The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-12-2015, 03:26 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
I consider the Duchess as one of the assets of the royal family whom will become one of the most beloved royals. Wait and see. In 10 years time Camilla has become such a natural part of the royal family and she is able to become a sort of Princess Lilian type. She is a wonderful lady. The total opposite of flat, boring and predictable Catherine.
I totally agree with your assertions regarding Camilla - she is valued very much by Prince Charles who seems to be happier than he has ever been in his life - she is valued by Prince Philip, who is often seen having a joke or a quiet moment of fun with her - she is valued by Her Majesty The Queen who gave her the highest personal honour a Monarch can bestow, the Dame Grand Cross of the RVO in 2012 - and she appears to be valued dearly by her step-sons the Duke of Cambridge and Prince Harry. And the general public seem to be warming to her too.

Old 09-12-2015, 03:54 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_royalist View Post
I totally agree with your assertions regarding Camilla - she is valued very much by Prince Charles who seems to be happier than he has ever been in his life - she is valued by Prince Philip, who is often seen having a joke or a quiet moment of fun with her - she is valued by Her Majesty The Queen who gave her the highest personal honour a Monarch can bestow, the Dame Grand Cross of the RVO in 2012 - and she appears to be valued dearly by her step-sons the Duke of Cambridge and Prince Harry. And the general public seem to be warming to her too.

I don't know if she is valued by her stepsons and in-laws as, quite frankly, I don't live or interact with them on a daily basis. On your last assertion though, whatever boost in popularity that Camilla may have got after marrying Charles seems to have stabilized now and may well be receding. As I said in another reply, I don't see any statistical evidence or objective reason to conclude that Camilla will be a particularly popular member of the Royal Family in any near or distant future.

Old 09-12-2015, 04:54 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
I don't know if she is valued by her stepsons and in-laws as, quite frankly, I don't live or interact with them on a daily basis. On your last assertion though, whatever boost in popularity that Camilla may have got after marrying Charles seems to have stabilized now and may well be receding. As I said in another reply, I don't see any statistical evidence or objective reason to conclude that Camilla will be a particularly popular member of the Royal Family in any near or distant future.

You seems to deliberately forget that 15 years ago or so Camilla was, literally, one of the most hated figure in the UK. This perception has come a long way and if Camilla is not, indeed, the most popular member of the BRF (but what for ?), at least she's accepted at the wife of the heir to the throne and as a key and active member of the BRF : it was the intended goal. When Charles will become king, Camilla will be at his side, whatever her title ; again another intended goal.
When i see the current situation, and relative popularity, of the Duchess of Cornwall all i can say is "mission accomplished" and, for the record, i don't see any objective evidence to see any decreasing in her popularity in the near future either. For now i'm more worried about the Cambridges ...
Old 09-12-2015, 05:05 PM
Heir Apparent

If it announced when Charles becomes King that Camilla will use her legally entitled title as Queen, is there going to be national outrage? I don't think so. People will be morning Elizabeth and intrigued by the accession process which most people haven't seen before.

Most people who are twenty something don't have rememberance of Diana and Charles together. Divorce is a common thing now a days. The UK isn't a highly religious country where the majority of the people would be morally offended by divorced.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 09-12-2015, 06:08 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
If it announced when Charles becomes King that Camilla will use her legally entitled title as Queen, is there going to be national outrage? I don't think so. People will be morning Elizabeth and intrigued by the accession process which most people haven't seen before.

Most people who are twenty something don't have rememberance of Diana and Charles together. Divorce is a common thing now a days. The UK isn't a highly religious country where the majority of the people would be morally offended by divorced.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
I certainly agree with the twenty something part. In History books many years from now on the Royal Family, Diana will be a short paragraph as first wife of King Charles and mother of King William {?} but Camilla will be the Queen sitting beside Charles making history. We, on this forum, adore reading and talking about "Royals". But, believe me, we are an extremely small percentage of the world. Most could care less and only read about them on a special occasion. Most people in America, and friends in South America, could care less about Queen Elizabeth II becoming longest reigning monarch in UK. We enjoyed reading and talked about this milestone.
Old 09-12-2015, 07:33 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnie View Post
I certainly agree with the twenty something part. In History books many years from now on the Royal Family, Diana will be a short paragraph as first wife of King Charles and mother of King William {?} but Camilla will be the Queen sitting beside Charles making history. We, on this forum, adore reading and talking about "Royals". But, believe me, we are an extremely small percentage of the world. Most could care less and only read about them on a special occasion. Most people in America, and friends in South America, could care less about Queen Elizabeth II becoming longest reigning monarch in UK. We enjoyed reading and talked about this milestone.
. In my humble opinion, Diana, Princess of Wales will not be a paragraph in any history book.
Old 09-12-2015, 09:22 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeybees View Post
. In my humble opinion, Diana, Princess of Wales will not be a paragraph in any history book.
As mother of a future king, she'll have to score at least a sentence.
Old 09-12-2015, 09:30 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeybees View Post
Completely agree. Her tumultuous tenure as Princess of Wales, the controversy of the divorce...not to mention the chaos of her premature tragic death and how it impacted the BRF, will all but guarantee more than a footnote in the history books for Diana Spencer.
Old 09-12-2015, 10:09 PM
Heir Apparent

Yes, Diana will certainly feature in future biographies of the Queen, Charles and William, both authorised editions and non-authorised. She won't go quietly, or be wiped out of history that easily.
Old 09-12-2015, 10:13 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
Holding a poll at the beginning of September, when the papers are reporting the anniversary of the death of Diana is poor practice.

As with all polls, the wording of the questions and the timing will influence results.
As you have noted, the poll was timed to perfection and I should imagine the way the questions were similarly couched to reflect that timing.
Old 09-12-2015, 10:51 PM
Imperial Majesty

I think it's unfair to Camilla to compare her popularity to her predecessor. That's not something Camilla is aiming for. She's simply there to be Charles's consort and friend.

When I see Camilla on official royal duty, I think of the late Duchess of Windsor, and how she was robbed of the opportunity that Camilla now have.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 09-12-2015, 11:56 PM
Majesty

Not quite sure where this fits in with the Duchess of Winsor being robbed?
Old 09-13-2015, 12:29 AM
Majesty

Make that two of us MARG!

Far from being "robbed", the multi-divorced adventuress Wallis Warfield Simpson of Baltimore MD did very well for herself in the end.

Camilla is nothing like that woman, lucky for the BRF!
Old 09-13-2015, 12:59 AM
Imperial Majesty

I was just saying that the Duchess of Windsor was robbed (yes I said robbed) of the opportunity to be a consort and gain a connection with the public. Camilla has been given that opportunity.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 09-13-2015, 01:33 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
I was just saying that the Duchess of Windsor was robbed (yes I said robbed) of the opportunity to be a consort and gain a connection with the public. Camilla has been given that opportunity.

The a Duchess of Windsor was a nazi sympathizer in love with a weak man. While the reasons he stepped down were probably unfair, it was most certainly the best thing that could have happened to the country.

I think it does Camilla a disservice, this comparison

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 09-13-2015, 02:06 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHHermione View Post
The a Duchess of Windsor was a nazi sympathizer in love with a weak man. While the reasons he stepped down were probably unfair, it was most certainly the best thing that could have happened to the country.

I think it does Camilla a disservice, this comparison

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
Okay, that hasn't been proven true, but I'm dropping that. I'm just saying that a path was paved for Camilla. It's not a disservice to her.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 09-13-2015, 02:08 AM
Majesty

uee

People need to see things in context. In the 1930's a divorced woman was ruined forever and would never be fully accepted in society proper, let alone re-married or crowned Queen Consort in Westminster Abbey.

Just as Prince Albert would never have been able to marry a real (think Catherine Middleton) Commoner in the 1920's. The marriage of Prince Albert and Lady Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon in 1923 in Westminster Abbey was pushing the envelope more than a little. Albert's marriage to someone not of royal birth was considered a modernising gesture.

Time has marched on and Princess Margaret didn't marry royalty and neither did Charles, Anne, Andrew or Edward. Today the Queen's sister and three eldest children have all divorced, which is pretty much in line with the social mores of our time. Whether we should take it as a lesson that royals should only marry royals or just that's life these days is a question without an answer.

Consequently, Charles and Camilla who married in 2005, are a whole other kettle of fish and for all the rubbish written about them in the DM et al, the notion of Camilla and Wallis being in the same situation is rarely argued.
Old 09-13-2015, 05:22 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

I've deleted and edited a few off-topic posts and moved the rest to the Distribution of jewels in the British royal family thread.
Old 09-13-2015, 05:39 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
People need to see things in context. In the 1930's a divorced woman was ruined forever and would never be fully accepted in society proper, let alone re-married or crowned Queen Consort in Westminster Abbey.
Even today, I'm not sure how the Church of England would feel about crowning a divorced Queen Consort at Westminster Abbey. I assume that might still be an issue for Camlla.

Quote:
Just as xPrince Albert would never have been able to marry a real (think Catherine Middleton) Commoner in the 1920's. The marriage of Prince Albert and Lady Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon in 1923 in Westminster Abbey was pushing the envelope more than a little. Albert's marriage to someone not of royal birth was considered a modernising gesture.

Time has marched on and Princess Margaret didn't marry royalty and neither did Charles, Anne, Andrew or Edward. Today the Queen's sister and three eldest children have all divorced, which is pretty much in line with the social mores of our time. Whether we should take it as a lesson that royals should only marry royals or just that's life these days is a question without an answer.

Consequently, Charles and Camilla who married in 2005, are a whole other kettle of fish and for all the rubbish written about them in the DM et al, the notion of Camilla and Wallis being in the same situation is rarely argued.
Old 09-14-2015, 04:09 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
Even today, I'm not sure how the Church of England would feel about crowning a divorced Queen Consort at Westminster Abbey. I assume that might still be an issue for Camilla.
Well since they now consecrate divorced clergy as Bishops, I don't think that's going to be much of an issue by the time HM dies.

Tags
camilla, duchess of cornwall, public opinion