The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 01:19 PM
Commoner

I am also not a supporter of the couple but if they are happy together they should be just let enjoy their company and life.

Old 05-19-2008, 01:23 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuckoo View Post
I think I have got a great change with my opinion to Camilla, I now think she is a great woman and a good wife since she married Prince Charles.
I think the Duchess has more experience and maturity to take the role of let's say a partner of the Prince of Wales. She is also only doing what she has to do and avoiding much public exposure with the support of the staff I guess.

Old 05-19-2008, 02:59 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by inka7 View Post
I think the Duchess has more experience and maturity to take the role of let's say a partner of the Prince of Wales. She is also only doing what she has to do and avoiding much public exposure with the support of the staff I guess.
We must be watching a different woman, as just reading through the threads, it is possible to see how much public exposure she has! Shall we just say WIFE to the Prince of Wales?
Old 05-19-2008, 03:11 PM
Commoner

Wife is one thing, but being the partner of the Prince of Wales in respect to his public duties e.g. support for his work and initiatives is another.

We probably hardly know the Duchess as a wife - unless one of us has met her. And I have not.

I know her as a public figure and except for her charities I do not know her official and personal opinion on let's say global warming. That's why I said "partner" because just the word "wife" refers to something else.

She has supported his word not just as a wife but as a partner.
Old 05-19-2008, 03:27 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
I know her as a public figure and except for her charities I do not know her official and personal opinion on let's say global warming.
I think the way we see her ´working´ in public at official duties, together with the Prince and also alone, and her patronages and charities shows a lot about her personlity and her opiniones.
You can read here in the threads much about her and also if you open the Pow website:
(So maybe you will understand what i mean)

The Prince of Wales - Charities and Patronages
Old 05-19-2008, 03:48 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Wife is one thing, but being the partner of the Prince of Wales in respect to his public duties e.g. support for his work and initiatives is another.
On that we will have to disagree. To truly be a wife, support in many areas, (beliefs, ideals, work) is a major factor.
Old 05-19-2008, 03:58 PM
Commoner

If my husband likes car racing (that's not his main hobby) but I hate the noise, the hectic, the crazyness of this sport as an individual I have the choice not to go and not to support him. I did not pledge by marrying him I will be going to all those crazy for me events. I have nothing against him going and nothing against the sport - it is just not my cup of tea.

A partner is someone who is also into that....the Duchess is not just the wife, she is the buddy, she goes a long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
On that we will have to disagree. To truly be a wife, support in many areas, (beliefs, ideals, work) is a major factor.
Old 05-19-2008, 04:05 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
If my husband likes car racing (that's not his main hobby) but I hate the noise, the hectic, the crazyness of this sport as an individual I have the choice not to go and not to support him. I did not pledge by marrying him I will be going to all those crazy for me events. I have nothing against him going and nothing against the sport - it is just not my cup of tea.

A partner is someone who is also into that....the Duchess is not just the wife, she is the buddy, she goes a long.
That of course is your choice, but if this is something he really enjoys, it would help to have his partner by his side to celebrate when he wins or commiserate when he loses. There is nothing quite like being 'there' at the time, whether you enjoy the sport or not.
Old 05-19-2008, 04:13 PM
Commoner

But that's why he also has his other friends, his partners.

As a wife I obligatory go where I have to go to support him.

And that's what I meant by partner initially ... We do not know the duchess as a wife, the way she is at home or privately with the Prince of Wales.

We know her officially....

as a partner. In her situation she doesn't have that much freedom.

A man/wife is a more tender relationship than what we see in public.
Old 05-19-2008, 04:14 PM
Commoner

It will help to have his wife at his side who can chose to go or not to go.

A partner goes.
Old 05-19-2008, 04:29 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
It will help to have his wife at his side who can chose to go or not to go.
A partner goes.
Then you have answered your own criticism of Camilla.
Things must be different in your country, here a wife and/or partner can choose whether to attend or not, even a royal wife, Marriage is/should be a partnership, IMO.
Old 05-19-2008, 04:30 PM

Exactly. Marriage isn't the total sacrifice of oneself to the other's will. There has to be an independance to it or else it's all too clingy and it ends up in disaster. As we've already seen...
Old 05-19-2008, 04:30 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Things must be different in your country, here a wife and/or partner can choose whether to attend or not, even a royal wife, Marriage is/should be a partnership, IMO.
I have to say that even though I live in the same country as Inka, I don't get her meaning at all. So it's definately not different in Germany.
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 05-19-2008, 04:37 PM

Well Camilla chose for herself. She wasn't forced into anything. She remains her own woman as well as being a wife, mother and consort.
Old 05-19-2008, 04:38 PM
Commoner

The Duchess cannot chose not to attend something she is obliged to attend as a wife - that's what I was saying.

And we do not know her as a wife.

The public doesn't know her as a wife.

Quote:
Old 05-19-2008, 04:39 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Then Things must be different in your country,
Noooooo, luckily not !!!
( Jo´s and my marriages seem to be the best examples...)
Old 05-19-2008, 04:49 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan View Post
Exactly. Marriage isn't the total sacrifice of oneself to the other's will. There has to be an independence to it or else it's all too clingy and it ends up in disaster. As we've already seen...
Marriage is easy, as long as he does everything I tell him too! As Abba said
Quote:
Her man is one I admire, He's so courageous but he's constantly tired, Each time when he speaks his mind, She pats his head and says, ÒK that's all very fine
Exert that will of your own, When you're alone
, Now we'd better hurry

Quote:
Originally Posted by milla Ca View Post
Noooooo, luckily not !!!
( Jo´s and my marriages seem to be the best examples...)
I am relieved to know that, along with some other very dear German friends!
Old 05-19-2008, 06:02 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
But that's why he also has his other friends, his partners.

As a wife I obligatory go where I have to go to support him.

And that's what I meant by partner initially ... We do not know the duchess as a wife, the way she is at home or privately with the Prince of Wales.

We know her officially....

as a partner. In her situation she doesn't have that much freedom.

A man/wife is a more tender relationship than what we see in public.
I don't know why everyone is having so much trouble understanding this. It makes sense to me. Appearing in public is the "job" of members of the royal family. In private life, most people don't accompany their spouses on their jobs. Royal spouses are expected to.

We know a fair bit about the public lives of Charles and Camilla as "working partners" in their royal duties. We know very little about their private life at home as husband and wife. Yes, they are also husband and wife in public, but in public we only see a small aspect of their lives. If my mom and dad worked together in public, they wouldn't act identically to the way they act at home. Public behaviour is never a full and fair representation of private behaviour.
Old 05-19-2008, 06:04 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay286 View Post
I don't know why everyone is having so much trouble understanding this. It makes sense to me. Appearing in public is the "job" of members of the royal family. In private life, most people don't accompany their spouses on their jobs. Royal spouses are expected to.

We know a fair bit about the public lives of Charles and Camilla as "working partners" in their royal duties. We know very little about their private life at home as husband and wife. Yes, they are also husband and wife in public, but in public we only see a small aspect of their lives.

I understand you perfectly. And I happen to agree with you. This goes not only for married Royals but for all couples in the spotlight, by the way.
Old 05-19-2008, 06:29 PM
Royal Highness

I believe that they must have an excellent marriage--filled with positive interactions (not to say that they don't argue because all married couples do) but the proof is in the pudding. Look at how well they get along and play off each other in public. He looks relaxed (whereas he did not in his previous marriage) and they simply complement one another. They have an ease about their relationship; you can plainly see that there is a mutual respect and affection between that most likely transcends over into public life from their private lives.

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Closed Thread

Tags
camilla, duchess of cornwall, prince charles, prince of wales, relationships, royal duties