The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-07-2015, 11:54 PM
Royal Highness

Osipi,
I think your question will also sway people to respond negatively.

The current question is worded:
In the UK, when a king is crowned his wife typically becomes queen consort. Thinking about if Prince Charles becomes king, which of the following comes closest to your view of his wife Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall?

She should become queen consort, as is traditional for a reigning king’s wife in the UK

She should be given a lesser title, out of sensitivity to Diana, Princess of Wales

Don't know

If the question is asked without leading then you get a better idea.

1. Should the Duchess of Cornwall be given a lesser title of Princess Consort when her husband becomes King?
Yes or No
2. Why?

3. Should the Duchess of Cambridge be given a lesser title of Princess Consort when her husband becomes King?
Yes or No
Why?

Old 04-08-2015, 12:32 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States

You're right. My question would be leading the more I think about it. Thanks!

“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 04-08-2015, 07:57 AM
Heir Apparent

Camilla and The Public

The whole mess could have been avoided if Clarence House never made the statement of Camilla wanted to be know as the Princess Consort instead of Queen mess. They could have just skipped it.

If the question is asked about Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall? Then technically she is divorced from Charles or a widow so it then doesn't matter because her title isn't changing unless she remarries.

And why bring up Kate?

Legally when Charles is King, Camilla is Queen. The King can create her a Princess Consort if he wants but she is still Queen.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 04-08-2015, 09:25 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
The whole mess could have been avoided if Clarence House never made the statement of Camilla wanted to be know as the Princess Consort instead of Queen mess. They could have just skipped it.

If the question is asked about Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall? Then technically she is divorced from Charles or a widow so it then doesn't matter because her title isn't changing unless she remarries.

And why bring up Kate?

Legally when Charles is King, Camilla is Queen. The King can create her a Princess Consort if he wants but she is still Queen.

With hindsight, it is easy to make this statement. At the time of the engagement of Charles and Camilla, the public mood was very different from what it is at the moment. Memories of the "War of the Wales'" were still fresh, and people's perception of Camilla was less positive that what it is today.

This was probably a wise "concession" at the time.
Old 04-08-2015, 09:33 AM
Heir Apparent

Camilla and The Public

The title of what Camilla would use when Charles is King didn't need to be address at the time of their marriage. They could explain why the DoC instead of PoW and just stopped there. Using the DoC title was the concession.

Old 04-08-2015, 09:56 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:

I'm no legal expert, but Clarence House understands otherwise. They issued a statement saying that there is no legal requirement that the consort of a reigning king be addressed as "queen". According to the statement, it is up to the king to decide his consort's title(s). Charles decided Camilla would be addressed as "princess consort" when he is king and I am pretty sure he won't go back on that decision, any poll notwithstanding.
Old 04-08-2015, 10:36 AM
Heir Apparent

Someone can hold a title which is his/hers by law but even is known with another style. That is true.

HRH Princess Louise of Wessex is, despite her rightful royal title by Letters Patent of 1917, known as Lady Louise Mountbatten-Windsor

HRH Prince James of Wessex is, despite his rightful royal title by Letters Patent of 1917, known as Lord James Mountbatten-Windsor, Viscount Severn.

When even persons who have a royal title by law can be "denied" their lawful title by birthright, then it can not be a problem to style persons whom hold a title by virtue of marriage differently. We see this with Camilla. When she is with Charles in Scotland, they are the Duke and Duchess of Rothesay (see example, click on the picture to expand). Outside Scotland there is suddenly a difference in titulature. Completely unneccesary and inconsequent. I would have loved it to speak about the Prince and Princess of Wales indeed.
Old 04-08-2015, 11:05 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
Well said. She has kept her counsel, got on with the royal job, supported Charles and HMQ, maintained her own family life with her children and grandchildren - without putting a foot wrong.

She also seems to accept the royal life (with her own family life safeguarded) in a way that William is not. I think the public see that as well.
Maybe your own option but is not reflected in the polls.

I realize you like C&C but William is light yeas ahead of Camilla in terms of POPULARITY
Old 04-08-2015, 11:28 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post

I realize you like C&C but William is light yeas ahead of Camilla in terms of POPULARITY
Says nothing. Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands has never ever reached spot Number One of the most popular royal list in her country. Never as Heiress and never as Queen. This did not prevent her to become a most beloved and well-respected Queen. The same applies for lots of British royals.

Note that the formulating of the question is important. "Who is the most popular member of the royal family? Make a choice." When someone says "Prince Harry" or "Catherine" this can not be explained as: "Look: the Queen/the Prince of Wales/Prince Edward/whatever is unpopular. That is the wrong conclusion.

When I am asked to choose the car I most like and I can choose a Peugeot 208, a Citroën C3 or a Renault Clio, and I choose for the first one, this does not at all mean I do not like the Citröen or the Renault... on the contrary... give these cars to me, all three of them!

Old 04-08-2015, 12:54 PM
Courtier

A beautifully written article. I agree 100% with the author.

The Duchess of Cornwall has proved that she's a lovely, adorable, woman, an asset to the Monarchy. When the time comes, she'll be a great Queen, or Princess Consort, because the title doesn't really matter: she's amazing!

Camilla has won us over, and deserves to become Queen - Telegraph

Princess Isabel (1846-1921), Princess Imperial and Regent of the Empire of Brazil, after she signed the Golden Law, in 1888, abolishing slavery in Brazil.
Old 04-08-2015, 01:13 PM
Heir Apparent

Wonderful article indeed.
Old 04-09-2015, 01:49 AM
Majesty

Quote:
The title of what Camilla would use when Charles is King didn't need to be address at the time of their marriage. They could explain why the DoC instead of PoW and just stopped there. Using the DoC title was the concession.

I am afraid I have to disagree. At the time, there was quite a lot of debate in relation to her future titles, and the issue of whether she would be Queen or not had to be clarified. Tony Blair had to clarify in Parliament that when Charles accedes to the throne, Camilla will indeed be Queen legally, just as she is Princess of Wales.
Old 04-09-2015, 02:24 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post

I agree and I don't know why people need to put William down to make Camilla look better

Old 04-09-2015, 02:31 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal rob View Post
I agree and I don't know why people need to put William down to make Camilla look better

Or why people need to compare William's or Kate's popularity to put down Camilla.
Old 04-09-2015, 03:39 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

I think Camilla herself couldn't care less what her style is. I hope Charles won't make a fuss about it. In the end it doesn't matter how she is styled, we all know who she is anyway.
Old 04-09-2015, 12:05 PM
Heir Apparent

I've always thought she was something of a good egg that enjoys a chuckle and a little dishing about friends. It's always been clear that she was a good listener and not an egoist. Like a number of her set, she practiced something of an open marriage, which can work unless the press grabs it and decides to expose it in the worst way. That will happen when the openness is with a prince who is married to "the people's princess." Bad luck, that.
Most of all, she clearly knows who she is and is comfortable in her own skin. People like that are indeed fun to be around.
Old 04-09-2015, 06:44 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS View Post
I've always thought she was something of a good egg that enjoys a chuckle and a little dishing about friends. It's always been clear that she was a good listener and not an egoist. Like a number of her set, she practiced something of an open marriage, which can work unless the press grabs it and decides to expose it in the worst way. That will happen when the openness is with a prince who is married to "the people's princess." Bad luck, that.
Most of all, she clearly knows who she is and is comfortable in her own skin. People like that are indeed fun to be around.

I've always had the exact same impression of her, regarding everything you said. I'm glad the sexist press bashing of her as some sort of evil femme fatale seems to be done.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 04-09-2015, 06:49 PM
Heir Apparent

I am delighted by all these positive comments, I have always appreciated her !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cris M View Post
A beautifully written article. I agree 100% with the author.

The Duchess of Cornwall has proved that she's a lovely, adorable, woman, an asset to the Monarchy. When the time comes, she'll be a great Queen, or Princess Consort, because the title doesn't really matter: she's amazing!

Camilla has won us over, and deserves to become Queen - Telegraph
I really LOVE this article thank you for drawing our attention to it !!!!!
Old 04-10-2015, 05:50 PM
Royal Highness

Not satisfied enough with the somewhat positive YouGow poll claming that 49% of the British Public was ready to accept Camilla as Queen, the Daily Mail made his very own poll with some expected different results :

Camilla shouldn't be Queen, say public: And four in ten say Charles should step aside and let William be king | Daily Mail Online

Tags
camilla, duchess of cornwall, public opinion