The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-16-2017, 03:45 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
I'm sure that's correct.. Charles tho' IS likely to have a problem with the demotion of his wife, into something, somehow 'lesser'..
WHO would want that for their beloved ?
I quite agree. I believe Charles will see to it that Camilla is titled as a queen.

I saw a brief snippet of an interview with her on TV last year. She's very personable and engaging.

Old 07-16-2017, 04:20 PM
Royal Highness

Hm...

...could settle the title issue with a one line statement. "When I am no longer your Queen, I would wish that my beloved daughter-in-law would be known as Queen Consort." If she expressed that- assuming that Charles and his sons agreed- the matter would be settled. Surely no one would argue with HM.

Abraham Lincoln
Old 07-16-2017, 04:34 PM
Heir Presumptive

That is never ever going to happen! And can you imagine the headlines: (especially if the polls shows otherwise) The people don't agree with the Queen etc.
Old 07-16-2017, 05:20 PM
Majesty

We "never" thought that the Waleses would divorce either. I agree with you though, that it's highly unlikely that HM would ever make any sort of statement about Camilla's future status. What title Camilla will use is a matter between her, the Prince of Wales, and the government. Legally, she will be Queen Camilla. We'll know what the title will be when the time comes. If she has the title of Queen, it means that she'll have to go on all the foreign tours and be much more active generally than she is now. Her stamina isn't what the Prince of Wales' is, and she seems to crave time at her own house. That's why I think she'll want to be known by a lesser title.
Old 07-16-2017, 05:25 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROYAL NORWAY View Post
That is never ever going to happen! And can you imagine the headlines: (especially if the polls shows otherwise) The people don't agree with the Queen etc.
Well, wouldn't the headlines and the polls be similar when/if Charles makes the same statement?

I'd gladly take flack for my son if it would simplify his life in the future. I expect HM could weather a few bits of controversy... Or will it be, "Apres moi, le deluge"?

Abraham Lincoln
Old 07-16-2017, 05:28 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
Does anyone here actually think she won't be Queen? Now as to what she is called that can be a different matter...but legally yes Queen.

LaRae
No, I think she will be legally queen (because she is C's wife) and she will have the title and be crowned.
Old 07-16-2017, 05:38 PM
Royal Highness

At the end Camilla's biggest legacy will be her role as Duchess of Cornwall, like Charles as Prince of Wales. Let's face it, his reign will be short and maybe, just maybe he will be, at the end, alone at Westminster abbey.
It's a terrible thought for some, a wishful thinking for others, but it's totally plausible that the Queen outlives Camilla, considering the health of these two ladies.
With the Queen at 92 and Camilla at 70, we are entering a decisive decade. That's why Camilla's moto is "carpe diem", enjoying every days and every moments.
Old 07-16-2017, 05:46 PM
Majesty

Even when the reign of the new King will only last a decade, that is more than the maximal term for a president of the USA. So it is maybe short in royal comparisons, it is long compared to elected heads of state. Short reigns can go deep. Look at the present Pope. Just 4 years and boy, the old man has changed a whole institution. The new King can have a same effect.
Old 07-16-2017, 06:39 PM
Heir Presumptive

1. As I have told you before, you can't compare the british or other constitutional monarchies with the papacy.

2. The Papacy has real power over the Roman Catholic Church (with its more than 1 billion members) and has absolute power in the Vatican.

3. Pope Francis is a controversial church leader who took over from an even more controversial church leader.

4. The british monarch is (today) the apolitical head of state of 16 countries and head of the Commonwealth, in that capacity the figurehead of two billion people.

5. Charles will be (I think) a good constitusonal monarch and will not interfere in politics (if he does, he would be stupid, and he's not) and unlike Francis who took over from Benedict XVI, Charles is going to take over after the most beloved, popular, iconic, famous and most successful head of state (many would say person) in the world. And therefor, I don't think there will be too much changes under King Charles.
Old 07-16-2017, 06:48 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
At the end Camilla's biggest legacy will be her role as Duchess of Cornwall, like Charles as Prince of Wales. Let's face it, his reign will be short and maybe, just maybe he will be, at the end, alone at Westminster abbey.
It's a terrible thought for some, a wishful thinking for others, but it's totally plausible that the Queen outlives Camilla, considering the health of these two ladies.
With the Queen at 92 and Camilla at 70, we are entering a decisive decade. That's why Camilla's moto is "carpe diem", enjoying every days and every moments.
In fact everybody should do that....it only takes to have had one accidental death in the family to know that everything can stop in a second.....
Old 07-16-2017, 06:53 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
Even when the reign of the new King will only last a decade, <b>that is more than the maximal term for a president of the USA. So it is maybe short in royal comparisons, it is long compared to elected heads of state.</b> Short reigns can go deep. Look at the present Pope. Just 4 years and boy, the old man has changed a whole institution. The new King can have a same effect.

That's not... correct. First, "term" refers to the the time between elections. Second, terms can be restricted in two ways; by the length of the term itself and by the number of terms served. Thus, in the US the president is restricted to serving for no more than two terms, with each term being four years.

However, that is not the norm; worldwide most terms are actually five years (or up to five years), and many countries do not limit the number of terms that can be served.

Also, on the issue of the Pope, Pope Francis is an elected monarch. He came into the role specifically to change it. Charles is not comparable; he's not in any way elected and can only make changes that are supported by the government and/or his family. I would add too that there is a good degree of superficiality to the changes Francis has made, but that's not on topic for this thread.
Old 07-17-2017, 03:24 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROYAL NORWAY View Post

[...] Charles is going to take over after the most beloved, popular, iconic, famous and most successful head of state (many would say person) in the world. [...].
All qualifications are subjective but I am especially curious in the qualification "most successful". What are the objectives to crown Elizabeth II with that laureate?

Let me just drop a name no one thinks about: President Lyndon B. Johnson with his heroic, historic and visionary Civil Rights legislation, with his noble and idealistic War on Poverty and especially his "Great Society" which still provides the Americans programs as Medcare and Medicaid seem more "succesful" than a completely unpolitical figure born to sit on a golden throne, whom happens to have a long stamina and that is all what we can say about her "achievements".
Old 07-17-2017, 06:55 AM
Imperial Majesty

Video:
CNN's Max Foster just posted this amazing video on a day in the life of the Duchess of Cornwall. She brilliantly spoke to Max on CNN and I was moved by her thoughts on domestic abuse and how she want to shine a light on those who's helming people in these situations. Watch here-
http://www.snappytv.com/tc/5264182

A.W. TOZER
Old 08-26-2017, 05:33 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
No, I think she will be legally queen (because she is C's wife) and she will have the title and be crowned.
Regardless of what we think or how we feel about Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall or more precisely Princess of Wales, when Charles gets crowned King, she will automatically become Queen.

I've been following the royals since I was a child and of all the girlfriends that Charles had, Camilla Shand was and is someone that I never liked. I was actually hoping he would have married Davina Sheffield. She was my candidate at the time. When I read that HM Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother "declared" that Camilla wasn't good enough for him and to end that relationship, I was so happy :)

When Lady Diana became the candidate, I was all for her and when they got married, I hoped that it would last, which sadly it didn't. And after all that, he got Camilla in the end. Not a fan of Camilla but she makes him happy so who are we to judge. Just my 2 pennies on the subject :) Sorry if I offended any Camilla fans out there.
Old 08-26-2017, 05:58 PM
Majesty

Telling us what you thought back in the day and what you feel now about Camilla can in no way offend those who admire Camilla.

The only thing that causes offence is when people go out of their way to be rude or nasty which you certainly didn't. You stated your case in a perfectly polite way and although I totally disagree with your final position, I admire the way you stated it.
Old 08-27-2017, 12:26 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Like you, Lisele, I also thought Camilla was the epitome of what the wicked witch of the west disguised as a rottweiler would be. Then again, all my information came from glancing at supermarket tabloids and, at the time, those were pretty much biased towards Diana. Camilla still gets the "gin soaked" moniker quite a bit too I believe.

It was being here at TRF that changed my opinion drastically. I actually followed Camilla's activities, engagements and general knowledge about the woman here over the years and my opinion has changed drastically. To me, she's a warm hearted, down to earth and sees the funny side of life. She may not be everyone's cup of tea and that's OK. She obviously is the only brand of tea for Charles. Humans make mistakes in life and no one is an exception but since becoming The Duchess of Cornwall, she has not put one foot wrong in public nor does she go out of her way to "sell" herself to the public. I admire that.
Old 08-27-2017, 01:51 AM
Imperial Majesty

I like to focus on who Camilla is today. I dont think anyone liked who she was when she was involved in an affair with a married man. That wasn't her good side and I prefer to leave it in the past.

The problem that media want to re-live it over and over again. Mainly due to profit and wanting royal drama.

A.W. TOZER
Old 08-27-2017, 01:58 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
I like to focus on who Camilla is today. I dont think anyone liked who she was when she was involved in an affair with a married man. That wasn't her good side and I prefer to leave it in the past.

The problem that media want to re-live it over and over again. Mainly due to profit and wanting royal drama.
The media may want to re-live "it", but the real problem is that "it" still seems unforgettable and unforgivable to many. That's unlikely to change, no matter how charming and impeccable the behavior of the PoW and the DoC.

Abraham Lincoln
Old 08-27-2017, 02:16 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladongas View Post
The media may want to re-live "it", but the real problem is that "it" still seems unforgettable and unforgivable to many. That's unlikely to change, no matter how charming and impeccable the behavior of the PoW and the DoC.
No one will ever forget, but it's just time for everyone to move on. It make no sense to hold on to something that's been resolved 21 years ago and everyone involved has moved on. Diana has passed, but she wouldn't want her public to hold on to all that pain and hurt. Folks have to learn to let it go.

People have to stop using Di to beat up on these people too. It's not good to use her memory to do that.

A.W. TOZER
Old 08-27-2017, 02:16 AM
Nobility

As my sister here taught me, everyone deserves a *2nd chance in life* and I am a very firm believe in that. I also at one time thought the worst of Camilla and through time and reading and watching and learning I found a really remarkable woman, anyone that takes abused dogs into their home and cares for them and loves them....darn okay in my book.

The thing is....*The past is just that The Past*, we can not change it, it is done and over with and for those that continue to hate her for the past, well that is their problem really not hers that is for sure. And when you can't let go of the past for whatever reasons it might be......then that person is not living today and is missing the present/the now and the today for they are still in the past...what a way to waste your life. And life is way to short to be living yesterday for you should be enjoying the today.

When Charles becomes King Charles there will be a Queen Camilla and that is the order of the BRF......and the way it should be. I do not look forward to losing HM ever yet that is the order of life for everyone, so someday far off in the future we will see both at the helm of the BRF as it should be.

Tags
camilla, duchess of cornwall, public opinion