Camilla and The Public

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That's good to know and you do make a good point. I would never have thought of the New York Post as being a tabloid, I was always lead to believe it was a legitimate news source. But The Globe or Enquire are clearly rags; although the latter is gaining status because of recent scandals it revealed. I've also noticed in my country that once legitimate celeb magazines are falling into tabloid culture. But most of the linx posted on here lead to the Daily Mail site.

I'm sorry but those of us on here do not count as the average American, clearly we fare about the Royals because we are on this board. The people you know may recall Camilla but the people I know cannot. They know Diana, William Harry Kate, barely recall Charles, have no idea who his siblings are, know who Queen Elizabeth but couldn't name her husband. I personally saw no coverage of the jubilee only the Olympics, and the last funeral that was mega news was Diana's, The Queen Mothers might have been big, I do believe I saw some coverage but there wasnt much with Margaret's.
Again I will use the soccer analogy, just because it's a big deal at the moment doesn't mean that Americans have all of a sudden started to care about soccer.
Ofor course there is substantial interest but not enough to justify a phrase that the entire country cares about them.

I'm a little surprised that you didn't see coverage of the Diamond Jubilee. It was on the front page of both the New York Times and the Washington Post. ABC broadcast the concert. The network morning programs had correspondents in London--I specifically remember Meredith Viera's reporting. Pierce Morgan covered it for CNN. Diane Sawyer covered it. Katie Couric met the Queen and interviewed Harry and William. The jubilee made all of the network news broadcasts. I don't think the jubilee was a ratings blockbuster, but it was news in the United States.

That's good to know and you do make a good point. I would never have thought of the New York Post as being a tabloid, I was always lead to believe it was a legitimate news source. But The Globe or Enquire are clearly rags; although the latter is gaining status because of recent scandals it revealed. I've also noticed in my country that once legitimate celeb magazines are falling into tabloid culture. But most of the linx posted on here lead to the Daily Mail site.

I guess I thought a Tabloid was a real newspaper, that printed exaggerated stories. Things like the Enquirer, I assumed was just a joke. I never heard of the Globe. Perhaps, they are all there, but stories about anyone but Diana and Kate receive, almost, a, who cares,attitude here. I have never read anything about Camilla in a real newspaper here. The Post prints sensationalism. But I do not read any of these things, nor did I know there were celeb magazine, nor do I care.

Camilla And The Public

Ok someone google what a tabloid is. I wonder if the def has changed because so many former legitimate publications now write about celeb stuff. I was always lead to believe a tabloid were those joke magazines that have stories of Bigfoot, aliens, John Lennon came back from the grave to kill JonBenet Ramsey.
Camilla has been on the cover of some tabloids, usually she or the Queen are dying and she and Charles are fighting. Despite that I have heard nothing else. Unfortunately because US rags don't care doesn't help that the British ones do.

Last edited:
I guess I thought a Tabloid was a real newspaper, that printed exaggerated stories. Things like the Enquirer, I assumed was just a joke. I never heard of the Globe. Perhaps, they are all there, but stories about anyone but Diana and Kate receive, almost, a, who cares,attitude here. I have never read anything about Camilla in a real newspaper here. The Post prints sensationalism. But I do not read any of these things, nor did I know there were celeb magazine, nor do I care.
Camilla doesn't give the media anything to cover, particularly in the U.S. She supports some great causes, but its not necessarily newsworthy. Camilla isn't young, she's not a fashion plate, and she rarely makes public errors.

Catherine is still a fresh face and there is a lot of fascination about her and William. She received a lot of coverage when she went to Australia and with the birth of George, but generally there isn't a lot on either Catherine and William in regular U.S. newspapers either.

Diana was extremely photogenic and charismatic but the U.S. newspapers didn't cover her day to day appearances after her wedding. Like Catherine, there was a lot of coverage when she had her children or travelled to English speaking countries. It was only during the breakup of her marriage that Diana started to receive regular coverage in the U.S. mainstream media.

The Diamond Jubilee River Pageant air live on CNN and BBC America.

One of those channels is aN American British station, and CNN is just one channel. I recall all stations covwring the election of Pope Francis and he has been on magazine covers i believe, as has the World Cup, the business with Russia and other events.
I can post articles blogs and surveys saying Americans don't care as much as the media wants us to believe, but we are never going to agree on this. You believe what you want and I'll do the same.

Fortunately the role is not an elective one...

Just 16 percent of Brits want Camilla as Queen

> Actually the levels have been around the same sort of level for some time now, and gradually rising.

> The fact of the matter is, IMO, there is no choice constitutionally. The wife of the King is the Queen, just as the wife of the Prince of Wales is the Princess of Wales.

> I think the matter of Princess Consort should quietly be dropped from the websites of the PoW and the Queen. The while concept of Princess Consort was relevant at the time of the wedding as it was unclear how the public would react to Camilla as a royal consort. Nearly 10 years on, she has proved herself, not only as a suitable consort, but within the inner sanctum of the BRF. There could be no better confirmation of that than during HMs Diamond Jubilee celebrations.

It isnt 16% of the british public. Its 16% of those polled.

Does the article give size of the poll? Age split? Gender split? Any information of that type? I never just accept "polls"

Its irrelevant anyway.

Charles opened the door to this. No one would have ever thought to not have a British Queen except for the fact Charles brought it up in the first place.

No one to blame but himself

It isnt 16% of the british public. Its 16% of those polled.

Does the article give size of the poll? Age split? Gender split? Any information of that type? I never just accept "polls"

Its irrelevant anyway.

As you may know, in a scientific poll, the percentages recorded in the sample reproduce, within the poll's margin of error, the actual percentages that would be found in the general population. That is BTW how election polls work: by interviewing 2,000 or so likely voters, it is possible to infer, with 95 % confidence and within a margin of error slightly over 2 %, the voting intention e.g. for a US presidential candidate in a total electorate as big as 120,000,000.

Charles opened the door to this. No one would have ever thought to not have a British Queen except for the fact Charles brought it up in the first place.

No one to blame but himself

Well, this assumes that Charles has changed his mind about the Princess Consort issue and wishes he had never said anything in the first place. But you are absolutely right, no one would ever have imagined the possibility of Camilla being Princess Consort had it not been floated by Clarence House all those years ago.

Well, this assumes that Charles has changed his mind about the Princess Consort issue and wishes he had never said anything in the first place. But you are absolutely right, no one would ever have imagined the possibility of Camilla being Princess Consort had it not been floated by Clarence House all those years ago.

That "possibility" was not floated by accident. It was actually a precondition to make Camilla's marriage to Charles acceptable to the public and to the Royal Family itself.

That "possibility" was not floated by accident. It was actually a precondition to make Camilla's marriage to Charles acceptable to the public and to the Royal Family itself.

I would not use the term precondition, but it was certainly designed to soften the blow.

Lets not forget how much of a pariah Camilla was, in the minds of the British public, not that long ago, because of her presumed role in the break-up of the marriage of Charles and Diana. A lot of commentators considered them getting married quite a risky move, and Clarence House were unsure of what the public reaction might be. With that background, it was probably necessary to clarify that, on marrying the Prince of Wales, Camilla would not use the title of Princess of Wales as her primary title. Similarly, the notion of Princess Consort was created.

Nearly 10 years on, I think the situation is very different. She is widely accepted as a senior member of the BRF, and not really put a foot wrong in her royal life. She is also clearly at ease with most members of the Windsor family and is seen to be comfortably accepted by HM and the Wales boys. I have no doubt that in time, she will be Queen.

Last edited:
I think its clear Camilla's rehabilitation isn't complete or her numbers would be higher

I think its clear Camilla's rehabilitation isn't complete or her numbers would be higher

I don't think Her Royal Highness needs rehabilitation, but the people who can't get over the death of a woman they never knew need to seek psychological treatment.

I just don't think the numbers will rise. If she was 40 years younger and was a fashionista, things might have been different.

I don't think Her Royal Highness needs rehabilitation, but the people who can't get over the death of a woman they never knew need to seek psychological treatment.

I don't think Diana's death is what people can't get over. They can't get over the fact that Camilla was Charles' mistress at a time when he should have been establishing and solidifying his marriage and family life. Neither of them had the strength of character to avoid that particular temptation. I think most people like Camilla and are happy that she and Charles are happily married. But her right to be Queen is still apparently not a done deal for most people. The proposal that she would be Princess Consort would seem to be something that was 'said' rather than meant. Just like marriage vows which were said and not meant.

As you may know, in a scientific poll, the percentages recorded in the sample reproduce, within the poll's margin of error, the actual percentages that would be found in the general population. That is BTW how election polls work: by interviewing 2,000 or so likely voters, it is possible to infer, with 95 % confidence and within a margin of error slightly over 2 %, the voting intention e.g. for a US presidential candidate in a total electorate as big as 120,000,000.

I know all that but polls are just that - a small allegedly representative sample saying what they think at a moment in time.

This kind of poll (and especially from the Mail let's face it) plays with the misconception that as HM the Queen Camilla will have the same rank as QEII and in some way will replace her. The notion of "Queen Consort" is of course quite blurred, sometimes in purpose ...

Looking back at the time before the marriage announcement was made, I cannot remember much about what was being debated in the media concerning Camilla's titles. I seem to remember marriage speculation was in the air and the fact that Camilla's position simply as Charles' companion was not good enough and that he should marry her.

But, who imposed the pre-condition? And if it was imposed by the royal family itself, then it should be stuck to and the press have no business or need to ask silly questions such as should Camilla be queen or princess consort.

If the Wales 'boys' can get over it, why can't the general public ?
Either way they will not be consulted.

IF Camilla wishes to assume the title of Queen Consort, then she will be.. If she doesn't ways will have to be found to change a MILLENIUM of legal precedent [whereby a wife takes the rank and style of her husband].

I profoundly hope she doesn't insist on such a deleterious change, simply as a sop to those who cannot accept that adultery, and divorce are an everyday part of life [and people in all stations of life have these things happen to them], and that second marriages are EVERY bit as valid as first ones.

The DM article refers to a poll by YouGov, but if i try to find it on that website the most recent one on the topic is one from june where most people who were asked then said that Camilla *could* become queen

Camilla can become 'Queen', say public

bit confused now...

It is an online survey. you can volunteer to be part of their panel. Panel members do not get asked to contribute to every poll.

Obviously anyone who does not have online access is excluded.

Another thing is various constitutional experts as well as PM John Major's government stated that Charles couldn't be legally married in a civil ceremony. It was Lord Falconer under Tony Blair that gave the go ahead but some very learned minds still to this day say the marriage isn't legal.

Maybe Charles is hedging his bets with the whole Princess Consort thing. He may have an iota of doubt in the back of his mind and doesn't want anyone to challenge Camilla when he becomes king

That is a much too simplistic view. You simply can't depict a majority (if the polls are to be believed) of the British people as nutcases.

The DM article refers to a poll by YouGov, but if i try to find it on that website the most recent one on the topic is one from june where most people who were asked then said that Camilla *could* become queen

Camilla can become 'Queen', say public

bit confused now...

Me too and that is the problem with polls. Maybe it depends on how the question is being asked. Mention "as is tradition" in the question and most Brits would probably go for that, because in spite of all that goes on around us, traditions at least anchors us to a safe place.

My opinion of Camilla has chagend over they years and in a positive way. When I was just a teen I considered her just a mistress who had to be blamed for everything and was a mean person... Very harsh I know but as I grew up I've started appreciating her sense of duty and work, her humility and never responded to critics but kept her her down and has done what was requested from her... IMO she has changed in my eyes and now I quite like her... and the most important thing is that now I only "see" her engagements and fashion and was able to put the past behind... IMO she has proven to be a valuable future queen and I really hope everybody will see it in the coming months/years...Go Camilla, you have earned my respect... Sorry, rant over :)

Back
Top Bottom