The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 10:50 PM
Serene Highness

Diana may be history to some, but a memory can be harder to overcome than a living person. In some minds, she will always be young, vibrant and a victim. Charles and Camilla are already doing a great job at promoting their marriage because they are often photographed smiling and at ease with each other. Something that photos of Charles and Diana lacked even early on.

Don't be too sure about the "re-election" thing either. The monarchy in the UK exists at the will of the people after all.

Old 03-09-2008, 10:55 PM
Nobility

Oh, I think the monarchy will survive just fine. It has for hundreds of years. I think Diana's memory is already fading, maybe not on this forum, but in real life.

Old 03-09-2008, 10:59 PM
Heir Apparent

Diana will go away with dignity if that idiot Al Fayd will let it go.
Camilla is more Charles' helpmate and I really enjoy seeing them together. I remember when he and Camilla were getting married, wasn't it a child that asked something along the lines of "Do you love her?" and he replied "Oh yes! Very much!" Or something along those lines but he looked to be a kid in a candy store when they married. Very cute!
Old 03-09-2008, 11:01 PM
Serene Highness

I'm sure it will survive. Just as long as it never forgets the people that it serves.
Old 03-09-2008, 11:03 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russophile View Post
Diana will go away with dignity if that idiot Al Fayd will let it go.
Camilla is more Charles' helpmate and I really enjoy seeing them together. I remember when he and Camilla were getting married, wasn't it a child that asked something along the lines of "Do you love her?" and he replied "Oh yes! Very much!" Or something along those lines but he looked to be a kid in a candy store when they married. Very cute!
They did look very happy that day. Charles should have just married her in the '70s and then all of this would have been a non-issue.
Old 03-09-2008, 11:06 PM
Nobility

Well, it's not like the world has its eyes on Camilla and Charles. Just a microcosm.
Old 03-09-2008, 11:20 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimebear View Post
Charles and Camilla have a lot to overcome because Diana was really the only one talking. When you have a young pretty wife who was the storybook princess and is telling the story about how miserable her marriage was because of another woman (whether true or not) and she is the only one saying anything, weight is given to her words because they are hers. With Charles and Camilla maintaining their silence, they become the aggressors because they say nothing in their defense. Don't get me wrong. I would lose respect for them if they did start talking. I liked Diana, but I don't think she should have been airing the royal laundry like she did.

Camilla doesn't fit the public image of the fairy tale princess. She is older and not charmingly innocent. She will always be seen by some as the woman that made young Prince William stuff tissue under a door to his crying mother, while Diana was photographed holding AIDS babies. To help change opinions, I would like to see Camilla take a more vocal public role. Let more people see who she is, then maybe opinions can change. I think that it's great that she is such good support and help to Charles, but maybe it would be helpful for her to be seen as more than just his wife.
Its interesting that you say that kimebear. Even though you say that you'd lose your respect for Camilla if she did start talking I wonder if for most people the reaction would be different.

The real change in public opinion that Diana affected was when she did the Panorama interview. I remember a fellow member Polly saying that to her Diana was not being vengeful but was just telling her own truth and sharing her own pain and what she felt.

What if Charles and Camilla gave an interview and very gently but very honestly talked about what the experience felt like for them? They wouldn't need to be vengeful or seek out to destroy Diana in the same way that she tried to destroy them but they could put a human face on their feelings and emotions during this time and give people a vivid image of what it felt like to be on the other side of the story. People may not like what they did but they would be able to put a human face on their images rather than be strapped with the image that Diana wanted the public to have of them.

After all the ludicrousness of people calling Camilla the witch that made William stuff tissues under the bathroom door to a crying Diana because if Diana had decided to respond differently and not shut herself up in the bathroom and scare her young son half to death; there would be no reason for people and William to have this disturbing image of a young boy stuffing tissues under a bathroom door and suffering in the public consciousness.
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 03-09-2008, 11:23 PM
Heir Apparent

Barbara Walters could do the interview and ask them what twee they wanted to be after they explained all that.
Seriously, I don't think they would do an interview. That's just the way the Royals are. It would be like Andrew dishing about his marriage. He just wouldn't do that.
Old 03-09-2008, 11:24 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel View Post
Its interesting that you say that kimebear. Even though you say that you'd lose your respect for Camilla if she did start talking I wonder if for most people the reaction would be different.

The real change in public opinion that Diana affected was when she did the Panorama interview. I remember a fellow member Polly saying that to her Diana was not being vengeful but was just telling her own truth and sharing her own pain and what she felt.

What if Charles and Camilla gave an interview and very gently but very honestly talked about what the experience felt like for them? They wouldn't need to be vengeful or seek out to destroy Diana in the same way that she tried to destroy them but they could put a human face on their feelings and emotions during this time and give people a vivid image of what it felt like to be on the other side of the story. People may not like what they did but they would be able to put a human face on their images rather than be strapped with the image that Diana wanted the public to have of them.

I would hope they have more class. That would put their children through unnecessary turmoil. That would just make it look as though they were stooping to her level. And most of the world doesn't care.

After all the ludicrousness of people calling Camilla the witch that made William stuff tissues under the bathroom door to a crying Diana because if Diana had decided to respond differently and not shut herself up in the bathroom and scare her young son half to death; there would be no reason for people and William to have this disturbing image of a young boy stuffing tissues under a bathroom door and suffering in the public consciousness.
I never think about that. I think of William as a young adult who has survived a lot of tragedy.
Old 03-09-2008, 11:31 PM
Heir Apparent

That is an interesting point because how your parents marriage was, or wasn't really colors how your life is going to be. I had a very selfish mother who ignored me, ergo, I married the man who did the same thing.
Charles and Camilla's marriage, on the other hand, is very, very healthy and strong and a very good influence. I just hope that the boys see that and take note of it for their future marriages.
Old 03-09-2008, 11:36 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Well Andrew and Sarah have talked about their marriage and they have been very honest about the problems they had while still managing to be supportive of each other.

Quote:
I would hope they have more class. That would put their children through unnecessary turmoil. That would just make it look as though they were stooping to her level. And most of the world doesn't care.
Well I think the Panorama interview put their children in turmoil because William and Harry were young teens at the time at an age where children are more impressionable by what their parents do. So yes, I agree that interview had to hurt William and Harry. But now William is grown and Harry has just come from a successful campaign in Afghanistan so I think their self-esteem is more resilient and could withstand an interview by Charles and Camilla as long as their parents used the interview just to share their human experiences and didn't use the interview to trash Diana. They may even feel relieved that their parents are speaking up for themselves and they don't have to defend them.
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 03-09-2008, 11:38 PM
Heir Apparent

Now that's tricky because there will be Diana-maniacs who will vilify them both for saying anything thinking it was a direct attack on Diana. I think it would be best if they didn't say anything at all and let their actions, especially these recent happy ones, say it for them.
Old 03-09-2008, 11:39 PM
Nobility

I would hope that Charles and Camilla would have more class than that and I believe they do. That would turn into a media feeding frenzy and rehash a lot of the past.
Old 03-09-2008, 11:39 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Barbara Walters could do the interview and ask them what twee they wanted to be after they explained all that.
Babwa Wabwa! I hope that she wouldn't ask a dumb question, like Charles, who would have to die to make you King?
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 03-09-2008, 11:42 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

But to play the devil's advocate...class isn't getting Charles and Camilla anywhere is it? I mean that's what kimebear meant when she said that Charles and Camilla were seen as the aggressor because they kept their silence when in actuality it was really Diana who was the aggressor by opening courting the media and public opinion.

So if Charles and Camilla openly courted the media and public opinion and found an effective way to do it then wouldn't they be successful in casting off the aggressor label?
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 03-09-2008, 11:44 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Babwa Wabwa! I hope that she wouldn't ask a dumb question, like Charles, who would have to die to make you King?
I think Barbra hated Gilda's impersonation of her.

Anyway, I don't think Charles and Camilla need to do an interview it's all in the past and that's where it needs to stay they're moving forward and are quite happy.
Old 03-09-2008, 11:45 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
It would be better than that dopey Meredith Viera. She would ask them "Do you both fantasize?"
Old 03-09-2008, 11:46 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:

Well, its really a double edge sword. I gained a lot of respect for Camilla because she didn't dish. I can see your point about perhaps gaining ground from a gentle honest interview. Believe me, I wouldn't mind hearing their story from their side, in their words. I just can't shake the feeling that another tell all interview would cheapen the dignity that their relationship has gained since the wedding. I wanted Diana to live happily ever after as a royal. I watched the wedding, read the tabloids, soaked up every word. Even then I thought the "whatever love means" comment was odd. I admit to reading a lot into it. When she gave her "there were three of us in the marriage" interview I really felt for her as a wife, but as a fan of royalty, I was disgusted by the intrusion upon the institution itself. I don't know. There are really no good answers. I would like to see more of Camilla. The number of her engagements is dwarfed by the other senior royals. As much as I hesitate to suggest it, she should maybe put herself more into the mainstream media so people can get to know her as a person and not just as a wife.
Old 03-09-2008, 11:46 PM
Nobility

I do think class is getting Charles and Camilla a lot.
I don't think many people see them in the light they did when this all began and I believe that is precisely what their silence is giving them. The best thing that can happen now is for the bloody inquest to end. Meanwhile, Camilla and Charles are handling it all very well. It needs to be over. An interview like that would stir it all up again not to mention the media frenzy. Because if you think it would drop after they gave the interview, well it wouldn't. It would all begin again.
Old 03-10-2008, 12:09 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
It would be interesting to see how the tabloids handled Charles and Camilla when they first started to talk about them as an item and see how that opinion has changed over the years. I think Elspeth was doing a research of the history of one of the tabloids depictions of Charles and Camilla over the years and I remember she said how surprising it was that it changed.

But maybe I'm mistaken.
So far, and I'm not as far through this research as I'd like to be, it seems as though the Daily Mail has turned the heat up in its attacks on Camilla since the marriage. Before that, if anything, they were more negative about Charles.

Closed Thread

Tags
camilla, duchess of cornwall, prince charles, prince of wales, relationships, royal duties