Charles & Camilla: How has your opinion changed since the wedding?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems as if most people have just accepted and moved on. It is hard to forget Diana, and as time passes, her legacy becomes sweeter. After Queen Elizabeth accepted Camilla, so did most of the public.

Oh I quite agree.

Yeah, I love Diana too but Camilla and Charles aren't doing anything to taint her memory so I can't say much. They do seem happy and they are doing a lot of appearances.

If "PC" means Princess Camilla, she isn't a Princess. She's Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall or Camilla, Princess of Wales.[/QUOTE]

She is actually neither of those as the styles you are using are those of a divorced ex-wife of a peer - ala Diana, Princess of Wales from her divorce until her death and Sarah, Duchess of York since her divorce.

She is HRH The Princess Charles, The Duchess of Cornwall, The Princess of Wales etc. with no Camilla in there.

She is of course not Princess Camilla - as you say - just as Diana was never Princess Diana.

In the BRF women not born Princesses don't become a princess with their own name but take their husband's name e.g. HRH Princess Michael of Kent rather than Princess Christine.

Last edited by a moderator:
I always knew that she was never Princess Diana. She was Diana, Princess of Wales after her divorce. Who started calling her Princess Diana, anyway? Is it the American Press?

I'm glad it is Camilla, The Duchess of Cornwall and I don't hear Duchess Camilla.

I always love Diana, but I am happy for Prince Charles and The Duchess of Cornwall. You knew when something last this very long despite everything they've been through could only mean- One True Love. I'm glad they got each other now, no more hiding and denying. Wish them all the best!

I think that it was because she was known as "Lady Diana" for so long that it seemed natural, although misled, to call her "Princess Diana" after her marriage. She had become so known to the public that it would have seemed strange to refer to her as The Princess of Wales. I remember that, before her and Charles's marriage, Princess of Wales sounded strange to me; but of course we got used to it.

I don't think that I've ever heard Camilla referred to as "Duchess Camilla" though. Of course, she was known simply as Camilla or Camilla Parker-Bowles. She wasn't Lady Camilla.

I always knew that she was never Princess Diana. She was Diana, Princess of Wales after her divorce. Who started calling her Princess Diana, anyway? Is it the American Press

Last edited:
Well of course it was the media who started it.. and it was ALL the media. And what I mean by that is, there is only SO much space on a magazine cover.. so they used "Princess Diana" and everyone knew who they were talking about.

It would have become quite difficult to always use "HRH The Princess of Wales", or "The Princess of Wales" on those covers.

Once they used "Princess Diana", it caught on and everyone began using the moniker to refer to her.

They've done the same thing with other wives of heirs..

HRH The Crown Princess of Denmark is commonly called "Princess Mary"
HRH The Princess of Asturias is commonly called "Princess Letizia"
HRH Maxima, Princess of the Netherlands, is commonly called "Princess Maxima".. etc, etc.

Besides, I don't consider it a terrible breach to call the wives of heirs "Princess", since for all intents and purposes they are intended to be future Queens.. unless, of course, they divorce the heir.

After Diana's divorce, the media most simply used "Diana", but by then she was a household name. Practically everyone on the planet knew who she was, and the media could sell their newspapers or magazines on the strength of her first name alone.

If Camilla had used her official title, HRH The Princess of Wales, after her marriage to Charles, I'm sure you'd now see her being referred to as "Princess Camilla" in the press. But since she uses the title HRH The Duchess of Cornwall, she is commonly just called Camilla by the media. I have never seen her called "Duchess Camilla" either.

It's an easy transition to call someone "Princess" when that is part of their official title.. and although legally Camilla is The Princess of Wales, since she doesn't use the title, its a little more difficult and/or awkward to call her "Princess" in the media.

Last edited:
But unlike the UK the other CPss are not called by her husbands name :) So it is perfectly alright to call Mary, Maxima, Letizia etc. Princess :)

The more I learn about the European royal families, the more I'm struck by the differences in naming styles and the different rules on inheriting them. It can all be rather confusing for someone living "across the water.":)

But unlike the UK the other CPss are not called by her husbands name :) So it is perfectly alright to call Mary, Maxima, Letizia etc. Princess :)

I'm glad they're happy but I'm not a fan. Oddly, when they were first married I liked her more. And though she hasn't put a foot wrong I'm just not impressed.

Last edited:
The topic of the thread is "Camilla and Charles: How has your opinion changed since the wedding?"
Post offering members' own character studies of the POW and DOC without reference to this question have been and will be removed.

Warren
British Forums moderator

Not really a surprise. It will be interesting to see how he manages this "change".

I have to say that I like Camilla at this point. Clearly PC has relied on her and IMO it is all water under the bridge. Let them live in peace. I find the articles calling for Prince Charles to step aside unecessary and insulting. I also think it would only be fitting for Camilla to be Queen Consort. If she has agreed to Princess Consort so be it.

I am saddened that the press is trying to create a rivalry between Prince Charles and Prince William.

In summary, while I disliked Camilla as she was reportedly not nice to Princess Diana, this was many years ago and I think she has done a good job as the Duchess of Cornwall.

... and I also love the way this woman wears a tiara!!!!

Last edited:
My opinion of her improved a big deal when i saw how she answered the questions about William and Kate. She looked extremly happy and was wery outgoing, unlike the father who sounded less extatic.

My opinion of her improved a big deal when i saw how she answered the questions about William and Kate. She looked extremly happy and was wery outgoing, unlike the father who sounded less extatic.

I noticed that too.

When I actually saw the clip of Prince Charles' response my first thought was how much he reminded me of Prince Phillip. His reign should be interesting to say the least!

I feel the same way as before I do not like them. I feel they are quite selfish .

I feel the same way as before I do not like them. I feel they are quite selfish .

How so? They screwed up, but does that mean they don't deserve to be happy together now? How long should they be "punished" for their "sins"?

I quite agree, "let he who is without sin cast the first stone. "
My feelings for Prince Charles and the Duchess of Cornwall are only friendly and respectful. These feelings have increased since their marriage. I applaud their dignity. I am sure that the Queen regarded Diana as the daughter-in-law from hell!

"I am sure that the Queen regarded Diana as the daughter-in-law from hell! "

Actually the Queen had a good relationship with the Princess up until her death.

My feelings haven't changed at all, I always felt that they were unlucky to be young at a time when the senior RF still had rather rigid ideas about a suitable wife for the heir to the throne. Camilla did not tick all their boxes and Prince Charles would have been aware of that. Had things been a little different .... but it's all if onlys :ermm:

I always admired Camilla's dignity and discretion, and as I expected, she seems to be doing a grand job now and it's nice that more and more people are getting to know her.

A relationship not without its troubles, but I don't believe the Queen disliked Diana as a person. I think she was at a loss and didn't really know how to help, and didn't understand her as well as what she may have liked in order to help, but I don't doubt the Queen cared for Diana at length.

Diana was undoubtedly a complex character. Very much driven by emotion whereas the Queen is quite the opposite.

Well, after the recent events (yes, since the wedding!) and Charles finally admitting that "Queen" Camilla is in the cards, I have to say this about my opinion having changed:

1. Toward Camilla Parker-Bowles, I find myself moving to a "neutral" position. I'll never warm to someone who so gleefully engaged in cuckolding her own husband, but she seems to be a somewhat working Royal except when the weather doesn't suit her;

2. Charles has gone down in my estimation. His endless pouting is tiresome and now that he finally admits that he lied all along the way about Camilla's titles, role and future status, his behaviour just makes me loathe him - moving from considering him just silly and pendatic to an active seeker of ridicule. He's always been a polished dissembler but he makes fools of each and every one of his supporters, and by the timing of his latest "oh, but Camiller is queen material even after I promised she wouldn't be" smacks of an insecure man who views the engagement of his son to be solely an opportunity to advance his own agenda.

Since their wedding, they have shown their true-er colors. Hers are at least tolerable: yes, she shirks as many duties as possible but why shouldn't she if she can get away with it? And he's a practiced liar who has crossed the faint line from vaguely amusing to borderline sociopathic in his smooth practiced "assurances."

They truly deserve each other . Yes, I know , it's true love and all that - but sometimes, like in this case, true love is just recognizing a kindred spirit.

NotAPretender said:

...especially theirs which was multiple and repeated...
I would have thought that Diana's multiple adulteries with a variety of partners would fall into the same category.
However, we won't be re-engaging the War or the Wales or the C-C-D triangle in this thread thanks. :)

Last edited:
His endless pouting is tiresome and now that he finally admits that he lied all along the way about Camilla's titles, role and future status, his behaviour just makes me loathe him - moving from considering him just silly and pendatic to an active seeker of ridicule. He's always been a polished dissembler but he makes fools of each and every one of his supporters, and by the timing of his latest "oh, but Camiller is queen material even after I promised she wouldn't be" smacks of an insecure man who views the engagement of his son to be solely an opportunity to advance his own agenda.

I am not sure how you got to the conclusion that Charls lied. All the announcement at the time of their engagement said was that it was intended that she would take the title of PConsort. The constitutional position was clarified in Parliament that she would be PoW and in time, Queen.

As to whether you love him or loathe him is entirely a personal position, and from the point of view of the monarchy, the BRF, and the British public, completely inconsequential.

Last edited:
Personally I have always had the belief that it was the "intention" that Camilla would be Queen. I mean, like it or not, she is his wife. If he is going to be King than she is going to be Queen.

I also have the feeling that (no proof just my opinion) that Charles said whatever was necessary to quell any issues about Camilla being Queen when the engagement was announced. They should have just grabbed the bull by the horns and said (in a nice way of course).Diana is dead Life is for the living...Camilla will be Princess of Wales and by his accession, Queen Consort to a King Charles. In the words of the late Duke of Windsor...the whole bag of tricks!

And that would have been the end of it. Some grumbling by the Diana fans but they would have gotten over it (well really they wouldn't have gotten over it but what can you do about it) and we wouldnt' be talking about this five years later.

Last edited:
:previous:
Totally agree. People that have a problem with Camilla are going to have it no matter what title she goes by, so they need to end all this and come out and say she will be Queen - which everyone has really know since they got married.

I also have the feeling that (no proof just my opinion) that Charles said whatever was necessary to quell any issues about Camilla being Queen when the engagement was announced. They should have just grabbed the bull by the horns and said (in a nice way of course).Diana is dead Life is for the living...Camilla will be Princess of Wales and by his accession, Queen Consort to a King Charles. In the words of the late Duke of Windsor...the whole bag of tricks!

Completely agree. Charles did what he had to do to serve himself, including putting forth outright lies and dissembling.

As to whether you love him or loathe him is entirely a personal position...

And our opinions of Charles and Camiller is the very point of this thread. I would have thought you might have noticed that in the title of it.

:previous:
Actually the thread title is asking "how has your opinion changed since the wedding?"
If your opinion hasn't changed, I'd say there's little to contribute to this particular discussion.

Opinions continue to shift as new events occur or new information comes to light - one would think, at least. "Opinion," of course, being the operative word in this or any title.

Opinions continue to shift as new events occur or new information comes to light - one would think, at least. "Opinion," of course, being the operative word in this or any title.

Quite right, as do intentions!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom