The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-25-2012, 12:02 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daria_S View Post
I'm working with pre-K kids this year, and I'm thinking of using this book to talk about different places and cultures in the world, Scotland and UK, in this case. I may also use it for early literacy skills, like being able to name the characters and places that were talked about in the story. It may be too advanced, so I will have to see what level my kids are at before even attempting a lesson plan. Even if I can't do anything literacy-related, I can at least get them hooked on the fact that the book was written by a prince . That alone ought to be a hit. Maybe they'll be inspired to 'write' their own stories.
That sounds like a wonderful idea! I remember when I was in kindergarten, we had a few lessons about different cultures from around the world; I'm quite certain I can trace my fascination with all things British back to those days (and of course the idea of royalty can really captivate young children); perhaps it will ignite similar interests in your students!

I haven't yet read "The Old Man of Lothnagar", but I think it's very sweet that, as a young man, he would take the time to write stories for his little brothers. I'm not sure how many men that age would do that. I think it highlights his sensitive side and also, as others have mentioned, his interest in storytelling. Among all the royal family, I think I tend to enjoy his speeches the most, as it often seems he puts extra effort to engage the audience.

Old 07-25-2012, 12:28 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabella View Post
That sounds like a wonderful idea! I remember when I was in kindergarten, we had a few lessons about different cultures from around the world; I'm quite certain I can trace my fascination with all things British back to those days (and of course the idea of royalty can really captivate young children); perhaps it will ignite similar interests in your students!

I haven't yet read "The Old Man of Lothnagar", but I think it's very sweet that, as a young man, he would take the time to write stories for his little brothers. I'm not sure how many men that age would do that. I think it highlights his sensitive side and also, as others have mentioned, his interest in storytelling. Among all the royal family, I think I tend to enjoy his speeches the most, as it often seems he puts extra effort to engage the audience.
Thank you for your encouraging words! I certainly hope that I'll be able to ignite some interest in things that are outside of realm of the Disney Channel, Sponge Bob, and video games when it comes to my students. I think Prince Charles would have made a great teacher for young children. He definitely knows how to captivate an audience, and I bet if he were given a chance to really have a go at a pre-K classroom, he'd be pretty unstoppable.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 07-25-2012, 01:23 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
I'm working with pre-K kids this year, and I'm thinking of using this book to talk about different places and cultures in the world, Scotland and UK, in this case. I may also use it for early literacy skills, like being able to name the characters and places that were talked about in the story. It may be too advanced
I haven't read the whole of it but what I have read is 'thick' and it strikes me as very place and culture specific. You can tell Charles was taking places and activities that his little brothers had personal experiences with - which would have made the story very exciting to them. And funny - some family jokes in there, I suspect. Very cute. Not sure the humor will 'fly', either, for the pre-K little ones - but if you do it, please tell how it goes.

Quote:
I think Prince Charles would have made a great teacher for young children. He definitely knows how to captivate an audience, and I bet if he were given a chance to really have a go at a pre-K classroom, he'd be pretty unstoppable.
I think he is university material. In fact he would be a simply super Cambridge tutor imo. I would certainly come to hear him lecture. I have wondered if it would be totally beyond the pale for the King of England to be a University Professor on his 'off hours'. Now that would be modernizing the monarchy!
Old 07-25-2012, 07:44 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyger View Post
I haven't read the whole of it but what I have read is 'thick' and it strikes me as very place and culture specific. You can tell Charles was taking places and activities that his little brothers had personal experiences with - which would have made the story very exciting to them. And funny - some family jokes in there, I suspect. Very cute. Not sure the humor will 'fly', either, for the pre-K little ones - but if you do it, please tell how it goes.

I think he is university material. In fact he would be a simply super Cambridge tutor imo. I would certainly come to hear him lecture. I have wondered if it would be totally beyond the pale for the King of England to be a University Professor on his 'off hours'. Now that would be modernizing the monarchy!
When I read the book, the first thing I noticed is that it would require me to do a whole unit on royalty/UK/Scotland in order to even read it. Almost every element was specific to that region and it would be inevitable for children to have some prior knowledge in order to even be interested in the story. I do love that Charles used the fact that his brothers had a great deal of prior knowledge and wrote the book in such a way that their schemas would be activated from pretty much the first page. Brilliant, in my eyes. I too thought the book was very funny (and I have no doubt that some family jokes were included), but I do see how that humor would be lost on any child without the prior knowledge or some sort of background information. I do think you have a great idea in terms of His Highness lecturing at Cambridge, or some other prestigious educational establishment. I'd definitely want to sit in on a lecture or two. He's absolutely brilliant. Now, I don't know if he could do lecturing full time when King, but maybe a guest lecturer? I think that would make the event even more special for the students, and they may actually want to attend class (at least on that day ). The reason that I suggested he'd be good with little ones, is because he has such a great imagination (just look at what he came up with for his younger brothers). I think he'd be great at telling stories and encouraging things like imaginative play and literacy. Kids at younger level have such few opportunities to learn through play while at school, and a person like His Highness, with his imagination and love for reading and great ability to tell stories is exactly what early years (pre-K-year 2) are in need of. Having said that, I think your students could really enjoy this book. You're teaching year five, so I'm sure there's some form of history/geography in the curriculum. This book would be such a treasure to teach about Scotland and UK. I hope you'll be able to find some use for it. Plus, sometimes even older kids love to listen to a story, and this book can be a delightful tool for read-alouds.

Old 07-25-2012, 08:02 PM
Serene Highness

I agree with you analysis, Daria_S.

As for my coming year I will be doing Ancient Civilizations and North American Geography in the Social Sciences so no luck there. I haven't read the whole of the book - 'twill see. It might have a place in Geology - in a light hearted way - not sure why I say that, but a hunch - linking the geology of an area to the experiences people have and the stories that emerge.
Old 07-25-2012, 08:07 PM
Majesty

Quote:
It might have a place in Geology - in a light hearted way - not sure why I say that, but a hunch - linking the geology of an area to the experiences people have and the stories that emerge.
Oh, there's so much you can do with that! The book can be a great way to have kids look at where they live and what kind of stories they would write, if given a chance.

Old 07-25-2012, 08:08 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Oh, there's so much you can do with that! The book can be a great way to have kids look at where they live and what kind of stories they would write, if given a chance.
Ah-Ha! I think we have the beginnings of a lesson plan, Daria_S!
Old 07-25-2012, 08:13 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Ah-Ha! I think we have the beginnings of a lesson plan, Daria_S!
Glad I can help . It's very scary how natural this was for me actually. Sometimes, I'll be looking at something in the bookstore, and think to myself 'I could really do something with this, if given the opportunity'. Of course this could also mean that I need to get out more (and not to the bookstore either ). I'd love to know how the lesson plan turns out.

Old 07-25-2012, 08:19 PM
Heir Apparent

Daria S and Tyger

Really pleased that you got the book - it is great fun. It was made into a film/children's programme which would need to have been adapted for a wider appeal than the 2 young princes for whom it was written. This might be available on u-tube. Just an idea.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 07-25-2012, 08:28 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
Daria S and Tyger

Really pleased that you got the book - it is great fun. It was made into a film/children's programme which would need to have been adapted for a wider appeal than the 2 young princes for whom it was written. This might be available on u-tube. Just an idea.
I'll have to look into that. Maybe showing the movie may activate some curiosity about the book. Thank you so much for mentioning the book earlier in the thread.

Old 07-25-2012, 08:30 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
I'd love to know how the lesson plan turns out.
No time soon - as Geology comes in the upper grades.

Cepe, I'll look into the film/show - see if I can see any snippets of it.
Old 09-03-2012, 01:27 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by olebabs View Post
There is threads discussing Diana's personality etc and threads discussing Camilla and her life. But what about a thread that discusses the man Charles?
Who is he? .

I don't have any special insights or information, so my own opinion is only based on his public persona and reports from the media, but I might as well throw my 2 cents in.

Charles spends a good deal of his personal time on charity work, mostly pertaining to the natural environment, heritage conservation and opportunities for young disadvantaged people. He voluntarily pays tax on his income from the Duchy of Cornwall, and dedicates a good chunk of what is left to charitable projects. (There are members of other royal families who seem to regard their position primarily as an opportunity for personal enrichment and Charles stands in contrast to these.)

► 10:12► 10:12

His recent address to the Rio+20 conference struck me as intelligent and moderate. www.youtube.com/watch?v=y129P8fVsVI

My impression is that he does care deeply about these issues. In general he strikes me as a modern minded man, with reasonable ideas about the role of the monarchy in the 21st century.

Obviously, I disapprove of his infidelity but the details of his life make me lenient in this regard. Charles fell in love with a woman when he was in his early 20s, and near as I can tell he has stayed in love with her for 40 years. He was informed that she was not an appropriate bride and that he, basically, was not allowed to pursue her seriously. This is not something that I ever had to face, and nor have most people. If anyone, even my parents, had forbidden me to marry my chosen bride I'd have told them to go hang, but he took his responsibilities seriously. She married someone else. They maintained an on-and-off clandestine relationship.

My impression is that Charles was pressured into choosing a suitable bride, and that the suitable bride turned out to be someone he did not connect well with. It has been suggested by some that his family is known for stoically putting up with bad marriages and that he could have done the same, but the fact is that some previous Princes of Wales have had life long mistresses, or gone chasing pretty young thing when his wife had faded, or even been outright whorers, and relied on matters to be hushed up, so it is not a fair comparison. Charles _married_ a pretty young thing, but had never got over the woman who (in all fairness) was not very pretty and older than himself. I tend to see him as a romantic who was not free to follow his heart.

I feel that to be the heir to the throne in the modern era is to have the worst of both worlds: you are still expected to be constrained in your actions and choices, but are no longer afforded privacy or deference by the media.

In summary I see Charles as a decent, intelligent man with many good properties, not a saint but also not someone with unusual or extreme flaws.
Old 09-23-2012, 04:08 PM
Courtier

Charles is the best of what we can have of him..

No one can be completely perfect in every aspect of life..He is a good father, son, and of course a leader (not politically though). But his marriage was unfortunate..leading people to mix up his character with the tragic destiny of his ex-wife..But I think we have a very good Prince of Wales..and that is more important..
I wonder how we people would have judged him, had he been like Nicolas II..remaining stedfastly devoted to his wife..an epic love story that never faded till death..but remained completely aloof to the needs of his country and people..Confining himself to just attending polo matches or European Royal Weddings,fully decked up..How long would Diana's charm satisfied the peoples scrutiny of "duty"..
And what if he started having a string of lovers..banking on his "single" status..And what if he started counter-bashing Diana..her character..question her suitability to be Queen-Consort..
Just trying to bring out some optimism to people who are frustated with him..

And one more thing..Prince Charles is the one who started this trend of royals founding their own charities with their own initiative and running them..Previously they were confined to ceremonial military roles or were just honorary heads of charities where they have nothing to do but come wave and go.In this way he has shown the light for an entire generation of Crown Princes and Crown Princesses to mould their "careers"..Guess which European nation today will tolerate its royals do nothing but come, salute, wave and go..
In this way isnt he a revolutionary?
Old 09-23-2012, 04:26 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkrish View Post

And one more thing..Prince Charles is the one who started this trend of royals founding their own charities with their own initiative and running them..
Well there was a little organization called the Duke of Edinburgh Awards and before that the Duke of York Youth Clubs so there was some precedence.
Old 09-23-2012, 04:31 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
Well there was a little organization called the Duke of Edinburgh Awards and before that the Duke of York Youth Clubs so there was some precedence.
Its all in the family. Like father, like son eh? British royals have been big on charities and causes for generations but I do think it was Philip's decision to actually make a role for himself with the Duke of Edinburgh Awards that influenced and steered Charles into working so hard at what he is passionate about with his Trust and patronages and causes.
Old 09-23-2012, 05:46 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
Except that the Duke of Edinburgh Awards scheme was mainly targeted at teenage school children, until a cross-party Parliamentary report in 1989 criticized it for being too elitist (mainly focused in UK on private school kids) and sexist (different schemes for boys and girls) and urged it to follow the model of the Prince's Trust.Whereas the Princes Trust has always from its beginnings in the mid 1970s targeted those who have 'failed' school or college and mainly focuses on helping those NEETS (Not in Education, Employment or Training) aged 16-28 with another branch helping long-term unemployed over 50.
Old 01-20-2013, 05:42 PM
Commoner

I've definitely warmed to Charles over the years. I remember when I first started off with my interest in royalty, and all I could see was the whole Diana saga. But over the years I've grown to like him, he's a man full of ideas and he's a great thinker with a wide range of interests. I think he will make a good King.
Old 01-20-2013, 06:26 PM
Serene Highness

Prince Charles is an interesting man never realized he had so many interests until I read a book about him. But I didn't really know that much about it. I never really had any strong feelings about him one way or another.
Old 01-20-2013, 08:43 PM
Heir Presumptive

I appreciate him very much, I was so happy to see him marry the love of his life, you can see and feel he is utterly happy now.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:30 PM
Heir Presumptive

Yes, he is and should have been. It is a pity he had to ruin someone else's life, before he got what he wanted. He deserved to marry the woman he loved from the get go. Diana deserved a man who loved her. The BRF have very strange standards and them blam others if they don't conform.

Tags
personality, prince charles