The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-21-2005, 05:16 PM
Royal Highness

Camilla And The Public

Just watching a show on TV and one of the commentators said that Camilla should do more of the things that Diana did and let the public assess her suitability. They seem to think that that would be treading into Diana's territory but she should give it a try anyway. I thought it was a good point. Any thoughts on it?

Old 08-21-2005, 05:28 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchess
Just watching a show on TV and one of the commentators said that Camilla should do more of the things that Diana did and let the public assess her suitability. They seem to think that that would be treading into Diana's territory but she should give it a try anyway. I thought it was a good point. Any thoughts on it?
She cannot be Diana or do what Diana did. She could never achieve it first of all, and secondly everyone should be who they are and make their own mark in this world in their own unique way. Believe me, Camilla has unique ways of making history!!

Old 08-21-2005, 05:32 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

What show was that and who was the commentator? That has got to be the stupidest thing I've heard in a long time.
Old 08-21-2005, 05:35 PM
Courtier

I think she should do whatever she wants to. She'll be criticized for it no matter what she does, so she might as well pick the option she likes best because she can't make everyone happy either way.
Old 08-21-2005, 08:39 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicky
I think she should do whatever she wants to. She'll be criticized for it no matter what she does, so she might as well pick the option she likes best because she can't make everyone happy either way.
So true! However, from the charities' point of view, I don't see why Camilla should be banned from them just because Diana used to support them. I somehow doubt they cared who will champion their cause, as long as Camilla help raise loads of money. Having a royal patron definitely brings lots more publicity, and other rich sponsors, compared to a lesser member of the RF or other celebrities. Judging from pictures of C&C's dinner parties, they have a lot of rich friends to call upon to support their causes.
Old 08-21-2005, 08:47 PM
Courtier

I agree. And anyone who would criticize her for involvement in charitable work does not have the best interest of the charity in mind.
Old 08-21-2005, 08:49 PM
Aristocracy

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiaraprin
She cannot be Diana or do what Diana did. She could never achieve it first of all, and secondly everyone should be who they are and make their own mark in this world in their own unique way. Believe me, Camilla has unique ways of making history!!

Newbie here.

& very well stated. Never try to copy someone else.
Old 08-21-2005, 08:51 PM
Aristocracy

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel
What show was that and who was the commentator? That has got to be the stupidest thing I've heard in a long time.
I agree with you also. That is the stupidest thing I have heard. But, hold on to your seats. There will be plenty of stupid things for years to come
Old 08-21-2005, 09:01 PM
Gentry

Totally agree with many of you!

I completely agree with those of you who have said Camilla should not try to copy Diana or do the things she did. In my opinion, she could never come close to doing the things that Diana did, anyway. It would only come across as her trying to be Diana, I think. If Camilla takes a genuine interest in a charity and wants to get deeply involved, then so be it. But it sounded to me like "they", whoever "they" are, were suggesting in this program that she mold herself like a Diana clone and that would never work! I've never heard much about Camilla being involved in charity work. To paraphrase how one of you so eloquently put it, she has her own ways of getting attention (by my way of thinking, that's by stealing someone's husband, being a mistress, etc.).
Old 08-21-2005, 09:01 PM
Aristocracy

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicky
I agree. And anyone who would criticize her for involvement in charitable work does not have the best interest of the charity in mind.
But, to get involved just so you could win over public support( which I don't see happening). That is not the way to go also.

For her she driving down the no win lane. If she was involved before in Diana's Charities then I don't think that it would be a problem. But to now jump in. It would show that she is only doing it to win the public over.

If you want to do it, do it for the RIGHT reasons. Because you Care not for Public relations purpose. & alot of things over the past years have been done for the purpos of Public Relations.

That was one of the reasons why the WORLD loved Diana so. She Truly cared. & it showed. The PR that her Charities received was an added bonus.
Old 08-21-2005, 09:03 PM
Nobility

Camilla is not Diana. She has her own style and her own manner and she should handle the public in a way that is suitable to her. If she were to act as Diana did, it would not come off naturally because it is not who she is. I think in her encounters with the public at official engagements, she has done a good job and it doesn't seem, to me, that she is trying to do or be something she is not, but that is just my opinion. Camilla has to learn she can't impress or make everyone happy. There will always be people out there who don't like her, that's just how it is, but if she acts in the way that is natural to her, it would make it a lot easier than trying to do it someone else's way and failing at it.
Old 08-21-2005, 09:05 PM
Imperial Majesty

I wonder which commentator it was that said that. Sounds like someone wanting to sabotage Diana, Camilla, or both.
Old 08-21-2005, 09:05 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by portergirl
I completely agree with those of you who have said Camilla should not try to copy Diana or do the things she did. In my opinion, she could never come close to doing the things that Diana did, anyway. It would only come across as her trying to be Diana, I think. If Camilla takes a genuine interest in a charity and wants to get deeply involved, then so be it. But it sounded to me like "they", whoever "they" are, were suggesting in this program that she mold herself like a Diana clone and that would never work! I've never heard much about Camilla being involved in charity work. To paraphrase how one of you so eloquently put it, she has her own ways of getting attention (by my way of thinking, that's by stealing someone's husband, being a mistress, etc.).

Here Here.

She should be her own person. & For her wheather people like it or not. Cam has put herself in he position of now having to live up to what diana did for the royal family. She will never reach that level. & Now, she too will know what TRUE pressure will be. When every move, Step, breath, etc..... will be noticed & talked about & critized. She wanted Charles & now that she has him. He comes with a lot of baggage. & she has now open the bags & live with all that stuff.
Old 08-21-2005, 09:11 PM
Nobility

I believe somebody already made this point.If Camilla tries to do everything Diana did casually,not only will she be labeled as someone who is trying to be somebody else,she will be criticized for trying to be like Diana and win over public opinion.However,I do understand what the "man" on the T.V was trying to say.I think he meant for Camilla to take hints from Diana and try to blend in like she did.Ofcourse there was only one Diana and I think media just wants someone else they could haunt like they did with Diana.They believe that by making Camilla do all this, they can make a fool out of her and sell magazines.
Old 08-21-2005, 09:23 PM
Royal Highness

I remember reading somewhere that often times, it is the charity that writes to the person to ask for patronage. Just curious, if the AIDS Trust invites Camilla to be their patron, would that be more acceptable for Camilla to get involved, or will the charity be criticized for betraying Diana?
Old 08-21-2005, 10:37 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incas
So true! However, from the charities' point of view, I don't see why Camilla should be banned from them just because Diana used to support them. I somehow doubt they cared who will champion their cause, as long as Camilla help raise loads of money. Having a royal patron definitely brings lots more publicity, and other rich sponsors, compared to a lesser member of the RF or other celebrities. Judging from pictures of C&C's dinner parties, they have a lot of rich friends to call upon to support their causes.
The last person to take over Diana's patronages is Camilla. Full Stop. Diana's patronages should go to her sons and other members of the Royal Family. Prince Andrew took over for the English National Ballet. Now Andrew is not the first person who comes to mind for being a ballet patron, but at least he is trying! Camilla has to pick her own, unique charities.
Old 08-21-2005, 11:30 PM
Gentry

There are lots of charities that Camilla could become involved in if she would want to. Choosing one of the ones Diana supported would just cause comparisons and while I don't dislike Camilla or anything I don't think she would hold up very well in comparisons to Diana. Camilla should find something though that means alot to her and work towards that cause. She could use more good publicity
Old 08-21-2005, 11:44 PM
Heir Apparent

Princess Diana been in public for 15 years since she got married to Prince Charles in 1981-1997 but many people loves her very much till she died and she been attend Ballet ceremony and lots of more! but i think i would agree with posts! but Camilla would needs get her OWN patronages but i dont wanted Camilla follow Diana's footsteps!

Sara Boyce
Old 08-22-2005, 01:47 AM
Heir Presumptive

im sure Camilla would want to make her own way of contributing to the world. That commentator should know that in order for her to be accepted, she doesnt have to be Princess Diana II. Diana is Diana and Camilla is Camilla, thats it.
Old 08-22-2005, 10:38 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Australian
im sure Camilla would want to make her own way of contributing to the world. That commentator should know that in order for her to be accepted, she doesnt have to be Princess Diana II. Diana is Diana and Camilla is Camilla, thats it.
im going with you! but im complete agree with you!

Sara Boyce

Tags
camilla, duchess of cornwall, public opinion