Charles & Camilla: How has your opinion changed since the wedding?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:previous: The comparisons in Australia have been somewhat 'subtle' in comparison to the US and UK.

I saw this clip several times during the coverage of the wedding and I know I saw a smirk on Prince Charles' face. To me he was very obviously being tongue-in-cheek about the engagement. I think he gets along very well with his now daughter-in-law and was probably very happy and most likely aided and abetted her with all the planning of the specific flowers and trees they used for the wedding.

I'm sure there was a smirk. I just think there's a time and a place for everything - and the other parents were so joyful. My point was that for many people, that's all they're going to remember of Charles and this wedding - which, if that's fine with him, then no problem.

I do think he seems to be so thoroughly comfortable inside his royal position (as he should be, by now) that he doesn't care what others think (also a good trait, in his position). But it doesn't necessary make him very likable, at least at first glance.

I admire the man a great deal, and would like to see more of his actual sense of humor (or of his personality), but I guess he keeps that for his family and friends.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I actually kind of like Camilla now! I've never disliked or hated her but I didn't like her either...she was stuck in limbo for me.

This wedding (Will & Kates) has shown me a side of her I've never seen. She knows she came into the BRF with a bad name but I love how she's working hard to prove all the naysayers wrong.

Last edited:
Has my opinion changed since the Charles and Camilla Wedding?

My opinion hasn't changed since their wedding. My opinion can't change, since it is based on the fact that they should have got married, many years ago, when they were both still free to do so. They didn't, and then both ended up committing adultery with each other, causing misery for others, after Charles married a girl he had no business marrying. Charles and Camilla may very well be soul-mates, but their love and cheating caused untold harm.

I admire the man a great deal, and would like to see more of his actual sense of humor (or of his personality), but I guess he keeps that for his family and friends.

I understand what you are saying. I think I have gone from loathing Camilla to indifference. I have always felt a special bond between Diana, the Princess of Wales even before I knew we were related.

As for Charles, I never really hated him but did not like him very much for the same reason as I noted above. However, the more I have been able to see Charles speak and the interaction with his sons and the more I have gotten to "know" him, I like him more and wish he would make more public appearances where he talks to the audience. He is quite intelligent and quite witty and I would like to see more of that. Of course, he has said positive things about my faith when discussing the matter and that places him in good graces with me.

Yes, in his speech he called her the daughter he never had so I agree with you Osipi- he's not the most outwardly public emotional figure but believe him to be thrilled with his sons and new daughter in law :)

I actually thought that he was quite emotional, but trying to hide it. When the bridal couple were in the carriage preparing to leave, there were two photos of him, one looking at William in the carriage and one looking, it appears at the back of the carriage. IMHO, he was quite emotional and trying to contain himself. (Website, Zimbio).

This is a man that music moves to tears, and by the way, the music of the wedding was outstanding, thanks to the Prince of Wales.

I actually thought that he was quite emotional, but trying to hide it. When the bridal couple were in the carriage preparing to leave, there were two photos of him, one looking at William in the carriage and one looking, it appears at the back of the carriage. IMHO, he was quite emotional and trying to contain himself. (Website, Zimbio).

This is a man that music moves to tears, and by the way, the music of the wedding was outstanding, thanks to the Prince of Wales.

I agree it was an emotional day for Prince Charles. I don't think I've ever seen him publicly greet his mother with kisses on both cheeks before. Philip smooched Camilla at the same time. I found that very very touching.

Now that they have been married for a few years, I believe that Prince Charles and the Duchess are happy and exactly where they should have been in the first place. I will never wholly respect them, but as I am not an offspring of the Prince, a British subject, or God, that doesn't really matter:). I, do however, realize that both Charles and Camilla were put in rough situations and acted as many of their ancestors had been doing for almost a thousand years, which is marrying someone you have to and loving someone you can't marry. LOL. Mistakes were made, but I do feel that Charles, IMO has rectified a lot of this by being a good parent and support for Harry and William since they lost their mother, who I hold to much esteem but recognize that homegirl had some serious issues and was not without fault.

The Duchess seems to fit splendidly with the RF and dare I say it's because she is more age appropriate for Charles. They are each other's contemporaries and would have plenty to discuss and share with one another. And after all the drama they've been through apart from one another, they still managed to be together. So I suppose they are soul mates. And certainly, as Her Majesty's reign is in its twilight (though I pray she lives for another twenty years and this issue is bypassed all together!) we would want Charles as future king to be happy and well supported by his Queen. I think Diana, is looking down, very happy that her children and former family have found the happiness and peace that perhaps she could not obtain on earth; for upon entering heaven, no one carries the trials and bitterness of their human life with them.

The only criticism I've had of the Duchess these past few years came about on Friday when she wore that awful dress which did nothing to flatter her figure, which is rather nice. I did love the hat tough.

flatter her figure, which is rather nice

Nice? That's the first time I've ever known someone to refer to her figure as 'nice' :)

Imo, the Duchess has one of the worst shapes to dress. She dresses most unflattering when it comes to evening wear on the whole, and unfortunately for her her posture is dreadful and her neck appears hunched which often makes it look as though she's got an invisible weight on her forehead which is tipping her over (which I personally think has something to do with her chest. She appears quite top heavy).

Last edited:
Nice? That's the first time I've ever known someone to refer to her figure as 'nice' :)

Imo, the Duchess has one of the worst shapes to dress. She dresses most unflattering when it comes to evening wear on the whole, and unfortunately for her her posture is dreadful and her neck appears hunched which often makes it look as though she's got an invisible weight on her forehead which is tipping her over (which I personally think has something to do with her chest. She appears quite top heavy).
Yes Camilla has an ample bust but I also wonder how much the family history of osteoporosis comes into play.

:previous: Your guess is as good as mine. Hopefully for HRH sake, it isn't related to the said disease.

My opinion hasn't changed since their wedding. My opinion can't change, since it is based on the fact that they should have got married, many years ago, when they were both still free to do so. They didn't, and then both ended up committing adultery with each other, causing misery for others, after Charles married a girl he had no business marrying. Charles and Camilla may very well be soul-mates, but their love and cheating caused untold harm.

I believe they would have married way back when. However, HM would not consent. If there has to be any blame for the course of that history, it has to be squarely placed on the shoulders of the traditions of the time and HM.

My opinion hasn't really changed. I always admired the way Camilla said nothing under the barrage of criticism, and I think she has continued to be discreet and dignified now she and Charles are married. I doubt if she particularly likes the limelight, but she is always graceful in it.
Yes, she and Charles should have got maried in the first place, and saved everyone a whole lot of grief. But we all make mistakes, I was free to marry whoever I wanted and still got it horribly wrong - twice. They seem like such a nice relaxed couple, I'm glad they are finally married.

Well, I was trying to be diplomatic. I am not a fan of Camilla at all. I mean, I think she's great for Charles and clearly, she's not the youingish figure that she was when she first caught his eyes, but she's not a sore sport either. Well at least no in the figure deparment. It could be must worse. I think personally if she stuck to outfits that flattered her figure she would be okay. Look at her when she first became engaged and all those nice thigns she wore back then. :)

I believe they would have married way back when. However, HM would not consent. If there has to be any blame for the course of that history, it has to be squarely placed on the shoulders of the traditions of the time and HM.

What was the reason that the Queen wouldn't have consented to the marriage back then? Because she wasn't...um...the blushing flawless lady (such as Diana)? Sometimes it seems like most of the heartaches (Prince Charles, Princess Anne and Diana) in the Royal Family wouldn't have occurred if Prince Charles had married Camilla back then??

Besides I thought the reason they didn't get merried was Prince Charles didn't ask her to wait for him when he went off on his Naval career?

I am not sure it even got that far. From what I recall Lord Mountbatten didn't think Camilla passed the required pure test as she had past affairs with men. Not counting the fact, that he (Mountbatten) was favoring his granddaughter as a future Princess. So the Queen might have known about Camilla but I don't think official permission was asked.

Something must not have happened (an agreement beween Charles and Camilla) as she was dating other people (as was he). He went away for a Navy exercise (or something similiar) and Camilla and Andrew got married in the interim.

I never heard anything about Anne being that serious about Andrew Parker Bowles. I just think she fell in love with Mark and like most marriages...they found themselves drifting apart. I certainly don't put her in the Margaret/Diana category of lost love.

I definitely think Charles and Camilla loved each other in the past, but I don't think it became the consuming and everlasting love that it is now. But they definitely cared for each other and it changed to something deeper as both of their marriages fell apart.

And we have to remember that attitdues in 2011 are VERY MUCH different than the early 70's when all of this was happening. So we shouldn't judge those times with the same viewpoints that we have now. Back then it was inconceiveable that the Future Queen of England could have a past. Hope that makes sense.

Last edited:
I dont like Camilla now,or ever,and she and charles should have done the decent thing and moved to another country,as his great uncle did,and i believe that if Camilla ever becomes queen ,the monarchy will be to weakened to survive,and for charles to ever become head of the Church of England is an outrage.
Loose morals are nothing to be proud of .

Nobody's perfect and the history of royalty is filled with the history of "loose morals." I have to say they really bothered me, back at the beginning of their relationship (there are probably youngsters here who don't know the details of those phone calls that the paparazzi got hold of, but it was awful).

But Camilla seems to have a genuinely open and happy personality, much needed to balance Charles's more dour public persona (IMO).

Charles and Camilla seem like they are meant for each other, and can jointly face life the duties of life together. Charles definitely seems happy and proud of her. They made their mistakes, but I think they paid in the worst way possible short of public pillory.

I dont like Camilla now,or ever,and she and charles should have done the decent thing and moved to another country,as his great uncle did,and i believe that if Camilla ever becomes queen ,the monarchy will be to weakened to survive,and for charles to ever become head of the Church of England is an outrage.
Loose morals are nothing to be proud of .

Big difference between the moral situation in 1936 than that of the situation in 2005. Loose morals how so?
You seem to have a very narrow minded opinion of marriage and love IMO. Should Charles have stayed with Diana to keep his morals intact? Or should he never have fallend in love with another woman? Is there a problem with love? You cannot help who you love. Charles and Camilla did the decent thing by admitting their love to the world and marrying for the whole nation to see. Looks like most of the nation have accepted Camilla, seems like you haven't.

Charles and Camilla did the decent thing by admitting their love to the world and marrying for the whole nation to see. Looks like most of the nation have accepted Camilla, seems like you haven't.

Nice to know that. Cause from some interviews I've seen it seems that even if the majority is ok with her being a member of the BRF, they are still kind of reluctant once the "Would you want her to be Queen?" question is asked, (even if there's not a voting system about this matter, really). Well, at the end the old saying "Time is the master of all things" will always be right on spot. Just remembering how their relationship was received 10 years ago, and look how it changed now :flowers:

Last edited:
Accepted her in the sense that she can go out on a public occasion and people don't shout abuse at her. Well I don't think they do ;)
I personally think, people have seen what she has done for Charles and how she represents the country in an elegant and graceful manner, and they like it.
The issue of her being named Queen is a different matter, for me it's a question that has been "brushed under the carpet" time and time again because politicians aren't ready to handle the backlash if they put their name down on one side or the other.
They should say now or in the next year or so, Yes or No to the "Queen question" then the people have time to adjust just like they have now. This is how I see it.

Big difference between the moral situation in 1936 than that of the situation in 2005. Loose morals how so?
You seem to have a very narrow minded opinion of marriage and love IMO. Should Charles have stayed with Diana to keep his morals intact? Or should he never have fallend in love with another woman? Is there a problem with love? You cannot help who you love. Charles and Camilla did the decent thing by admitting their love to the world and marrying for the whole nation to see. Looks like most of the nation have accepted Camilla, seems like you haven't.

We have to remember too that over the years prior to their admitted affair (after the marriage had broken down between Charles and Diana and the same with Camilla and APB), Camilla and Charles shared a deep friendship that endured through the decades. It was a friendship strong enough to be just that... an intimate close friendship.. where I do think both Camilla and Charles remained faithful to their respective spouses. When things go bad, who do you turn to? Your best friends. It was only after they both realized that their respective marriages weren't as they should be that they realized that they were IN love with each other

There have been many times its been quoted as Diana saying "there were three of us in the marriage". I can see where Camilla even just being a close friend and confidant at that point to Diana would seem as a threat to her. But that's back then.

One reason I do think that Charles and Camilla have such a good relationship with each other now is because of all the years they have spent together and building and cementing a relationship in a lot of ways. From casual dating to close friends as couples (Charles, Camilla and Andrew mostly), to confiding in each other the woes of their relationships and finally to finding love with each other. To me there isn't anything "loose" about either one of them. Also, I believe that if things had been different and Diana could have accepted the fact that Camilla was a friend and Camilla's marriage to APB was a strong one, we'd still be seeing Camilla and Charles as great friends. It just didn't happen that way. They're together now and very well suited to each other and most importantly, happy.

Also, I believe that if things had been different and Diana could have accepted the fact that Camilla was a friend and Camilla's marriage to APB was a strong one, we'd still be seeing Camilla and Charles as great friends. It just didn't happen that way. They're together now and very well suited to each other and most importantly, happy.

I don't think that Diana and Charles' marriage would have lasted at all but I do think that if Diana could have understood that men can have friends who are women without there being anything more to it then their marriage might have taken a different turn.

Diana was convinced from before she walked down the aisle to say 'I will' that Charles loved someone else and that became a self-fulfilling prophecy whereby she drove him from her with her paranoia about a friend who had been his friend for a decade when Charles and Diana married.

Ha! I'm not the biggest Diana fan but in fairness her paranoia was absolutly correct- he loved Camilla as the present marriage between the 2 shows. There marriage may have legally lasted had she done as other women and turned a blind eye but that shouldn't have been required of her ....She was perfect in the marriage and had her issue but she wasn't wrong about her husband loving another woman

Last edited by a moderator:
Let's not rehash the Diana/Charles/Camilla triangle.

How has your opinion changed since the wedding?

I have always felt that the public have been very critical of Camilla and I really do sypmathise with her to a certain degree about it. I have often seen very derogatory comments about Camilla on YouTube and I feel such disgust and empathy for the poor woman. It is so sad that she has always been villfied in public as the woman who broke the royal marriage. In my opinion, they were always in love right from 1970 when they first met, it is such a tragedy that Charles was not allowed to marry her because of whatever Christian denomination she was or because of her sexual history, sadly, it was this fact that led to so much grief for everyone in Charles' family and also everyone in Camilla's family. Spare a thought for Andrew Parker Bowles who bore just as much grief as Diana. I felt that it was only right that Charles married Camilla after so long, it would be unfitting for them not to celebrate their incessant love for one another through marriage. With the permission of the moderators I would just like to make one very brief reference to the late princess and say that I can say with conviction that after so long even she would be very pleased to see that her ex-husband and father of her two children is now truly happy with life. For it was in her character to seek happiness from seeing others happy.

As years go by I am either, "liking" Camilla or having respect for her. Charles and Camilla have loved each other for 4 decades and I do believe she is like a Wallis Simpson or Elizabeth Bowes Lyon type who makes her man stronger and supports them in a way few others could. It's easy to say they should have gotten married back in the 70s; I myself have even said it, but there are 4 children who would not have existed if Charles and Camilla married back then.

Life happens and for me, all things do happen for a reason. To talk about Charles and Camilla now and how our opinions have changed or whatever, its near impossible to leave out the effects and whatnot of previous marriages. Zonk, I'm sorry but to get a full opinion of why and how opinions change, we have to include the full scope of the relationship from the 70s until now. Oh I get it now.. has your opinion changed since the wedding.. OOOPS. Perhaps another thread where the long term relationship could be discussed?

I agree with you though because what a person's opinion was at the time of the wedding would have been coloured by their opinion of the events leading up to the wedding and thus their opinion of the breakdown of the Charles and Diana marriage. Thus to explain why their opinion has changed, for many people, would also mean explaining what formed their attitude in 2005.

rOk.. I came here for hats.. yes hats. Ascot back in 2006. And.. to be really really honest, it was for how outrageous they look. (Bea's hat at the wedding has topped it all) My opinion has changed in a lot of ways since I joined. YOU have taught me a lot. I got to hear things from folks that were not tabloid fodder. Only information I did have prior to coming here was I worked as a cashier and in "down" time would read the rags. I read through the threads about Diana and found out she was human. I read about Camilla and her in the past and the person she is now. I read about Charles and found out he's just not a big set of ears waiting to be King one day.

Yes my opinion changed and it wasn't with the wedding.. it was with knowledge of who these people are. To be honest.. its because these three people were involved so much with each other.. it is a very important part of of why we're even discussing them.

To be honest. if Charles had married anyone else, he would still be great friends with Camilla. That was um... non-negotiable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom