The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-11-2015, 10:45 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
YouGov conducted a poll between 3-4 Sept 2015 on the popularity of the monarchy.

The question of Camilla's future title was asked.

16% believe Camilla should be called ‘Queen’ when Charles becomes King compared to 38% that prefer the title of ‘Princess Consort’. Just less than a third (32%) feel she should be given no title at all. 13% don't know.

https://yougov.co.uk/news/2015/09/08...chy-here-stay/
I wouldn't bet the house on those polls. At the last General Election all polls had the Opposition winning by a landslide and then . . . .

Old 09-12-2015, 01:07 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post
Because a surprisingly large number of people believe that Camilla is a home-wrecking witch who cast a spell on Charles that caused him to fall out of love with the saintly Diana and leave her and run to Camilla's arms and that since she is to blame, that it is all her fault and that therefore she should be punished by not being known as Queen Consort in due course.
Hahahaha! Well put. My mother has those sentiments exactly! And they have not abated over time.

Old 09-12-2015, 01:38 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I'm of the opinion that when the time does come, no matter what title is chosen and used for Camilla, it will be what it is and if there is controversy surrounding what she is known as, it won't be Camilla or Charles that instigates it.

Regardless of if she's called HM, Queen Camilla or HRH The Princess Consort or just plain Gladys, her role and support of her husband will be the same as it is now.
Old 09-12-2015, 02:26 AM
Commoner

I think the problem is creating a new title like "The Princess Consort" just specifically for Camilla that seems to be an issue. Right now she's the Princess of Wales but uses her next highest title, Duchess of Cornwall. No one has a problem with it because Cornwall is one of her titles. When Charles is King she will be Queen but couldn't she use her next highest title, Duchess of Lancaster?

HM The King and HRH The Princess Consort just sounds weird. We are used to HM The Queen and HRH The Duke of Edinburgh. HM The King and HRH The Duchess of Lancaster would be closer to what people are used to and would avoid having to even bother making up a title just for Camilla.
Old 09-12-2015, 02:45 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
[...] She rarely gives interviews [...]
That is a BIG plus actually. Has Queen Elizabeth ever, ever given an interview?

The interview which was given by the previous Princess of Wales almost destroyed the monarchy, so that was not a too big success either...

As no other media, the British love to frame everything. When they decide that a certain lady is too forceful, she becomes "Princess Pushy". The Duchess of Cornwall experiences the same. She is the most natural, most approachable and most easy-going of the lot. She seems to have a good sense of humour and an infectuous laughter. Yes, I think she will come closer and closer. The Princess Lilian of 1978 was no comparison to the Princess Lilian of 2008. Times change. People too.
Old 09-12-2015, 04:26 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
I wouldn't bet the house on those polls. At the last General Election all polls had the Opposition winning by a landslide and then . . . .
Clearly Clarence House pays attention to polls regarding Camilla otherwise we would all be calling her the Princess of Wales right now.
Old 09-12-2015, 05:05 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Clearly Clarence House pays attention to polls regarding Camilla otherwise we would all be calling her the Princess of Wales right now.
I could be totally wrong but if I remember right, it was Camilla's choice to use the Duchess of Cornwall title and in no way a reaction to public opinion. In 2005, it had only been 7 years since Diana's death and being known by a different title no only respected the memory of Diana but also put to rest any kind of indication that Camilla was trying to step into Diana's shoes.

JMO of course.
Old 09-12-2015, 05:21 AM
Courtier

Quote:
I agree.

Camilla may have chosen her current title hoping to placate the public. The Palace concurs because of the polls.
Old 09-12-2015, 05:36 AM
Majesty

Camilla excluded to take the title of Princess of Wales. She had to respect as he said and osipi memory of Diana. But the Queen's title is different. I see no reason why not get him. All these years showed dedication and work for the monarchy. I think that it deserves.
Old 09-12-2015, 06:05 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Nonsense, already before her marriage it was informed that the new Princess of Wales is known as Her Royal Highness The Duchess of Cornwall (Her Royal Highness The Duchess of Rothesay in Scotland) and they have simply maintained it, with or without any poll. It was also communicated that it was Camilla's wish - apparently out of respect for the mother of her stepsons.
Old 09-12-2015, 06:19 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I'm of the opinion that when the time does come, no matter what title is chosen and used for Camilla, it will be what it is and if there is controversy surrounding what she is known as, it won't be Camilla or Charles that instigates it.

Regardless of if she's called HM, Queen Camilla or HRH The Princess Consort or just plain Gladys, her role and support of her husband will be the same as it is now.
I wonder though if other continental European royal princes will curtsy to Camilla if the British court chooses to refer to her as Princess Consort regardless of whether she is legally Queen or not. I remind you that James and Louise for example are styled as children of an earl even though they should be legally HRHs.
Old 09-12-2015, 06:29 AM
Majesty

Quote:
I wonder though if other continental European royal princes will curtsy to Camilla if the British court chooses to refer to her as Princess Consort regardless of whether she is legally Queen or not. I remind you that James and Louise for example are styled as children of an earl even though they should be legally HRHs.
I would think the best example of protocol would be to look at how Prince Philip is regarded in the pecking order. His role and title now are the closest to what Camilla's would be as a Princess Consort I bet.

James, if all goes according to plan, will eventually inherit the title of Duke of Edinburgh and once Edward is created DoE, Louise will be Lady Louise Mountbatten-Windsor.
Old 09-12-2015, 06:40 AM
Heir Presumptive

As for Camilla, I suppose her low profile is striking to us outside Europe maybe because we got used to high profile royal ladies in the continent like Maxima, Mathilde, Mary, or, to stay in Camilla's generation, Sylvia of Sweden. Camilla , who is not very qualified academically either, pales in comparison.
Old 09-12-2015, 08:28 AM
Majesty

Quote:
At most European Courts the révérence or the bow has disappeared but okay: when it is done, it is done to the Consort too. People curtsied to Prince Philip, Prince Henrik, the late Prince Claus, the late Prince Bernhard, etc. It is not the title, it is the precedence. I can imagine King Charles III issue the following:

"WHEREAS in testimony of the great love which We bear towards Our most dearly beloved spouse Camilla Rosemary Mountbatten-Windsor, being sensible of the high regard and affection in which she is held by Our loving subjects, We are desirous of conferring upon her a style and dignity appropriate to her rank and station.

NOW KNOW YE that We, of Our especial grace certain, do by these presents give and grant unto Camilla Rosemary Mountbatten-Windsor the title and dignity of Princess Consort to be held and enjoyed by her during Our joint lives in all places and on all occasions as her proper title and dignity.

AND We do further of Our royal favor and affection grant unto her, Our said most dearly beloved spouse, that by the said title of Princess Consort she shall have and enjoy the rank, place, pre-eminence and precedence of a royal consort."

Old 09-12-2015, 08:36 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Whereas I just wonder how frequently Charles and Camilla will be face to face with the Continentals to even share a curtsy...
Old 09-12-2015, 08:52 AM
Heir Apparent

Here is the issue some experts have with 'Princess Consort'. The title does not exist in common law.

The constitution already provides a title and precedence for Camilla.

The wife of a King has the highest rank and dignity in the realm after her husband assigned to her by law.

The highest rank and dignity after a king is a queen not 'princess consort'

The reason 'Prince Consort' exits is because the constitution completely ignores the husband of a Queen.

(The Duke of Edinburgh was never created Prince Consort btw but a Prince of the United Kingdom)

Will the government allow Charles to just invent the title out of thin air?
Old 09-12-2015, 11:17 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Here is the issue some experts have with 'Princess Consort'. The title does not exist in common law.

The constitution already provides a title and precedence for Camilla.

The wife of a King has the highest rank and dignity in the realm after her husband assigned to her by law.

The highest rank and dignity after a king is a queen not 'princess consort'

The reason 'Prince Consort' exits is because the constitution completely ignores the husband of a Queen.

(The Duke of Edinburgh was never created Prince Consort btw but a Prince of the United Kingdom)

Will the government allow Charles to just invent the title out of thin air?

The other issue is that in creating the title and denying her the use of the title of Queen, Charles is creating morganatic law in Britain.
Old 09-12-2015, 11:33 AM
Majesty

In 1857 Queen Victoria created her spouse Albert Prince-Consort. I fail to see why King Charles can not create his spouse Camilla Princess-Consort. He can litterally use the Letters-Patent of 1857 and just adapt it to the current situation...

The monarchy is much more flexible than often is thought on these boards. The Prince of Wales marrying for a second time with a divorced lady? No problem. The children of the heir to the Heir also become a Prince of the UK? No problem. Making the succession gender neutral? No problem. Allowing successors to marry Catholics? No problem. Making Camilla a Princess-Consort? That will be no any problem at all, otherwise the Court would not have hinted this intention.
Old 09-12-2015, 11:39 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish View Post
The other issue is that in creating the title and denying her the use of the title of Queen, Charles is creating morganatic law in Britain.
No he is not because morganatic law does not exist. Almost all approved marriages in the British royal family are with "commoners" and have been for several generations. Note that Camilla fully shares in all the Prince of Wales' titles but "is known as" the Duchess of Cornwall or the Duchess of Rothesay, this dismisses any "morganatic" claim. Note that Peter Phillips and Zara Phillips have no any title at all but are nevertheless very much in the line of succession.
Old 09-12-2015, 02:00 PM
Heir Apparent

Holding a poll at the beginning of September, when the papers are reporting the anniversary of the death of Diana is poor practice.

As with all polls, the wording of the questions and the timing will influence results.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,

Tags
camilla, duchess of cornwall, public opinion