The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 12:17 AM
Royal Highness

I think that Charles and Camilla function as a team, whereas Charles and Diana did not. If you can work as a team, it makes for a better marriage -- just look at the difference between Charles first and second.

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 01-17-2008, 06:04 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by PadThaiPrincess View Post
I think one of the things Prince Charles grew to loathe about Princess Diana was how she stole the spotlight from him. There's no "Camilla-Mania" to detract from him and that seems to allow for smoother running.
A lot of husbands are quite happy with the way others adore their beautiful wifes. Charles seemed to be one of those at first and joked about the Di-mania. The problem IMHO was how Diana dealt with that. She used the public adoration she got as an argument why she should be treated equally adoring in her private life, especially by Charles. But Charles needed a partner working alongside him not someone who needed constant spoiling. So Diana used the public adoration she got to abuse (on telling him that the public was only interested in her) and embarrass him by upstaging him and taking away the limelight when Charles had a public event for a cause he cared about.

While Camilla in addition to Charles at an event makes for better headlines. I doubt eg that the visit to Chinatown would have gotten so much public notice if it wasn't for Camilla allowing the photographers to take her picture alongside of that ugly dragon. This pic was so irrestistable for the picture editors that this visit was much reported about - normally the public does not get so much reporting on Charles' visits.

'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 01-17-2008, 08:58 AM
Imperial Majesty

I think he became less secure with Diana's interviews and books, I also think he was puzzled by 'shy Di's' flirting with the media and the public.

What we see now is a return to the pre Diana confidence and belief in himself, brought about by marriage to an equal partner. Someone he knows won't throw a wobbly if he disagrees with her, a woman who will tell him to ****** off if he is being unreasonable and to whom he can do the same!

What we are seeing now is a truly happy man!
Old 01-17-2008, 09:06 AM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo of Palatine View Post
Why do you think that she doesn't tell him the truth once in a while? I have the impression that Charles' public appearances have improved a lot since he is out with Camilla. She seems to have shown him for example that sometimes a bit of a impromptu reaction is very valuable - at least I read about quite some incidents lately where the prince adapted his programme spontaneously to interact with the public more.

That may be because since he married he must have seen that his reception by the public became warmer and so he might be more inclined to "dare" a bit more.
I agree with your last statement Jo. I just think that Charles is looking happier and more at ease because Camilla is better suited for him but I don't necessarily think that means she tells things to him straight in private.

As I said, I always got the impression that she was no nonsense but I recently saw the transcripts of the Camilla-gate transcripts and in that conversation she did seem like she had to prop him up too much. It did remind me a bit of the tone that James Gilbey took with Diana in the Squidgygate tapes.

There are other things but they don't come to mind now.
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 01-17-2008, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo of Palatine View Post
A lot of husbands are quite happy with the way others adore their beautiful wifes.
Yep, I agree with that! The evidence abounds. Certainly, Charles seems delighted by the positive response from the public (not talking about press, rather the public whom the couple meet on engagements) regarding Camilla. He always seems so proud by the way she gets on with people they meet.
I also agree with you that he was like with Diana, at least in the early days. I think of their Australia trip as particular evidence. Diana and Charles had a very sweet rapport between them on the Australia tour.
Old 02-13-2008, 02:41 PM
Commoner

I was really unhappy with the marrage at first and I'm still not thrilled with it but they look very happy together and thats all that counts in the end.
Old 02-17-2008, 12:22 PM
Courtier

Charles is a royal that never really interested me; I never really got all the interest in Diana either TBH, but I found myself getting curious about him shortly after they announced that he and Camilla were to marry. I, perhaps because of the way she was portrayed in the media, always (unfairly) thought very little of Camilla but when she and Charles came out of the church and walked around greeting the people I found myself very drawn to her. There was something so charismatic and natural about her and because of the impression that this simple walk-about left on me, I have found myself quite interested in both her and Charles. I won’t be as active in researching their current events as some of you but if I do see something written about them I will take the time to read it, which I never did before. I never had any real problem with Charles because he cheated on Diana, I just never warmed to him but marring Camilla has changed that. I guess you could say that the interest that Diana caused many people to have in Charles and the Royal Family never worked on me but Camilla did.
Old 02-17-2008, 04:45 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcbcode99 View Post
I think that Charles and Camilla function as a team, whereas Charles and Diana did not. If you can work as a team, it makes for a better marriage -- just look at the difference between Charles first and second.
Diana always said that she thought in their public life they functioned best as a team. But obviously Charles seems happier working with Camilla in that capacity because she is not stealing his spotlight in any way.
Old 02-17-2008, 05:48 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amelia View Post
Charles is a royal that never really interested me; I never really got all the interest in Diana either TBH, but I found myself getting curious about him shortly after they announced that he and Camilla were to marry. I, perhaps because of the way she was portrayed in the media, always (unfairly) thought very little of Camilla but when she and Charles came out of the church and walked around greeting the people I found myself very drawn to her. There was something so charismatic and natural about her and because of the impression that this simple walk-about left on me, I have found myself quite interested in both her and Charles. I won’t be as active in researching their current events as some of you but if I do see something written about them I will take the time to read it, which I never did before. I never had any real problem with Charles because he cheated on Diana, I just never warmed to him but marring Camilla has changed that. I guess you could say that the interest that Diana caused many people to have in Charles and the Royal Family never worked on me but Camilla did.
I had a similar experience. I never understood all the fuss about Diana. I got interested in Prince Charles about the same time you did, when I heard he was going to marry Camilla. She had been so villified in the press, but when I saw her with him and how she handled herself, I like her. I think she has her own charm and is mature.
Lexi
Old 02-17-2008, 06:57 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

I've just deleted a bunch of posts that were more about Diana than Charles or Camilla.

If you want to discuss how your opinion changed about Camilla because she doesnt' take the spotlight that is fine; but then to get in an argument about whether Diana really hogged the press and spotlight is not really appropriate to this thread.

If you want to discuss whether Diana hogged the spotlight, then by all means, go ahead and do so but don't discuss it in this thread: start a thread in the Diana forum to continue the discussion.

ysbel
British forums moderator
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 02-18-2008, 03:09 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post

What we are seeing now is a truly happy man!
Totally agree. We are just now getting "A Year With The Royal Family" and as I watched him talking last night ( it was the Queen's birthday and they were gathered at Buckingham Palace ready to go on the balcony,) the close up him showed no sign of the tension/worries that I saw for so many years especially after Diana died when he seemed (to me) to age almost overnight
Old 02-18-2008, 03:16 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerbell1948 View Post
... that I saw for so many years especially after Diana died when he seemed (to me) to age almost overnight
Of course, he was tense ... I believe that he was not the most loved person at the time of Princess Diana's death.
Old 02-18-2008, 03:25 PM
Heir Presumptive

Location: Between the first and second floor of the Eiffel Tower, France
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_bina View Post
Of course, he was tense ... I believe that he was not the most loved person at the time of Princess Diana's death.
Totally. Not to mention all the terrible allegations that suggested it may be him who ordered her assassination ...

Please, help find a cure for ALS

Because it matters...
Old 02-18-2008, 03:44 PM
Heir Apparent

Who cares about allegations? Was Prince Charles hurt by these allegations? I do not think so.
The vulgar herd can scream themselves into fits as much as they can. Prince Charles knows that the same vulgar herd will greet and welcome him after he ascends the throne.
Old 02-18-2008, 03:50 PM
Heir Presumptive

Location: Between the first and second floor of the Eiffel Tower, France
Quote:
Who cares about allegations? Was Prince Charles hurt by these allegations? I do not think so.
The vulgar herd can scream themselves into fits as much as they can. Prince Charles knows that the same vulgar herd will greet and welcome him after he ascends the throne.
But it still can hurt. I wouldn't want to be accused this way and certainly not of killing my ex. We're going off topic, I think. It's a fact, he looked like a ghost before having Camilla at his side.

Please, help find a cure for ALS

Because it matters...
Old 02-18-2008, 03:59 PM
Heir Apparent

My acid comments...

Looking happy and satisfied is a part of Prince Charles' image. He has married the love of his life after all.
Old 02-18-2008, 05:22 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Indeed! Because then he will be King Charles. And those vulgarians will want to flock to where the power is!
Old 02-23-2008, 02:09 AM
Heir Apparent

I think around the time of Diana's death she and Charles had come to some sort of accommodation. The press was also starting to view the divorce and protagonists in a more realistic light. Diana's death destroyed all that and we were all subject to a reliving (and rewriting) of history, which lasted for years.The marriage of Charles and Camilla, contrary to dire predictions, did not destroy the monarchy, in fact quite to contrary.Charles and Camilla just fit. They seem to bring out the best in each other and manage to share that part of themselves with us. Crazies notwithstanding, people are seeing a new an invigorated Heir and his Countess. I find them to be a little sweet and totally uninhibited in their public appearances. Their strength shows and there is a sense of renewed stability and hope for the future.Weirdly enough the whole 'Diana Inquest' debacle seems to emphasise all that is good about the BRF and how wildly out of whack and removed from reality the Inquest is. Not a few hard-pressed tax payers are asking themselves what their taxes are being squandered on.
Old 02-23-2008, 02:56 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russophile View Post
Indeed! Because then he will be King Charles. And those vulgarians will want to flock to where the power is!
I am not sure whether King Charles will get more power or influence than Prince Charles.
Old 02-23-2008, 03:38 PM
Nobility

I think Charles just looks happier and more relaxed. I like the two of them together. (Not that my opinion matters.) I like Camilla too. I think she has class.

Tags
camilla, duchess of cornwall, prince charles, prince of wales, relationships, royal duties