Camilla's Greek Vacation: September 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hornsen

Courtier
City
Hamburg
Country
Germany
So what´s the matter of holidaying without hubbie? After four(?) weeks Birkhall relaxing in the sun isn´bad at all. And women need a only-ladies-break sometimes. Particularly after that game. I don´t believe there was a big row between C+C. They have a steady relationship and know what the other needs.

Gossip colums are coming....
Camilla to take solo break
The Sun Online - Royals: Camilla to take solo break

Furious Camilla flees Britain without Charles after Diana memorial furore
Furious Camilla flees Britain without Charles after Diana memorial furore | the Daily Mail.
What's so odd about Camilla dissappearing for a few days in the sun with a few girlfirends? Its an entirely normal thing for any 60 year old Brit to do. I do wish the tabloids would stop trying to stir up trouble. I am sure this was pre-arranged a while ago. Hope she has a nice time!

Last edited by a moderator:
Well the Greek isles were kind to Camilla before! I think the trip will be a good way to recharge after all this stress. I hope she will take some letters with her to Greece, and I hope mine is in the stack! :D

How can the PoW reconcile his 'green environmentalism' with the DoC's lavish vacations on huge private oil guzzling yachts and planes? You would have to plant trees all over the entirety of england to 'offset' the enormous footprint left by these trips. Sound a bit of 'do as I say, not as I do' to me.

Charles is the eco-warrior, his wife isn't bound to his statements and unless she planned to swim to Greece I see no other option avaliable to her when going on holiday.

Charles is the eco-warrior, his wife isn't bound to his statements and unless she planned to swim to Greece I see no other option avaliable to her when going on holiday.
She couldn't go somewhere that didnt require a private yacht? How about Balmoral or Sandringham? It had to be Greece? And while it may be that Charles is the eco warrior, he's also the one footing the bill, so I would imagine he has some say.

So she can never go to Greece on holiday again? Come on, that's just silliness.

She couldn't go somewhere that didnt require a private yacht? How about Balmoral or Sandringham? It had to be Greece? And while it may be that Charles is the eco warrior, he's also the one footing the bill, so I would imagine he has some say.

Naw, I doubt Charles paid for this trip. I think her tycoon buddy paid for it. Very normal in the royal family. Prince William rarely pays for his trips. Prince Charles never did, because the PTs were always happy to pay for klosters and let him use their chalet, weren't they?

I am the one think Camilla probably needs some time and space to restore her mood balance about this stressful summer.Going to the sea and feeling the sunshine is a much better choice than staying Scotland at the end.Camilla is a summer child and she certainly loves the sea because she is a Cancerian and the sign is water. Not worrying about the bills and the carbon footprint, because Charles was not going and he is not paying the bills. This summer is a long summer for Camilla and Charles. The space and the time is always better for them to have their own reflection about the memories.

Just look forward to Camilla's future activities and their joint activities.

Science Daily says that this yacht burns 100 gallons of oil per hour. 2400 gallons daily for 7 days is 16,800 gallons of oil for the week, just for the boat, never mind the private jet. She couldnt get a villa on land? If Charles is going to be King and wants to be the eco warrior, how can Camilla continue to do the exact opposite of what her husband is suggesting that the rest of the country do? I realize he wants to indulge her, but then stop telling others to be green. Otherwise he comes off as a hippocrite.

She could get a villa on land but then she's going to be lambasted for splashing out on a villa and the flight out there and back. Leave the woman alone, she works hard and she wants a holiday.

and after the fire she's been through lately she more than DESERVES one. bless her heart to face the rest of my life knowing no matter what i do i'll be condemned for it, never be "good enough", never win for losing would be horrible. i don't envy her position- at least her husband adores her and she has the respect of her close friends and family, and being a down to earth, sensible woman hopefully it just rolls off her back. but still what a heavy burden that would grind you down over time (me anyway)

Look, going to Balmoral or Sandringham is like spending your holidays at your mother-in-law's. Who wants that even if he or she is fond of the in-laws?
What's that about Greece? It's not the Seychelles or Fidji, is it? In fact, it's a country whose touristy image suffered terribly these last days and weeks du to the fires - so it's really helpful that the duchess holidays there.

Camilla witch-hunt divides the Court of Prince Charles
Mandrake - Telegraph
It is finished and the summer has finished. I hope that everything will be back into the normal ways.

bbb: and after the fire she's been through lately she more than DESERVES one. bless her heart to face the rest of my life knowing no matter what i do i'll be condemned for it, never be "good enough", never win for losing would be horrible. i don't envy her position- at least her husband adores her and she has the respect of her close friends and family, and being a down to earth, sensible woman hopefully it just rolls off her back. but still what a heavy burden that would grind you down over time (me anyway)

BeatrixFan: Leave the woman alone, she works hard and she wants a holiday.

And let's face it -- none of us know anything about Camilla. She has never given an interview or even a real speech. No authorized biographies are out there. Supposedly she talked to The Sun about Diana, and Diana said a few things about her, and Charles said even fewer things and her step-sons said the fewest things yet. I haven't heard what her ex-husband has ever said about her. I haven't heard what her children thought of her as a mother. Except for the huge amount of hearsay, we know nothing for certain about Camilla. We don't know if she has the respect of her close friends and family or if she is really down to earth. We don't know if she is sensible or even what "normal" is for her. Does she think she works hard? Do her friends really think she is lazy? It's all a mystery. Is it a mystery nobody cares enough to wonder about?

We hear she's angry after the way the Diana Memorial played out. Is she really? Should she be angry, or should she just be relieved it's over, or was she completely indifferent to it?

The luxury yacht vacation does seem a bit excessive though. Did Diana ever do that while still married to Charles? Has QEII ever hired such a luxurious yacht vacation for herself and her friends only without Prince Philip? I can't imagine Prince Philip would approve this blatantly lavish vacation of Camilla anymore than he approved her last one.

Last edited:
Frankly, I dont have a problem with her taking luxurious vacations. I do have a problem with people who proclaim themselves environmentalists and tell people how they ought to live greenly then turn around and take a trip that is about as fuel hoggish as is possible, that's all (16,800 gallons worth). It just seems hypocritical to me. And as far as Balmoral and Sandringham are concerned, given how much of a fight it took for them to get married, I would think that the novelty of being royal would have not worn off quite yet. I thought she loved all those country pursuits...riding, hunting, fishing, watercolors, no?

Science Daily says that this yacht burns 100 gallons of oil per hour. 2400 gallons daily for 7 days is 16,800 gallons of oil for the week, just for the boat, never mind the private jet. She couldnt get a villa on land? If Charles is going to be King and wants to be the eco warrior, how can Camilla continue to do the exact opposite of what her husband is suggesting that the rest of the country do? I realize he wants to indulge her, but then stop telling others to be green. Otherwise he comes off as a hippocrite.

Well, your calculations are done under the presumption that the yacht is out to sea on every hour of each day of the week. They have port stops and spend time on the boat with the anchors out, don't they? In these situations, is the gallon output the same rate as being full speed ahead?

It´s right that many things we discuss in this forums are based on speculations and nobody of us has tea with Camilla. But that does not mean that we know nothing about her. We see how she behave in public (´down to earth´), we see her with family and friends in public (´closness to family and friends, ´loving wife and mother´). We know what people who met her say about her ( ´kind, warm, easy to talk´)...etc.
And when she wants to spend some days in Greece, where is the problem? We all would take a flight, we all want to have comfortable holidays.
After all these hard weeks i could understand if she would go for a month or two and not only for a week.
I wish her a happy relaxed wonderful time!:flowers:

Last edited:
You´re so right, milla Ca. All the stories abouth her carbon-footprint are ridiculous.

And as far as Balmoral and Sandringham are concerned, given how much of a fight it took for them to get married, I would think that the novelty of being royal would have not worn off quite yet. I thought she loved all those country pursuits...riding, hunting, fishing, watercolors, no?

Following your arguments I can see no connections of Camilla´s love for Scotland, her marrige, her royal status.....and a week holidays on a yacht in Greece.
I can only see the attempt to write something bad about Camilla.

Last edited:
All the stories abouth her carbon-footprint are ridiculous.

milla Ca said:
I can only see the attempt to write something bad about Camilla.

The carbon footprint calculations of the press are biased, at any rate. They aren't precise. They can't be precise, because they are done under presumption of constant rates. The speed and oil output of the yacht cannot be constant, for the yacht is often at port or at idle speed, and these calculations do not account for those times. As milla says, it is all just another reason to criticize Camilla, and take a side swipe at Charles, who is not involved at all, because he is neither part of the holidays nor paying for it! :lol:

bbb: and after the fire she's been through lately she more than DESERVES one. bless her heart to face the rest of my life knowing no matter what i do i'll be condemned for it, never be "good enough", never win for losing would be horrible. i don't envy her position- at least her husband adores her and she has the respect of her close friends and family, and being a down to earth, sensible woman hopefully it just rolls off her back. but still what a heavy burden that would grind you down over time (me anyway)

BeatrixFan: Leave the woman alone, she works hard and she wants a holiday.

And let's face it -- none of us know anything about Camilla. She has never given an interview or even a real speech. No authorized biographies are out there. Supposedly she talked to The Sun about Diana, and Diana said a few things about her, and Charles said even fewer things and her step-sons said the fewest things yet. I haven't heard what her ex-husband has ever said about her. I haven't heard what her children thought of her as a mother. Except for the huge amount of hearsay, we know nothing for certain about Camilla. We don't know if she has the respect of her close friends and family or if she is really down to earth. We don't know if she is sensible or even what "normal" is for her. Does she think she works hard? Do her friends really think she is lazy? It's all a mystery. Is it a mystery nobody cares enough to wonder about?

We hear she's angry after the way the Diana Memorial played out. Is she really? Should she be angry, or should she just be relieved it's over, or was she completely indifferent to it?

The luxury yacht vacation does seem a bit excessive though. Did Diana ever do that while still married to Charles? Has QEII ever hired such a luxurious yacht vacation for herself and her friends only without Prince Philip? I can't imagine Prince Philip would approve this blatantly lavish vacation of Camilla anymore than he approved her last one.

It's true we never have heard APB speak about her but sometimes actions are as loud as words. From all accounts, they are still really good friends.
Rosemary and Andrew have dinner at Highgrove on a regular basis. When they have parties, they attend. They were at Camilla's 60th party. Andrew visits Camilla at her house.
Her son Tom has spoken of Camilla extremely well quite a few times. Read the interviews he has given or in his books and articles, he mentions her and his childhood. Laura has also spoken well of her Mother although to a much lesser extent since she very rarely gives interviews. From all accounts, Camilla is very close to her children.
The majority of people who know Camilla and have spoken of her, speak very well of her. Jilly Cooper for example The say she is sensible, funny and down to earth. "Lovely person". She really isn't the huge mystery your trying to make her out to be.
I didn't know Camilla asked and needed Philip's opinion and advice on her holiday plans. And if Diana didn't do it, Camilla can't? IMO it's not excessive if you consider security and the paparazzi, then the yacht is a great choice.
And who wouldn't be angry about how the Diana memorial played out if you were in her position? I am sure she is glad the summer is over. A lot of people are.

Diana and Charles went on many cruises both together and separately. Charles's old friend, the late John Latsis, lent them his yacht, the Alexander, a few times. And they also cruised with the Spanish royals on the Fortuna at least once or twice. It's not excessive or inappropriate, let alone unusual, by any means. What is wrong with a cruise? Prince William and his friends, including Kate Middleton, chartered a yacht when they went to Ibiza last summer. Why should it be a problem with HM?

Last edited:
Well, your calculations are done under the presumption that the yacht is out to sea on every hour of each day of the week. They have port stops and spend time on the boat with the anchors out, don't they? In these situations, is the gallon output the same rate as being full speed ahead?

It may not be 'out to sea' but I feel sure that air conditionting, Hot water, cooking and laundry are being done for the guests and the 100 staff even when the yacht is not motoring along at 30 knots. Any of you all been on a commercial cruise ship? just because the ship is stationary does not mean it stopped burning all that oil.

I'm going to repeat it because some of the Camilla claque seem to defend her blindly...I dont have a problem with her taking an ultra luxury vacation, after all thney have the wallet for it. I have a problem with the hypocracy of someone saying everyone else must be green and then taking a hugely fuel hoggish trip at least once a year. If thats the kind of life you live (and can afford to) then live like that and stop pretending that you dont, thats all.

Last edited by a moderator:
She could get a villa on land but then she's going to be lambasted for splashing out on a villa and the flight out there and back. Leave the woman alone, she works hard and she wants a holiday.

I actually agree with Scooter on this. At least a villa wouldn't be producing mass quantities of effluence like an oil driven yacht.

My intial thought was, as you have made mention above Sam, why not require the use of a villa? The Italian Riviera perhaps or something along those lines.

There should be no issue about HRH going on a holiday to Greece, the Greek Islands or indeed on a holdiay at all, but when your husband is internationally recognised as being an 'ambassador' for eco sustainability, it does seem somewhat of a nerve to then go out and make use of an oil driven yacht for a week or two, whether sought by Camilla, Charles or whoever.

So she can never go to Greece on holiday again? Come on, that's just silliness.

I must agree, this is all silliness. She is wealthy and has the opportunity to travel, why shouldn't she? Stop with the carbon footprint or no one will be able to go anywhere. Yes, there is the hypocritcal aspect , but you can find that in everything. That she went with friends, so what. The Queen didn't have to hire a luxurious yacht, she owned one, until recently. And Philip went off for months by himself. This is as Beatrix Fan says just silliness.

........................That she went with friends, so what. The Queen didn't have to hire a luxurious yacht, she owned one, until recently. And Philip went off for months by himself.

Did the Queen ever go off sailing by herself without her husband? I don't think so -- she was too busy counting her tupperwear. What a thrifty queen the British do have! Oh vey, let me back up...............ah, that sounds like the height of hypocrisy. Oh well, forget it.

Did the Queen ever go off sailing by herself without her husband? I don't think so -- she was too busy counting her tupperwear. What a thrifty queen the British do have!

What the hell are you on about?

What the hell are you on about?

Elspeth?!!! What the hell kind of question are you trying to ask?

All I was trying to say was I've heard bleatings over the years from the palace about how Charles is too extravagant. But then when I start to think of some of the lifestyle details of the Queen and Prince Philip, I realized they have no room to complain about Charles's extravagance.

Does that smooth the tizzies?

Elspeth?!!! What the hell kind of question are you trying to ask?

I'm just wondering why this thread turned into a sarcastic attack on the Queen, all of a sudden.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom