The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-09-2010, 04:42 PM
Heir Apparent

Jesus Christ! So thankful Charles and Camilla are okay, I got scared when I heard about it.

Old 12-09-2010, 04:56 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
But The Queen isn't the one who has said "Ooo I think I will raise the cap on English University fees so as to get the country out of debt, but it will actually get it more in debt when next years College students graduate and face these raised fees" She signs the piece of paper because she has no real choice in the matter.

And I do know what my government is doing, thank you.

As you said that the royal family have nothing to do with the vote I was simply reminding you, and everyone else, that the Queen has to sign to legislation and therefore does have a role to play - that she has no say over the signing doesn't change the fact that until she signs it it isn't law.

Did I ever suggest that you didn't know what you government was doing? If I did I am sorry as that was never my intent. I simply was trying to explain what the issue was.

Old 12-09-2010, 05:04 PM
Heir Apparent

Glad they are OK- feel sorry for the DOC and that poor car! Are they raising fees in all schools or just university? Just proves why royals need bodyguards.
Old 12-09-2010, 05:08 PM
Heir Apparent

It must have been terrifying to turn a corner and be confronted by a mob of rioters. These people went to demonstrate with no intention of keeping to the agreed protest route. They came prepared for violence, armed with scrarves and bandanas to cover their cowardly faces and pool balls and paintball guns to assualt anyone that got in their way. They attacked shops in Oxford and Regent streets. They also assaulted shoppers caught up it the melee.

The Royal Proection squad would not have been aware that there was a need for extra security for what is essentially a regular trip to the Royal Variety Show, the Ballet or whatever. The BRF itself was not was not targeted. The Royal entourage was merely a target of opportunity, an opportunity that will make the vast majority of protesters feel shame for the damage done and probably a little scared at how easily their legitimate protest was hijacked by the looney and dangerous left.

As for the notion of "speeding away"? The BRF do not run down people even if they are part of a rioting mob. I am so glad that Charles and Camilla were unharmed, shaken but not stirred. Hopefully some thoughtful RPS member handed them both a stiff drink before they sallied forth looking very British! Full steam ahead and damn the torpedoes.
Old 12-09-2010, 05:18 PM
Aristocracy

I can understand that students are not happy about this. However, the rioters look more like anarchists happy to have some pretext for violence, than real students...
Happy that Charles and Camilla, who have absolutely nothing to do with it, are unharmed.
Old 12-09-2010, 05:19 PM
Royal Highness

I am not from England so can't comment on laws there but maybe the protestors/rioters just saw the car as a symbol of the wealthy and not the BRF- I did see one pic earlier that had some rioters writing 'let the wealthy pay'....
Old 12-09-2010, 05:24 PM
Heir Presumptive

If you listen to one of the students talking you can here him describe how Charles and Camilla's car got separated from all the other protection and police cars. Charles and Camilla seem to have been smiling and trying to calm all the students that had surrounded their car until one person had attacked the car. I doubt it was anything personal, but there is nothing like attacking the heir to the oldest and most prominent British institution to get your message and anger across. I just hope the Tories don't ignore all of this. There is only so much peaceful protesting people can do before things get violent like this.
Old 12-09-2010, 05:28 PM
Serene Highness

From Sky, video of the events

Fees: Nine Police Injured As Students March On Westminster Over Rising Tuition Fees | Politics | Sky News
Old 12-09-2010, 05:37 PM
Heir Apparent

Maybe I'm just really tired from studying but I don't get what the witness is trying to say in Sky New video. I'll listen to it again but it just seems people were shocked to see Charles and Camilla and began to swarm the car no mention of how the paint bomb actually went off or anything like that.
Old 12-09-2010, 05:44 PM
Nobility

Camilla looks really shaken as she gets out of the car in that video which really isn't a surprise. As a student I really think acts like this, and the fire extinguisher being thrown, really turn the public against the students cause.
Old 12-09-2010, 05:50 PM
Courtier

Looks to me that the student protest which real students wanted to keep non violent and non destructive was quickly overtaken by what we call the Rent a Crowd. That is radicals out to cause as much damage as possible. These radicals will turn up to anything and they are most certainly not University students. Tis a pity that Charles's car was caught up in it as it gives them more of a global audience for there cause. The royal couple looked justifyably scared. It must have been terrifying for them. One pic shows them clutching each others hands tightly.
Old 12-09-2010, 05:53 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Spoiled brats?
Yes, spoiled brats. Their tuition is going up so they riot & attack innocent people?
Those are not the actions of mature people.
Old 12-09-2010, 05:54 PM
Heir Presumptive

I don't understand why they have chosen as targets Charles and Camilla
Old 12-09-2010, 05:56 PM
Commoner

Charles and Camilla were attacked either

1. because they are symbols of governmental power, or
2. they were convenient.
Old 12-09-2010, 05:56 PM
Nobility

BBC reporting Camilla has said she is "fine" after the car attack and joked that "there is a first time for everything".
Old 12-09-2010, 05:58 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMC View Post
Yes, spoiled brats. Their tuition is going up so they riot & attack innocent people?
Those are not the actions of mature people.
Actually, the majority of people who were rioting and causing the problems aren't having their fees put up. They either will leave university this year, have already left or were there for fun. The college students who it will affect, are in their first year and not many turned out at the protest. Fees will go up next year and will not affect uni students already there or students who start next year. Spoiled would imply they have been given too much of one thing, when they are just expressing their anger in the wrong way IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenora View Post
They were in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by missmaggy View Post
Charles and Camilla were attacked either

1. because they are symbols of governmental power, or
2. they were convenient.
1; They aren't symbols of government as they have nothing to do with it.
2; They riots weren't supposed to be in Regent Street, where the car was attacked, and hardly anyone would have known the Royal Variety Performance was occuring tonight.
Old 12-09-2010, 05:59 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenora View Post
Just because they were there, basically. Things had gotten pretty out-of-control already, and a royal car in the midst of everything just became a target.
Old 12-09-2010, 06:09 PM
Heir Apparent

Some footage of the car being attacked(VERY shaky though)
BBC News - 'It was madness: Royal car drove into protest'
BBC News - 'I saw Prince Charles's car get attacked'
Old 12-09-2010, 06:10 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Just because they were there, basically. Things had gotten pretty out-of-control already, and a royal car in the midst of everything just became a target.
Indeed :

Getty Images - Navigateur non pris en charge

Old 12-09-2010, 06:13 PM
Courtier

It was a pretty stupid move on the part of the protesters/students -- they are not going to get any sympathy from anyone after this. Total nonsense!