Camilla Parker-Bowles

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Like I said, I never thought that Diana was an infallable person. I know she was wrong with sleeping with other people's husband as well. However that is not the point of this and if you look at the timeline, Charles and Camilla started going on behind her back soon after Harry's birth, approximately five years after they married. It's common decency to officially end one relationship before starting another one.

Oh, I know my forgiveness isn't being asked. I said that in the context that if it was my husband's mistress marrying my ex-husband, I hardly think that I'd be tripping over myself to give them my blessing.

I really have to hand it to Camilla; From royal mistress to royal wife in no time, no matter how many lives she and Charles had to affect to get there. Not only Diana, mind you. Her children and Andrew Parker Bowles' children as well.

Tenacious, she is.

What irks me about this topic is that someone who has hurt a lot of people is seemingly being legitimized and rewarded.

I have always been thoroughly confused about the whole Charles /Diana fiasco. I mean, how does one assess who was right/wrong in the muddle between the two? I am thus grateful to Nicholas Soames M.P. ( an extremley close friend of Charles & Camilla's) who said during the week that, " I'm delighted at the engagement. Prince Charles and Mrs.Parker-Bowles have been in love for the best part of 35 years". My husband, who has absolutley no interest in the Royals, has often said, " Well, what chance did she (Diana) have?" On probing him further on the matter (Well I had to move quickley as he NEVER and I mean NEVER gets involved in this particular subject) he said, " Well, some people have called her mad havn't they? But it's generally agreed that Camilla has always been the love of Charles' life so it wouldn't have been relevent who Charles had married if his heart had always been with Camilla. I

susan alicia said:
he must be getting something out of their relationship that makes him happy, look to what lengths he is going because he obviously loves her

Exactly. Charles is putting a lot on the line professionally for some personal happiness. If he didn't really love or care for Camilla or feel that he was benefitting from the relationship he wouldn't risk his role as King to marry her nor would he be ruffling the family feathers and creating more ripples and gossip around his family to be marrying someone he only half cared about or was just passing the time with.

Camilla Parker-Bowles attends the Sir Angus Ogilvy Service of Thanksgiving at Westminster Abbey on March 2, 2005 in London, England. The 76-year old husband of Princess Alexandra died on Boxing Day 2004, and was burried on January 5, 2005.

(there are a few more very similar pics at Getty)

Attachments

• Camilla Ogilvy thanksgiving 2 mars 2005_1.jpg
    Camilla Ogilvy thanksgiving 2 mars 2005_1.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 653
  • Camilla Ogilvy thanksgiving 2 mars 2005_2.jpg
    Camilla Ogilvy thanksgiving 2 mars 2005_2.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 511
  • Camilla Ogilvy thanksgiving 2 mars 2005_3.jpg
    Camilla Ogilvy thanksgiving 2 mars 2005_3.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 429
Camilla's Diamond Brooch

Note that Camilla is proudly wearing her Prince of Wales Feathers diamond brooch.

As she should.

But it's reassuring that the Queen Mother teaspoons are still a big seller.

james said:
I have always been thoroughly confused about the whole Charles /Diana fiasco. I mean, how does one assess who was right/wrong in the muddle between the two? I am thus grateful to Nicholas Soames M.P. ( an extremley close friend of Charles & Camilla's) who said during the week that, " I'm delighted at the engagement. Prince Charles and Mrs.Parker-Bowles have been in love for the best part of 35 years". My husband, who has absolutley no interest in the Royals, has often said, " Well, what chance did she (Diana) have?" On probing him further on the matter (Well I had to move quickley as he NEVER and I mean NEVER gets involved in this particular subject) he said, " Well, some people have called her mad havn't they? But it's generally agreed that Camilla has always been the love of Charles' life so it wouldn't have been relevent who Charles had married if his heart had always been with Camilla. I
True, Charles loves Camilla upon the reflection in the long time span, but what is love without honor? So it is relevant whom Charles had married. He should have married Camilla and insisted upon it at the begining if that love was so proclaimed tenaciously. But Alah, that love was not so strong after all if mere status could tear it apart. Remember his uncle and his even more miserable predictiment. And How his uncle chose, and you call Charles' true love. Give me a break. He is a coward, and Camilla does not wait either, would that be true love? But right now everyone says that's true love, I beg to differ, the issue here is that's not an honorable love, it's a compromised, tainted, and chew-over and left over calculated love, that should not be called love at all. And all of this has nothing to do with Diana. It is between Charles and Camilla and How they started it all.

Channelling Camilla

ELIZABETH RENZETTI reports from London on fashion's unlikely new muse: Camilla Parker Bowles

if(typeof sIFR == "function"){ runSIFR(); }By ELIZABETH RENZETTI

Saturday, March 5, 2005 Updated at 5:35 PM EST

LONDON -- One of the nice things about Camilla Parker Bowles is that, even when she's done up radiantly in a raspberry Jean Muir gown, it always seems like there might be a bit of dog dirt on her shoe.

She will never be the leggy clotheshorse that Princess Diana was. Nor will she ever be a portrait-perfect figurehead, nary a hair out of place, like the Queen. But she's travelled far from the days when her Spitting Image puppet was one degree removed from Secretariat and Mr. Blackwell compared her to "a dilapidated Yorkshire pudding."

And she's got her own constituency. Improbable as it may seem, Camilla's equestrian chic -- complete with straining buttons and clomping shoes -- has been embraced on the catwalks of Europe. Don't take my word for it: Listen to her fellow Brit, Vogue editor Anna Wintour, who saw Burberry's new collection last week and bestowed her approval with the words, "very Camilla Parker Bowles."

At Milan Fashion Week, designers showed for fall a great sweep of country-house "Camilla chic," from Burberry's tweed skirts and thick hose to Marni's flowing, elbow-length-sleeve coats. Prada's and Pringle's collections are heavy with tapestry-like fabrics and voluminous skirts, a nod to country houses where the only thing mouldier than the carpets is the food.

It's a world (perhaps a mythological one) recognizable to the vast majority of us only through films like The Shooting Party or Gosford Park, and the novels of Nancy Mitford or Elizabeth Jane Howard. (The Mitford connection is apt: Charles and Camilla are friends with the youngest and only surviving Mitford sister, the Duchess of Devonshire, and sometimes vacation at her grand house, Chatsworth.)

Maybe the fashion world has realized there's only so much inspiration to be drawn from Gwyneth Paltrow's youthful, macrobiotics-sprinkled years. Or is it that, after years of scorning her as a frump, the cognoscenti has learned her secret: The easiest way to be stylish is not to give a rat's bottom about style?

Let's look at the dress Camilla wore on the night her engagement was announced, because it's instructive. Jean Muir is a fine London label, favoured by the type of lady who regards flashiness as the proper domain of footballers' wives. The deep pink jersey dress clung to Parker Bowles's majestic bosom (although under the camera lights her undergarments were a little exposed) and discreetly skirted an abdomen that is not trampoline-taut.

But who needs Halle Berry's belly when you have Parker Bowles's accessories? On one hand, she wore the lovely, old-fashioned diamond ring that once belonged to the Queen Mother, and on the other arm she had the Prince of Wales, who looked, in his blue-and-red jacket, either like an organ grinder's monkey or a member of Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band.

She seemed like a woman who is making an effort at elegance, more for the sake of her man and her new public role than any inborn desire to shine. And if her hem came down, we knew she wouldn't cry like a Hollywood princess but pull a sewing kit from her evening bag and tack it back it up. Says Camilla's biographer, Caroline Graham, from Los Angeles, "Most people who don't know her look at her and say, 'What the hell is he doing with her? She looks like a horse. She's not attractive.' Which is unfair to her because in person she's quite a bit prettier than she is in photographs. She's getting better looking now that she has people around her who are helping her do her hair and dress. But it's the personality and character he fell for, and that's the woman he loves."

As depicted in Graham's 2001 book, Camilla: Her True Story, Camilla is raunchy, bawdy, fun-loving, discreet and loyal. In the classic manner of well-born Englishwomen (her mother was Lord Ashcombe's daughter and her father a decorated war hero), she would rather hunt than shop, and her tastes lean more to Barbour than Dior. There is a sensuous earthiness to Camilla common to many horse-loving girls. If anything, she is a fairy godmother to today's Sloane Rangers -- young, upper-crust socialites who prowl London's designer shops and It spots dressed in Wellingtons and eggy sweaters.

"She wasn't particularly clothes-conscious; nothing's changed there. But she always exuded a sexy confidence over men," a friend of Camilla's recalls in Graham's book.

Another gives a more pungent assessment: "You're not sure whether they're today's knickers she's got on."

Much has changed since Camilla entered the public eye, and not merely her underwear (one can only assume that her stiff upper deck is the result of shopping at Rigby and Peller, purveyor of undergarments to the Queen). She has had her teeth fixed, wears designers like the glam queen Amanda Wakeley, and tried to quit smoking.

But she's still herself. Says Graham, "She's not a glamourpuss. That's not Camilla. She probably doesn't even know what Botox is. She certainly doesn't go the gym. Her exercise is walking the dogs, riding. She enjoys eating, she likes a stiff drink. She enjoys her gin and tonic at the end of the day."

She probably needs one now more than ever, as her wedding day is rapidly changing. Her future mother-in-law will not attend the civil marriage service; it can't be easy to know that two of the things closest to her fiancé's heart -- this marriage and the throne -- might be mutually incompatible. And more than one-third of the respondents to a Daily Telegraph poll published this weekend thought that the British monarchy would be weakened by Charles and Camilla's marriage.

But the love affair that began on a polo field more than three decades ago will not be denied. On April 8, Camilla and Charles will be wed in the Guildhall at Windsor, followed by a blessing and reception at Windsor Castle. Camilla's wedding outfit is being created by London designers Antonia Robinson and Anna Valentine, who have dressed her in the past. She'll wear a hat by Philip Treacy (although probably not one of the Dr. Seuss confections that Isabella Blow favours).

As for jewels, perhaps Camilla will wear some of the Alice Keppel jewellery that Charles has bought for her at auction. Keppel, Camilla's great-grandmother and paramour of King Edward VII, holds a special place in her heart. When Camilla and Charles met all those years ago, she is said, famously, to have piqued his interest with the words, "My great-grandmother was your great-great-grandfather's mistress. How about it?"

The British people may never warm to Camilla the way they did to Diana, but she can be queen in the hearts of all the fiftysomething women around the world who might ditch their plastic-surgery gift certificates and Spanx, secure in the knowledge that some middle-aged men actually like middle-aged women's bodies.

I got a little shock the other day when I realized that Farrah Fawcett, born in 1947, is a few months older than Camilla Parker Bowles. Neither of them looks like they did when they were younger, although one was transformed by the elements of nature and the other by the knives of science. Farrah Fawcett was a beautiful woman who let vanity ride roughshod over better sense and now looks like her head got caught in a shrink-wrap machine. Camilla Parker Bowles was a rather plain girl who made the best of what she had and let high spirits do the rest. Which of them, do you think, is happier when she looks in the mirror?
  • © Copyright 2005 Bell Globemedia Publishing Inc. All Rights Reserved.​
Source: Globe and Mail

Genevieve said:
Let's ask Will Carling's wife that. She could tell us how she felt when Diana slept with her husband. Camilla slept with a married man, yes, but so did Diana and the world knew about Diana's affair with Carling. Camilla may have lured Charles away from Diana but nobody can say Camilla made Diana have her affair with Will Carling or James Hewitt. And does Charles one affair with Camilla amount to the assorted affairs Diana had? At least Charles could be committed to one woman, even if that one woman was not his wife.

Uh, There has been no conclusive proof that Diana had an affair with Will Carling. More proof exists that she did with Oliver Hoare by books from insiders who have written about it. Will Carling is mentioned basically as a silly infatuation!!

Warren said:
Note that Camilla is proudly wearing her Prince of Wales Feathers diamond brooch.

As she should.

Her wearing that brooch is offensive!

tiaraprin said:
Her wearing that brooch is offensive!

tiaraprin,
whether you like it or not Camilla will be Princess of Wales (by right if not by name) after April 8th. She has every right to wear the brooch as does Dame Elizabeth Taylor who purchased the Duchess of Windsors original brooch.

Personally I find your vitriolic attacks on Camilla very offensive!

wymanda said:
tiaraprin,
whether you like it or not Camilla will be Princess of Wales (by right if not by name) after April 8th. She has every right to wear the brooch as does Dame Elizabeth Taylor who purchased the Duchess of Windsors original brooch.

Personally I find your vitriolic attacks on Camilla very offensive!

It is my opinion and I stand by it. You have greatly offended me numerous times, so we are even!!

Now let's stop the insult match. We don't like each other and we never will. But each of us are entitled to our opinions and neither of us will change our minds on what we believe.

Please refrain from bickering, attacking one another and stay on topic.

Thanks,
Julia
TRF Administrator

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom