The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-07-2007, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornsen View Post
All the stories abouth her carbon-footprint are ridiculous.
Quote:
Originally Posted by milla Ca
I can only see the attempt to write something bad about Camilla.
The carbon footprint calculations of the press are biased, at any rate. They aren't precise. They can't be precise, because they are done under presumption of constant rates. The speed and oil output of the yacht cannot be constant, for the yacht is often at port or at idle speed, and these calculations do not account for those times. As milla says, it is all just another reason to criticize Camilla, and take a side swipe at Charles, who is not involved at all, because he is neither part of the holidays nor paying for it!

Old 09-07-2007, 05:13 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhontella View Post
bbb: and after the fire she's been through lately she more than DESERVES one. bless her heart to face the rest of my life knowing no matter what i do i'll be condemned for it, never be "good enough", never win for losing would be horrible. i don't envy her position- at least her husband adores her and she has the respect of her close friends and family, and being a down to earth, sensible woman hopefully it just rolls off her back. but still what a heavy burden that would grind you down over time (me anyway)

BeatrixFan: Leave the woman alone, she works hard and she wants a holiday.

And let's face it -- none of us know anything about Camilla. She has never given an interview or even a real speech. No authorized biographies are out there. Supposedly she talked to The Sun about Diana, and Diana said a few things about her, and Charles said even fewer things and her step-sons said the fewest things yet. I haven't heard what her ex-husband has ever said about her. I haven't heard what her children thought of her as a mother. Except for the huge amount of hearsay, we know nothing for certain about Camilla. We don't know if she has the respect of her close friends and family or if she is really down to earth. We don't know if she is sensible or even what "normal" is for her. Does she think she works hard? Do her friends really think she is lazy? It's all a mystery. Is it a mystery nobody cares enough to wonder about?

We hear she's angry after the way the Diana Memorial played out. Is she really? Should she be angry, or should she just be relieved it's over, or was she completely indifferent to it?

The luxury yacht vacation does seem a bit excessive though. Did Diana ever do that while still married to Charles? Has QEII ever hired such a luxurious yacht vacation for herself and her friends only without Prince Philip? I can't imagine Prince Philip would approve this blatantly lavish vacation of Camilla anymore than he approved her last one.
It's true we never have heard APB speak about her but sometimes actions are as loud as words. From all accounts, they are still really good friends.
Rosemary and Andrew have dinner at Highgrove on a regular basis. When they have parties, they attend. They were at Camilla's 60th party. Andrew visits Camilla at her house.
Her son Tom has spoken of Camilla extremely well quite a few times. Read the interviews he has given or in his books and articles, he mentions her and his childhood. Laura has also spoken well of her Mother although to a much lesser extent since she very rarely gives interviews. From all accounts, Camilla is very close to her children.
The majority of people who know Camilla and have spoken of her, speak very well of her. Jilly Cooper for example The say she is sensible, funny and down to earth. "Lovely person". She really isn't the huge mystery your trying to make her out to be.
I didn't know Camilla asked and needed Philip's opinion and advice on her holiday plans. And if Diana didn't do it, Camilla can't? IMO it's not excessive if you consider security and the paparazzi, then the yacht is a great choice.
And who wouldn't be angry about how the Diana memorial played out if you were in her position? I am sure she is glad the summer is over. A lot of people are.

Old 09-07-2007, 05:26 PM

Quote:
The luxury yacht vacation does seem a bit excessive though. Did Diana ever do that while still married to Charles? Has QEII ever hired such a luxurious yacht vacation for herself and her friends only without Prince Philip? I can't imagine Prince Philip would approve this blatantly lavish vacation of Camilla anymore than he approved her last one.
Diana and Charles went on many cruises both together and separately. Charles's old friend, the late John Latsis, lent them his yacht, the Alexander, a few times. And they also cruised with the Spanish royals on the Fortuna at least once or twice. It's not excessive or inappropriate, let alone unusual, by any means. What is wrong with a cruise? Prince William and his friends, including Kate Middleton, chartered a yacht when they went to Ibiza last summer. Why should it be a problem with HM?
Old 09-07-2007, 09:58 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasiraghiTrio View Post
Well, your calculations are done under the presumption that the yacht is out to sea on every hour of each day of the week. They have port stops and spend time on the boat with the anchors out, don't they? In these situations, is the gallon output the same rate as being full speed ahead?
It may not be 'out to sea' but I feel sure that air conditionting, Hot water, cooking and laundry are being done for the guests and the 100 staff even when the yacht is not motoring along at 30 knots. Any of you all been on a commercial cruise ship? just because the ship is stationary does not mean it stopped burning all that oil.

I'm going to repeat it because some of the Camilla claque seem to defend her blindly...I dont have a problem with her taking an ultra luxury vacation, after all thney have the wallet for it. I have a problem with the hypocracy of someone saying everyone else must be green and then taking a hugely fuel hoggish trip at least once a year. If thats the kind of life you live (and can afford to) then live like that and stop pretending that you dont, thats all.
Old 09-07-2007, 11:08 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan View Post
She could get a villa on land but then she's going to be lambasted for splashing out on a villa and the flight out there and back. Leave the woman alone, she works hard and she wants a holiday.
I actually agree with Scooter on this. At least a villa wouldn't be producing mass quantities of effluence like an oil driven yacht.

My intial thought was, as you have made mention above Sam, why not require the use of a villa? The Italian Riviera perhaps or something along those lines.

There should be no issue about HRH going on a holiday to Greece, the Greek Islands or indeed on a holdiay at all, but when your husband is internationally recognised as being an 'ambassador' for eco sustainability, it does seem somewhat of a nerve to then go out and make use of an oil driven yacht for a week or two, whether sought by Camilla, Charles or whoever.

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 09-07-2007, 11:29 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
So she can never go to Greece on holiday again? Come on, that's just silliness.
I must agree, this is all silliness. She is wealthy and has the opportunity to travel, why shouldn't she? Stop with the carbon footprint or no one will be able to go anywhere. Yes, there is the hypocritcal aspect , but you can find that in everything. That she went with friends, so what. The Queen didn't have to hire a luxurious yacht, she owned one, until recently. And Philip went off for months by himself. This is as Beatrix Fan says just silliness.
Old 09-08-2007, 12:10 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNTESS View Post
........................That she went with friends, so what. The Queen didn't have to hire a luxurious yacht, she owned one, until recently. And Philip went off for months by himself.
Did the Queen ever go off sailing by herself without her husband? I don't think so -- she was too busy counting her tupperwear. What a thrifty queen the British do have! Oh vey, let me back up...............ah, that sounds like the height of hypocrisy. Oh well, forget it.
Old 09-08-2007, 12:24 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Did the Queen ever go off sailing by herself without her husband? I don't think so -- she was too busy counting her tupperwear. What a thrifty queen the British do have!
What the hell are you on about?
Old 09-08-2007, 01:15 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
What the hell are you on about?
Elspeth?!!! What the hell kind of question are you trying to ask?

All I was trying to say was I've heard bleatings over the years from the palace about how Charles is too extravagant. But then when I start to think of some of the lifestyle details of the Queen and Prince Philip, I realized they have no room to complain about Charles's extravagance.

Does that smooth the tizzies?
Old 09-08-2007, 01:48 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Elspeth?!!! What the hell kind of question are you trying to ask?
I'm just wondering why this thread turned into a sarcastic attack on the Queen, all of a sudden.
Old 09-08-2007, 03:01 AM

NEWS OF THE WORLD: "Wait Until I'm Queen"
by Ryan Saby and James Weatherup

Old 09-08-2007, 03:58 AM
Heir Apparent

No no no! They got it all wrong!! What HRH said was "Just wait until I'm Princess Consort"....

Could you imagine what HM The Queen's reception would be to such a statement? I dare say Her Majesty's response towards Camilla, would be as ice cold as an Arctic glacier. I can't say whether or not there has been any tension, my guess would be that there has to some extent, but the thought that Camilla would make the comment just doesn't really sit with me.

Though unfortunately, there's more people against than for, in the case of Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall and I think it's only now that she's starting to take a greater regard of that. The honeymoon is well and truly over!

My guess (though you certainly wouldn't need any degree to work it out) is that she's feeling particularly vulnerable.

Old 09-08-2007, 04:31 AM

I'd like to think she did say "Wait until I'm Queen". We need a little Princess Michael passion in the RF.
Old 09-08-2007, 05:07 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
I'd like to think she did say "Wait until I'm Queen". We need a little Princess Michael passion in the RF.
Then you mistake 'passion' for 'threats', and need it be reminded, both have been a troublesome "venture" for the BRF.

Old 09-08-2007, 05:28 AM

I think it's more putting people in their place. For too long, the aides have thought themselves the Royals and that needs to change.
Old 09-08-2007, 06:00 AM
Heir Apparent

Of course, newsoftheworld is the top-choice, when we want credible information.

Just my two cents: if I were Camilla and had to go through everything she had benn through, I would rent the most expensive yacht, villa and whatever there is and would try to have the best time possible. Just exactly what she did.
Women do need some quality time for themselves, and aftres stressful time like that, paradise in Greece would be perfect, especially if you don't have to play for it.

The whole circus surrounding the Memorial Service almost broke me down, and thankfully I didn't have to endure nasty articles about me everyday.

Prince Charles promotes green issues, his wife has never spoken of her views on the subject.
Queen Elizabeth: "I cannot lead you into battle, I do not give you laws or administer justice but I can do something else, I can give you my heart and my devotion to these old islands and to all the peoples of our brotherhood of nations." God, Save The Queen!
Old 09-08-2007, 06:03 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Did the Queen ever go off sailing by herself without her husband? .
She did last year. The Queen's 80th birthday present to herself was to hire a yacht and cruise the west (east?) coast of Scotland like she used to each year when the Britannia was still in action. Philip was not on the cruise from the very beginning, various members of the royal family joined the cruise at different ports, he came on board later in the cruise.

The whole carbon footprint arguement and claiming hypocrisy is just petty, whatever carbon footprint the yacht is making that Camilla is on with her friends, the footprint is divided among all the guests, not just Camilla. ( And that included the private jet travel) It's easy enough to buy the ofsets, Norwegian royals Haakon and Mette-Marit ofset their airtravel, last year they travelled to India, this year to South Korea, that's a lot of jet fuel, particularly since they didn't go direct. On the way to India they had a holiday in Dubai, on the way to South Korea they holidayed in Thailand. These flights were ofset so I don't think it's that difficult to ofset one portion of a Greek cruise.
Old 09-08-2007, 06:10 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Royale View Post
No no no! They got it all wrong!! What HRH said was "Just wait until I'm Princess Consort"....
No, opf course she said: wait till my darling husband is king while I'm ruling in his stead when it comes to household affairs...
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 09-08-2007, 06:11 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
I think it's more putting people in their place.
Putting coutiers in 'their place' could cause more trouble than what it's worth. Not a very bright idea that one I'm affraid

Old 09-08-2007, 06:12 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
I think it's more putting people in their place. For too long, the aides have thought themselves the Royals and that needs to change.
Yes, you're right. And I believe Camilla is well able to provide Charles with the cozy atmosphere he needs at home while OTOH ruling with an iron fist in a gentle gauntlet.

She is a lot like the Queen Mother in that respect.

'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.

Tags
camilla, duchess of cornwall, greece, holiday, vacation