The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-27-2017, 07:34 AM
Courtier

When they married was there not a statement issued that when Charles became King Camilla would be known as The Princess Consort? To be official that would, I imagine require a letters patent update? Did that happen? If not, unlike her current known title of Duchess of Cornwall - Charles being Duke of Cornwall - then that is not an official title, or is it? Similiar to Prince Philip? Camilla is currently The Princess of Wales, but will never be referred to by that title, so could she simply assume the PC title albeit unoffficial?

Old 08-27-2017, 07:52 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
The statement was that it is intended that Camilla would be known as Princess Consort. Nothing has been set in stone and as far as I know, no actions have been taken or any statements made to change things unless you count, when Camilla or Charles has been asked, they responded with the statement of "We'll just have to wait and see".

Old 08-27-2017, 08:09 AM
Courtier

Ok, thanks for that clarification Osipi.

Looking back it's an unusual statement, the Queen was going nowhere soon and Camilla's titles would only be a reflection of Charles' after all. Did the spin men jump the gun there? Why say anything at all and just let events happen. Or was it an attempt at apleasement for the anti Camilla peeps out there?
Old 08-27-2017, 08:24 AM
Imperial Majesty

The 'intention to be known as The Princess Consort' is still the official line of the Prince of Wales website.

At the time the PM stated that it would need legislation to remove her title of The Queen. No legislation has been past to strip one woman of the right to use her husband's name and titles.

I suspect that either they will decide it can't be done OR they will make the genders equal so that the spouse of the monarch is always the Prince/Princess Consort rather than King and Queen or Queen and Prince. That would mean that all spouses remain HRHs and only the monarch is HM.
Old 08-27-2017, 08:26 AM
Heir Presumptive

Obviously it was because of the fact that there are some people who are never going to get over the "Diana issue" and the divorce. But most people IMO don't care.
However the RF always tries to cover all the possibiltiies and they wanted to put a sop out to state that Camilla would not use the title of Princess of Wales..and that in the event of Charles succeeding, they had an option ready in case there was a public fuss about the idea of Camilla using the title "queen". But she and C have now been married a long time.. and I think that mostly people are indifferent, and will not be making a big fuss if she is Queen..so of late, the Royals have been temporising and saying "we'll have to see." and IMO she will be queen.
Old 08-27-2017, 08:40 AM
Courtier

Well it is interesting.

When time comes (assuming it does and Charles doesn't pre decease the Queen) will the "intention" be upheld or will legislation take over?

On a more dismal note, should Charles pass before the Queen, what would Camilla's official title become?
Old 08-27-2017, 08:51 AM
Majesty

I believe she would still be called HRH The Duchess of Cornwall should Charles predecease the Queen. Once the queen passes and William is King, Prince George would then be the Duke of Cornwall and Camilla most likely would have the title of The Dowager Duchess of Cornwall but be known as The Duchess of Cornwall most likely until George marries.

I think I got that right
Old 08-27-2017, 12:22 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
Obviously it was because of the fact that there are some people who are never going to get over the "Diana issue" and the divorce. But most people IMO don't care.
However the RF always tries to cover all the possibiltiies and they wanted to put a sop out to state that Camilla would not use the title of Princess of Wales..and that in the event of Charles succeeding, they had an option ready in case there was a public fuss about the idea of Camilla using the title "queen". But she and C have now been married a long time.. and I think that mostly people are indifferent, and will not be making a big fuss if she is Queen..so of late, the Royals have been temporising and saying "we'll have to see." and IMO she will be queen.
Agree.

Frankly this current round of C&C negative chat is the creation of the tabloid press and very few others are interested in the UK. Running polls at the same time as stories of Diana was only ever going to produce one result.

Camilla should be Queen and there will no riots and the monarchy will not fall.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 08-27-2017, 12:32 PM
Nobility

Totally agree with your statement, the only ones that will put up a fuss is the media and the republicans..(and they are really of no importance)..all else could care less for they lead their own lives and have things to take care of. The monarchy will go on as usual and we will have King Charles and Queen Camilla as it should be.
Old 08-27-2017, 12:48 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
Agree.

Frankly this current round of C&C negative chat is the creation of the tabloid press and very few others are interested in the UK. Running polls at the same time as stories of Diana was only ever going to produce one result.

Camilla should be Queen and there will no riots and the monarchy will not fall.
Agree! And the only ones who think that people will riot in the streets are Diana's biased secretaries:
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/428455...-became-queen/
Quote:
PRINCESS Diana’s private *secretary today claims the *public would riot if Charles tried to make Camilla his queen.

Michael Gibbins says there is still deep public resentment towards the Duchess of Cornwall over the way she treated Diana.
My response:

1. People won't even bother to riots over a thing that doesn't affect their live at all.

2. Camilla should and deserves to be Queen Consort.

3. Charles is turning 70 next year: It's going to be documentaries, he's going to receive a lot of praise - also from his sons and things will hopefully fall back to normal.
Old 08-27-2017, 05:28 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee Anna View Post
Well it is interesting.

When time comes (assuming it does and Charles doesn't pre decease the Queen) will the "intention" be upheld or will legislation take over?

On a more dismal note, should Charles pass before the Queen, what would Camilla's official title become?
That legislation could also have to be passed in some of the other realms as well - depending on what is the situation with regards to rights of wives in their respective countries and the status of the wife and the names etc she gains on marriage.

The idea is to punish Charles and Camilla for hurting Diana and the very vocal Diana fans will cry foul if Camilla is Queen.

The fact that 20 years of hard work has been destroyed in the polls in a month with all the documentaries which William and Harry have been involved in as well as the others shows how slight is the real state of support for Charles and Camilla.
Old 08-27-2017, 06:03 PM
Royal Highness

Perhaps HM will give Camilla the style of Princess of the U.K. in her own right.

Abraham Lincoln
Old 08-27-2017, 06:12 PM
Heir Apparent

It would be hilarious if the desires of some members of the public to punish her lead to her actually being elevated in a way that Diana would have never received, and in a way that no female consort has received previously.

Seriously, if the fanatic fans make it so that Camilla doesn't use her husband's title by courtesy (as Diana would have received, as the Queen Mother received, as Queen Mary received, and so on), but instead was made a Princess of the Realm in her own right (which didn't happen for Diana, HMQM, Queen Mary, and so on), that would be hilarious.
Old 08-27-2017, 06:15 PM
Nobility

Quote:
When they married was there not a statement issued that when Charles became King Camilla would be known as The Princess Consort?
I've often wondered if that will be case when HM dies (which I'm not looking forward to), and Charles automatically becomes King and Camilla becomes The Princess Consort as stated... and then a year or so later, when Charles is officially crowned at a Coronation, then perhaps Camilla may become Queen, having spent her time as Princess Consort.

WHo knows?

Anyway, I think Charles will be a good king, and I'm not going to worry if Camilla is Queen, or Princess Consort; but I think it will end up being as it is now, Camilla IS The Princess of Wales, but just called by another title (DoC). I think she WILL be Queen but once again, just called by another title (PC).
Old 08-27-2017, 06:40 PM
Imperial Majesty

The problem is that currently she is using one of Charles' title - Duchess of Cornwall to his Duke of Cornwall - a title he has held since 6th February, 1952.

When he becomes King there is only one female title for his wife - that of Queen.

For her to have a lower title - such as Princess - will say the marriage is morganatic which is not a concept that exists in Britain and was specifically denied Edward VIII when he asked for that option. Having had her use the Cornwall title now for 15 years they would also have a problem with that option as they haven't denied her the right to equal status with him since the marriage.

The comparison between Queen and Duchess of Cornwall simply doesn't work as Charles holds the Cornwall title.
Old 08-27-2017, 06:48 PM
Heir Apparent

This forum is giving too much credence to the recent polls IMO. In recent years not one major poll has proved to be correct.

Election 2010 - Victory for Labour: result Conservative led coalition
Election 2015 - Labour victory (majority government) : result Conservative government
referendum 2016 - Remain: result - Leave
Election 2017 - Conservative win (massive) - Conservative minority Gov.

The pundits that delivered these results ( and this was all the major research companies) have said that Brits don't tell the truth when asked. Inbuilt distrust of polls.

I am not convinced of these royal poll results at all.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 08-27-2017, 10:58 PM
Majesty

I think Royal Norway has hit on something here. Next year after all this Dianamania has died down in September (I'm hoping), there will be a lot of focus on Charles as he turns 70.

Charles and Camilla's PR staff would be wise to promote this and have interviews, TV documentaries on Charles' life and William and Harry actively speaking out about their father. It is the perfect time for some positive reinforcement about the man who will be king.

One of the nicer aspects of doing this is that as we look back through the Diana and Charles years, there isn't overly much that Charles ever did to denigrate, insult and disparage his ex wife in public. That is something the public isn't too very aware of. No matter what, Charles and Camilla have moved on with their lives without Diana being a focus point. Camilla has grown to be a very well respected member of the BRF and has been honored by HM the Queen by being honoring her with the GCVO and appointing her to HM's Privy Counsel. To me, that tells me that HM more than accepts that Camilla will be Queen but even encourages it.
Old 08-28-2017, 02:11 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee Anna View Post
Well it is interesting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I believe she would still be called HRH The Duchess of Cornwall should Charles predecease the Queen. Once the queen passes and William is King, Prince George would then be the Duke of Cornwall and Camilla most likely would have the title of The Dowager Duchess of Cornwall but be known as The Duchess of Cornwall most likely until George marries.

I think I got that right
If Prince Charles dies before becoming King, in the current reign, Camilla will indeed be the Dowager Duchess of Cornwall. In practice, I suspect Camilla will then be styled Princess Camilla or something similar.
Old 08-28-2017, 02:18 AM
Nobility

It seems to me the difficulty some people (myself included) have with warming to Camilla is not so much the woman herself. Yes, she made some mistakes, but who hasn't? It is pretty obvious to even the most casual observer that she and Charles were "made for each other" and should have been together from the beginning. Circumstances, and Charles' weaknesses, deemed otherwise.
When Diana entered the picture, she humanized Charles. Camilla is the opposite. She seems to encourage him to remain in his cocoon of privilege, to be the old fashioned fuddy duddy, the "my-valet-puts-toothpaste-on-my-toothbrush-for-me" royal who is out of touch, fussy and a bit peevish.
Because Camilla seems to encourage and probably protect that part of Charles, she does not endear herself to the public -- because she does not aid in endearing him to the public, she doesn't make him more human,more accessible. It must be very hard for her...in encouraging him to remain as she is, she keeps him happy. But the flip side is that she'll never get the approval of a segment of the population that sees her role differently.
Old 08-28-2017, 02:43 AM
Imperial Majesty

I have the exact opposite view of Charles. He was 'in touch' and very much a man of the people before he was with Diana. As his marriage disintegrated he reverted more and more to the typical upper class nobleman, of Diana's standing, and lost touch and became 'dehumanised'. The valet with the toothbrush story was during the Diana years - and after he damaged him shoulder.

He is more in touch with the average person now than he was in the 80s - and that is Camilla - she has brought him back to where he was before Diana.

Most Diana fans don't look beyond her looks (I know Diana fans who claim she 'couldn't lie as she was young and beautiful' as if being young and beautiful meant she couldn't lie) to see the negative impact she had on Charles - making him miserable from almost day 1. He lost his common touch, he lost his ability to laugh at himself, he took himself way too seriously when Diana was around but now he is the fun loving man he was in the 70s again.

Sadly the public don't want that - they want the miserable man in an unhappy marriage so that Diana could be happy.

Tags
camilla, duchess of cornwall, public opinion