The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-23-2005, 10:38 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enya
I cannot stand that woman, I just cannot. The prince married the love of his life, fair enough, let them live and do what they are supposed to do, as a royal couple. What I hate is the image of Camilla in the media, where she is often represented as some kind of a sophisticated, beautiful idol, with information of what dress she is wearing, who designed her hat etc. I feel manipulated, as I am not very interested in what a nearly sixty-year woman’s fashion style. She does not posses anything I could identify with and irritates the hell out of me, seeing her pictures all over.

Sorry folks, but this is how I perceive her in the public.
Well, I think media interest is inevitable for a while now because her status is relatively new. She's always seemed to be a person who's happier away from the camera, so with luck you'll get your wish when she's no longer new news.:)

Old 12-23-2005, 11:16 PM
Courtier

Prince Charles and Camilla will be probably happier when the press leaves their private life alone and focuses on his works and achievements. I like Camilla's style even it is mocked as "shabby grand":) I am happy that Camilla will probably retain the traditons of royalty and I find that elegant and stylish. Camilla is never a beauty but she always seems very natural and warm to me. A perfect mother figure for me.

Old 12-24-2005, 12:12 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enya
What I hate is the image of Camilla in the media, where she is often represented as some kind of a sophisticated, beautiful idol, with information of what dress she is wearing, who designed her hat etc. I feel manipulated, as I am not very interested in what a nearly sixty-year woman’s fashion style. She does not posses anything I could identify with and irritates the hell out of me, seeing her pictures all over.
I hardly think Camilla has done anything personally to consciously manipulate the media. She's been herself in all public appearances and it's been the media's own spin of transforming Camilla from ugly duckling into the beautiful princess.

If you are going to talk about someone in Charles' life manipulating the media it was Diana in the way she played victim, giving the media clues as to her whereabouts or feeding Andrew Morton stories about her unhappiness and her life.

As for interest in her clothes, I don't know how old you are but if you are young then it's natural to not relate to something someone your mom's age would be more likely to wear than yourself. Not too many teenagers/20/30 or even 40 year olds I know care about what a woman Camilla's age is wearing as the styles one can pull off at a younger age would be vastly different. But I think that you can appreciate Camilla's country chic style for what it is, even if it is not your personal style.

Old 12-31-2005, 12:22 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genevieve
I hardly think Camilla has done anything personally to consciously manipulate the media. She's been herself in all public appearances and it's been the media's own spin of transforming Camilla from ugly duckling into the beautiful princess.

If you are going to talk about someone in Charles' life manipulating the media it was Diana in the way she played victim, giving the media clues as to her whereabouts or feeding Andrew Morton stories about her unhappiness and her life.

As for interest in her clothes, I don't know how old you are but if you are young then it's natural to not relate to something someone your mom's age would be more likely to wear than yourself. Not too many teenagers/20/30 or even 40 year olds I know care about what a woman Camilla's age is wearing as the styles one can pull off at a younger age would be vastly different. But I think that you can appreciate Camilla's country chic style for what it is, even if it is not your personal style.
I think C & C's paid spin doctors certainly manipulate the media in their bosses stead-Diana was not the only one to do this. Imo Charles learned the value of using the media to his and Camilla's advantage-from Diana. His interview on 20/20 was ho-hum and 'sad' as one journalist put it-'they will miss me when I'm gone' was the headline in my local paper's entertainment section the day after. Charles was described as coming off as 'seedy' and I am sure that is not the image he wished to convey. But my point is that he very much uses the media when he chooses to-just like Diana once did.

And btw I don't know but in our papers-The Tribune and the St. Petersburg Times-Camilla is still coming off as Ugly Duckling rather than Swan Princess. 'Frump Tower' was 'borrowed' from the New York Post during their U.S. Tour-and that is one of the kindest things that was said about Camilla's outfits and person.
Old 12-31-2005, 07:06 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genevieve

I totally agree with you Genevieve. As the Christmas crowds proved, Camilla is being welcomed more and more by the public, for the warm, caring, uncomplicated woman that she is.
Truly our new Princess!:)
Old 12-31-2005, 10:51 AM

Right, so Camilla's suitability rests on her fashion sense? Ridiculous. Camilla is a fantastic woman. She makes Charles glow with happiness, she makes people smile wherever she goes, she has a real sense of duty and it shows. She's a damn good Princess of Wales and she's going to be a fantastic Queen.
Old 12-31-2005, 04:53 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan
Right, so Camilla's suitability rests on her fashion sense? Ridiculous. Camilla is a fantastic woman. She makes Charles glow with happiness, she makes people smile wherever she goes, she has a real sense of duty and it shows. She's a damn good Princess of Wales and she's going to be a fantastic Queen.
I agree with you BeatrixFan.
Old 12-31-2005, 07:55 PM
Heir Presumptive

Camilla is at a time in a women's life when one can kick back and just enjoy what may come our way. She is obviously enjoying herself and Charles is just beaming with pride. If we could re-write history we could make the C-C-D triangle less painful but life goes on. She is the wife of the heir to the throne - she is not pretending to be mother Theresa.
Old 01-01-2006, 09:12 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by grevinnan
Camilla is at a time in a women's life when one can kick back and just enjoy what may come our way. She is obviously enjoying herself and Charles is just beaming with pride. She is the wife of the heir to the throne - she is not pretending to be mother Theresa.
Oh Grevinnan, you make yourself sound so old . Trust me there are lots of adventures to be had even when you are Camillas age, or older!
They are so obviously happy together, it seems to glow from them!

I hope everyone is lucky enough to find such love in 2006, as Charles and Camilla share.:)
Old 01-01-2006, 01:42 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth
Well, I think media interest is inevitable for a while now because her status is relatively new. She's always seemed to be a person who's happier away from the camera, so with luck you'll get your wish when she's no longer new news.:)
I think if William or Harry become engaged in the next few years the older Royals will be left in the dust just as they were with Charles and Diana.

I think Camilla would be crucified (in the press) if she tried to be like a Diana (which I am quite sure she does not want to do). She should just be herself. That is really all she can do without coming off as artificial.
Old 01-01-2006, 01:46 PM

I don't think Camilla wants to be like Diana at all - why would she? The original was a nightmare enough for the Royal Family without a faded copy. In a way, Camilla can't help but be like Diana. She's a member of the Royal Family and she has a set image to follow. Camilla has to wave on the balcony, wear pretty hats and meet sick people - and she's Princess of Wales and married to Charles. There's a level of similarity but I agree - she should be herself and I think she is. We can only go on what we've seen of her so far and I think it's all been wonderful.
Old 01-01-2006, 04:42 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Mary I
I think Camilla would be crucified (in the press) if she tried to be like a Diana (which I am quite sure she does not want to do). She should just be herself. That is really all she can do without coming off as artificial.
I think most people have grown beyond wanting a repeat of all the drama we had with Diana.
Old 01-01-2006, 04:45 PM
Serene Highness

I am 40 and like Camilla's style. It's simple, uncomplicated and very pretty. But her clothes are really secondary to her personality. She glows IMO and has a very warm smile and kind, "I am interested in you," eyes. Does she stick with mainly UK designers? I know I botched the name of the design firm which designed her wedding dress but I have read little about the designers she favors for shoes, handbags....even who does her hair.
Old 01-01-2006, 04:55 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon
I think most people have grown beyond wanting a repeat of all the drama we had with Diana.
I think I am going to get away from Diana in this thread-and I hope everyone else does too.
Old 01-01-2006, 04:58 PM

Didn't you bring her up in the first place?
Old 01-01-2006, 05:00 PM
Imperial Majesty

Don't even think about going there, you two.

Now, both of you back off, put your hackles down, go and have a nice up of tea, and stop this incessant bickering.

Elspeth

Royal Forums administrator
Old 01-01-2006, 05:02 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan
Didn't you bring her up in the first place?
I don't think so. But I am trying to steer this back to pleasant waters. I would hope we could all try and cooperate.
Old 01-01-2006, 05:03 PM

I wouldn't go anywhere you didn't want me to Elspeth. I'm still rather full of gin and tonic from last night - blame it on my slightly inebriated state.
Old 01-01-2006, 05:03 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryshawn
I am 40 and like Camilla's style. It's simple, uncomplicated and very pretty. But her clothes are really secondary to her personality. She glows IMO and has a very warm smile and kind, "I am interested in you," eyes. Does she stick with mainly UK designers? I know I botched the name of the design firm which designed her wedding dress but I have read little about the designers she favors for shoes, handbags....even who does her hair.
I too thought Robinson Valentine was one man, that is the name their collection is sold under and most of us presumed it was a man. Some of her outfits are quite inexpensive and very few of the designers seem, at the moment, to advertise the fact that they are designing for her. I love the embroidered items she wears.
With Camilla, none of it feels superficial, she really comes across as wanting to know about you I believe.

She really does seem to leave everyone who meets her, with a happy glow, I really do think that she is an absolute gem.:)
Old 01-01-2006, 05:04 PM

In time Camilla will get to award Royal Warrants and then we'll know exactly who she favours fashion wise!

Tags
camilla, duchess of cornwall, public opinion