Camilla's Greek Vacation: September 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
And we know this how? Just because someone's had an affair, doesn't make them the village bike you know.

Love your anaolgy. Never heard that expression before. Actually, her past was her problem with Charles before Andrew. She wasn't tidy enough. All that snottiness to end up with the same package. I don't think she cared.

Hello - This is a thread about Camillas vacation. We are not going to turn this into YET ANOTHER thread about the C-C-D relationship.

Thanks for your understanding!

Empress

Aegean and Cyclades

I think Camilla has impeccable taste in vacations to go to Greece.[ wish she would take me along]Now now this is one lady who has not been politically incorrect and vacationing in Greece is not like vacationing in Italy . In Greece they are frugal in their ways ; even the superwealthy.The climate of course is rejuvenating and so the waters of the Aegean if swiming.There is less humidity than in Italy.
I wonder if Charles will go to MT.Athos this year as he usually does each year?
Camilla you go girl.You understand the Sun, the ocean etc.As for the yacht and what it burns ; beats me why anyone would be concerned.
Have lovely trip and Godspeed.

Last edited:
All women deserve a vacation away from their nerve racking husbands....royal or not.......I hope she had fun and got some r&r.

But I've got to say, I'm a little miffed at her that she didn't invite me to go!

Camilla's had a difficult few weeks. I hope she's had a wonderful holiday and comes back refreshed and happy.

I hope Camilla had a good holiday. She has been through a tough time lately, she needed some time to "re-group & re-charge".

Last edited:
........She wanted to go to Greece, she went to Greece. With all the pollution put out like countries like China and the USA who aren't committed to doing anything about climate change, I doubt one little jaunt in a boat is going to make any difference in the grand scheme of things. And come on, it's Charles who's the green spokesman, not Camilla. If we were all supposed to be a carbon copy of what our partners say and do, I'd probably be a useless lowlife by now.
The yacht was booked to go, no matter who was going to be on it. Camilla has a week without Charles at least once a year, what is the problem?

The amount of other energy saving measures they take in all their homes, more than makes up for Camilla's portion of the energy used by a yacht and of course they do use a carbon footprint off-setting scheme!

Over here across the pond the former Vice President Al Gore is having a second career as an environmental crusader (anyone seen 'An Inconvenient Truth'). If Mrs Gore were to take a vacation as conspicuously fuel hoggish as the one Camilla has taken it would be on every news broadcast. I dont think that there is a single person who minds her going on vacation without Dear Hubby. It's the other matter that concerns me. I think she would have had much less bad press if she had rented/borrowed a suitable villa. Frankly, after the whole PR fiasco of the memorial service, this was not the time for a trip like this one. She had already taken a bit of a beating in the media lately, without adding this. I dont think it helps the public perception of her. That being said, I enjoy Greece myself, so I can see why she likes to go there.

I would like to sign up for the one week with my husband and family! Good for her, sorry it was not me! I think that we should all have a week or weekend with our friends.

If I am wrong would someone from the UK correct me?

IMO this thread is making a bigger deal out of Camilla holiday on a yacht then the UK press is, I read British papers and it doesn't seem Camilla's trip got that much coverage.

It might come up later when some attacks Charle' green credentials but I don't get the impression that right now it is an issue.

But with renting a villa there wouldn´t be less problems. There would be again the question: who payed for it? Is this house eco-friendly :rolleyes:?...Think of the paparazzis! We would see Camilla in morning-suits, in trousers, in bikini, with bad hair...She couldn´t do one trip there, everywhere paparazzis. And the caretaker would be her lover...:lol:

If I am wrong would someone from the UK correct me?

IMO this thread is making a bigger deal out of Camilla holiday on a yacht then the UK press is, I read British papers and it doesn't seem Camilla's trip got that much coverage.

It might come up later when some attacks Charle' green credentials but I don't get the impression that right now it is an issue.

I think you are right. It really doesn't much matter.

some opinions will never change no matter what she does, so the duchess should do what she wants when she wants to and the rest be danged. hope she's having a wonderful time and laughing it up with friends (all women need to get away, its healthy- you come back recharged and feeling 20 yrs younger) this whole "green thing" is just a swipe at camilla, she could have walked to a a tepee in the desert -someone would come up with a reason she was "bad" camilla.

bbb, it is NOT a swipe at Camilla. Charles goes out on a limb instructing people on the need to be environmentally green. If you are going to lecture others, set your own house in order. As the bible says, let him without sin cast the first stone. Or as we say it in NYC people in glass houses shouldnt throw stones. If you want to have a vacation like that, dont tell others that they must live in a green fashion, when your spouse conspicuously does not. It is very frustrating to me that anything other that isnt she great is seen as a swipe. I sometimes get the feeling from the Camilla cheering section that if she were videotaped axe murdering a child we would be getting posts like "well done! HRH handled the axe in a masterful fashion and the color of the blood so enhanced her hair and jewels". Not everything is a swipe at Camilla. But in this case, I think this particular trip was a bad choice, especially coming on the heels of the memorial service fiasco. She has not been well advised of late, IMO, by whomever. After the memorial service she needed to have some good press on the heels of it, to ameliorate the damage done. The combination of these two poor choices has undone a lot of the spadework put in in the last 3 years. Just my 2 cents.:flowers:

It may not be 'out to sea' but I feel sure that air conditionting, Hot water, cooking and laundry are being done for the guests and the 100 staff even when the yacht is not motoring along at 30 knots. Any of you all been on a commercial cruise ship? just because the ship is stationary does not mean it stopped burning all that oil.

Sure, I will grant you that oil is used no matter what. No brainer there. But what I was trying to point out is this: the calculations are biased because they are based on constant circumstances, whether traveling at however many knots during 24 hrs. So these figures aren't real. You really have no idea what the actual "carbon footprint" is.

Over here across the pond the former Vice President Al Gore is having a second career as an environmental crusader (anyone seen 'An Inconvenient Truth'). If Mrs Gore were to take a vacation as conspicuously fuel hoggish as the one Camilla has taken it would be on every news broadcast. I dont think that there is a single person who minds her going on vacation without Dear Hubby. It's the other matter that concerns me. I think she would have had much less bad press if she had rented/borrowed a suitable villa. Frankly, after the whole PR fiasco of the memorial service, this was not the time for a trip like this one. She had already taken a bit of a beating in the media lately, without adding this. I dont think it helps the public perception of her. That being said, I enjoy Greece myself, so I can see why she likes to go there.

Just re your Al Gore analogy - not that long ago, the Gores had an awful lot of bad press when it was revealed that the electricity bill for their home was of the order of 7-8 times the bill for the average American home. The point that both Al and Charles have been trying to make is that there is quite a lot we can do to reduce our carbon footprint, without radically altering our lives. I dont think if you are an "environmental crusader" you will stop flying on vacation - you will just ensure that you are careful as you go along. Extending this line o argument, does Al Gore cycle to his vacation?

If you want to have a vacation like that, dont tell others that they must live in a green fashion, when your spouse conspicuously does not.:flowers:
None of us are perfect, Al Gore, seen as a great environmentalist drives about in a mega fuel guzzleing vehicle. However his film has raised the awareness of the problems we are all creating.

How many people on here can say they are concerned about the environment enough to swop all their light bulbs, walk everywhere, recycle everything, only purchase environmentally friendly items. Use a log fire to heat their house, cook their meals, etc, etc. Less than 000.01% I would guess. I like many use an off setting scheme to try to lessen any impact I am making and we know Charles and Camilla do the same.

It is not a case of Charles telling people they must do this or that, all he has ever said is look at the damage you are doing and try to lessen it, IMO. He has pointed out the changes some countries and companies could make to reduce their impact.

Camilla is not a saint, nor does she want to be seen as one, IMO.

CDE you are right, there has been virtually nothing in the media about Camilla's break, because they are all jetting about on their carbon guzzleing holidays at the moment! :lol: It is just on TRF everyone is getting their rocks off!

bbb, it is NOT a swipe at Camilla. Charles goes out on a limb instructing people on the need to be environmentally green. If you are going to lecture others, set your own house in order. As the bible says, let him without sin cast the first stone. Or as we say it in NYC people in glass houses shouldnt throw stones. If you want to have a vacation like that, dont tell others that they must live in a green fashion, when your spouse conspicuously does not.

You have chosen to ignore more than one poster who have pointed out that Charles and Clarence House buys off sets, to make themselves carbon neutral. This is public information as Clarence House has released it, Charles and Camilla's travels are off set. Therefore it is not hypocritical on Charles or Camilla's part, Charles in particular is practising what he is lecturing!

Clarence House press office have issued a report on Charles's environmental efforts, before condemning him, please inform yourself ( at least read it!) This report is in relation to his travel, his cars, his properties etc.

In regards to Al Gore, yes he was criticised for his large electricity bill. But again his office released a statement showing that he also bought carbon off sets, a statement conveniently ignored by those who wish to criticise him.

How many trees do you have to plant to 'offset' a trip like that?

In regards to Al Gore, yes he was criticised for his large electricity bill. But again his office released a statement showing that he also bought carbon off sets, a statement conveniently ignored by those who wish to criticise him.
I have no wish to criticise him at all, I think he is wonderful and along with Charles has probably done more to raise our awareness of the damage we are causing, than most other people! :flowers:

How many trees do you have to plant to 'offset' a trip like that?

We're not talking the Amazon forest here! Camilla is only responsible for her carbon footprint and that's what she off sets. The UK to Greece isn't a long distance, the plane flight carbon emissions are divided among all the passengers. As it was a private jet, smaller and lighter than a commercial plane the carbon emissions are lower. The same with the yacht, whatever the carbon emissions, they are divided among all the passengers. ( Anyone can off set their carbon emissions to live a carbon neutral life, a company that sells off sets has formulae to calculate it. Ordinary people who are environmentally aware buy these off sets, it's not an exclusive thing and more people are encouraged to do so. Not just those who travel but anyone who drives a car, uses electricity in their home etc)

The young Norwegian royals, also very environmentally conscious off set, their plane travel. They off set an official trip to India, via Dubai and one to South Korea via Bangkok. They also travel via the royal yacht along the coast of Norway, ( it has engines, it's not a sail boat). Their travel carbon emissions in the last year were far more than this one holiday trip of Camilla's and there was no new forest springing up in the world caused by the planting of trees to off set their carbon emissions.

Skydragon I wasn't sniping at particularly at you with my Al Gore comment, it was a general frustration that as he's put his head above the parapet ( like Charles has) making people aware of environmental issues. Then critics who want to discredit what he has to say use selective bits of information to do that. Rather than doing some research and reporting accurately. ( Charles here too!):flowers:

Last edited:
Then critics who want to discredit what he has to say use selective bits of information to do that. Rather than doing some research and reporting accurately. ( Charles here too!):flowers:

This is exactly the problem. People who have an interest against the environmental awareness (politicians, businessmen, right wing press) love to point to bits of "examples of hypocrisy" to discredit the environmentalists. :bang:

Camilla´s greek cruise is over now, isn´t it?
But i´m sure there will be a new thread when she starts her annual trip next year...And everybody then will have a new chance to work out her carbon footprint ....:lol:

We're not talking the Amazon forest here! Camilla is only responsible for her carbon footprint and that's what she off sets.
So if I'm doing the math correctly, she's on the yacht with 99 servants, she's only responsible for 1% of the 16,800 gallons of oil? That hardly seems right as the entire trip was for her personally, otherwise none of the others on board would have been there?

I'll have to try the logic of a private jet is smaller and lighter and there fore better for the environment with my DH. I'm not sure he'll go for it!:flowers:

Last edited by a moderator:
So if I'm doing the math correctly, she's on the yacht with 99 servants, she's only responsible for 1% of the 16,800 gallons of oil? That hardly seems right as the entire trip was for her personally, otherwise none of the others on board would have been there?
That isn't quite how it works, (as I think you know). Each guest on the yacht works out their own carbon footprint, if there were 10 'guests', they would have their footprint worked out themselves. I should think that CH also works out the footprint for protection officers and any personal servants.
We can only be responsible for our own footprint, we cannot take on the footprint of other peoples employees. If the yacht had not been offered to Camilla and her party, it would have been used any way, they don't stick it in dry dock the rest of the year. :flowers:

That isn't quite how it works, (as I think you know). Each guest on the yacht works out their own carbon footprint, if there were 10 'guests', they would have their footprint worked out themselves. I should think that CH also works out the footprint for protection officers and any personal servants.
We can only be responsible for our own footprint, we cannot take on the footprint of other peoples employees. If the yacht had not been offered to Camilla and her party, it would have been used any way, they don't stick it in dry dock the rest of the year. :flowers:

i'm so relieved;) i've got enough to worry about lol ummmmm since my cows contribute and they're animals and can't compute themselves, am i responsible for their footprint?? i'm sorry i'm being silly because this line struck me funny :ROFLMAO: i hope the duchess is revived, refreshed and feeling grand after an enjoyable holiday- last vacation with her daughter alone, next year there will be a baby and a whole new focus of happiness.:flowers:

i'm so relieved;) i've got enough to worry about lol ummmmm since my cows contribute and they're animals and can't compute themselves, am i responsible for their footprint??.:flowers:
Haven't you seen them in the field with their calculators and measuring sticks? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Do they count, theirs would be a carbon hoof print!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom