Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall Current Events 25: September 2008-August 2010

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Warren

Administrator in Memoriam
City
Sydney
Country
Australia
Welcome to the Charles and Camilla current events thread, part 22

commencing September 2008

Part 21, covering the period May to September 2008, can be found here

~ ~ ~

Last edited:
The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall watched a fly-past over Westminster Abbey to commemorates the Battle of Britain
September 21

Getty Images - Unsupported browser detected#

(Before they attended the Battle of Britain Service of Thanksgiving and Rededication at Westminster Abbey and afterwards the royal couple joined a reception at Church House, Westminster.)

Charles and Camilla cheer on the rugby stars helping British heroes

Another Über Regal picture.....

Getty Images - Unsupported browser detected

And for the DOC:

-Hat: checked
-Bag: checked
-Gloves: checked
-Pearls: checked
-"Camilla chic" outfit: checked
-Regal poise: checked

Nice job as usual m'am...

Thank you for all the photo's and articles everyone! :flowers: It is wonderful the way Charles & Camilla support our troops, past & present.... :curtsey::clap:

And it's so wonderful to see them happy with each other! That makes such a difference in their lives and in their working together as a team. And you really feel that they are a team!

The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall watched a fly-past over Westminster Abbey to commemorates the Battle of Britain
September 21

Getty Images - Unsupported browser detected#

(Before they attended the Battle of Britain Service of Thanksgiving and Rededication at Westminster Abbey and afterwards the royal couple joined a reception at Church House, Westminster.)

Charles and Camilla cheer on the rugby stars helping British heroes

Great pictures. They seem to be doing a lovely job together, and they also seem very happy. As has been commented previously, I think Camilla looks very regal, in her wedding outfit very tastefully recycled.

While Charles and Camilla do a lot of appearances on their own it is great to see that they are seen as Skydragon noted, to "support our troops, past & present.... ". I love that they do this together and I think that whilst Prince Charles has been "doing the pretty" with the troops all his life, Camilla at his side brings out his humour and compassion for all of us to see.

I think having been an "Army Wife" gives her the ability to empathise with both the troops and their families which. She seems to act as a sort of bridge between the formal (ceremonial) and the personal interaction. A great double act!

Couldn't agree more, MARG. Odd as this may sound, Camilla's experience as a former army wife must certainly help her understand how a lot of the families of the troops feel, even though I doubt Andrew PB ever saw action. Charles and Camilla are now a great double act, and hopefully in time, will do the top job with as much grace and elegance and they fulfill their current duties.

Last edited by a moderator:
Indeed! Which shows them that Camilla is one of them. She relates. That's terribly important to us commonfolk. . .

Last edited by a moderator:
Anybody seen C&C out and about recently? Does anybody know when they are next travelling abroad?

I think having been an "Army Wife" gives her the ability to empathise with both the troops and their families which. She seems to act as a sort of bridge between the formal (ceremonial) and the personal interaction. A great double act!
I am told that Camilla is very popular amongst all service personnel, for the extra effort she puts in for them all. :wub:

I think most military members and families can spot a fake "photo op" at 90 paces, which is why I think you are right. Camilla seems to really get into the action so to speak and is obviously really at ease talking to military personnel and dependents regardless of rank. :flowers:

Prince pays tribute to late friend
October 3

Charles, attending with Camilla, recalled Capt Ward, who served with the Household Cavalry, giving him a 16ft fishing rod 40 years ago. "Gerald always used to refer to it as 'the giant vibrator'," added the Prince, to laughter.

The Press Association: Prince pays tribute to late friend

I'm sure he will be missed. :flowers:

Of course he will be missed. First of all by his wife who IIRC is a painter. As I know from a lot of artist friends in happy marriages, they are "grounded" by their non-artist spouse. If this was the case with Mrs. Ward as well, she faces an especially hard time now. I wish one had a possibility to convey condolescences to her but so far best wishes on such a forum must be enough.

Charles and Camilla have lost the rarest of rarest things for them: a true friend. In their position a friend is dearer than anything else, I assume.

So it surely was a sad, sad day for them and Mr. Ward's family. :flowers:

:previous:
Yes, Amanda is a well known artist and the couple were devoted to one another, as is often the case in second marriages. Everyone seems of the opinion it is exactly the unlingering, sudden and unfussy way he would have wished to go. I am sure Amanda, Sarah and Lucy will somehow know of the good wishes from members of the forum. :flowers:

:previous:
Everyone seems of the opinion it is exactly the unlingering, sudden and unfussy way he would have wished to go. :flowers:

Oh, Skydragon, that is exactly what I feared would happen. Of course for Mr. Ward this was a good way to go but he was still rather young, so many years to go for the couple. For him, I guess, yes, this was the most "pleasant" death imaginable if there is soemthing like that at all but does this thought help his nearest and dearest now when grief is still so raw and fresh? Later, yes, but at the moment I imagine that the feeling of not having been able to say good-bye is so hurtful, so difficult to come to terms with, so having to be the center of attention in such a high-profile funeral must have been very hard on Mrs. Ward and her (step-)daughters. I've included them in my prayers because from my own experiences I think I can connect to them and I wish they would have been spared such a rather public ordeal, though of course it was an honour for the late Mr. Ward and thus very fitting.

Here, the family will have had the opportunity to say their goodbyes before the funeral, The Wards were used to being in the public eye to some extent.

It was of course a shock for everyone and the grief will be very real for his family and close friends, but even when the death is expected it can be hard for them. Nobody is happy when a loved one passes, but knowing it was doing something they enjoyed can help, although time is the only thing that takes the intensity of the pain, IMO.:flowers:

Not sure where to put this. :flowers:

Top BBC presenter Jeremy Paxman, who is known for his aggressive interviews, on Tuesday slammed the publicly-funded broadcaster for "fawning" over the royal family in its news coverage

BBC 'fawning' over royal family: Paxman - Yahoo! News UK

I would question the Top presenter yag, I don't know of anyone who watches or listens to him. He tries to emulate Robin Day, but does not have the manners or presence, IMO.

Not sure I'm thrilled about my favourite Royal pair being so fond of the word poof but there we are. It was 30 years ago.

I think it's hilarious, don't forget 30 years ago, words such as Homo were not used, Gay meant happy and jovial. Although Poofs meant homosexuals, it tended to be used by Gays to refer to one another.:flowers:
"We've all had family parties where we played games and scribbled on things
Have we, do tell! :whistling::lol:
Not sure I'm thrilled about my favourite Royal pair being so fond of the word poof but there we are. It was 30 years ago.
Darling, it was before they knew you!

The thing is, I've no problem whatsoever with straight people using the words 'queer' or 'poof' if they're used in the spirit the gay community uses them. It's when they're used as a term of insult that I take offence and I think in this case the intention is unknown which makes it harder to rationale.

The thing is, I've no problem whatsoever with straight people using the words 'queer' or 'poof' if they're used in the spirit the gay community uses them. It's when they're used as a term of insult that I take offence and I think in this case the intention is unknown which makes it harder to rationale.
I understand what you are saying, but as they were probably merry at the time, I don't think you should take it as offensive. A dearly loved hon. uncle always referred to himself as an old poof and it always made us laugh, which was his intention. Was he Gay, I think so although in those days nobody was quite so open about it, then again a woman going into a pub or club on her own was considered 'racy'!:ohmy: Words and their meanings have changed over the years, what was seen as an accepted word for a homosexual 30+ years ago, is now seen as offensive. Again, 30+ years ago, queer meant strange, now if you say he's queer, it is misunderstood.

Oh God yes and I always refer to myself as an old queen so I know the feeling! And you're right, Charles and Camilla were probably pissed at the time and poof was widely used back then. It's my 21st century gay-lib reflex reacting!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom