The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 07:10 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

randomlyKeira,

you live in London. Are you British? Will you be comfortable pledging allegiance to the King when Charles' time comes?

"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 03-15-2008, 07:31 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel View Post
randomlyKeira,

you live in London. Are you British? Will you be comfortable pledging allegiance to the King when Charles' time comes?
I am British, and I will pledge allegiance to King Charles III (or King George VII as he's indicated he might wish to be called)... But I think it might be easier to pledge to Dreamboat Willy when he comes to be sovereign

Old 03-15-2008, 07:45 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Ah, I see, randomlyKeira.

So what would your recommendations for Charles and Camilla to prepare themselves and make themselves worthy of the throne in the eyes of the people?

They're not going to have William's youth for girls to go crazy over them but what can they bring to the table to make a difference?
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 03-15-2008, 07:59 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Ah, I see, randomlyKeira.

So what would your recommendations for Charles and Camilla to prepare themselves and make themselves worthy of the throne in the eyes of the people?

They're not going to have William's youth for girls to go crazy over them but what can they bring to the table to make a difference?
Well, I think that Charles would make an amazing monarch... He's been bread for it since he was born, and if certain people would look past what happened with Diana, then they would agree. Before Charles and Diana's romance fell apart, people thought that Charles would make a great King, and after everyone was still so captivated by Diana, that they "took her side" in a sense. Charles already has everything that someone would need to be the ruling King, he only has certain public disapproval going against him. But he really is a genuinely caring, and intelligent individual. He's a bit awkward, and non-modern, but the fact of royalty isn't meant to be modern, it dates back before recorded time.

And Camilla is really a nice woman if every person in the country and commonwealth were to meet her, which I know is impossible. She's funny, and supportive, which is what a consort is meant to be, a supporter to their spouse (again, a non-modern institution that the monarchy holds).

To sum up, I think that what Charles and Camilla really need is to in a way "distance" themselves from Diana. I loved Diana, but that really is the only thing that people hold against them, that Camilla was once not properly suited for Charles, and he had to marry Diana instead, and they kept on their affair on during their marriages. If people were to look past their affair, and the press would let them, I believe that the people in this country would learn to understand that Charles would make an excelent King...

(But the people who would think that of course would not be the people who are modernists, and wish to abolish monarchy on principal.)
Old 03-15-2008, 08:33 PM
Majesty

Quote:
I was thinking that Charles and Camilla could settle back as the monarchs and let William take center stage as the dashing future of the monarchy without jeopardizing the hereditary succession of the throne which jumping over Charles would do.
[snipped]
I fully concur with the above. It is wrong to change the succession rules without serious reasons. When it comes to the dim past, people should always keep in mind that (1) Princess Diana's son will continue the bloodline; and (2)Prince William needs time for good training, but not crash course.
Old 03-15-2008, 08:40 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_bina View Post
I fully concur with the above. It is wrong to change the succession rules without serious reasons. When it comes to the dim past, people should always keep in mind that (1) Princess Diana's son will continue the bloodline; and (2)Prince William needs time for good training, but not crash course.
Maybe I'm misunderstanding what both of you are suggesting, but the way I understand it is that you think Charles and Camilla should become King and consort, but let William take on the duties...

If I understand correctly, the only thing that would come of it is a further hatred towards the monarchy because they "aren't doing anything".
Old 03-15-2008, 08:51 PM
Majesty

Prince Charles should ascend the throne. Prince William should take on Crown Prince's duties only and learn how to become a monarch. As for those, who would not like Price Charles to become a monarch, they should remember that nothing is eternal and Prince William will ascend the throne when the time comes.
I am not fan of the couple in question, at the same time I see no valid reasons for changing the succession order.
Old 03-15-2008, 09:16 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_bina View Post
Prince Charles should ascend the throne. Prince William should take on Crown Prince's duties only and learn how to become a monarch. As for those, who would not like Price Charles to become a monarch, they should remember that nothing is eternal and Prince William will ascend the throne when the time comes.
I am not fan of the couple in question, at the same time I see no valid reasons for changing the succession order.
I still don't understand...
Old 03-15-2008, 09:43 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomlyKeira View Post
I still don't understand...
She means that she does not like Prince Charles and Camilla much. But now she accept the fact that Prince Charles has the natural right to ascent the throne because he is the first born of the queen. And William of course should follow his father's step to take the Crown prince's duties when his father ascend the throne.
Old 03-15-2008, 09:58 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by love_cc View Post
She means that she does not like Prince Charles and Camilla much. But now she accept the fact that Prince Charles has the natural right to ascent the throne because he is the first born of the queen. And William of course should follow his father's step to take the Crown prince's duties when his father ascend the throne.

Oooooohhhhhh...... I feel like an idiot.... She's tried to explain it to me about eight times, and I feel like a complete idiot...
Old 03-15-2008, 10:31 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Maybe I'm misunderstanding what both of you are suggesting, but the way I understand it is that you think Charles and Camilla should become King and consort, but let William take on the duties...

If I understand correctly, the only thing that would come of it is a further hatred towards the monarchy because they "aren't doing anything".
No, not really. At least I wasn't.

I was just thinking that Duke of Marmalade has a point in that Charles is losing his freshness by just waiting and waiting for the throne. However, he's not eternally young so he has to bring something else to the table other than the freshness of youth a William would bring.

I was also thinking that a sedate respectability is more appropriate for a monarch and consort and that the sparkle and excitement of youth is more appropriate for an heir and his consort.
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 03-15-2008, 11:15 PM
Nobility

Quote:
No, not really. At least I wasn't.

I was just thinking that Duke of Marmalade has a point in that Charles is losing his freshness by just waiting and waiting for the throne. However, he's not eternally young so he has to bring something else to the table other than the freshness of youth a William would bring.

I was also thinking that a sedate respectability is more appropriate for a monarch and consort and that the sparkle and excitement of youth is more appropriate for an heir and his consort.
Okay, thank you for explaining... I agree...
Old 03-15-2008, 11:18 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

I just had dinner with a very nice couple: an Englishman and his American wife living in the states and asked him whether the monarchy could survive a King Charles.

He said most undoubtedly yes. He was of the opinion that once Charles becomes King, Charles will become invested with the majesty of the position of kingship and he thought that people's distaste at what transpired at his first marriage would become secondary to their desire to respect his position as King. He said that people would hesitate to speak ill of Charles when he is King for fear of undermining the institution of the monarchy.

He quoted that the monarchy is a very popular institution and people are hesitant to speak ill of the queen but he says that is because of the position she possesses. His quote was that you don't mess up your own house and for the Brits to criticize the Queen too harshly would be messing up their own house.

He was of the opinion that to criticize Charles thusly when Charles becomes King would be tantamount to the same thing.

It is but one man's opinion but I was thinking whether this would be the difference between men and women. We are mostly women on this forum and not so many men but I know that men grant respect based on position and once you gain a certain position (no matter how) men will tend to grant you the respect your position demands rather than the respect your personal conduct demands.

Since men are half of Britain's population would this difference between the sexes play a part in the reception a Charles and Camilla receive upon ascending the throne.
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 03-15-2008, 11:58 PM
Nobility

Well, opinions of the monarchy change from person to person, as genereal opinions do. I don't personally know anyone that is vocally against the monarchy, but the media does shove it into your face every now and then. But the people like that, that are supremely against the monarchy itself are the only ones to my knowledge would be completely against Charles being King. But public opinion of Charles isn't very high at this point, and neither is Camilla's, as this thread suggests... I had one aquaintance say that they would move out of the country should Camilla be Queen.

I don't really feel the way that your friend does about being afraid of speaking my mind about the Queen/King, of course there is general sense of respect, but I feel that they really are genuinely nice people, despite their moral errors in the past...

But I think that the country, as well as the commonwealth, will not outright protest when Charles reigns...
Old 03-16-2008, 01:27 AM
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
He said most undoubtedly yes. He was of the opinion that once Charles becomes King, Charles will become invested with the majesty of the position of kingship and he thought that people's distaste at what transpired at his first marriage would become secondary to their desire to respect his position as King. He said that people would hesitate to speak ill of Charles when he is King for fear of undermining the institution of the monarchy.
Another thing to be considered is that at the moment the Queen draws her last breath, it will be C&C mania in the media. All eyes will be on them, and unless one of them kills a puppy on the palace balcony, it will only do good things for them.
Old 03-16-2008, 01:56 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:

I'm afraid that might not stop certain elements of the press, who are trying to do exactly that. It'll be interesting to see how much public opinion is against that sort of mischief-making. My guess is that since Charles and Camilla have been married several years already and Diana's memory is fading - I was surprised in one of the other threads to see how many people at TRF are too young to remember her directly - people might resist the attempts of the republican and tabloid newspapers to cause trouble. And if the trouble doesn't sell, the chances are that they'll stop trying. We can hope, anyway.
Old 03-16-2008, 05:16 AM
Royal Highness

Sorry, but again i have to disagree with the statements that Charles is ´boring´ because he has to wait long to become King and William´s ´freshness´would qualify him to be ´the better King´.

Charles is the heir and he is exellent prepared to do the job and he works hard day by day.
His special interests ( organic farming, evironmental things, architecture, arts, supporting young people...) offer such a wide range, how can this man be boring?

William is young, that´s all. I hope he will learn, but at the moment he couldn´t fullfil this job.

I´m sure only because of the ´Diana-story´the question about whether Charles is fit to be King is in the discussion again and again.

Otherwise there is no reason to doubt that Charles will be the next King and an exellent one!
Old 03-16-2008, 08:00 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay286 View Post
The Canadian poll Skydragon brought over was interesting. Here's a quote:
Unfortunately, this doddering old fool pasted an old poll, not the one intended.

Angus Reid Strategies : AngusReidStrategies News

Quote:
A separate question asked Canadians about their thoughts on who should become King of the United Kingdom and Canada after the reign of Queen Elizabeth II comes to an end. Three-in-ten (29%) would like Prince William to take over, while 26 per cent believe Prince Charles—first in the line of succession—should be the King. A third of respondents (32%) maintain that there should be no monarch after the current one
So, it would appear that for some William is already losing his shine.
Old 03-16-2008, 08:20 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
Unfortunately, this doddering old fool pasted an old poll, not the one intended.

Angus Reid Strategies : AngusReidStrategies News

So, it would appear that for some William is already losing his shine.
Well, he is boring. Charles was much more flashy and sparkling as a young prince in comparison and look what people think of him now that he is 60. Who says that Charles may not reach 100 years? In Germany, statistics claim that 10% of those who are 60 today will reach 100 years or more. I think that Britian and Germany are rather comparable when it comes to the aging of the population, so Charles' chances are quite good. Especially as his parents are still living, he leads a healthy life, loves his spouse, has animals and will continue to have an interesting job as long as he is capable in doing it. All aspects which help to increase the plausibility of living to an old age.

So it may well be that William will be a middle-aged PoW one day, seeing his daughter or son getting married and becoming a mother/father, making Charles great-granddad and Willie granddad - my, what a sparkling idea. And the youth of Britian will discuss if the sytsem of the Netherlands is not better than theirs, with the king/queen becoming souverain after finishing their training and giving over the crown to the next heir once it's time to retire.

IMHO the world must get used to old monarchs like it's common in Japan and to a long line of heirs who get old on waiting to get the top job while the rest of the world has to get their personal top job while they are still young.
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 03-16-2008, 08:25 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by milla Ca View Post
Sorry, but again i have to disagree with the statements that Charles is ´boring´ because he has to wait long to become King and William´s ´freshness´would qualify him to be ´the better King´.

Charles is the heir and he is excellently prepared to do the job and he works hard day by day.
His special interests ( organic farming, environmental things, architecture, arts, supporting young people...) offer such a wide range, how can this man be boring?

William is young, that´s all. I hope he will learn, but at the moment he couldn´t fullfil this job.

I´m sure only because of the ´Diana-story´the question about whether Charles is fit to be King is in the discussion again and again.

Otherwise there is no reason to doubt that Charles will be the next King and an excellent one!
Charles is only boring to some. he isn't just a 'King in waiting', he is active in all manner of subjects, Not least the environmental issues, which are taught in the majority of schools now. The organic movement is growing, with stores falling over themselves to promote organic produce and despite the praise heaped by some on modern architecture, he speaks for a lot of people who think the plans, for most of it should have been put in the bin.

William may seem the 'ideal', young heir at the moment but he too will age and what will happen then? Will people be saying that now Charles is king, perhaps we should by pass William?

Charles has the knowledge and experience to become our next monarch, William has done... what exactly?
Quote:
Well, I think that Charles would make an amazing monarch... He's been bread for it since he was born
I don't think we could say he was bred for it, but he has certainly received extensive training for the position.

Closed Thread

Tags
camilla, duchess of cornwall, prince charles, prince of wales, relationships, royal duties