The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #361  
Old 03-09-2008, 10:50 PM
kimebear's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Albany, United States
Posts: 1,382
Diana may be history to some, but a memory can be harder to overcome than a living person. In some minds, she will always be young, vibrant and a victim. Charles and Camilla are already doing a great job at promoting their marriage because they are often photographed smiling and at ease with each other. Something that photos of Charles and Diana lacked even early on.

Don't be too sure about the "re-election" thing either. The monarchy in the UK exists at the will of the people after all.
__________________

  #362  
Old 03-09-2008, 10:55 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Belleville, United States
Posts: 400
Oh, I think the monarchy will survive just fine. It has for hundreds of years. I think Diana's memory is already fading, maybe not on this forum, but in real life.
__________________

  #363  
Old 03-09-2008, 10:59 PM
Russophile's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Portland, United States
Posts: 4,071
Diana will go away with dignity if that idiot Al Fayd will let it go.
Camilla is more Charles' helpmate and I really enjoy seeing them together. I remember when he and Camilla were getting married, wasn't it a child that asked something along the lines of "Do you love her?" and he replied "Oh yes! Very much!" Or something along those lines but he looked to be a kid in a candy store when they married. Very cute!
  #364  
Old 03-09-2008, 11:01 PM
kimebear's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Albany, United States
Posts: 1,382
I'm sure it will survive. Just as long as it never forgets the people that it serves.
  #365  
Old 03-09-2008, 11:03 PM
kimebear's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Albany, United States
Posts: 1,382
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russophile View Post
Diana will go away with dignity if that idiot Al Fayd will let it go.
Camilla is more Charles' helpmate and I really enjoy seeing them together. I remember when he and Camilla were getting married, wasn't it a child that asked something along the lines of "Do you love her?" and he replied "Oh yes! Very much!" Or something along those lines but he looked to be a kid in a candy store when they married. Very cute!
They did look very happy that day. Charles should have just married her in the '70s and then all of this would have been a non-issue.
  #366  
Old 03-09-2008, 11:06 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Belleville, United States
Posts: 400
Well, it's not like the world has its eyes on Camilla and Charles. Just a microcosm.
  #367  
Old 03-09-2008, 11:20 PM
ysbel's Avatar
Heir Apparent
TRF Author
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 5,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimebear View Post
Charles and Camilla have a lot to overcome because Diana was really the only one talking. When you have a young pretty wife who was the storybook princess and is telling the story about how miserable her marriage was because of another woman (whether true or not) and she is the only one saying anything, weight is given to her words because they are hers. With Charles and Camilla maintaining their silence, they become the aggressors because they say nothing in their defense. Don't get me wrong. I would lose respect for them if they did start talking. I liked Diana, but I don't think she should have been airing the royal laundry like she did.

Camilla doesn't fit the public image of the fairy tale princess. She is older and not charmingly innocent. She will always be seen by some as the woman that made young Prince William stuff tissue under a door to his crying mother, while Diana was photographed holding AIDS babies. To help change opinions, I would like to see Camilla take a more vocal public role. Let more people see who she is, then maybe opinions can change. I think that it's great that she is such good support and help to Charles, but maybe it would be helpful for her to be seen as more than just his wife.
Its interesting that you say that kimebear. Even though you say that you'd lose your respect for Camilla if she did start talking I wonder if for most people the reaction would be different.

The real change in public opinion that Diana affected was when she did the Panorama interview. I remember a fellow member Polly saying that to her Diana was not being vengeful but was just telling her own truth and sharing her own pain and what she felt.

What if Charles and Camilla gave an interview and very gently but very honestly talked about what the experience felt like for them? They wouldn't need to be vengeful or seek out to destroy Diana in the same way that she tried to destroy them but they could put a human face on their feelings and emotions during this time and give people a vivid image of what it felt like to be on the other side of the story. People may not like what they did but they would be able to put a human face on their images rather than be strapped with the image that Diana wanted the public to have of them.

After all the ludicrousness of people calling Camilla the witch that made William stuff tissues under the bathroom door to a crying Diana because if Diana had decided to respond differently and not shut herself up in the bathroom and scare her young son half to death; there would be no reason for people and William to have this disturbing image of a young boy stuffing tissues under a bathroom door and suffering in the public consciousness.
__________________
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
  #368  
Old 03-09-2008, 11:23 PM
Russophile's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Portland, United States
Posts: 4,071
Barbara Walters could do the interview and ask them what twee they wanted to be after they explained all that.
Seriously, I don't think they would do an interview. That's just the way the Royals are. It would be like Andrew dishing about his marriage. He just wouldn't do that.
  #369  
Old 03-09-2008, 11:24 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Belleville, United States
Posts: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel View Post
Its interesting that you say that kimebear. Even though you say that you'd lose your respect for Camilla if she did start talking I wonder if for most people the reaction would be different.

The real change in public opinion that Diana affected was when she did the Panorama interview. I remember a fellow member Polly saying that to her Diana was not being vengeful but was just telling her own truth and sharing her own pain and what she felt.

What if Charles and Camilla gave an interview and very gently but very honestly talked about what the experience felt like for them? They wouldn't need to be vengeful or seek out to destroy Diana in the same way that she tried to destroy them but they could put a human face on their feelings and emotions during this time and give people a vivid image of what it felt like to be on the other side of the story. People may not like what they did but they would be able to put a human face on their images rather than be strapped with the image that Diana wanted the public to have of them.

I would hope they have more class. That would put their children through unnecessary turmoil. That would just make it look as though they were stooping to her level. And most of the world doesn't care.


After all the ludicrousness of people calling Camilla the witch that made William stuff tissues under the bathroom door to a crying Diana because if Diana had decided to respond differently and not shut herself up in the bathroom and scare her young son half to death; there would be no reason for people and William to have this disturbing image of a young boy stuffing tissues under a bathroom door and suffering in the public consciousness.
I never think about that. I think of William as a young adult who has survived a lot of tragedy.
  #370  
Old 03-09-2008, 11:31 PM
Russophile's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Portland, United States
Posts: 4,071
That is an interesting point because how your parents marriage was, or wasn't really colors how your life is going to be. I had a very selfish mother who ignored me, ergo, I married the man who did the same thing.
Charles and Camilla's marriage, on the other hand, is very, very healthy and strong and a very good influence. I just hope that the boys see that and take note of it for their future marriages.
  #371  
Old 03-09-2008, 11:36 PM
ysbel's Avatar
Heir Apparent
TRF Author
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 5,387
Well Andrew and Sarah have talked about their marriage and they have been very honest about the problems they had while still managing to be supportive of each other.

Quote:
I would hope they have more class. That would put their children through unnecessary turmoil. That would just make it look as though they were stooping to her level. And most of the world doesn't care.
Well I think the Panorama interview put their children in turmoil because William and Harry were young teens at the time at an age where children are more impressionable by what their parents do. So yes, I agree that interview had to hurt William and Harry. But now William is grown and Harry has just come from a successful campaign in Afghanistan so I think their self-esteem is more resilient and could withstand an interview by Charles and Camilla as long as their parents used the interview just to share their human experiences and didn't use the interview to trash Diana. They may even feel relieved that their parents are speaking up for themselves and they don't have to defend them.
__________________
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
  #372  
Old 03-09-2008, 11:38 PM
Russophile's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Portland, United States
Posts: 4,071
Now that's tricky because there will be Diana-maniacs who will vilify them both for saying anything thinking it was a direct attack on Diana. I think it would be best if they didn't say anything at all and let their actions, especially these recent happy ones, say it for them.
  #373  
Old 03-09-2008, 11:39 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Belleville, United States
Posts: 400
I would hope that Charles and Camilla would have more class than that and I believe they do. That would turn into a media feeding frenzy and rehash a lot of the past.
  #374  
Old 03-09-2008, 11:39 PM
ysbel's Avatar
Heir Apparent
TRF Author
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 5,387
Quote:
Barbara Walters could do the interview and ask them what twee they wanted to be after they explained all that.
Babwa Wabwa! I hope that she wouldn't ask a dumb question, like Charles, who would have to die to make you King?
__________________
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
  #375  
Old 03-09-2008, 11:42 PM
ysbel's Avatar
Heir Apparent
TRF Author
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 5,387
But to play the devil's advocate...class isn't getting Charles and Camilla anywhere is it? I mean that's what kimebear meant when she said that Charles and Camilla were seen as the aggressor because they kept their silence when in actuality it was really Diana who was the aggressor by opening courting the media and public opinion.

So if Charles and Camilla openly courted the media and public opinion and found an effective way to do it then wouldn't they be successful in casting off the aggressor label?
__________________
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
  #376  
Old 03-09-2008, 11:44 PM
sirhon11234's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 2,467
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel View Post
Babwa Wabwa! I hope that she wouldn't ask a dumb question, like Charles, who would have to die to make you King?
I think Barbra hated Gilda's impersonation of her.

Anyway, I don't think Charles and Camilla need to do an interview it's all in the past and that's where it needs to stay they're moving forward and are quite happy.
__________________
"I think the biggest disease the world suffers from in this day and age is the disease of people feeling unloved."
Diana, the Princess of Wales
  #377  
Old 03-09-2008, 11:45 PM
Russophile's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Portland, United States
Posts: 4,071
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel View Post
Babwa Wabwa! I hope that she wouldn't ask a dumb question, like Charles, who would have to die to make you King?
It would be better than that dopey Meredith Viera. She would ask them "Do you both fantasize?"
  #378  
Old 03-09-2008, 11:46 PM
kimebear's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Albany, United States
Posts: 1,382
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel View Post
Its interesting that you say that kimebear. Even though you say that you'd lose your respect for Camilla if she did start talking I wonder if for most people the reaction would be different.

The real change in public opinion that Diana affected was when she did the Panorama interview. I remember a fellow member Polly saying that to her Diana was not being vengeful but was just telling her own truth and sharing her own pain and what she felt.

What if Charles and Camilla gave an interview and very gently but very honestly talked about what the experience felt like for them? They wouldn't need to be vengeful or seek out to destroy Diana in the same way that she tried to destroy them but they could put a human face on their feelings and emotions during this time and give people a vivid image of what it felt like to be on the other side of the story. People may not like what they did but they would be able to put a human face on their images rather than be strapped with the image that Diana wanted the public to have of them.

After all the ludicrousness of people calling Camilla the witch that made William stuff tissues under the bathroom door to a crying Diana because if Diana had decided to respond differently and not shut herself up in the bathroom and scare her young son half to death; there would be no reason for people and William to have this disturbing image of a young boy stuffing tissues under a bathroom door and suffering in the public consciousness.
Well, its really a double edge sword. I gained a lot of respect for Camilla because she didn't dish. I can see your point about perhaps gaining ground from a gentle honest interview. Believe me, I wouldn't mind hearing their story from their side, in their words. I just can't shake the feeling that another tell all interview would cheapen the dignity that their relationship has gained since the wedding. I wanted Diana to live happily ever after as a royal. I watched the wedding, read the tabloids, soaked up every word. Even then I thought the "whatever love means" comment was odd. I admit to reading a lot into it. When she gave her "there were three of us in the marriage" interview I really felt for her as a wife, but as a fan of royalty, I was disgusted by the intrusion upon the institution itself. I don't know. There are really no good answers. I would like to see more of Camilla. The number of her engagements is dwarfed by the other senior royals. As much as I hesitate to suggest it, she should maybe put herself more into the mainstream media so people can get to know her as a person and not just as a wife.
  #379  
Old 03-09-2008, 11:46 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Belleville, United States
Posts: 400
I do think class is getting Charles and Camilla a lot.
I don't think many people see them in the light they did when this all began and I believe that is precisely what their silence is giving them. The best thing that can happen now is for the bloody inquest to end. Meanwhile, Camilla and Charles are handling it all very well. It needs to be over. An interview like that would stir it all up again not to mention the media frenzy. Because if you think it would drop after they gave the interview, well it wouldn't. It would all begin again.
  #380  
Old 03-10-2008, 12:09 AM
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: ***, United States
Posts: 16,894
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel View Post
It would be interesting to see how the tabloids handled Charles and Camilla when they first started to talk about them as an item and see how that opinion has changed over the years. I think Elspeth was doing a research of the history of one of the tabloids depictions of Charles and Camilla over the years and I remember she said how surprising it was that it changed.

But maybe I'm mistaken.
So far, and I'm not as far through this research as I'd like to be, it seems as though the Daily Mail has turned the heat up in its attacks on Camilla since the marriage. Before that, if anything, they were more negative about Charles.
__________________

Closed Thread

Tags
camilla, duchess of cornwall, prince charles, prince of wales, relationships, royal duties


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall: Visit to Portugal - March 28-30, 2011 Princess Agnes The Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall 45 04-06-2011 08:24 PM
Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall Current Events 12: February-March 2006 Elspeth Current Events Archive 203 03-08-2006 12:30 PM




Popular Tags
ascot 2016 belgian state visit to japan best gown best gown september 2016 best hat best outfit catherine middleton style christening of prince alexander coup d'etat crown prince haakon crown princess mary crown princess mary fashion crown princess mette-marit current events december duchess of cambridge dutch state visit e-mail fashion poll fashion suggestions grand duke jean greece jubilee kate middleton king abdullah ii king felipe king felipe vi king willem-alexander member introduction monarchy new zealand nobel gala norway november 2016 october 2016 opening of parliament oscars picture of the week prince bernhard prince charles princess marie princess mary princess mary daytime fashion princess mary fashion princess mary hats queen letizia queen letizia casual outfits queen letizia daytime fashion queen letizia fashion queen letizia style queen mathilde queen mathildes outfits queen maxima queen maxima casual wear queen maxima daytime fashion queen maxima fashion queen maxima hats queen maxima style queen rania royal fashion september 2016 state visit state visit to denmark succession sweden the duchess of cambridge the duchess of cambridge casual wear the duchess of cambridge daytime fashion the duchess of cambridge fashion the duchess of cambridge hats


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:26 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2016
Jelsoft Enterprises