after the fact. As far as absolute proof, would you consider a copy of the Camillagate transcript sufficient proof? Where Camilla refers to her husband APB as 'it' and hopes that the hospital strike continues and Charles and Camilla plan which of their friends house they can commit adultery in?
  #799  
Old 12-27-2008, 05:05 PM
Russophile's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Portland, United States
Posts: 4,071
And that's water under the bridge as far as I'm concerned. Charles and Camilla make a terrific team, they support each other and compliment each other greatly. Most of all, they make each other happy.
  #800  
Old 12-27-2008, 06:10 PM
Skydragon's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: London and Highlands, United Kingdom
Posts: 10,945
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter View Post
I simply point out that if anyone does not like Charles or camilla on the basis of their own actions we get sloughed off as Diana Loonies which you have just done right there.
Where precisely have I used the word loonies, you read much into my posts that has never been written or even inferred! I have merely pointed out the argument some seem to come up with (she only did it because Charles had sex with Camilla first), cannot in any way be proven!
Quote:
It's not about the first wife. Some of the things I dont like them for were before Diana came onto the scene, even though we did not learn about them until after the fact.
So you don't like them, for what, before Diana came on the scene, most people knew/know very little about their relationship pre Diana as neither they nor their friends have spoken about it.
Quote:
As far as absolute proof, would you consider a copy of the Camillagate transcript sufficient proof? Where Camilla refers to her husband APB as 'it' and hopes that the hospital strike continues and Charles and Camilla plan which of their friends house they can commit adultery in?
Nobody, afaik, has denied they committed adultery but it seems to be hard work for some, to admit that Diana also committed adultery, not just with one partner but with a variety. And whilst you are always happy to mention the Camillagate tape, you seem to gloss over the squidgygate tape and the sex noises being made, even the title says a lot!
__________________

Closed Thread

Tags
camilla, duchess of cornwall, prince charles, prince of wales, relationships, royal duties


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall: Visit to Portugal - March 28-30, 2011 Princess Agnes The Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall 45 04-06-2011 08:24 PM
Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall Current Events 12: February-March 2006 Elspeth Current Events Archive 203 03-08-2006 12:30 PM




Popular Tags
ascot 2016 best gown best gown september 2016 best hat best outfit catherine middleton style coup d'etat crown prince haakon crown princess mary crown princess mary fashion crown princess mette-marit current events duchess of cambridge dutch state visit e-mail fashion poll grand duke jean greece haakon kate middleton king abdullah ii king abdullah in australia king felipe king felipe vi king willem-alexander madeleine member introduction monarchy new zealand nobel gala norway november 2016 october 2016 opening of parliament picture of the week prince bernhard prince charles princess madeleine princess marie princess mary princess mary daytime fashion princess mary fashion princess mary hats queen elizabeth ii queen letizia queen letizia casual outfits queen letizia daytime fashion queen letizia fashion queen letizia style queen mathilde queen mathildes outfits queen maxima queen maxima casual wear queen maxima daytime fashion queen maxima fashion queen maxima hats queen maxima style queen rania royal fashion september 2016 sheikh hamdan bin mohammed state visit state visit to denmark succession sweden the duchess of cambridge the duchess of cambridge casual wear the duchess of cambridge daytime fashion the duchess of cambridge fashion the duchess of cambridge hats


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:48 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2016
Jelsoft Enterprises